Copying midi clip causes midi track's audio and VST assignment to copy as well - why?

Author
shrike
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 15
2014/04/21 05:45:12 (permalink)

Copying midi clip causes midi track's audio and VST assignment to copy as well - why?

Hi, everybody!
I'm new to Sonar and to this forum so have some patience, please :-)

This is what I do:
I have Independence Pro VST and I'm using it in Sonar X3. I have several midi tracks with several instruments loaded, every midi track runs on different midi channel, those midi tracks are routed to separate audio tracks, every intrument in IndePro is assigned to different mixer channel, for example:
midi track 1 runs on midi channel 1, is routed to audio track 1 which is routed to VST's mixer channel Stereo 1, instrument One in IndePro is routed to mixer channel Stereo 1,
midi track 2 runs on midi channel 2, is routed to audio track 2 which is routed to VST's mixer channel Stereo 2, instrument Two in IndePro is routed mixer channel Stereo 2, etc...

This is my problem:
when I copy midi clip from midi track 1 to midi track 2, it doesn't copy just raw data but audio and VST assignment as well, meaning data from midi track 2 is still routed to audio track 1 and stereo channel 1 and VST instrument in midi track 1, ignoring the fact that midi 2 track's routing are properly routed to audio 2/stereo channel 2/midi channel 2/VST instrument assigned to midi channel 2. So, midi data in midi track 2 plays VST instrument assigned to midi channel 1, ignoring all those routings.

What I want is to copy midi clip to several midi tracks which all contain different instrument, so I can score orchestral part, in this particular scenario, strings, by assigning different notes to different instruments. But in my case, all those midi tracks play VST instrument assigned to midi track from which I've copied the midi clip.

I want to copy midi clip without it being routed to certain VST instrument and Audio track, just raw data.

How can I do that?

Excuse me for a long post, but I want anyone who can solve this problem to be sure of what the problem is.

Thanks in advance.

Best regards,

Ivan

12 Replies Related Threads

robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Copying midi clip causes midi track's audio and VST assignment to copy as well - why? 2014/04/21 07:54:07 (permalink)
    I think I need you to list the exact steps you do to create this issue, because when I load up an instance of Kontakt with multiple instruments, and insert corresponding audio and midi tracks, then copy/paste midi clips from one midi track to another, everything works as expected: no routing assignments get changed, and each pasted midi clip plays the correct instrument sound for where the midi clip got pasted (if I pasted a piano midi clip to the organ midi track and hit Play, the organ midi tracks plays the organ sound using the note events as present in the pasted midi clip, and all audio and midi routing assignments remain as they were prior to the paste operations).

So, please do list exactly the steps in your project that produce the results you are seeing, and maybe between us we can figure out why it is flaking out in your project but not in mine.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    Bigdogs
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 378
    Re: Copying midi clip causes midi track's audio and VST assignment to copy as well - why? 2014/04/21 07:55:23 (permalink)
    Does it show this behaviour if you use a different softsynth? I don't have independence pro installed and tried to replicate your problem with 3 separate synths, and everything worked as you'd expect.
    Simon

Sonar Platinum 64 bit, Windows 10 64 bit, i5 4670K Haswell Processor,  4.2GHz, 8Gb RAM, Focusrite Scarlett 2i4, AMD Radeon R7 260X, 120GB Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 1000GB 7200RPM Hard Disk     
    shrike
    Re: Copying midi clip causes midi track's audio and VST assignment to copy as well - why? 2014/04/21 08:41:54 (permalink)
    Obviously, it's something with Independence Pro, it seems...now I've tried making a simple project, recording something in one soft synth, than moving the clip to the midi track where Inde Pro is assigned - I had no sound what so ever. Then I moved that same clip to the third midi track where yet another VST was assigned and everything played as expected.
    Also, when I record something using Inde Pro, no matter where I drag the midi clip, it always refers to and triggers Inde Pro instrument and audio channel where/with which clip was originaly recorded. I don't know...it's like Inde Pro is preserving some data I can't get into.
    Maybe it's not a Sonar thing.
    Thanks for your responses, I'm very grateful.
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Copying midi clip causes midi track's audio and VST assignment to copy as well - why? 2014/04/21 09:09:59 (permalink)
    What I do not understand is how that particular soft synth would have any means of even understanding what midi events are present in the midi clips as they get copied and pasted.

Kontakt, Dim Pro, and any other synth I use, only 'sees' existing midi data when it gets sent during Playback.  If Sonar's transport is 'stopped', any data in a midi clip is just sitting there.

So, I don't get it.  :)

A confused Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: Copying midi clip causes midi track's audio and VST assignment to copy as well - why? 2014/04/21 09:55:45 (permalink)
    MIDI output assignment is per-track, not per-clip, so I don't see how it could work the way you are describing.

What method are you using to copy a clip?

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: Copying midi clip causes midi track's audio and VST assignment to copy as well - why? 2014/04/21 10:13:43 (permalink)
    Kev999

What method are you using to copy a clip?

I was going to ask this also.

