Bitwig Linux?

Author
donholmes@comcast.ne
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 80
2014/04/21 23:07:07 (permalink)

Bitwig Linux?

I recently moved over to Linux. As a long-time Sonar user, I would be interested in what other users think of the Bitwig DAW that runs on Linux? Unlike other Linux softare, this is not free, it's a commercial ($400) program.

18 Replies Related Threads

Beepster
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 18001
    Re: Bitwig Linux? 2014/04/22 11:32:12 (permalink)
    I watched a bunch of the promo material out of curiosity after they first released it and it certainly has a lot of interesting components but it does seem to lean very heavily toward the production of electronic music. My impression of Linux based DAWs, as is the case with a lot of programs in the Linux/Unix world that emulate traditionally Win/Mac based apps, is that these projects are done more as an adventure in coding and simply to prove it can be done. That said... those Linux dudes REALLY know their stuff and put out some impressive tools. Bitwig looks like it has some serious potential but I'm going to assume it will take a while for them to shake out the bugs and deal with compatibility issues. Also, as more of a flesh and bone artist, I was kind of hoping there would be more focus on actual audio capture and mixing type stuff. It seems to be more geared toward the Ableton or FL crowd based on the promo material. Nothing wrong with that but I think X3 is more my speed right now.

Cheers.
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Bitwig Linux? 2014/04/22 11:52:43 (permalink)
    donholmes@comcast.ne
    I recently moved over to Linux. As a long-time Sonar user, I would be interested in what other users think of the Bitwig DAW that runs on Linux? Unlike other Linux softare, this is not free, it's a commercial ($400) program.

Unless you're extremely well versed in the technical aspects of an OS, I'd forgo trying to using Linux as a DAW platform.  Even if you're tech savvy, it's literally *years* behind Windows/Mac.
    Windows is a rock-solid... well established DAW platform.
    There's no need to create more angst in life.   

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    John
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 30467
    Re: Bitwig Linux? 2014/04/22 12:02:36 (permalink)
    Plus you would be very limited as to what hardware you can use and plugins. The key to any DAW is its drivers. Few developers provide drivers for Linux. Then the problem is which linux?

Best
    John
    Beepster
    Re: Bitwig Linux? 2014/04/22 12:13:13 (permalink)
    hmm... well, not to refute the wise words of Jim and John and indeed if you do not have the skill or will to wrangle with OS nuances Linux may not be a wise move BUT I've been dabbling with some Linux stuff lately and I've found it all rather easy to navigate. No harder than learning a new Windows release, really.

The driver thing though will likely be a problem for a while unless you have hardware that has taken Linux into consideration. VST options will be severely limited too but knowing those Linux script kiddies I'm sure a plethora will be forthcoming now that BW is out.

Still not my thing though so I'll stick with X3.
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Bitwig Linux? 2014/04/22 12:29:11 (permalink)
    Beepster
    hmm... well, not to refute the wise words of Jim and John and indeed if you do not have the skill or will to wrangle with OS nuances Linux may not be a wise move BUT I've been dabbling with some Linux stuff lately and I've found it all rather easy to navigate. No harder than learning a new Windows release, really.

With a pre-packaged version of Linux... using only pre-integrated applications/components, I could see that as relatively simple.
    When you have to kludge together various components to solve a particular issue (very common), it's way beyond the casual Windows/Mac user.
    The problem with an open source OS is just that... there's so many variables.
    There's a reason why Linux server admins get paid well.    

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Splat
    • Total Posts : 8672
    Re: Bitwig Linux? 2014/04/22 12:32:53 (permalink)
    I've done a Linux session myself. So much effort never again. I hope to try again in 5 years time, I love the Linux platform but it is very much love/hate.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
    @48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
    mmorgan
    Max Output Level: -77 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 676
    Re: Bitwig Linux? 2014/04/22 13:20:13 (permalink)
    I did some development with Linux back in the late 90s, not a pleasant experience. But I think John has nailed it with the view towards drivers. I'm sure there are some out there but why would you want to go down that path?

At this point, it seems, Linux is starting to suffer from the same problems that plagued the various flavors of Unix, your code might compile on your version of Unix but it wouldn't run on any other vendors...I seem to recall Unix flavors by IBM, SUN, HP, DEC and all the other large players in enterprise development work.

It is kind of interesting that there is a new DAW on the market though, nice to see some more competition, particularly if it leads to more innovation across the playing field.

Regards,

Mike

Win8(64), Sonar X3e(64) w/ RME Fireface UFX.
    Beepster
    Re: Bitwig Linux? 2014/04/22 13:22:07 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry

With a pre-packaged version of Linux... using only pre-integrated applications/components, I could see that as relatively simple.
    When you have to kludge together various components to solve a particular issue (very common), it's way beyond the casual Windows/Mac user.
    The problem with an open source OS is just that... there's so many variables.
    There's a reason why Linux server admins get paid well.    

