return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand

Author
CreatingNoise
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1666
2014/04/20 11:25:54 (permalink)

return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand

Good morning folks.  It has been a long time since Tom and I have been around.  We hope everyone is well and creating songs.
The hiatus of Distant Towers is officially over.  We have just completed our first song for 2014.  It is called Black Death Hand.
We welcome and appreciate any feedback as has been our habit in the past.

You can find the song here....
http://distant-towers.com/DTlatestsong.htm
or here...
http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=12762325

Lineup....
Tom McCaffrey:  Vocals, lyrics, bass guitar, synth, loops
Preston Richardson:  Drums, percussion, drum engineering
Tony Wood:  Guitars
The female vocalist is a young student of Tom's and I am afraid I cannot remember her name.

25 Replies Related Threads

Wookiee
    Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
    • Total Posts : 13306
    Re: return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand 2014/04/20 13:11:36 (permalink)
    Sounds well here nice balance across the mix.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
    Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
    Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
    Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
    CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
    jamesg1213
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand 2014/04/20 16:57:55 (permalink)
    Absolutely superb, and well worth the wait. Brilliant stuff guys.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re: return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand 2014/04/21 02:26:54 (permalink)
    Ha!!!!!! Welcome back!  Tom are you still in the hinterlands?  This is definitely a great reentry tune.  it displays all of what we love and miss about DT.  Personally, I was thinking about you guys the other day and wondering if you were coming back.  I rarely get answers that quickly.  The whole song is great but some of those drum parts are totally off the wall heavy.  I loved them.  The vocal chameleon and his friends strike again.  You all played great and the board is a better place with you here.

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    rebel007
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 926
    Re: return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand 2014/04/21 08:52:57 (permalink)
    First tune I have heard from you, Very nice, especially like the guitar work. Shame on you for not giving said female vocalists name a plug.

Home Built Desktop Computer: Intel Core i5 750: 4Mb RAM: NVidia 210 Silent: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum: Roland OctaCapture
    Presario CQ41 Laptop: Intel Core i5 760: 4Mb RAM: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum (Retired)
    CbB on HP Pavilion Laptop 64bit: GeForce Video Card: Intel 8550: 256GB SSD 1TB Data Drive: Windows10 64bit
    stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand 2014/04/21 14:39:44 (permalink)
    Based on the name I was expecting something more metal than straight-ahead rock...    I like it.  

It definitely has a "feel" to it, and the mix sounds pretty good here.    Nice guitar work.

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

CreatingNoise
    Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1666
    Re: return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand 2014/04/21 19:00:03 (permalink)
    stevec:  Thanks for listening and providing feedback, much appreciated.  I like that it has a "feel" to it. 

rebel007:  Yeah, we were pretty active in the forum up until about 18 months ago or so.  Thanks for taking the time to give some feedback from the listen and for the props on guitar work.  Well hopefully my bandmate Tom will respond and give her name.  I've never met her and that will make sense when and if Tom tells the story behind her being involved with the tune. 

Warren!  How the heck are you?  Glad to see you are still out there....I've got a lot of catching up to do in what you've been creating.  Any suggestions for a start?....something that you are really proud of?  I like that tele in your profile pic, nice!  Thanks for taking the time to listen and comment.....and thanks for thinking about us, glad we didn't keep ya waiting.  Preston really pounded the skins on this one.  He's got a new studio setup and we are all excited about it.  Good to be back among creative, supportive folks. Hope you are doing well.

James!  How you doin?  I was at your Headspace site not that long ago listening to some of the work.  You've really put together some cool stuff.  I still keep a lot of your tunes and collab tunes around.  There is one that gets into my playlist often....you know how with technology it is not as easy to remember song tunes?  Well can't remember the tune but everytime it comes on I think it is Eric Johnson and then remember it is your talented self!  Thanks for listening and commenting.  Hope all is well with you.

Wookiee:  Thanks for taking the time and the thumbs up on the mix.  We are brushing off the cobwebs but hoping that we'll be up to our old tricks sooner rather than later.

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand 2014/04/21 22:31:27 (permalink)
    To me it has a great Zappa vibe. If it was me I'd give the rivvum geeters some more sheen in the 2K or so range. Drums could come up a bit.

