Sonar X3: First impressions (and concerns)

Author
DaveG74
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 220
2014/04/21 21:07:33 (permalink)

Sonar X3: First impressions (and concerns)

In June 2013, I purchased Music Creator 6, I later upgraded to Touch. Yesterday, I upgraded to Sonar X3 for $29. The reasons being: 8-synth instrument limit and more synth offerings in Sonar (among other perks).

Now, I have ambitiously studied MC6T over the past year and learned much from the experience, mostly from several users on this Forum. To simplify the creation of new tracks, I found it necessary to create a project template for myself, as follows:

A very nice, clean view of the main tools I use. However, upon creating a new project in Sonar, this is what I was presented with:

Whoa. I felt that overwhelming sense of beginner status all over again. The top menu had been drastically redesigned (but I have removed some of the modules not present in this screenshot). Truthfully, per the MC6T screenshot, I don't want all the extra clutter seen here. It took me a good twenty minutes to declutter and streamline to my liking until I further my skills...which are still very new in this family of software.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how to create my own Screenset and keep it there. Is there any way to create a new project that loads into a custom ScreenSet so I don't have to endure a screen clean-up process every time? (Otherwise, I continue to use my custom Template file for new projects.)
*** ANSWERED BY BRUNDLEFLY AND SCOOK ***

ANOTHER COMPLICATION: PLAYBACK ISSUES

The excitement of purchasing the upgrade was there, but I began to think, "Oh, goodness...what have I done?" At this point, I was so glad I hadn't upgraded to the Studio edition as initially planned.

Noticed severe playback issues with dropped notes. I had this issue with MC6 also, but with Sonar X3, it took me a whole hour to resolve -- adjusting different playback Preferences and finally restarting the application. I finally heard stable playback when I set the Audio-Driver Settings Mixing Latency to "the sweet spot" of Fast (30msec), just as I did in MC6T. Whew...that issue was out of the way.

Then it reported that Studioverb is missing. What/Where are my Sonar X3 Reverb plugins?
*** ANSWERED BY SHELLSTAX ***

SONAR X3 ADVANTAGES

After spending two hours between Sonar X3 download/installation, declutter, troubleshooting and experimentation, the stress began to settle, allowing me to enjoy the benefits of the upgrade.

No 8-synth instrument limit.

I like the fact that I can color Tracks. This will assist in distinguishing different synths in Track view.

Session Drummer was a welcome addition, offering more drum kits that SI Drum Kits probably cannot produce.

DropZone: Although this synth's program selection hierarchy is a convoluted tree of WAV, SFZ, and PROG's (some with no available audition keys), I am grateful for what it has to offer. I like Roland GrooveSynth, although it appears to be a long-lost brother to General MIDI. Between SoundCenter, TTS and the new VST's, I have more instruments than I know what to do with!

CONCLUSION

These are my thoughts on the upgrade from Music Creator 6 Touch to Sonar X3. If anyone has anything to offer that could make the transition easier, please provide those tips and pointers for me. I would greatly appreciate it. I've been a Cakewalk user for ten months. I wish to eventually evolve from learning the software...to actually finishing a song.

Thanks for reading! :)

post edited by Grundberg - 2014/04/22 20:58:06

7 Replies Related Threads

brundlefly
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14250
    Re: Sonar X3: First impressions (and concerns) 2014/04/21 21:18:04 (permalink)
    You can save your preferred project layout as a template (choose Template in the Save as type drop-down in the Save As dialog) that you can choose when doing File > New. If you save it with the name "Normal", it will become the default template that you get when you hit Ctrl+N to start a new project.

SONAR Platinum x64, 2x MOTU 2408/PCIe-424  (24-bit, 48kHz)
    Win10, I7-6700K @ 4.0GHz, 24GB DDR4, 2TB HDD, 32GB SSD Cache, GeForce GTX 750Ti, 2x 24" 16:10 IPS Monitors
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Sonar X3: First impressions (and concerns) 2014/04/21 21:19:42 (permalink)
    Once you get the hang of it all, I think you will find the work flow improvements to be pretty helpful.
    I think X3e is one of the best releases - as stable or maybe more stable then 8.5.3, with in my opinion better work flow for more users.

I am VERY happy with X3.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Sonar X3: First impressions (and concerns) 2014/04/21 21:39:12 (permalink)
    +1 to creating a custom Normal.cwt. It is one of the first things I do with a new version of SONAR. Rename the original Normal.cwt and change the layout to something simpler.