Definitely and it is certainly a chore trying to figure out (and even find) the right distro for your needs but I'm assuming that Bitwig has a recommended distro list for users to snag. Might even have one specially designed for it. I should look into that... just out of curiosity though. I just spent the past couple years trying to make all this audio gack work on Windows so that level of nerdery can wait for a while. Certainly not spending $400 on it either.

I think we need Mr. gswitz in this thread. He uses Linux and some of the DAW releases.
    Mystic38
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1622
    Re: Bitwig Linux? 2014/04/22 13:50:15 (permalink)
    Went through putting Ubuntu onto a desktop and a laptop during the winter, with poor (PC) and terrible (laptop) results..despite about 100hrs over a month trying to resolve multiple issues. A complete and utter waste of time.

$99 for a windows license for about 5 years viable use is peanuts.

HPE-580T with i7-950, 8G, 1.5T, ATI6850, Win7/64, Motu 828 III Hybrid, Motu Midi Express, Sonar Platinum, Komplete 9, Ableton Live 9 & Push 2, Melodyne Editor and other stuff, KRK VXT8 Monitors
    Virus Ti2 Polar, Fantom G6, Yamaha S70XS, Novation Nova, Novation Nova II, Korg MS2000, Waldorf Micro Q, NI Maschine Studio, TC-VoiceLive Rack, 2012 Gibson Les Paul Standard, 2001 Gibson Les Paul DC, 1999 Fender Am Hardtail Strat, Fender Blues Jr, Orange TH30/PPC212, Tak EF360GF, one mic, no talent.
    John
    Forum Host
    Re: Bitwig Linux? 2014/04/22 14:10:04 (permalink)
    Mystic38
    Went through putting Ubuntu onto a desktop and a laptop during the winter, with poor (PC) and terrible (laptop) results..despite about 100hrs over a month trying to resolve multiple issues. A complete and utter waste of time.

$99 for a windows license for about 5 years viable use is peanuts.

Heck I paid 40 bucks for my Windows 8. For that I got Windows 8 32 and 64 bit on DVDs. Now its at 8.1.1 without cost or painful issues. Plus all my hardware is supported. I flirted with Ubuntu and another distro that were cool but did nothing except word processing. But wouldn't print. 

I agree with Jim that one needs to be a programmer to get the most out of Linux.  

Best
    John
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Bitwig Linux? 2014/04/22 14:12:47 (permalink)
    The issue is not the operating system it is the customer base to pay for application development. After all Apple OS is a Unix/Linux variant, and it is clearly possible to write first class audio applications to run in that environment. Currently there are a lot of mature products that run under Windows. I expect that in time there may be for Linux as well. It should not be that difficult for the Apple developers to port to a version of Linux that does not require buying an overpriced computer.
    John
    Forum Host
    Re: Bitwig Linux? 2014/04/22 14:30:44 (permalink)
    slartabartfast
    The issue is not the operating system it is the customer base to pay for application development. After all Apple OS is a Unix/Linux variant, and it is clearly possible to write first class audio applications to run in that environment. Currently there are a lot of mature products that run under Windows. I expect that in time there may be for Linux as well. It should not be that difficult for the Apple developers to port to a version of Linux that does not require buying an overpriced computer.

I don't know that its the same situation. Apple uses the Unix model but theirs is their own version. Windows started out as an add on to DOS which came from CP/M. Its very hard to invent a new OS not because it can't be done but because it has to have certain characteristics that all OSs share. When those are already there in current OSs it makes little sense to invent the wheel over again. 

Unix and Linux have been around a long time and have not made much inroads into the graphics or audio/video area of computing. Not to mention games. Because of low demand there is slow development for either and a lot of the working hard core area is in one off custom programing for big business. Banks, auto companies, medical uses and so on is where a lot of Unix and Linux is being used. 

The small studio is not being supported by either. Where Apple and MS are very much in the small studio. This can happen because of the scale they both enjoy.

We are not going to see a major adoption of Linux for DAW use anytime soon or near future.

Linux is almost prohibited from this sort development due to its open source nature. Unix is too darn expensive. That leaves Apple and MS.   

