Helpful ReplyLoudness, clipping and Class A audio

Author
vladasyn
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1092
2014/04/19 12:59:08 (permalink)

Loudness, clipping and Class A audio

Hey, guys

This is probably well discussed topic, but I want to ask about it in details. I am listening many demo submissions of the electronic music artists who searching for a record deal. Many tracks I am listening are not that complicated but sound very clear and very loud. My tracks usually much busies, have more stuff, but always significantly lower in volume and clarity. I do understand that with 5 tracks it is easier to accomplish clarity than with 50, however... I finally got myself Izotope Ozone mastering plugin. I have tried several presets. It makes my tracks louder, but now that much loud as those artists have.  

My partner keeps saying that the reason their music has clarity is because they use Macs and Macs have better algorythm for audio conversion and recording and that Logic Pro and ProTools are better software, also that Apogy and other Mac-specific audio interfaces, Ad/DA converters just sound better.

I am big Windows defender, I built my last computer at the specs that exceed current Mac specs (well- may be not last Mac Pro), but I can not deny obvious difference in sound. If you on Spotify, try to listen Armin Van Buren A State Of Trance compellation. It comes with about 30 tracks of very high quality of trance songs every week. There is no way the quality of my music would come any close to their level. I do not know how- do they put reverb on each track? Everything is big. I can see a drum track standing out, everything is full and beautiful.

But ok. Back to reality. I hear young kids, new- coming producers sound clearer and louder than me, and I have been working on it for 20 years.  

1). Loudness. Yeah, I know about the Brickwall compressors. But not all of them use Brickwall to make it loud. When you mix, do you let your individual tracks clip, or do you keep all tracks under 0 db? How about Master output? This time I mastered this song with Ozone, and I made it +1 db. I did not like it, but I let it clip. Nothing horrible happened. But it still not anywhere close to the levels those youngsters have. Do I increase it to +3, +5? How do they get it so loud and yet no distortion? Is distortion real? Do we have to stay under 0 db?

2). Clarity. I am listening my old tracks on Spotify, and thinking- not wondering nobody downloads it. It sounds awful. Astral  You dont have to listen it, just in case you want to- here is the link. This was made with Delta 1010 and Phonic Helix FireWire mixer (not Class A). Now I have Presonus StudioLive and hope that it will get better but still. Feels like these new producers just sound clear on their little  Macbook Air and such with no effort. What you think? Thank you.

https://soundcloud.com/vlada-astral 
http://vladasyn.wix.com/astral#
I am a female. Windows 8.1
Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
  Multiple keyboards and modules, software synths.  
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2014/04/19 14:39:12 (permalink)
Mac or PC makes no difference whatsoever. Both machines just do calculations and even use mostly the same components, like Intel processors. Pro Tools or Logic have no inherent audio qualities that make them better than Sonar, and there are quality audio interfaces for Mac and PC.

What makes a HUGE difference is mixing and mastering. As just one example, I use quite a bit of Concrete Limiter on acoustic drums. It tames the peaks and brings up the room sound. I also add some EQ in the upper mids so the percussive hits have more "snap."

On bass, a lot of times I'll add a little bit of saturation. It makes the bass "pop" more and stand out better in a mix.

By the time you've applied a variety of techniques to all the tracks in a mix, you'll have more punch, more clarity, and assuming you don't go overboard, a better audio experience. Then get a good mastering engineer, and it will improve another 20%.

I tried to listen to your music but the browser on this particular laptop doesn't support Spotify. I'll try later.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
keyzs
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 121
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2014/04/19 14:47:46 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Dream Logic Audio 2014/04/19 17:53:39
hi, i'll try to get this started and hopefully others will also chime in to help. 

Firstly, there is an exceptional rule never to cross and that is never get any digital signal above 0db during the mix stage. As for the mastering stage, although it is allowed to go as far as 0.0dB however, the danger is that upon down sampling, there is a very high chance of distortion if True Peaks run above 0.dB during the D/A stage.

the other misconception is with regard to the Mac vs PC thing... there is absolutely no truth in that statement at all. You can have the best of hardwares but not observing the basic fundamentals, it would not server you either. understand that music is fundamentally sound - it is energy and must conform to some sort of science. Be strong and be brave to trust the equipment you have. There are many of us here who are long time users of Cakewalk's DAW and many of us here have produced much ever since getting our hands on our very first version of this wonderful DAW.

Ok... coming back to your issues... one of the first thing you may wish to do is monitor calibration. If you dont have a fixed reference level 83dB at Unity, it is almost impossible to determine just how loud you are mixing. (Do a search for "Monitor Calibration" and try to follow the Bob Katz system.) Bob Katz K-System comprises of 3 different settings. Just not to confuse the issue further, for electronic music, it is generally acceptable to mix and master using the K-12 System.

One of the specifics discussed in length is recording levels. As with electronic music, i'll assume, most will be composed using MIDI, Soft Synths and perhaps outboard synths. If you are recording back into the DAW, just ensure you do not go over -6dbFS; same for soft synths after bounce to track.

