How do you guys record bass guitar?

Author
optimus
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 316
2014/06/29 10:10:49 (permalink)

How do you guys record bass guitar?

Now  I’ve been a bass player for 40 years or so and I think I get a pretty good sound on stage and in live situations with my band, but when it comes to recording I just can’t seem to make it. I just can’t seem to get that nice round present tonality that stands on its own in the mix.

It is only some five years or so that I’ve been into serious recording and while I can get a reasonable mix, that bass is always there, but not so you’d say, “that’s a nice bass sound”.

I have been recording my band which is basically country music, so you know the sound that I’m trying to achieve.  I have tried  recording direct into the interface, I’ve tried direct output from my amp, with a microphone amp mix, interface and direct guitar, interface and allsorts of other mic, amp and direct combinations. All to no pleasing effect.

I can track great vocals, drums and guitars, I know about carving out space for the instruments, but that bass remains just another sound that I have to massively massage to get it to sound presentable in the mix.

What  do you guys do to get a good bass track happening? I realize that the initial tracking is most important and the rest is just adding gloss, so how do you guys go about getting that initial great track tonality?

Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Roland Octacapture, Windows 7, i5 processor, 8 Gb RAM, X_Touch

21 Replies Related Threads

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re: How do you guys record bass guitar? 2014/06/29 10:50:10 (permalink)
    It sort of depends on the style.

If the player plays a straight bass guitar style and sticks to the traditional role of holding down the bottom I run them through a Universal Audio LA 610 channel strip. It's a direct input that more or less sounds as good as or better than the sound they've heard coming through the speaker of their favorite tube amp for years and years.

If the player plays a slapping or touch style and/or maybe has a lot of effects on a pedal board I run them direct in to a Chandler TG2 solid sate preamp.

On rare occasions a player has to have the sound of their favorite amp's speakers in the chain. I find that this is more often true of slapping style players who are accustomed to using speaker distortion as the final effect in their tone. Then I use a mic and nice preamp in a room that is large enough so that the mic can be placed a couple feet from the speaker but still capture more speaker than room.

What ever works!

AT
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: How do you guys record bass guitar? 2014/06/29 10:54:44 (permalink)
    I just DI here at home. Of course, a nice DI.  Radial makes good DIs which aren't too expensive if it is your instrument you are recording.  I usually use either a warm audio preamp for DI or the Portico strip.  The WA gives a nice vintage tone, while the RND Portico just sounds good - on everything.

Many if not most studios use the UA 6176.  You don't have to spend 1000s of dollars, but it does make it easier.  For bass, I always want a transformer in line.

Being a bassist, you might prefer to mic your amp.  Lots of different methods for that, too.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    optimus
    Re: How do you guys record bass guitar? 2014/06/29 12:36:48 (permalink)

"If the player plays a straight bass guitar style and sticks to the traditional role of holding down the bottom I run them through a Universal Audio LA 610 channel strip. It's a direct input that more or less sounds as good as or better than the sound they've heard coming through the speaker of their favorite tube amp for years and years.

If the player plays a slapping or touch style and/or maybe has a lot of effects on a pedal board I run them direct in to a Chandler TG2 solid sate preamp."

The  only outboard gear I have are a couple of bass amps and cabinets and some DI's and have never used a pedalboard, so my style is pretty much traditional old school. I do everything in the box. For a brief time in the 80's I did used some very light chorus when playing one stage, but nothing since.

I have always mic'd up close but I think I'll try micing further out and see how that affects the tone.

Sonar Platinum, Cakewalk by Bandlab, Roland Octacapture, Windows 7, i5 processor, 8 Gb RAM, X_Touch
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re: How do you guys record bass guitar? 2014/06/29 14:05:48 (permalink)
    I use a good DI (Steinberg UR44) and then compress and EQ to taste.  I have found that the less signal chain you use - the better.  

A good bass sound starts with the player and bass instrument itself.  
    Do a search in YouTube for bass sounds and you will find some really good tips on how to play the instrument in different ways to achieve different results.  

