DIY noise absorption panel questions... HELP?

Author
davdud101
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1058
2014/06/24 20:17:24 (permalink)

DIY noise absorption panel questions... HELP?

So my mother, who is a crafts(wo)man and quilter, just graciously donated a LARGE amount of (very oddly shaped, no two are alike) polyurethane foam and some fabric from among her things of stuff 'n' things. Basically I have a few questions on how I want to go about this 'DIY panels' build...

1) Is this even a suitable material? It does not have any special pattern, it's flat- of course, PUR has tiny holes, but will I need to do something to make it more textured? (My idea was to put pleated/wavy fabric overtop) Is it OKAY to wrap this stuff in pleated material? I know it'd help with sound diffusion.

2) If I were to do it in this way, how would I determine the best locations in my room for panels? I have something like a gobo that I throw a thick wool blanket over and it does really well, and I'm planning to build a second one soon and get them both permanently fabric'd. I was thinking of replacing the cotton batting inner lining with PUR foam as well. However I do not have monitors and besides test recordings, I have no way of determining the effectiveness of this material.

3) What's the best way to fashion pieces to cover corners? Obviously I'd like for this to be both very functional AND aesthetically appealing (because my mom wouldn't let me put this stuff up in HER room in HER house if it didn't look any good :S)

4) Any ideas on how I might construct simple, lightweight, wall-hangable and mobile frames for these guys? I was think making cardboard prisms so I could fill them with the oddly shaped pieces of foam, and glue them in then put some adhesive on the back and slap em up.
these questions range for most to least important

I know this was really wordy and a lot to take in, but I want this to be a one-and-done kind of thing, and since I have the materials and drive to get it done soon, I think I want to give it a shot. I think the two worst offenders in my room are the back corners and two parallel walls to either side of my workstation. 
Any thoughts?

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3

4 Replies Related Threads

batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: DIY noise absorption panel questions... HELP? 2014/06/25 13:02:35 (permalink)
    you'll want to use rockwool.
    roxul, corning 703, that kind of stuff.
    foam is ok for high end spot treatment

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

batsbrew
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re: DIY noise absorption panel questions... HELP? 2014/06/25 13:06:43 (permalink)

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

wst3
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1979
    Re: DIY noise absorption panel questions... HELP? 2014/06/25 13:50:50 (permalink)
    so forgive me for being repetitive and possibly pedantic... at least I'm getting better at being brief?

It turns out that it is really difficult to absorb noise, but I think, from your post you really want to just make your room a bit more reliable, in terms of critical listening.

With that assumption in mind...

There are three tools available to you - absorption, reflection, and diffusion. Of the three absorption is probably the most used, mostly because it provides the biggest improvement for the least money. So you are on the right track.

Foam can be a useful absorptive material, but it will tend to have a narrower effective bandwidth, and a lower amount of absorption within that bandwidth, when compared to spun glass, such as the OC 70x and others mentioned above. That does not mean it won't work, just that it works better in some settings than others, and only you will know for sure.

Treating a room can be either complex or simple... but to get the best results usually requires some serious effort, and at least some cash.

-- Bill
    Audio Enterprise
    KB3KJF
    davdud101
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1058
    Re: DIY noise absorption panel questions... HELP? 2014/06/25 14:45:09 (permalink)
    This information is definitely telling. The studio guy at my church (he actually handed the work off to me O.O) did JUST foam, and while it does a great job deadening most of the sound (it's no anechoic chamber) there's some weird splash back frequency effects from the floor and probably from this big table full of gear in the back of the room.

So bats, you said it's best for high-end spot treatment... what kind of material is Rockwool? just standard in-wall insulation kinda stuff? With that in mind, should I even try to use the foam? I have enough to probably make one 5x3 panel and then cover some corners. I have my gobo, which does literally half of the work, but since I have ALL of this foam I would rather put it to some good use inside the room instead of trashing it.

Bill, I actually meant to do more for the recording side of things (not presently being a monitor owner). I mentioned those spots in my room where I HEAR wave bounce around, and I was hoping this material would be able to suck up some/most of that absorption, and then I could leave the rest to one or two folding frames for recording sessions

Are you guys saying PUR isn't going to be thick/dense/something enough to be as effective as I need it to be?
    post edited by davdud101 - 2014/06/25 14:47:00

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
    Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
    Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
    DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1