metronome

Author
Stanley61
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6
2014/04/24 15:06:10 (permalink)

metronome

Hi all,
Im new to sonar le which came with my roland quad capture. i've got it up and running but my initial attempt at recording guitar always records the metronome. i've tried pressing various buttons but cant crack it. any suggestions ?

13 Replies Related Threads

Cactus Music
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: metronome 2014/04/24 16:27:04 (permalink)

The only way the metronome would find its way back to the guitar track is via the software mixer. 
    Or if you are set for "what you hear" and are actually still using your on board sound card. 

Pushing buttons is not how one will learn how Sonar works. You really need to take the time to read the help files. There are plenty of Videos and a  book by Scott Garrigus.  The info on the full versions applies to LE other than missing features, they all work the same. 

In case you have not bothered to read the tutorials on how to set up for recording audio, I'll explain briefly. 
    Most importantly: 
    Make sure you have installed the most up to date ASIO drivers from the Roland web site. I am pretty sure it also includes a software mixer GUI interface. Make sure you follow directions for implementing this first. 
    Check in Preferences Audio to make sure only the Roland is your audio device. Obliterate all traces of your on board sound card from within 20' of Sonar. Forget it even exists. 

The following is assuming your using a mike into input one (1) of your interface. 
    Play hard and set the levels just below peaking. 
    You should hear the guitar in your headphones via the Quad captures headphone jack. 
    Insert an audio track in Sonar and keep it in focus. (selected)
    Press I to open the track inspector.
    Open the "input" dialog and choose the quad capture / Left channel Mike 1 input ( the wording will be different but it should be the top of the list) 
    Arm the track (= REC) and play your guitar, the tracks meter should move. 
    If it doesn't the issue is in your software mixer routing.  
    If you wish to hear the metronome during recording then set that using the metronome dialog found to the right of the main display ( tempo/ time etc) 
    But now your on your own and you will need to read the manual for your quad captures software mixer routing to set up for the proper headphone mix. It probably has a default setting that says something like- zero latency tracking. 

So the only way you could be recording the metronome is your routing your master outputs ( 1/2?) back to the armed track. This is either via the software mixer or your on board card. 
    post edited by Cactus Music - 2014/04/24 16:51:14

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

Stanley61
    Re: metronome 2014/04/25 03:47:27 (permalink)
    thanks for your helpful reply. I'm in work now so I cant act until I get home tonight. Since I posted I did have a road to damascus moment when I realised part or maybe all of the problem is being caused by my built in mic on the laptop. I realised I could hear the tv in the next room coming through. So tonight I need to suss out how to mute the mic and then follow the steps you have outlined and see how we go. I will post over the weekend and let you know.
    thanks again for takin the trouble to reply. Much appreciated !!!

57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: metronome 2014/04/25 09:30:27 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum.
    If you don't have a Roland audio interface, you won't need to download the latest ASIO drivers from them.
    If you're using the stock computer sound card, which we think you are, you'll need to check in the sound card recording options that "What You Hear" or "Stereo Mix" is not seletced. It could be called something else, too, depending on the make of the sound card.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Stanley61
    Re: metronome 2014/04/25 10:04:15 (permalink)
    thanks Greg, I am  looking forward to experimenting tonight. I have trawled around the internet and found others with a similar problem ie they cant disable the built in mi on a dell laptop. One guy on you tube actually advised ripping it out. I don't think I will be doing that. Another solution was plugging a dummy jack into the socket to make it think an external mic  is being used then disabling the onboard one. A further suggestion was to try and disable it in the BIOS, thats a last resort for me. All I wanted was to plug in and play, I actually asked in the shop if there would be any PC issues with my spec pc and was assure it is all very easy. Things never are. Looks like i'm in for an interesting hopefully not frustrating weekend.
    Thanks again I will let you know how it works out.
    Cactus Music
    Re: metronome 2014/04/25 10:20:52 (permalink)
    You on board sound will not be a factor once you tell Sonar to use the Quad capture. Your problem is you hooked up the quad capture but failed to tell sonar to use it. Sonar will ignore your on board sound 90% of the time. Some people have to disable the on board drivers to avoid them taking over every time you turn your system on. Some times there is no issue at all. 