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    Mosvalve
    Max Output Level: -67 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1194
    Re: How do you guys record bass guitar? 2014/06/29 18:00:29 (permalink)
    I'm not a bass player but I play bass on my songs. I found this to be helpful to me. Maybe it can help with recording bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vUNUo3TbyI

BobV 

ASUS Prime Z370-P - Intel Core i7+ 8700K 3.7GHZ 16GB Memory, Intel HD Graphics 630 GPU,  Windows 10 Pro 64bit,  , Sonar Platinum 64bit, Motu 828MK3 Hybrid, Warm Audio TB12 Pre, Warm Audio WA273 Pre, AEA RPQ 500 Pre, Warm Audio WA76 Compressor, Presonus D8 Pre, Tonelux EQ5P 500 Eq, Kush Electra 500 Eq, Lindell PEX 500 Eq, Yamaha 80M monitors with HS10W Sub,  and a bunch of other good stuff. I have a Roland Juno-106 that's looking for a new home. PM me.
    LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re: How do you guys record bass guitar? 2014/06/29 22:10:00 (permalink)
    I run one track through my UA LA 610 MkII pre-amp.  This pre has a fantastic sound and compressor for Bass.  I'll then simultaneously record the Bass amp mic'ed up with a Shure KSM 44, which I find has an excellent low end response.  During mixing you can blend them together.

If I am in a hurry, I just go the direct route through the LA 610.  

On an added note, GuitarRig has some cool sounds for Bass and worth experimenting with, if you are not capturing the sound you want.

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    The Band19
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2795
    Re: How do you guys record bass guitar? 2014/06/29 22:34:51 (permalink)
    I go in to my pre-amp, then soundcard. I squeeze it a bit in the pre (LA-610) and then treat it once it's ITB, typically Voxengo LF Max Punch, and or Alloy (Izotope) Then in the master, Ozone. I am a bass player, but also guitar and keys and a few others. I do love the bass though...

-------------

Edit, HA! MIKE! LA610 :-) yeah buddy...

Sittin downtown in a railway station one toke over the line.
    optimus
    Re: How do you guys record bass guitar? 2014/06/30 04:01:13 (permalink)
    Thanks guys, I think I'm getting somewhere.

I changed the strings on my bass from the flats I've been using for years to round wounds and set a mic a couple of feet away from my bass cab to get some room, and used a DI to split my bass guitar to bass amp and interface. I don't have any outboard pre-amps or compressors but already I'm hearing a difference.

I've sent the two bass tracks to a bus and inserted Guitar Rigs Ampeg emulator and made some slight adjustments and I think things are looking up.

Perhaps the round wound strings have made a difference. I've used flats for years because I like the old fashion thump they gave a precision bass which suited the music I was playing. Old habits die hard. Also previously I put the mic right up against the cab. With a bit of air between now, perhaps allows the sound to bloom, just like playing live, I always liked my amp as far back from me as possible in order to hear the sound develop.

Cactus Music
    • Total Posts : 8424
    Re: How do you guys record bass guitar? 2014/06/30 10:06:25 (permalink)
    I was going to add that doesn't matter so much how it GET"S there as how it starts out. 

#1 - The bass must sound good unplugged. 
    #2-  The bass must have good Pick ups. 

The rest is just going to capture what you have going, If it ain't happening before it hits that first pre amp, it becomes an uphill battle. 
    Looks like you solved your issue with the strings as that's what makes #1 work. 

Johnny V  
    Cakelab  
    Focusrite 6i61st - Tascam us1641. 
    3 Desktops and 3 Laptops W7 and W10
     http://www.cactusmusic.ca/

davdud101
    Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1058
    Re: How do you guys record bass guitar? 2014/06/30 10:15:58 (permalink)
    I fake it.

with a guitar and a bass synth. 

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
    Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
    Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
    DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re: How do you guys record bass guitar? 2014/06/30 18:53:48 (permalink)
    Right now, I only record me playing on other folk's tracks but I like running my Music Man 5 string into a Country Man DI > Fender Bassman 20 tube amp w/15" speaker> SM57 close mic'd.  I also have a room mic (U87) either 3 ft or 6 ft back.  I track three tracks - DI into a UA 6176, close mic and a room mic.  I usually low pass the DI around 100 hz and then blend the room mic and close mic depending on what I need.  I send the three tracks to an Aux track or an audio track and then disable and hide the original tracks unless what I have isn't working out later.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    michaelhanson
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3529
    Re: How do you guys record bass guitar? 2014/06/30 20:15:18 (permalink)
    Mod Bod, I assume you are using a splitter to go direct and mic at the same time. Have you ever tried using the stereo jacks on your white Rick to split the signal? I have been wondering laterly if tht would work similar.