As you have got Ozone, contained with in Ozone are the K-System Metering Systems - from within you can select the K-12 metering system. I am not sure if you have just Ozone or Ozone Advanced. With Ozone Advanced, there is a Meter Bridge. Using the Meter Bridge, just keep your average levels at 0, while they peak (into the reds) is more or less the correct loudness for the K-12 system. K-12 means that you will have 12dB headroom to play with.

again using Ozone's Limiter, you can use it to push your levels up even more especially with the IRC III setting. Honestly, i'll advice against this as music needs some room to breath as in dynamic range. To seriously max out will just kill all the effort you have put in during the mix stage. 

As for clarity, one trick is to see what instrument frequencies are clashing using Ozone's Spectrogram. Placing the Meter Taps on individual tracks in Sonar and viewing them individually inside Ozone. Use the EQ to reduce overlapping frequencies or panning the instruments to either side.

On a final note is also using the high pass and low pass filters on individual instruments to reduce mud and cut off any highs which are not present. 

For kick drums and ultra low freq bass, you may want to try high pass at 60Hz, 12db slope and add a +5db boost at 40Hz with very high Q. if you have a sub-woofer, you will be able to feel this. Test this to see if it translates well on playback other systems.

Finally when you have completed the mix, you may wish to compress the track to -12.0db RMS with -0.3db peak. A word of caution is although you may wish to push this any higher than -6.0db RMS will kill off any dynamic range present and chances of distortion will be very high.

hope this help and good luck... cheers!!!
vladasyn
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2014/04/19 17:51:24 (permalink)
Thank you for your detailed replies. Here is a song that I made in 2008. I did everything I could to it then, and left it to ripe for a while. Then I returned to it in 2014 with all experience I gained over time, and invested 2 weeks in listening it over and over and over and trying to alter every detail to make it better. So I feel- there is NOTHING I personally can do with it to make it louder. Also it was mastered on Ozone at +1. It was recorded with Phonic Helix FW mixer- not very high class audio- I think my Presonus today can do better job. This song was recorded at 16/44.1. Not trying to get you to listen my music, just need to see what I am doing wrong.
https://soundcloud.com/vl...clean_astral_2014m-wav

Keyz, you saying almost exactly the same thing my partner is saying, but I am not understanding a half of what you saying. First of all- I just bought Yamaha SH8 monitors 2 days ago. For the last 20 years I have been using headphones to mix. How do I know what volume I am at? Well- I am comparing it to the other tracks. I hear many much weaker tracks that are much louder. I can bet those kids have no idea what you talking about and not doing all those great things you suggested, and their mixes sound better than my. Ok- should I say- sound louder? If a person does not know how to write a song or make arrangement, I doubt they know that well how to mix and use high pass filters, but their mixes sound louder and clearer.
Placing the Meter Taps on individual tracks in Sonar and viewing them individually inside Ozone. Use the EQ to reduce overlapping frequencies or panning the instruments to either side.

I doubt it would be practical to place meters on individual tracks (not know how to do it). This song has over 70 tracks. I do not know what frequencies overlapping. If I have 3 synths sounds playing at the same time in the same range- how would EQ make them not overlap? All 3 have exactly the same frequencies, just different patterns. But they all in the same middle range. I do not like to Pan instruments. Everything I use is panned Center. May be I should reconsider this, but when I hear something to the left or to the right, I feel like I am about to loose a balance and fall off the chair. I hate panning to either side. In fact- this song has accidental pan at the beginning where drums first start on the synth sound, and it drives me crazy, but I could not fix it.

Ok, I do not use Hi pass filters, I use EQ- the one on the channel in Sonar. I get rid of everything under 50 Mhz. Is it how I supposed to do it? Now- what do I do with highs? When I used Ozone setting, it added lots of highs- it was not me- it is Ozone preset. I did not like it but it was best preset for the song. Electronic music has lots of shhhh and sssss- it would be dull without highs. So what you say, I should do?

I put Compressor almost on every individual track. I dont know why- supposedly to get rid of picks and make it punchy? I use that old compressor that comes with Sonar from older versions- it stored under Direct X. It has Multiband and regular compressor. I use presets for drums and synth or vocals... I have Native Instruments Complete, which has many compressors, but I do not hear much change- it gets louder and starts clipping, I turn it does and a track sounds the same, so I can not tell that it obviously became more punchy.

My drums. If I make them any louder, they would overpower the synths. I dont like them loud, but in commercial production, it is not loud- it just stands out.
Here is A State Of Trance link. You need to have Spotify installed, and I strongly recommend to use it- it has everything- for free and for $10 a months- I have more music than I can listen now. A State Of Trance Episode 658  Listen closer to a middle of the list.  

This must be combination of 16 bit and my old Phonic Helix interface that is gone now- now I use Presounus Studiolive. Again- while what I hear while I am making song sounds very clear, the commercial trance music sounds much much better than what I hear right from Sonar via my $200 headphones.

So when you talking about Monitor Calibration- which monitors you talking about? My headphones or my new Yamaha SH8? (I actually did not even hear it playing yet- only hooked them up).

Ozone Advanced. With Ozone Advanced, there is a Meter Bridge. Using the Meter Bridge, just keep your average levels at 0, while they peak (into the reds) is more or less the correct loudness for the K-12 system. K-12 means that you will have 12dB headroom to play with.