Just make sure you install the drivers for the quad capture, disable the on board in device manager, and then go int sonar and make sure all is good. That all that should be required. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: metronome 2014/04/28 02:47:21 (permalink)
    Just a bump to remove the spam topic title from the home page.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Stanley61
    Re: metronome 2014/04/28 07:51:33 (permalink)
    Ok I had a play around over the weekend. Ive sorted out the internal mic issue by altering a setting within sonar to recognise the quad capture first as suggested by cactus, thank you. I tried loading in the softsynth SI drums. I auditioned the kits all fine but when I dragged a pattern into a song it didn't playback properly so i'm on that tonight.
    This takes me right back 15 years or more when I was trying to learn how to use cubase on Atari without a manual.
    Ive been out of this for too long but enjoying being back.
    All advice is greatly appreciated. thanks again.
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: metronome 2014/04/28 13:08:43 (permalink)
    Another bump - same reason.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Cactus Music
    Re: metronome 2014/04/28 13:39:16 (permalink)
    Once you insert a soft synth you assign the midi tracks output to that synth. You can change this later.

You do need midi data in a track and you can do this by drag and drop , importing or play your keyboard controller in real time and record it.
    I make my own drum tracks by starting the song with my singing and guitar to the metronome.
    Then I record the drums using either the keyboard or my digital drum kit or both.
    With the keyboard it takes a few passes.

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

Stanley61
    Re: metronome 2014/04/29 04:42:57 (permalink)
    Once again excellent advice. Ive sorted out the ASIO stuff and all now appears to be working properly. Loaded some drum patterns in and it all played back as it should. All I need to do now is remember how to record in time, its been that long. Next up is connecting my old Roland JV30 via midi to access the soft synths. Going to have to buy a midi lead or 2 as my old setup used midi connections to what looked like a printer connection on the back of my old M audio soundcard.
    Dont think ive purchased a midi lead for nearly 15 years 
    Cactus Music
    Re: metronome 2014/04/29 11:17:44 (permalink)
    Hey glad you got it all working, this is normal and I would think everyone goes through a few weeks of frustration before you can get this junk to run smoothly. It's been 10 years for me and I still fight with it from time to time.

Ha ha, Midi cables used to be on the shelf at Radio Shack. And they used to come with a new synth or piano. Now you probably have to order one from Amazon. You'll only need one, unless you plan on playing the sounds in your JV30, But if that's the same synth I think it is, the TTS-1 will blow it away. Oh, that's right, until you upgrade you don't get very good soft synths with LE.
    I installed my version on my office computer and I couldn't play any of my songs because of all the missing stuff compared to 8.5 and X3. Go to the KVR web site and looks for a few freebies. 

LE is a good start into the world of Sonar but you will outgrow it pretty fast. The layout, recording and editing is pretty much the same as the upscale versions, but it really comes with zilch in the way of VST instruments and efxs. 
    Make sure you register with Cakewalk and ask to be on the mailing list. They sent me an offer to upgrade to x3 Studio for only $98. Huge difference, it comes with more stuff than I'll ever use. . 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

Stanley61
    Re: metronome 2014/04/30 04:08:29 (permalink)
    didnt manage to get on it last night but hopefully will have an hour tonight just playing around. I have registered with cakewalk so will check out any offers for upgrades when ive got into it a bit more. I hear there are freebies around on the web so will look out for them. I'm looking forward to accessing the softsynths. I also have an old jv1010 module so I must revisit that when its all up and running. I'm just really buzzing about being able to do a spot of recording again. It's purely for my own entertainment i'm not looking to do anything these days. I had a stab at that in the 90s so my time has gone. I just love being able to create a few guitar parts and see how they sound. Thanks to you guys on here I can get on with some playing again.
    Cactus Music
    Re: metronome 2014/04/30 10:07:37 (permalink)
    Right now if you go to the Cakewalk store there is $29 upgrade to X3 ( plain version) 
    That's a real deal for LE owners.  Do it!  
    Then you can upgrade to full version for $149, so that $180 instead of $ 300 or something.
    You can also get the Studio upgrade for $99 right now and I'd go with that. You might not need the extra plug ins that the $80  dollars bring. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1