Best
    John
    simpleman
    Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 262
    Re: Bitwig Linux? 2014/04/22 14:44:21 (permalink)
    According to the website, Bitwig Studio runs on all platforms--Windows, Apple and Linux.
    As I see it, it appears to be using the same coding (language/techniques) as Reaper.
    If so, this will make it very efficient as it runs but raw and un-settled for many areas for someone who requires production and certainty as a business venture.
    It has some very nice things which can be done, especially for the nerdy quick-witted.
    Also appealing for me is this one factor; 
    Each note in the midi editor as a fully controllable block. As one can take a particular note in a chord and vary its volume/pan as such; Super Expression. Not saying I cannot do the same in Sonar which requires more steps to work it out. 
    Fog
    • Total Posts : 12302
    Re: Bitwig Linux? 2014/04/22 18:19:11 (permalink)
    I couldn't be bothered looking into bitwig for 2 reasons..
    1 no rewire
    2 it's more mature enough yet for me to want to fork out that much. they should have been worried more about grabbing future customers at this point, even if it cost them profits short term.. just my 2 cents.

gswitz
    Max Output Level: -18.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5694
    Re: Bitwig Linux? 2014/04/22 18:27:41 (permalink)
    I use this...
    http://ubuntustudio.org/

I use it with a Class Compliant USB interface and it works fine.

I mostly use it for practicing when I'm traveling. I install Ubuntu Studio on a removable hard drive that I keep in my work laptop bag. I boot to it at lunch. I used it to watch Craig Anderton's webcast at a local Silver Diner. It's nice to be able to boot your work laptop to your own OS.

I have my USB hard drive partitioned with a FAT partition for data and a EXT4 partition for Ubuntu Studio. That way I can format the Linux partition and re-install without worrying about stuff I want to keep. I used the gparted app to do the partitioning.

I don't know why people get so fussy about the Linux thing. Couldn't be easier. You install an OS Pre-Tuned for recording music. It comes with tons of free software and plugins.

I use Ardour to record.

StudioCat > I use Windows 10 and Sonar Platinum. I have a touch screen.
    I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    gswitz
    Re: Bitwig Linux? 2014/04/22 20:43:11 (permalink)
    So I just used Ubuntu for the last 2 hours or so.

I monitored my sound through the RME so there was 0 latency. It is hard that there isn't a TotalMix controller for the RME within Linux. I have to have it kinda pre-set for what I'm going to do... or use a separate pre so I don't have to use the on-board pres. What do I mean? I can't turn phantom power on and off from the front of the interface. If I have it on when I start, I'm good to go, but if I need to turn it on or off, I'm kinda hosed without plugging the interface into a Windows/Mac computer.

The reported latency at 256 sample buffer in Sonar is 13 ms and in Linux Ubuntu Ardour it's 23 ms.

I used a number of FX. It's kinda cool. They report the latency in samples per effect. I put an EQ and Amp Sim on. All worked fine and sounded pretty good. I added a ring modulator and after tweaking some params I got a bad clicking sound. I bypassed and the clicking went away. Might be a feature. :-)

To tell the truth, I really love using Ardour for practicing. It makes me very portable and using Linux Ubuntu Studio means I don't ever have to buy a laptop as long as I have job. I can go to a friend's house and make a recording bringing just the hard drive and my interface. I don't have to bring a computer! I can use my friend's PC!

Smiles. I just think it's awesome. I give away Linux hard drives for presents to my friends. :-) I'd give one to you if I could.

I make some videos. This one shows how to do a physical loopback on the RME UCX to get many more equalizer nodes.
    gswitz
    Re: Bitwig Linux? 2014/04/22 21:03:03 (permalink)
    I should mention I was using Ubuntu Studio 14.04 tonight. I upgraded last night.

Over the weekend, I was visiting my in-laws and using Linux. On Sunday, I let it try to upgrade from v13 to v14. At one point I got a 'it's time to restart' window. I could see another progress bar, but I figured it might wait to continue until the re-boot. No such luck. ha ha. I restarted and killed the install.

But the beautiful thing was that it was so easy to recover. I just downloaded the latest version, formatted the partition and installed. I will say I do some breath holding as I format partitions using my work laptop. It hasn't gone wrong yet, but I'm always very careful not to format my work PC. :-)

I've been through 4 or 5 versions of Ubuntu Studio. I've been using Linux longer than that. I will say it's gotten easier. At first it helped to understand a thing called Jack which is like an internal Audio Router so you can route audio between applications inside Linux. Now, you really don't need to understand Jack. You just install. Start it. Open Ardour with your Class Compliant Interface plugged in and add tracks. you immediately see the meters bouncing. Arm for record, click record then play and you're off the to the races.

You don't have to install the DAW software separately from the OS. It's all one well integrated thing. Oh, and it does Video and Pictures too. You can watch Netflix. Movies on the DVD drive. Install any software you want. Surf the web. All the usual stuff. 

gswitz
    Re: Bitwig Linux? 2014/04/22 21:11:02 (permalink)
    And in this thread people have asserted you have to be a computer guy to do this. I admit I use computers for a living. I've been scripting one thing or another since age 10.

I encourage you to try it. Be the first guy on your block!

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1