Dropzone is one of the sfz engine synths. All of them have a similar structure, samples (wav or flac), built into collections using sfz files (a tagged text file) and collections of sfz files with synth specific instructions make up a program. With slight permutations this is the layout of the SI plug-ins, Session Drummer, Dimension Pro and Rapture and Cakewalk Sound Center.

Take some time to watch the videos on CakeTV and get a copy of "SONAR X3 Power!".  There are also some great deals on X3 videos at the Cakewalk store.
    ShellstaX
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 502
    Re: Sonar X3: First impressions (and concerns) 2014/04/21 21:42:55 (permalink)
    Regarding Reverb ... Sonitus:fx Reverb. It's an Audio FX (DX) effect (and was there in MC6T).
    Browser>PlugIns>Audio FX>DirectX>Sonitus:fx>Reverb

Regarding Studioverb ... that's 3rd Party. Ensure the Plugin is on your VST search path (hopefully your Plugins are in a common location) (Note: Some 32bit Plugins may not work in 64bit mode but in most cases Bitbridge will handle the conversion and they'll work).
    Preferences>File>VST Settings>VST Scan Paths ...

[Update: Oh, seeing some other threads it appears Studioverb may have been included in earlier releases of Sonar (?) as a 32bit DX (DirectX). I understand 32bit DX won't work in 64bit mode. DX will sit under ...Cakewalk\Shared DXi\... (32bit) and ...Cakewalk\x64\Shared DXi\... (64bit)].

post edited by ShellstaX - 2014/04/21 22:41:02
    DaveG74
    Re: Sonar X3: First impressions (and concerns) 2014/04/21 21:54:09 (permalink)
    Brundlefly, Scook, ShellstaX --
    Thanks for the quick responses! I'm glad there's a way to inject those template files somewhere, I was hoping there was a use for that.

I will experiment more with the plugins and FX. I am familiar with the CakeTV videos, but watched more of the MC6 series than the Sonar X2/X3 series. Will give those a look.
    icontakt
    Max Output Level: -32.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4266
    Re: Sonar X3: First impressions (and concerns) 2014/04/22 01:16:19 (permalink)
    Hit F11 for full screen mode (only if it wasn't available in MC6 or you didn't know).

Tak T.

Primary Laptop: Core i7-4710MQ CPU, 16GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Home Premium OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Secondary Laptop: Core2 Duo CPU, 8GB RAM, 7200RPM HDD, Windows 7 Professional OS (Japanese) x64 SP1
    Audio Interface: iD14 (ASIO)
    Keyboard Controller/MIDI Interface: A-800PRO
    DAW: SONAR Platinum x64 (latest update installed)
    DaveG74
    Re: Sonar X3: First impressions (and concerns) 2014/04/22 16:32:26 (permalink)
    (How I wish I could've stayed home from work today to play with Sonar X3. )

I must have been up until midnight exploring the software, and I feel like I got so much accomplished! This, for starters:

My official Sonar X3 "Normal" template, saved and assigned. A much cleaner look -- just how I like it. I rearranged the menu modules and deleted the unwanted ones. I colored the different synth track to my liking and made absolutely sure that the screen real estate was utilized according to my needs for each new project. Thanks Brundlefly and Scook for help on this!

I removed the Studioverb plug-in from that one song and abandoned it in favor of Sonitus Reverb. Buying more plug-ins is probably not an option for me, as it seems like Sonar has all I need.

Played with Session Drummer a bit and, of course, was amazed at the realism and variety of possibilities. Also played with TH2 -- very intriguing but it lost me. (I think I'm supposed to own a guitar. LOL)

And SO many instruments! Between TTS-1, SoundCenter, Roland GrooveSynth, DropZone and the four Studio Instruments, the possibilities are infinite. I'm considering writing a quick-reference of "Common Instruments and Where to Find Them" for the most prominent ones across all synths (Distortion Guitar, Pizzicato Strings, Clean Guitar, Muted Guitar, Xylophone, Electric Piano, Fingered Bass, etc.), mainly for the purpose of comparison when I need the right one. Still, a SoundCenter instrument bundle may be in my future.

I deleted that Melodyne demo, as I don't think I'll ever use it. It gave Sonar a bigger footprint than I cared for so I just uninstalled it.

Also need to decide where I want to store my Cakewalk Projects folder. (I seem to have two other ones, one assigned to MC6T still.)

Interface clean-up: satisfying. Playback/latency issue: resolved. Buyer's remorse: down. Comfort level: getting there. Confidence and excitement: way up. So far, so good. Thanks, guys! Will check back later.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1