Rapture envelope oddness

Author
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
2014/06/23 17:31:59 (permalink)

Rapture envelope oddness

I'm currently working my way through Simon Cann's Cakewalk Synthesizers book and have encountered something odd.  In Frank Genus's SlapBack EP patch for Rapture, the amp envelopes for all three elements end with this last node :

If I hit 'N' to switch to a 'non-natural' curve, without adjusting the curve itself, things become :

I can drag the curve so it resembles the natural (blue) one but that's not the issue here. I can also drag the blue natural curve up and make it worse, the level still shows as 0 up above :

I built this patch following Frank's instructions in the book and ended up with a similar patch, but when compared to Frank's final version I noticed that his could easily reach 20+ layers when doing some arps on my keyboard, whereas mine was hard pressed to go over 12.

After hours of comparing every detail of the two patches, I've come to the conclusion that the reason is the above mentioned oddity.  Without the dangling curve (by dragging it down or hitting N) Frank's layers drop by half.

So is this just a bug ?  The node has an indicated level of zero even though the curve does not go to zero.  My real interest in this is why the layers are more or less doubled, when the envelope time is not extended, at least not apparently.

post edited by Paul P - 2014/06/23 17:36:42

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack

4 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    Re: Rapture envelope oddness 2014/06/23 18:04:14 (permalink)
    The node has an indicated level of zero even though the curve does not go to zero.  My real interest in this is why the layers are more or less doubled, when the envelope time is not extended, at least not apparently.

Key word: "apparently".  It's an exponential release segment.  This will help: DimensionalTips:  Naturally Released.  In fact, most of the DimensionalTips posts have information that I've seen nowhere else.

They can be found in the Project5 forum (and probably all in the technetos website).  The original Dimension synth and most of the P5 effects were the first products of the rgc:audio / Cakewalk collaboration.  Rene used to be all over that forum, and it's littered with gems & tidbits that carry on through the synths that followed.
    Paul P
    Re: Rapture envelope oddness 2014/06/23 18:13:53 (permalink)

Thanks, b rock.  I do have the Tips and actually reread them this very morning over coffee.

So I guess this is just a display issue ?  Is it possibly even intented, so as to show that things go on for a lot longer than shown, without taking up a lot of space in the image ?

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    Re: Rapture envelope oddness 2014/06/23 18:30:54 (permalink)
    I had a feeling that you had run through the DimensionalTips before.
    Is it possibly even intented, so as to show that things go on for a lot longer than shown, without taking up a lot of space in the image ?

My opinion ... yes.  Maybe intended as less confusing to end users.  It's always been a little strange to drag around the 'natural' segments.  Then again, not many people actually know about or use them.

I was looking for the source for this, but it makes sense that the exponential segments would use more resources.  I went through this 'phase' where I used them somewhere in every area & type of envelope.  Eventually, I found it easier to simulate them with the variable power segments.  I reserve them now for ... 'natural' instruments or emulations.
    Paul P
    Re: Rapture envelope oddness 2014/06/23 22:38:52 (permalink)
    Thanks Tom.  It all makes much more sense now.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1