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
    https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
    iTunes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
    BMI
    bayoubill
    • Total Posts : 10899
    Re: How do you guys record bass guitar? 2014/06/30 23:04:02 (permalink)
    The best sound I have gotten on my bass was going direct to the edirol interface.

SWAMP MUSIC
    Sonar PLATINUM        
    Studio Cat DAW

The Maillard Reaction
    Re: How do you guys record bass guitar? 2014/07/01 14:43:45 (permalink)
    Android roulette
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2014/07/01 16:11:48

The Maillard Reaction
    Re: How do you guys record bass guitar? 2014/07/01 14:47:08 (permalink)
    Android doppleganger

The Maillard Reaction
    Re: How do you guys record bass guitar? 2014/07/01 14:51:09 (permalink)
    MakeShift
    Mod Bod, I assume you are using a splitter to go direct and mic at the same time. Have you ever tried using the stereo jacks on your white Rick to split the signal? I have been wondering laterly if tht would work similar.

Rick o Sound isn't quite like stereo or split mono, it is more like two mono signals from two different sources. You may want to use both sources and on top of that you may want to split both direct and through amp/mix setups for a total of 4 tracks. Maybe.
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2014/07/01 16:10:41

wogg
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1819
    Re: How do you guys record bass guitar? 2014/07/01 22:00:07 (permalink)
    Direct to board from Pre-amp.  Through a simple solid state pre, and a cheap Alesis compressor.  Before the box compression is at about 4:1, knocking down 6-10dB when hit hard.  I have simple 3 band tone control in the pre with a little boost on the low, and a lot of boost on the high.

In the box I use the good old fashioned Cakewalk Tape Sim for extra warmth and a little grit.  That sucker is old, cheap, but still really quite good for Bass.  After that I use a Waves rChannel for a tiny bit of extra compression and limiting.  EQ in the box is slight, depending on the track.

I find that the tone of your bass is dependent primarily on your playing style.  It's best to play with the treble boosted heavily to hear exactly what you're doing to the strings.  If you can control the tone yourself with +12dB of high boost, you'll be a much better bass player.

Examples: https://soundcloud.com/paul-graves-1

Homepage:
    The World of Wogg

Starise
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7563
    Re: How do you guys record bass guitar? 2014/07/02 11:00:18 (permalink)
    I have tried different approaches. I think in my case I need to upgrade my bass pickups or change strings as I haven't had the best of luck with my tone.

I had been using the pres on my sound card which aren't terrible, but it leaves a lot to be desired if you want to compete with pro mixes. I haven't really attempted to use an outboard pre yet for bass. One thing that really made a difference was changing the battery in my bass duh..

Right now my best bass tracks are midi played in to a sound ITB. I might sweeten that up a bit with Amplitube  SVX or GR. There are some  good bass samples out there. ....so I guess I'm at almost the same place you are. 

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
    3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
    Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
     CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

michaelhanson
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3529
    Re: How do you guys record bass guitar? 2014/07/02 11:57:03 (permalink)
    Rick o Sound isn't quite like stereo or split mono, it is more like two mono signals from two different sources. You may want to use both sources and on top of that you may want to split both direct and through amp/mix setups for a total of 4 tracks. Maybe.

Sounds like I may have to do some experimenting with this as time allows. 

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
    https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
    iTunes:
    https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
    BMI
    tagruvto
    Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 221
    Re: How do you guys record bass guitar? 2014/07/03 00:06:45 (permalink)
    I've been quite pleased with the sound I get from plugging the bass into an Eden WTDI and then running this to the
    interface preamp input. 

i7-4770 CPU @3.40 GHZ
    16.0 GB RAM
    Widows 10   64-bit
    SONAR Platinum
    Focusrite Scarlett 18i20
    Dave Modisette
    • Total Posts : 11050
    Re: How do you guys record bass guitar? 2014/07/09 21:37:53 (permalink)
    MakeShift

No, never tried that.  I don't record the Rick very often.  It's a bit of a one trick pony and I've got to the point where I'm recording and producing other people's songs so I go with a more generic, track friendly bass, my Stingray 5.

I use a DI and that gives me an amp output and a mic preamp output.  I've got an ABC line splitter so I might give that a try with the Rick whenever I come up with something appropriate for it.

Dave Modisette ... rocks a Purrrfect Audio Studio Pro rig.

http://www.gatortraks.com 
    My music.
    ... And of course, the Facebook page. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1