I have Ozone Advanced for now. What you mean by average? You mean- I can let pics go over 0 db long as average is still under 0 db? Is there a setting to monitor by average? I thought we looking at picks.

There was a preset in Ozone- something Breakwall limiter. I did not like it. But I do use one of the Ozone mastering presets, as I do not hear well enough to make my own settings. I believe it has EQ and compression. As I said- I set it to run at +1, and it still not anywhere close to how loud everyone has it.

Custom DAW Intel Core I7 3770K, 16 Gb memory, SSD+ 2 x 2 Gb storage. Presonus StudioLive 24.
Anderton
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2014/04/19 19:23:05 (permalink)
First of all...I'm a HUGE State of Trance fan. And I can tell you right now that most DJs
SLAM THE LIVING CRAP
out of their music with maximizing multiband compressors, like the Waves L3. There's a practical reason for this, because you don't want to be tweaking the volume all the time when doing a DJ set.

Personally speaking, with your music there's actual dynamics, which I like. I'm enough of an adult that if I want the music louder, I look for something called a "Volume Control."  Apparently most people aren't aware of this amazing technology LOL.

Ozone has a maximizer that you can use and is quite effective. FWIW I've mastered hundreds, maybe even over a thousand, tracks in multiple genres and my speciality is trying to get a mix as loud as the client wants but with the dynamics I want. It's fine line.

Tell you what. Put a WAV file where I can download it, like Dropbox, or send it via Hightail.com and I'll do a quickie mastering job to show how you can make your sound quality as bad - I mean, as loud - as everyone else. PM me for an email address.

You can hear how I've mastered my own music by checking out the videos in my sig. You can skip the first one, it's a ballad...go to "Magic Spell (I Wish I Was in Berlin Remix)" to hear how I master dance-type music. I consider my mastering to be on the dividing line between dynamics and "loud."

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
Anderton
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2014/04/19 19:27:36 (permalink)
Oh, and two more things:

1. You might want to mix the voice down 1 or 2dB, or limit (not compress) it more.
2. I kept listening  I think there are techniques you could use while mixing that would really benefit your music. Remember, the Mute button for tracks is your friend...dropping things out, then having everything come crashing back in can be very dramatic...

vladasyn
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2014/04/19 21:20:27 (permalink)
Anderton, thank you for your reply. I liked the song "So Tell Me Why I Shouldn't". First part of the song kind of dominates on the right and it is some what not comfortable. Now if you say, it is original and you wrote this song... As a health professional that I am... I should not say anything as this is not a medical forum. lol.

The it gets better as the song progresses. Nice material. Little bit too much psychedelic for my brain. lol. Your videos makes me dizzy. Must be a good thing if you looking for it. 

I have to think of where I can upload the song. You would need unmastered version, right? I do have a box account. Also mastered version that you heard is downloadable from the Cloud.  

Anderton
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2014/04/19 21:37:05 (permalink)
vladasyn
Now if you say, it is original and you wrote this song... As a health professional that I am... I should not say anything as this is not a medical forum. lol.

It makes sense if you watch all the way to the end, where it says "This song is dedicated to the veterans who survived a war, but not the return to society." I received many comments from veteran's groups when it was first posted thanking me for understanding and making people more aware of this problem. But this isn't a political forum, either, so we'll leave it at that.

Besides, I recommended you  listen to "Magic Spell"...that's more appropriate to the kind of music you do. "So Tell Me Why I Shouldn't" is more like rock mastering. But thanks for listening

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2014/04/19 21:44:25 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Silicon Audio 2014/04/20 08:14:50
There are actually a multitude of factors "at play," but would be hard to explain well in a concise manner. Complexity and clarity are often competing. Focus can only be given to one thing at a time usually, so how focus is shifted is important to keep the listener following the song. I believe it was George Lynch who made a comment that getting carried away with speed runs loses the listener because it is "too many notes." He was a good person to say such a thing, since it carries more weight, but speed loses "expression." Simple can be sorely underrated at times.

Similarly, loud can quite easily lose expression in the same fashion. Twisted6 made a very good comment recently to the effect that if people like something, they will turn it up. I was at a place last night where the music was so loud that 1/2 of the place was empty (luckily there was a partial wall between the two halves, at it also included a restaurant). But loud, and the lack of a volume knob drove people away. I just chuckled and said to the people I was with, "Even with great music, loud had its boundaries.... welcome to the 'threshold of pain.'"

Just food for thought, I guess, and not a "solution" in any way; but "complex" and "loud" have their boundaries, and neither necessarily make something "better."

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
Anderton
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2014/04/19 21:59:08 (permalink)
vladasyn
Anderton, thank you for your reply. I liked the song "So Tell Me Why I Shouldn't". First part of the song kind of dominates on the right.  

I believe that if you're going to do stereo, it can be used for a dramatic effect, not just placement. So yes, the electronics tend to be placed toward the right at first. When the distorted guitar and strings come in more on the left later on, I think they make more of an impression as well as provide some "release" for the "tension."

Personally, I actually like centered sound, as that's what live performance sounds like. But in an electronic medium, non-traditional placement has its uses if you're trying to create a specific emotional response.