All in all great song.
    evadianepug
    Max Output Level: -30.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4477
    Re: return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand 2014/04/22 03:10:48 (permalink)
    Tony, we haven't done anything new for awhile either.  Halloween tunes but nothing normal.  We've been absent also for a few months.  

Fairy tales do not tell children that dragons exist. Children already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell children the dragons can be killed. (GK Chesterton

Warren (Pug) Willingham
    THE PUGTONES
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=919339&content=music
    SonarX3
    thepogue
    Max Output Level: -50.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2458
    Re: return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand 2014/04/22 08:00:50 (permalink)
    Hey all...wow...very strange being back here but I love it!! Hope everyone has been doing fine.

kk first things first...

Wookie...nice to see ya bud! Thanks for the listen and i'm glad to see your still hangin in there bro!

James - What up bud? I echo Tony in that we both dig your site and work you've been doing...everything you do it larger then life and mixed to the "T" good for you my man. Hope your well.

Warren - When the hell did you get out of the pen?...lmao!!..HA...miss ya my brudda! Hope you and the family are doing well bro...Yea I'm still in Korea (a bit over 2 years) and very much enjoying the ride! But I miss say I miss Tony and Preston but we are getting back in the swing. The funny thing is that the delay in tunage has more to do w/Preston moving into a new home (w/dedicated studio for hit Kit!!...woohoo) but I think we are over the hump and we have a few ideas in the shoot.

Rebel007 - ok So the female vocalist is a great family friend and one of my English students here in Korea. Her name is Joo Yeon and she is a 17 yo high school student that sings and plays piano....she did a great job on this and she says she'd love to try it again some day down the line...and I'm sure we'll take her up on that!! Thanks for the listen!

SteveC - Thanks for stopping by! Over the last few years we've put out stuff all over the map but really our game plan is to just keep movin' so we do whatever comes out! Thanks for the listen!

Bapu - Ahhh Zappa is good...Zappa is very good...lol Nice to see you still hangin in here...good for you bub!! Thanks for the good ears....I'll take a peek at the mix!...thats always helpful w/your good ear.
     Thanks bro!

Tom

kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand 2014/04/28 18:40:39 (permalink)
    this song has a lot of great sounds going for it .
    Love the guitar tones ,the guitar part sets a nice groove for the rest of the song parts to play off of.
    I can tell that lot of work went into the arrangement …there was no static song sections at all ….
    great tone all across the board w the instruments and vocals   …this song has a nice mix 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

dcumpian
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4124
    Re: return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand 2014/04/29 19:03:19 (permalink)
    Very nice mix, open and very clear! Cool tune as well!

The section with the strings and chunking guitars could use a little hpf on the guitars. They seemed a little too chunky and sort of buried the strings. Love the vocals, that student was a real find...

Regards,
    Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
    http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
    The Band19
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2795
    Re: return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand 2014/04/29 20:00:33 (permalink)
    Ahhh Black Death Hand... This should have been the first dance at my last wedding...

Gave me a pretty strong Zappa vibe 

I liked it! P.S., don't eat the yellow snow, where the huskies go...
    This actually rocks pretty f'ing hard. That 1st guitar break? Ending w/the chick vox? This is epic.

I would buy a ticket to see you in concert.

Sittin downtown in a railway station one toke over the line.
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand 2014/04/30 09:10:07 (permalink)
    Tony & Tom - it's been a while since I've had the pleasure of listening to a Distant Towers tune!  I've always been a fan and this is no exception!

my only critique is taht you might want to notch out some of the bass in the vocals when the vocalists are singing together.  there's a distorted rumble in the vocals that is unpleasant, IMO.

other than that, I love the song, the production, the talent!  great job guys!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    thepogue
    Re: return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand 2014/05/03 08:51:06 (permalink)
    Kenny - hope your well mate and I'm glad to see your still kicking out great tunes! I've always appreciated your guitar work! Thanks for the listen.

Dan - Thanks for the listen and I'll take your input and go see what I can do in that vein....thanks again!

TheBand19 - Thanks bro...I love reading posts where I can tell folks are listening and typing at the same time..lol..as I do the same all the time!@...lol Really appreciate you coming by and encouraging us!!

