Roland Fantom X8 and Sonar X3

Author
jtrochez
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7
2014/04/19 23:23:08 (permalink)

Roland Fantom X8 and Sonar X3

Hi, well, im new in the forum, been using sonar for like 6 months with no problems and im planning to keep using it and build a professional studio using it, but this is the thing.
Im planning on buying a Roland Fantom X8 for 2 purpouses.
1. main synth on the studio
2. controlling plug ins in the sonar
I know via midi i can control the plug ins, but i see the roland x8 have the stop/play/rec buttons on board, if possible to use these buttons onboard to control the stop/play/rec in sonar??

Thanks
Joel

Windows 7 X64
Sonar X3
Yamaha 02R
RME HDSP
Roland Monitors and lots of other stuff
chuckebaby
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13146
Re: Roland Fantom X8 and Sonar X3 2014/04/20 08:45:30 (permalink)
I cant see what not, use ACT.
I don't have the X8 but ive used other control surfaces as remote controller.

Windows 8.1 X64 Sonar Platinum x64
Custom built: Asrock z97 1150 - Intel I7 4790k - 16GB corsair DDR3 1600 - PNY SSD 220GB
Focusrite Saffire 18I8 - Mackie Control

Mystic38
Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1622
Re: Roland Fantom X8 and Sonar X3 2014/04/20 16:51:40 (permalink)
Short answer is No.

Please do not purchase the X8 in the belief that it is a control surface, as it is not. Even using the Fantom transport controls for control of Sonar is a major pain in the butt and is better to be avoided.. Rolandclan has historic threads on this from several years ago.

I have the G6 and the main issue is that being both sequencers, neither Sonar nor the Fantom like being a slave.. So, while you can slave the Fantom to Sonar (the best approach for tight timing and reliable song location setting), you cannot use the Fantom transport controls to control Sonar.

You are better off with anyone of the cheap usb controllers like korg mikrokontrol, or even an app on your phone/tablet, or even a second wireless keyboard.

The majority of controls on (particularly older) hardware synths are NRPN data, not CC data and you will find that there is very very limited ability to control anything on Sonar or a VST from the Fantom... as ACT and pretty much everything else ONLY senses CC values..

Also, check the status of any USB driver and Editor for the Fantom X to ensure its compatible with your operating system. I currently have no issues with Fantom G, its USB driver and its Editor (which works fine) with Windows 7.1

Regards

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
vladasyn
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1092
Re: Roland Fantom X8 and Sonar X3 2014/04/20 22:45:59 (permalink)
You can use it theoretically but it does not work. In fact Fantom is a pain. It randomly starts playing sequences from the sequencer when you press Play in Sonar, it is too complicated to be a midi comptroller. It does not transmit MIDI data to any outputs in Single mode- you have to set it up to even play notes in to your sequencer and save it on USB drive. It does not work with any USB drives- you need certain USB drives from the list found on Roland Clan forum. My USN port broke off. Fantom USB driver is not compatible and will not be compatible with Windows 8 computers. My main controller is Yamaha Motif. If you have money for Fantom 8, please, do yourself a favor, get Yamaha Motif FX 8. This board is amazing. It is also a great controller. I have no issues with Motif XS 8. Keyboard is great- keys- awesome. Midi works. No timing issues. And- no it does not control play/stop in sonar, but my qwerty keyboard does.

https://soundcloud.com/vlada-astral 
http://vladasyn.wix.com/astral#
I am a female. Windows 8.1
Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
  Multiple keyboards and modules, software synths.  
jtrochez
Re: Roland Fantom X8 and Sonar X3 2014/04/21 03:00:52 (permalink)
all right, thanks, the thing was because i record alone very often, and i dont always have the keyboard around so i was thinking as a remote, but yeah, i will use a phone app or something. and sure vlad, i will check the motif.

Thanks.
Joel
Mystic38
Re: Roland Fantom X8 and Sonar X3 2014/04/21 08:19:52 (permalink)
Well, pretty clear you don't like the Fantom G..lol, however there is a lot of misinformation in your post that needs correcting.

1. When you press play in Sonar, if you have setup the fantom correctly then there are simply no issues. There is the possibility to control the Fantom SPP from Sonar but its clear you have not set that up. You can also control Sonar and the marker from the Fantom, but using Sonar as a slave on a regular basis is not practical.

2. While like every traditional synth, every single knob, control and internal parameter is accessible over midi, it is not a CC based midi controller and was not designed or advertised as such...its a synth. The fact that it isn't a CC based midi controller shouldn't be a surprise.

3. It absolutely DOES does transmit midi to outputs in single mode. In fact the Fantom has push button access on the pads to transmit to any, some or all of the 16 midi channels. In Live mode, with the ability to setup keyboard zones for all external channels, as a keyboard controller the Fantom is outstanding.

4. It may not work with every single USB drive on the planet, but this is not uncommon for any device. I have purchased several sandisk and HP (without reference to the Rolandclan) and had zero issues in 5 years.