I'm not saying this is right, wrong" or even desirable. However, my years of being a "teenage rock star" are many decades behind me , and I've been doing music for a long time...so I'm interested in trying different approaches. Several people have commented that the only things my songs have in common is they're posted by the same person to YouTube

robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2014/04/20 01:49:22 (permalink)
Frequency overlap can be a giant problem, as it makes everything indistinct and muddy - hard to pick out notes, that sort of thing.

I found a chart online that I ended up purchasing a copy of, and I use it every time I mix.  It is a laminated multi-colored chart showing the frequency ranges of all kinds of different instruments.

I use it to make sure I know what parts of the song I am working on have a good chance for instrument frequencies to overlap and cause problems, and it is overlaps that I can then notch out or sometimes even rerecord to give each instrument better 'space' and clarity.

A real good example of giving space to each of the instruments is a Genesis song, called ABACAB.  Each and every note of each instrument is crystal clear, because each instrument has its own sonic 'space', where none of the instruments crowd out each other.  If you want to hear phenomenal dynamics, listen to their song called Undertow, from And Then There Were Three. 

Another good example is the song writing of Steely Dan.  The keyboard chords are usually literally 3-5 notes at max, and mostly right-hand only or maybe with a single bass note.  

One of the strengths of the Beatles was to not play too many notes.  Those were the literal instructions given by John Lennon to a bass player named Tony Levin on one of his solo tunes.  John told him he could play whatever he wanted, but just not to play too many notes.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
keyzs
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 121
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2014/04/20 04:56:53 (permalink)
vladasyn
Thank you for your detailed replies. Here is a song that I made in 2008. I did everything I could to it then, and left it to ripe for a while. Then I returned to it in 2014 with all experience I gained over time, and invested 2 weeks in listening it over and over and over and trying to alter every detail to make it better. So I feel- there is NOTHING I personally can do with it to make it louder. Also it was mastered on Ozone at +1. It was recorded with Phonic Helix FW mixer- not very high class audio- I think my Presonus today can do better job. This song was recorded at 16/44.1. Not trying to get you to listen my music, just need to see what I am doing wrong.
https://soundcloud.com/vl...clean_astral_2014m-wav

Thank you for the opportunity to listen to your song. I have PM you on this. 

vladasyn
Keyz, you saying almost exactly the same thing my partner is saying, but I am not understanding a half of what you saying....

I doubt it would be practical to place meters on individual tracks (not know how to do it). This song has over 70 tracks. I do not know what frequencies overlapping....

Everything I use is panned Center. May be I should reconsider this, but when I hear something to the left or to the right, I feel like I am about to loose a balance and fall off the chair. I hate panning to either side....

Oooopss.... i apologise to have confused the issue further. 

You dont have to place the Meter Taps on each and every track. Just on the tracks you suspect there is overlap. Then opening up Ozone's Spectrogram and select the specific colours, you will be able to see which tracks are clouding each other. - The other alternative, as Anderton mentioned, is to use the MUTE button. 

As for panning, it is also not necessary to pan the track hard left or right. With Sonar, you may wish to try 40L or 40R for starters.

vladasyn
Ok, I do not use Hi pass filters, I use EQ- the one on the channel in Sonar. I get rid of everything under 50 Mhz. Is it how I supposed to do it? Now- what do I do with highs...

My drums. If I make them any louder, they would overpower the synths. I dont like them loud, but in commercial production, it is not loud- it just stands out.

Hmmm.... let's try an experiment. 

Create an 8 bar loop with just some drums and bass. Just remember to keep all the tracks separate. You should end up with 4 MIDI tracks and 4 Audio tracks.

Start with a Kick, Snare and Hi Hat; using MIDI and your favourite drum machine. Once done, create a simple bass line, again with MIDI and your favourite bass instrument. 

Once done, do a simple mix just using faders - NO eq, NO compressor, No effects. Balance the way you want and listen. 

NOTE: the following is just a example and some set values may even be wrong.

Now using the ProChannel EQ only, - No fader movements, No other effects...
  1. Kick - set hi-pass to 60Hz, low-pass 900Hz
  2. Snare - set hi-pass to 150Hz, low-pass 5000Hz
  3. Hi Hat - set hi-pass to 400Hz, low-pass 11000Hz
  4. Bass - set hi-pass to 90Hz, boost +1.5db on 120Hz with high Q, low-pass 2500Hz
Listen again. This time your bass and kick should stand out or perhaps sound "louder" while the rest remain just as clear - all without touching the faders. This should get you the very basic concepts of mixing. 

vladasyn
So when you talking about Monitor Calibration- which monitors you talking about? My headphones or my new Yamaha SH8? (I actually did not even hear it playing yet- only hooked them up).

Ooooppss.... once again i apologie for the confussion. Lets not worry about that for now. Monitor and room calibration is a whole other beast. The Yams HS8 are great monitors. Coincidentally i am using them too.

vladasyn
I have Ozone Advanced for now. What you mean by average? You mean- I can let pics go over 0 db long as average is still under 0 db? Is there a setting to monitor by average? I thought we looking at picks.

The K-System meters (use K-12) in Ozone allow you to view the levels with 12db headroom. Meaning to say that when you mix the average should be around the 0 mark. Some levels will jump above the 0 mark into the + or red range. 