Beagle!! Long time my brother!! God Bless you my man I hope you and your are fine! As always I'm thankful for your good ears and input and I agree there's a lil bug-a-boo in there...I was tellin Tony and Preston the same thing..I'll find her!!! lol...thanks bro..take care
    thepogue
    Re: return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand 2014/05/09 22:59:35 (permalink)
    Did a bit of reworking based on the above....think it helps a bit.

RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re: return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand 2014/05/09 23:31:44 (permalink)
    Man, I've got to check in here more often.
    About a month ago I felt like listening to some DT. Must have been a wavering in the force.
    Anyhow, I Googled Distant Towers and got my fix.
    Today I see this song has been floating around here for the past three weeks.
    I like. It has that signature DT sound, but it's unique in its own right.
    I like the introduction of Joo Yeon  to the fold. She adds a nice flavor to your sound.
    Very tasty stuff from all of you guys.
    I'd like to critique the mix, but all I can say is you guys inspire me to get better at my own.
    Welcome back.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    thepogue
    Re: return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand 2014/05/30 20:11:38 (permalink)
    Robert, Hows things in your part of the universe? Yea it was a fun proejct to work on and its great getting some work done from the DT cesspool!! Thanks for the listen and we hope you're doing well!!
    mgh
    • Total Posts : 8594
    Re: return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand 2014/06/02 05:36:35 (permalink)
    hey chaps (and chappess!)
    brilliant recording. one of the best of yours, which sometimes have a mid-range clutter, but this is nice and wide and open. original tune as per norm. only things I might change are to automate the reverb in the part before the solo so the long tails only come into place when the accompaniment stops, and also the lead guitar is maybe a little too out front. love the subtle keys.
    great stuff!

Memorare debut album 'Philistine' available now http://blackwoodproductio...philistine-digipack-cd
    thepogue
    Re: return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand 2014/07/02 04:04:55 (permalink)
    MGH....where the hell have you been bro!!..long time..hope your well!

Thanks for your input and I will go back in and try to un clutter...

kk bro...take soon!

thepogue
    Re: return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand 2014/07/02 04:05:05 (permalink)

kk bro...take soon!

thepogue
    Re: return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand 2014/07/02 04:05:10 (permalink)

kk bro...take soon!

jamesyoyo
    Max Output Level: -40.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3460
    Re: return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand 2014/07/02 16:10:42 (permalink)
    There are some constants in this world:
    Mothers will love their children
    The sun will rise in the East
    And DT will write something cool, creepy and unique.

Love the girl voice, it adds a real off-touch that makes it even more menacing. Lots of thought on this one.

The bass seems a bit lost: it is a cool line, though I can feel it in my subs but not in the over 80hz range.

I might think about pushing that drum kit a bit further back with some room reverb. It seems too far out front especially during the verses. Also cut a ton of the low end on the floor toms as they are really resonating.
    philz
    • Total Posts : 2462
    Re: return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand 2014/07/03 13:09:43 (permalink)
    Ambitious return tune and just extraordinarily well done guys.  Absolutely riveting!

I listened on pc speakers so I'll leave mix comments to those better equipped to make them.
    Freddy J
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2348
    Re: return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand 2014/07/06 18:12:07 (permalink)
    Boy it seems like a lifetime since I have heard something from DT, and what a treat.  I don't have any comments on the mix --- it all sounds great to me.  The male vocal is wonderful and the female part really complements and adds to the song.  What a terrific number and arrangement.  The faint whispers at the end --- inspired.
    Absolutely brilliant stuff ya'll!!!!
    Bob Oister
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2766
    Re: return of Distant Towers, new song Black Death Hand 2014/07/09 04:03:18 (permalink)
    Hey, Guys,

It's really great to hear some new DT music around these parts!  It's good to see you around again!

Fantastic song with clever songwriting, dynamite performances from all three of you, and the addition of the female vocals was a nice surprise and provided a cool element of change.  The clean, punchy mix sounds stellar on my system.

Excellent work, boys, another great addition to your very tasty DT catalog!

Have a good one, guys!
    Bob
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1