5. Breaking off a USB port is more a reflection of your care of equipment. The Fantom is built like a tank.

6. The non-existent driver for windows 8 is here http://www.roland.com/support/article/?q=downloads&p=FANTOM-G8

I am delighted that you enjoy Motif, and agree that ongoing support is likely to be better for the Motif, but its also much much harder to use with a very complicated UI, much menu diving and a tiny screen. If you value immediacy, particularly in the control of external gear, the Fantom is superior imo.

Whether any synth is a viable midi controller for complete control over VST is still a question for me. Even dedicated midi controllers like Novation still leave lots to be desired and have a high frustration level.

vladasyn
You can use it theoretically but it does not work. In fact Fantom is a pain. It randomly starts playing sequences from the sequencer when you press Play in Sonar, it is too complicated to be a midi comptroller. It does not transmit MIDI data to any outputs in Single mode- you have to set it up to even play notes in to your sequencer and save it on USB drive. It does not work with any USB drives- you need certain USB drives from the list found on Roland Clan forum. My USN port broke off. Fantom USB driver is not compatible and will not be compatible with Windows 8 computers. My main controller is Yamaha Motif. If you have money for Fantom 8, please, do yourself a favor, get Yamaha Motif FX 8. This board is amazing. It is also a great controller. I have no issues with Motif XS 8. Keyboard is great- keys- awesome. Midi works. No timing issues. And- no it does not control play/stop in sonar, but my qwerty keyboard does.

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
Mystic38
Re: Roland Fantom X8 and Sonar X3 2014/04/21 08:45:28 (permalink)
I am not totally clear what amount of control you are looking for.

imo there is no perfect solution for controlling all the parameters of a VST remotely.. even dedicated controller units (such as the Novation automap solutions and similar) have major frustration factors in setting up, indicating the control parameter and its value. Then you still have ongoing connection and setup issues to Sonar, then even when setup you need to remember yourself exactly what knob, button and slider actually controls.

From a control perspective, on the Fantom G, the 4 knobs, 8 sliders and s1,s2 buttons are freely assignable to any CC value that you desire. These, along with pitch, mod, two control pedals and PC messages are plenty adequate for real time control of external devices.. but inadequate for crafting sounds in a VST...where you want OSC1 pitch control, LFO waveform control etc.

regards

jtrochez
all right, thanks, the thing was because i record alone very often, and i dont always have the keyboard around so i was thinking as a remote, but yeah, i will use a phone app or something. and sure vlad, i will check the motif.

Thanks.
Joel

jtrochez
Re: Roland Fantom X8 and Sonar X3 2014/04/21 11:10:39 (permalink)
Well, to be clear, i personally want to get a fantom g8 more than any other, but for me a the moment is too expensive, maybe i will wait a save for it, i will see, also the amount of control i want is minimun, besides the keys and the pitch and mod shifter, only the transport buttons, not really the whole synth, not that i would complain.

I will buy a vs-700 console mixer for my control room DAW controller, so a extra control elsewhere it would be only to press the record button remotely and not going back to my control room, at the moment it wont be like that, cuz i need to build the control room first lol. but im not a guy who can spend thousands every year only in gear, so, im planning for the future

going back to the synth.

i found that on youtube quite i while, that why i wonder if it possible to doit that way with sonar.
Thanks
Joel
jtrochez
Re: Roland Fantom X8 and Sonar X3 2014/04/21 11:59:11 (permalink)
/watch?v=BilsFmFjEzk

thats the link
Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Roland Fantom X8 and Sonar X3 2014/04/21 12:18:22 (permalink)
Controlling Sonars transport is easy with a wireless keyboard. I put mine on a music stand 12' away. I also now use a USB foot controller so I can keep my hands on my guitar. 

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/reviews/911117-pcsensor-footswicth.html

This is all you need for playing 

http://www.gearslutz.com/...17212-roland-49-a.html

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Mystic38
Re: Roland Fantom X8 and Sonar X3 2014/04/21 17:38:20 (permalink)
^ agreed..

I have been using a wireless keyboard too, on a tray below the Fantom, then also an Android app, and previously a korg microcontrol. I am thinking of a simple midi footcontroller as the left foot isn't doing anything :).. then whether its keyboard or guitar its the same...
A third monitor on a swingarm was also a big + as I roam around the synths in my place...lol

Cactus Music
  • Total Posts : 8424
Re: Roland Fantom X8 and Sonar X3 2014/04/21 20:30:29 (permalink)
 I am thinking of a simple midi foot controller as the left foot isn't doing anything :).. then whether its keyboard or guitar its the same...

Check out the X keys foot controller, it's NOT midi which makes it work without issue. 
It's really just a foot controlled mouse/Keyboard you can program to send any keystroke or even mouse action to. 
I tried the cheaper one for a month and one swicth is already broken, but my X key is 10 years old and I have put 1000's of foot stomps on it. It dependable like any well made stomp box. 

http://xkeys.com/XkeysFootPedals/index.php

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/reviews/923689-p-i-engineering-x-keys.html

Johnny V  
Cakelab  
Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
 http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1