z3ta+2 : Matrix destination "Osc n PW" kills Osc n

Author
Paul P
Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2685
2014/06/26 14:49:19 (permalink)

z3ta+2 : Matrix destination "Osc n PW" kills Osc n

I've just discovered that the Destination "Osc [1-6] / Pulse Width" in the Modulation Matrix acts like a switch on the oscillator in question if nothing is set to modulate it (matrix/Source = "off").

This is not the case with any other matrix/Destination (OscN / pitch, vol, pan, etc.) which simply are not modulated if matrix/Source is set to "off".

The easiest way to have this happen is just to intialize the program, set Osc1 to anything, then turn on the first matrix/Destination to Osc1 / Pulse Width.  Osc1 will immediately stop sounding.

The situation I discovered this with is I had Osc1 FM Osc2, then set LFO1 (sine) to modulate Osc1 Pulse Width.  This is an interesting sound.  The problem is if I turn the LFO source in the matrix to "off" to compare my sound with and without LFO, I lose my FM since Osc1 is turned off.

A workaround for this particular situation is just to set the LFO Wav1 to "off" but I imagine it might be a bit more effort if I had a complicated LFO set up.  Or I can set matrix/Source to "off" and matrix/Destination to anything but Pulse Width.

Edit: I guess it's easier just to slide the matrix/Range to zero to turn it off, but I'll lose whatever it was set to.

post edited by Paul P - 2014/06/26 14:55:50

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack

1 Reply Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    Re: z3ta+2 : Matrix destination "Osc n PW" kills Osc n 2014/06/26 19:49:11 (permalink)
    I thought that perhaps it was because the oscillator Phase control defaults to 0, but no dice.  The initial phase position doesn't seem to matter with regards to the PWM destination silent treatment.  The Matrix Range slider appears to be the best workaround, provided that you glance at the current parameter readout first to reconstruct.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1