I, like the others, haven't been able to reproduce this. When I drag a midi clip from one track to another, only the midi clip info comes along. Not track routing assignments.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: Copying midi clip causes midi track's audio and VST assignment to copy as well - why? 2014/04/21 10:29:48 (permalink)
    Do you have the output channels of the MIDI tracks set to corresponding channels of the VST or are you depending on the recorded channel data of the events in the track to keep everything separate? If only the events are channelized, moving them to another track will not change which channel of the synth is responding to them. You need to assign a forced [C]hannel value in each MIDI track. If you don't have the Channel widget showing in the track header, you can do it in the Track Inspector.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    shrike
    Re: Copying midi clip causes midi track's audio and VST assignment to copy as well - why? 2014/04/21 14:27:02 (permalink)
    OK, I'll try explaining again and just bear in mind that IndePro is multitimbral sampler, meaning it supports more then one layer (instrument) to be played in the same instance of program, while those  instruments can be assigned to separate midi channels and routed to separate stereo outputs (8 in total). I have Roland A800 Pro, it that's of any significance. So for example:
    I have midi track 1 and audio track 1 in Sonar; I have layer 1 in IndePro on midi channel 1; Strings Sus are loaded in Layer 1; midi IN on  midi track 1 is set to A-PRO MIDI Ch. 1, midi OUT is set to Independence 1 (where 1 means there is only one instance of Independence active, I can have several of them, but that would burden CPU and isn't necessary, since Inde is multitimbral); audio IN on audio track 1 is set to Inde Stereo 1 and audio OUT to Master. And then I record something there, no problem, everything plays as expected.
    Then I add midi track 2 and audio track 2, another layer - layer 2 in IndePro, load Strings Pizz in Layer 2 on midi channel 2; midi IN on this track is set to A-PRO MIDI Ch. 2, midi OUT to Independence 1 (as explained before why Inde 1), audio IN on audio track 2 is set to Inde Stereo 2 and audio OUT to Master. If I record or play something in midi track 2, no problem as well, everything works just as expected. BUT! If I copy midi clip recorded with Strings Sus in midi track 1 (and by "copy" I mean Edit-Copy-Paste, or Drag-Copy, or Smart-tool-Move-Ctrl-Drag, all methods yield the same result)  to midi track 2, expecting it to play Strings Pizz, it doesn't do that - it keeps playing Strings Sus and meter in audio track 1 is live with activity. While, normaly, it should play Strings Pizz and meter in audio track 2 should be live.

I've tried recording in midi track where Cakewalk Sound Center was used and copying the recorded clip to another midi track where SI- String Section was used - everything works just fine, in first track Cakewalk Sound Center is playing, in another track SI-String Section is playing copied clip. No problems.

So. I do understand there is probably no one among all of you using Independence Pro (former YellowTools, now Magix), but I can't afford Kontakt and Independence Pro is actually excellent sampler and library. I just don't understand why this is happening and it's slowing my workflow tremendeously.

Once again, thanks guys for your support, this is a great place to be.

shrike
    Re: Copying midi clip causes midi track's audio and VST assignment to copy as well - why? 2014/04/21 14:50:03 (permalink)
    I've just found out one more thing, if it will provide more insight to someone:
    midi clip which I've recorded with IndePro and saved into Projects folder (using drag-drop technique, just drag out of lane and drop into folder) contains information about which midi channel it was recorded on, at least when working with Inde Pro.
    I've tried opening a new project and loading one midi clip from previous project, setting all things as explained above. This clip didn't produce any sound until I've changed layer's midi channel setting in IndePro to midi channel 2 (this was channel I was recording this clip in the original project). Then it played itself, no matter input channel in this track now is midi channel 1. Weird.
    Routing this same clip in same midi track to SI-Session Strings plays normaly.

Uh.
    brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: Copying midi clip causes midi track's audio and VST assignment to copy as well - why? 2014/04/21 15:52:20 (permalink)
    shrike
    ...midi IN on this track is set to A-PRO MIDI Ch. 2, midi OUT to Independence 1

This is what I'm getting at. You're recording events as channel 1 on track 1, and channel 2 on track 2, but you don't have a forced output channel set. So if you move the MIDI events from track 1 to track 2, they are still going to drive the instrument on channel 1 in the multitimbral synth.

You need to set forced output channels on the MIDI tracks corresponding to the channels of the synth. In the Inspector, [C]hannel is the first parameter under the MIDI FX bin. That, or you need to select the copied events and change their channel using the Event Inspector or Process > Find/Change

Most users no longer record events using different embedded channels; they just record everything as channel 1 and rely on forced MIDI channels to control routing.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    Kev999
    Max Output Level: -36 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3922
    Re: Copying midi clip causes midi track's audio and VST assignment to copy as well - why? 2014/04/21 19:52:50 (permalink)
    shrike
    ...midi clip which I've recorded with IndePro and saved into Projects folder (using drag-drop technique, just drag out of lane and drop into folder) contains information about which midi channel it was recorded on...

Does that mean that your problem clip was not created within Sonar?  When using imported MIDI, it's usually wise to start by opening Event List View and deleting all the unwanted items at the beginning of the clip.

SonarPlatinum(22.11.0.111)|Mixbus32C(4.3.19)|DigitalPerformer(9.5.1)|Reaper(5.77)
    FractalDesign:DefineR5|i7-6850k@4.1GHz|16GB@2666MHz-DDR4|MSI:GamingProCarbonX99a|Matrox:M9148(x2)|UAD2solo(6.5.2)|W7Ult-x64-SP1
    Audient:iD22+ASP800|KRK:VXT6|+various-outboard-gear|+guitars&basses, etc.
    Having fun at work lately
    shrike
    Re: Copying midi clip causes midi track's audio and VST assignment to copy as well - why? 2014/04/23 03:58:14 (permalink)
    Brundlefly, thank You very much for this suggestion. Unfortunately, I didn't have time to check out Your solution, but I'll do it today, hopefully.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1