Now during your mastering stage, if you so choose to squeeze the mix up, you will have 12db space to do so. 

Using Ozone's Maximizer, set your Margin to -1.0 and then increase Threshold. You will notice the levels on the K-12 meters moving up to the REDs and staying there. As they move the levels will get louder and louder. The trade off here is you will be killing off all the dynamic range. 

NOTE: Do give this a try and see if it works out for you. Just be very careful not to damage your monitors (HS8) or headphones with too loud volumes. 

hope this helps... cheers!!!

dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2014/04/20 08:06:48 (permalink)
I think you are struggling with some basics. Frequency overlap is when two or more tracks share frequency ranges. For example, Kick drum and Bass share some frequencies. Electric guitar and some lead synth patches share frequencies. Piano can use almost the entire frequency spectrum. The point is that you have to decide which frequencies a track needs to live in to sound good in the mix, then remove those frequencies from other tracks that are overlapping. In order to do this, you must be able to hear it. Good monitors and a balanced listening environment are a must.

In the case of a synth pad, it will likely have quite a large frequency spectrum, but only a much narrower spectrum is actually needed to hear the track in the mix (unless the pad also provides bass for the mix as well). Find that range and remove anything below and/or above using HPF/LPF EQ curves. You can also use EQ to move the frequency range of a track as well.

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
Silicon Audio
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 346
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2014/04/20 08:19:23 (permalink)
mettelus
...Complexity and clarity are often competing. Focus can only be given to one thing at a time usually, so how focus is shifted is important to keep the listener following the song...

Just wanted to say, excellent post, mettelus.  One of the best I've read here in a while.

"One of the great and beautiful things about music and recordings in general is that legacies live on" - Billy Arnell - April 15 2012
robert_e_bone
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2014/04/20 09:51:22 (permalink)
I suggest you do a Google search on: instrument frequency chart

Here is one of the links from a search of the above:

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/electronic-music-instruments-electronic-music-production/817538-instrument-frequency-chart-electronic-music-what-goes-where.html

Carving frequencies out to leave room for each instrument, or for those deliberately blended knowing which of those frequencies you want retained, is SUPER important in getting a 'clean' and punchy sound.

Here is a link to the chart I use: http://www.independentrecording.net/irn/resources/freqchart/main_display.htm

The other above link may suit your electronic music sounds better, but both are good.  (I ordered a REALLY nice big color copy of the one I use, and have it hanging on the wall directly in front of me).

Bob Bone

Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
Anderton
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2014/04/20 11:51:17 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Dream Logic Audio 2014/04/21 09:59:50
These are really great posts about mixing issues and overlap. Using EQ to carve out dedicated parts of the spectrum for specific instruments is something I do almost instinctively, so I don't think about it much. But in addition to keyzs excellent example of EQ for drums and bass (as well as his other tips), here are some additional examples from a tutorial project I'm doing on mixing with the ProChannel. All the displays are set for +/-6dB.

Choirs: Use a low-shelf to cut starting at the midrange. This gives the choir more brightness and "air" so it kind of floats over the mix.

Power chords: High pass and low pass create a broad bandpass in the midrange area where other instruments aren't. I also put a peak in at 1kHz which gets across the "meat" of the guitar. This kind of technique can also work with other "thick" sounds.

Pads: Depending on the character, they often fit into one of the above categories.

Vocals: The ear is most sensitive in the 3-4kHz range. Giving a slight boost in this range to vocals lets you mix them lower yet have them cut better. You have to be very careful not to boost too much, though, as these frequencies can make vocals harsh. The following curve is what I used for my voice when close-miking with a dynamic mic. The boost may seem extreme, but my voice is naturally more "mellow" so I need the extras. Cutting the same frequencies with other instruments can also make the voice stand out better. For example with a singer/songwriter playing acoustic guitar, I'll cut the guitar subtly in the 3-4 kHz range when the singer is singing, and boost it when there's no vocal. You don't perceive a change because that part of the spectrum has the same energy in both cases. I would NOT recommend the following curve for everyone, but it works for me.

Acoustic guitar: I sometimes do a shallow, fairly broad parametric cut around 300-400Hz. This is a range where many instruments overlap, and when added together make a "muddy" or "tubby" sound. Cutting a bit makes the highs and lows stand out a bit more. I also do this when mastering with some of the material I receive.

The following screen shot shows EQ for acoustic guitar. In addition to the midrange cut I've boosted the brightness a bit so the level can sit lower in the track, brought up the range around the low E string, and added a sharp low-frequency cutoff to minimize "boom" from the body.

Drums: This was a premixed loop. There's a bit of a bump to bring out the kick, a shallow dip in the lower mids to tighten the sound, and the snare on these drums had a nice "ring" so the midrange peak brings that out. There's also a very slight boost to the highs to make the high-hat more prominent.

Bass: In this song, the bass added more of a melodic component then a rhythmic one. The boost may seem excessive, but there's not a lot of energy up there, and this level of boost brought out the pitch. Note also that timing can make a huge difference in the bass vs. kick issue. If you advance the bass track by a few milliseconds compared to the drums, this emphasizes the melody and makes the bass seem louder. Delaying the bass track by a few milliseconds compared to the drums emphasizes the rhythm and makes the drums seem louder (even though in both cases, there are no level changes happening).

Hmmm...I think I'll flesh this out, and write it up for the Cakewalk blog.

Anderton
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2014/04/20 13:20:12 (permalink)
Here's a good example of sparse production where every element has its own space. When it goes to the denser chorus, the effect is dramatic.

https://music.yahoo.com/v...y-perry-002101570.html

AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2014/04/20 17:44:50 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby robert_e_bone 2014/04/20 18:05:58
Excellent EQ examples, Mr. Anderton.  Many times "seeing" such large yet gentle EQ shapes solidifies the idea of carving up the instruments in a soundstage.

To the OP, I would say trying to make your music as loud as the next guy w/ a limiter isn't a good thing.  However, if you must, less is many times a louder thing.  Trying to get 50 tracks loud means white noise.  Try this - go in and strip out everything but the rhythm and see if the song don't get subjectively louder.  Arrangement is an art we don't talk about enough.  A music line seems louder when we notice it, and the easiest way to notice it is drop the line you previously had in focus.  Once you have a popping rhythm go in and add the most important element (to your ears) sequentially in the song.

And as pointed out above, a little bit of saturation can help the apparent loudness, unless you saturate everything.  Wide panning can help.  And electronic music - like trance and dance stuff, is unnatural.  Unnatural as opposed to a band playing naturally, like rock, where most people have an idea of how the pieces are supposed to fit together.  It makes judgment harder during the mix, although dance stuff has its own rules.  If you like the more sparse effect, work on that until you get it right.  In a few songs you can start adding back the thickening elements and have a feeling where they start to clog things up.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
vladasyn
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2014/04/20 22:30:43 (permalink)
I have to read it again tomorrow when the wine effect wears off and I can store more information in my short term memory at the same time. Lol.

I appreciate the replies, I am not arguing against of your points, rather trying to find practical application to your ideas.

Complexity. The goal is not to purposely be complex. The goal is to express what is on our mind, and often it is very hard to turn in to the sound the mass we create with our imagination. I do not sit down and think, “Let me make something complex, so everybody falls out of the chair”. I am listening hundreds of sounds and I find one sound I kind of like, and then I listen hundreds of other sounds to find another one that matches with the first one. Some time they become one perfectly, some time they only partially match. I try to recreate my idea, I hear it in my head but the right sounds are not always there, or I simply use wrong software synth and the right sound is stored somewhere else in my library. I know I have it, I know it is somewhere but I cannot find it so I use what I get in 2 hours I have for music before it turns 2 am and tomorrow is another day and 7 am comes fast.

Drums. Who has a luxury to record drums on the separate channels? I do not. My drums come from Maschine- 2 tracks stereo, Beat Tweaker- 2 tracks stereo or Yamaha Motif. If I manually play the drums, there is no way I can play just a drum track and then come back and do the snare on another track. So mixing the drums should consider high and low frequencies as they are on the same track.
Synths. I do not understand your point about the “Mute” button. If I don’t want a sound in the song, then I would not put it there, or I would delete it or mute it, but if it is good sound- how Mute would help it sound better? I use a Pad, a rhythm synth (arpeggiated synth) and 2nd arppegiated synth that makes figure with 1st. I like more than one Pad, I like them to open up filters at a different times. If I have 2, 3, 4 synths sounds playing on the same part, how can I EQ them to not interfere with each other? They are meant to be in the same frequency. Now add to it distortion guitar (I do not use accoustic). Metal guitar competes with synths for the mid range. So I have to do my best to select rhythms that would create room for each other and complement each other. The secret is in what your rhythm patter is playing. I have to make sure that guitar player learns what the arpeggiator doing and blends with the synth. I recird 2 guitar tracks and pan them left and right- this is how I was told to do it. One guitar track panned center sounds awful. Guitars 100% L and R.

Now add the vocal to it. Again- you want me to lower my 3 synths, 2 pads and stereo guitars tracks to let the vocals through? Then why did I even bother to put so many details in? You right- it is tough decision- do you want all synth sounds be heard, guitar to cut through or vocals? I noted that with distortion guitars many people have no idea what hides under the guitar tracks. Guitars kind of kill all my keyboard work. But what can I do? I like heavy metal, I want to be in the rock band, and I can not compromise and not do good keyboard work- even if nobody can hear it behind the guitars.

I am sorry if I am sounding as I am my own enemy. My entire songwriting style is at fault. But back to the bassics.

In SONAR particularly- there is no options for the types of meters. I have my meters set to default. So I do not let any picks go over 0 db. Now somebody says- I can let some picks go over 0 db? So where is the limit of how much?

I make sure no picks go over 0 on the Master output. Are you saying- picks can go over 0? How far? When it picks, it stays at +0,1 or +0.2 and so on. How far can I pick?

While my entire production habits are at fault for competing frequencies, other producers have all the complexity and levels and get best of both words. Loudness should not be at the expense of complexity. I hear full frequency of Pads and synths sounds, nothing is cut down, and their tracks are still loud and full. My are not.  

robert_e_bone
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2014/04/21 09:01:24 (permalink)
It is not the sonic complexity so much as the frequency competition that can be the issue.

Notching out a few key frequencies from a particular synth or guitar part may instantly make the guitar sound better simply because it is no longer buried by the particular frequencies that you just notched out, as an example.

I think the suggestion about muting was to point you toward experimenting with particular sections of projects, by just sort of identifying which layers are needed for 'defining' that particular section, for purposes of coming up with some pieces that could be done more sparsly.

The bottom line is that if 10 keyboard parts are playing the same frequency range as where the vocal line is, then the vocals AND the keyboard parts will all be fighting to be heard clearly.  The 'fix' is to identify the most important frequencies for any given point in the project, and to either remove parts or remove frequencies as needed to give the vocals the space to be heard clearly and separately from whatever else is going on at that moment.

If you listen to most successful pop tunes, even though it is a different style, you will notice that the instruments leave space for each other's parts.  When the singer is singing, there is not a lead guitar competing for your focus at the same time.  Everything gets its own 'space', and becomes more prominent only for the parts where they are MEANT to be more prominent.

Bob Bone

AT
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2014/04/21 11:19:42 (permalink)
Vlad,

I sympathize - I too love layered sounds and lots of them.  My usual method of "writing" a song is to work off a main loop, lately it has been bass.  Get 12 or 16 bars, put some drums underneath it, and then work out the structure of the song - ie., how many loops I need to string together for 4-6 minutes of a song.  And change up those basic rhythms, add a second part (much like I did for the first section) as a middle section, just add some variety.  I write a one page lyric sheet, since that seems to fit into right for the vocalist.

Then I get to my point - layering inharmonic synths into it.  that is what I actually like doing - "playing" synth sounds.  Again, I will typically use 3 or 4 different synth sounds I play throughout the whole piece.  Then I bring in my guitarist, and he will lay 3-4 guitar tracks, more or less randomly playing rhythm and lead lines - whatever he feels like.

At that point I start culling the herd of sound, using all the methods described in earlier posts - EQ, panning, and yes, muting.  Even trained musicians can only listen to 3-4 lines or instruments at once.  Usually divided into a rhythmic blur and the lead element that stands out.  And that means, for me, killing off a lot of nice bits and pieces that don't serve the song, as cool as that guitar lick is, or that blob of sound I've found.  Because in the next 16 bars that blob of sound finds its own space where it sticks out.  Or that phrase.  And once it is established, the listener can find it again when it is more submerged, if they are listening for it.  When I'm happy for the music, then I get out the knives again when the singer turns the piece into a song w/ the main melody.

So even if you don't want to go through the culling part throughout your piece, you have to introduce elements, and provide a space when they first appear or come to prominence.  And get brutal about providing such space, even if you don't mute.  Volume envelopes, subtractive EQ, panning all can carve out space.  Even those pads, which I usually think of as more full range, can have the bottom cut off, esp. if you are mainly interested in spotlighting it for the filter cut off.  And cutting out the bottom, even up to 400-500 Hz, leaves that less clogged for the drums and bass, which have more room to punch (tho I think punch needs dynamics, something relatively empty to punch into, but that doesn't seem to be the modern sensibility). 

The other thing is it takes a lot of time, much less talent to get a handle on all the crafts involved.  Learning an instrument, learning how to record it (even running soft synths through an amp and mic'ing it to add some "air" around the virtual thing can differentiate it in a busy song), writing the music, arranging the instrumentation and then mixing it is full-time work for many years.  One of the funniest things I heard about that phenomenon was John Cale, classically-trained musician, co-founder of the Velvet Underground, record exec and solo artist, who was over twenty years into the business before he felt like he knew what he was doing "producing" an album (or CD at that point).  And his work at that time wasn't as good as the earlier stuff (tho that was more a matter of the strength of his songwriting, not the technical stuff).

It sounds like you know what you want to do, it is merely a matter of buckling down and refining your techniques.  That was one reason I suggested muting (or perhaps more a matter of not adding in elements until you get something simpler to punch etc. like you want).  Experimenting on fewer tracks at once might make it quicker to learn what works for you, which you could then expand to more tracks. Or take a "full" song and spend a lot of time on it fooling w/ all the techniques others have written to get it closer to how you think it should sound.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
Anderton
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2014/04/21 11:24:22 (permalink)
There are as many ways to approach music as there are musicians. Symphonic music has plenty of parts playing simultaneously, but they coordinate together to create a single, complex, layered sound, like a string or brass section. Or you have Bach, who has many complex parts going on simultaneously; but he pulled it off because of the jigaw puzzle way in which the harmonies fit together. All the parts retained their own identity in service of a larger whole.

I recently wrote an article for the Cakewalk Blog called "Ten Nasty Mixing Mistakes." Tip number 3 is:

3. Falling in love with a part because it’s cool
The question you really need to ask isn’t whether a part is cool, but whether it contributes to the song. Removing unneeded parts emphasizes the parts that are left—there’s a reason why sometimes the most compelling music is a solo piano, or a singer with a guitar. Exercise the mixer’s Mute button often and ask yourself “is this part (or section of this part) really necessary?” If the answer isn’t a resounding “yes,” nuke it—the remaining parts will thank you. (Note: Muting parts in certain strategic places can also add drama. Again, the mute button is your friend.)

This doesn't mean you can't get lots of parts to work together, but it requires thinking in a more symphonic or Bach-like direction; the former regarding sonic complexity, the latter regarding melodic complexity.

But really, the main emphasis in the advice given here hasn't been about changing the arrangement as much as changing the EQ on elements of the arrangement so that the parts don't compete sonically, but rather, complement each other. By complementing each other, it's possible to increase the apparent level of the parts so they have more prominence.

robert_e_bone
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2014/04/21 12:30:26 (permalink)
I have played piano/keys for decades now, and there was a period in my late teens when I played crazy aggressive, with as many notes as humanly possible, all the time.

It wasn't until I began to record with bands that I learned how horrible that sounded to everyone but me.  Since then, I have learned to play 'in context', and while those are tiny words, they have HUGE impact.

Bob Bone

mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2015/02/14 06:54:55 (permalink)
mettelus
I believe it was George Lynch who made a comment that getting carried away with speed runs loses the listener because it is "too many notes." He was a good person to say such a thing, since it carries more weight, but speed [can lose] "expression."

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I happened to catch a video of George Lynch at NAMM 2015 and it reminded me that I made this post. It is sort of ironic that he made the comment of "too many notes" being distracting to the listener since 64th notes are common for him... but he is one of many players who prove that speed and expression can co-exist.

Slight rig issue at the beginning of this song (never let others touch your rig when performing!) -
http://youtu.be/Mw4uZ_R18w8?t=4m36s

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2015/02/14 13:35:41 (permalink)
Vlad, you are definitely being your own enemy to a degree. Although it is possible to integrate a stereo drum mix into a mix, it is far from ideal. Trying to eq a track that has key frequencies that range from low end to hi end is like trying to make a custom fit dress that fits women sizes 2,  10 and 22 simultaneously. You can make it one size fits all but it will certainly not flatter each size as well as one made in each size.  One of the time honored methods for bringing out the clarity of drums is using high pass or low pass filters to kill overlap. With that said, if you must use a stereo drum mix, treat that component as a submix, utilizing the internal mixing features to their max capabilities. I use geist a lot. If i do go the route of a stereo track going into Sonar, I create isolation within Geists mixer, carving out space for each sound within Geist's system of mixers ( it has mixers on a pad level, layer level and what they call engines ) . I pretty much do what I would in Sonar (High pass or low pass filter on just about every element first before i bother with compression or any other effect). In doing that, the mix initially does not sound that dramatically different when soloed. It's when those other layers of sound drop in that having created a more surgical drum mix makes a difference. That monster kick turns to mud when that monster bass fights for space with it. 

Using multiple synths can be a pain as well because it often requires one to eq the synths in a way in which they sound less good when soloed but much better when played together. I have recently run into the same problem trying to mix several tracks of acoustic guitar. The player wanted several layers of the exact same guitar, meaning tons of notes ended up being the exact same frequency. Like musical chairs, only one person iis getting in that seat comfortably.  For me it meant a combo of choosing which takes would shine in which frequencies, outright cutting some takes (sometimes less is more) and automation to bring parts in and out where the conflict was too much to eq around.

The bottomline is no amount of limiting will compensate for a mix where too many elements are drowning in conflict with others. Sometimes even panning elements using LCR will make things cleaner sounding although your mono mix will sound crappy. I'm sure there is a way to convert your maschine tracks to multiple channels. Almost ashamed to admit that for years i thought one was stuck with stereo in Session Drummer 3 if you did not select mutiple at the beginning. Not sure how it hit me, but one day i just changed output number on snare on a stereo instance and discovered i had more control than i thought.
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2015/02/14 13:53:40 (permalink)
PS- the next time someone tells you that Macs have some magical superior audio capabilies, ask them to show you some measurable proof. My friends and I created identical pro tools mixes on mac and pc and exported with exact same settings using exact same interface and got the exact same result. The moment Macs started using intel processors, you would think some of the Mac myths would disapear. The one major advantage that Mac holds is the overall consticency of experience due to hardware and software and OS (and even some software like Logic) coming from same company.  I concede this can make for a better experience across varying user levels, but narrows among power users. The person with the custom music computer and not using it to watch sloth porn and organize quiche recipes is likely to have as smooth of an experience as a Mac user. I can honestly say my computers don't give me anymore issues than the Mac I use in the studio.
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
Re: Loudness, clipping and Class A audio 2015/02/14 14:05:55 (permalink)
mettelus
mettelus
I believe it was George Lynch who made a comment that getting carried away with speed runs loses the listener because it is "too many notes." He was a good person to say such a thing, since it carries more weight, but speed [can lose] "expression."

Sorry to bump this old thread, but I happened to catch a video of George Lynch at NAMM 2015 and it reminded me that I made this post. It is sort of ironic that he made the comment of "too many notes" being distracting to the listener since 64th notes are common for him... but he is one of many players who prove that speed and expression can co-exist.

Slight rig issue at the beginning of this song (never let others touch your rig when performing!) -
http://youtu.be/Mw4uZ_R18w8?t=4m36s

Not bad for someone turning 60 this year!
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1