Video Engine problem - any work arounds?!

Author
tele0n
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14
2014/07/12 09:06:29 (permalink)

Video Engine problem - any work arounds?!

I am trying to move the In Point of a video in Sonar X3, which can apparently only be done when using Direct Show engine.

"Adjusting a video clip's start time is currently only supported when using the DirectShow video engine, not when using the Media Foundation video engine."

I have switched Sonar X3 video engine from the Default Media Foundation engine to the Direct Show engine as instructed by Cakewalk Documentation. 

However, when checking 'Info' tab in the 'Video Properties' it keeps saying it's using Media Foundation Engine. (I checked a previous project that uses Direct Show and Info tab shows it is Direct Show so I know the config file is properly set up - and I can tweak the in point)

Does Sonar X3 sometimes over-ride the Direct Show Engine when it thinks a file should be Media Foundation? Is there a way top stop it? 

Video Properties, MPEG-4, AVC baseline @L4.0, 1920x1080, 25fps, 4,281kbps - standard mp4 export from Final Cut

I really need to just shift the in point so I can edit music to a video and there is no other way I can think to get it to start where I need it to be so I can edit to the start of a bar with click/BPM.

I was able to do this before the Xd update and now I'm really stuck looking for a solution with a tight deadline looming - Please Help!!
post edited by tele0n - 2014/07/12 09:21:22

Windows 7 Home Premium (64 Bit) Service Pack 1
Sonar X3 Producer (X3e patch installed) 
Motu UltraLite mk3 Hybrid (Firewire External Sound device)
Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4430 CPU (3.00 GHz) 
Gigabyte GA-Z87-D3HP 
Motherboard 
ATI Radeon HD4800 Series Graphics 
8GB DDR3 RAM 
256GB SanDisk Solid State System Drive 
1TB SATA Storage Drive (7200 RPM)

26 Replies Related Threads

Jimbo 88
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1828
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2014/07/12 10:08:42 (permalink)
    I work with video in Sonar on a daily basis and basically.... try not to bother with video issues inside Sonar.  The quickest, easiest thing is to do any editing in a video app like Sony Vegas, Windows Movie Maker or Quicktime Pro.

Every picture file I receive from a client  I put a :10 count down before the 1st frame of picture or where I want the music to start. Then I create an AVI file to import into Sonar.  Nothing but smooth sailing from there on out!!

If you do any kind of work with video you will be best served to just grab one of the video apps and become competent in it.    
    You can move/slice up your pic file any way you want,  work with it in Sonar, export a new wav file and drop it back into your original video.

Good luck.

Cakewalk By Bandlab
    Cubase 9.5 Pro
    Windows 7 64 Bit   Core i7-8700   32 Gig Ram 3.20ghz  
    RME Fireface 400 Audio Card
    Behringer FCA 1616
    Sweetwater Creation Station

tele0n
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2014/07/12 11:39:45 (permalink)
    Hi Jimbo,

Thanks for the reply. I'm writing some music for a client's showreel, I actually did send my draft music file with a Bar of high pitch clicks to help with sync, but for some reason the editor in his wisdom has removed them so when I got sent the video file back the clicks had gone and the file doesn't line up. 

In the past this hasn't been a problem as I could just shift the video in-points to line it back up with music after importing it - but with the post X3d changes this is no longer possible and there's some weird bug stopping the Direct Show engine from running...

I know how to video edit, so I've had to do what you suggest and dropped the file into Final Cut Pro on my Mac and re-aligned it with the clicks on the original audio draft. I've exported the .mov file and then re-imported it back into Sonar with no problem - but I have wasted half the day messing around with this issue and video editing when it should have been a 5 minute job and I could have been creating music!

I have been incredibly disappointed with Cakewalk's approach to video & music in Sonar, you are so right that it is just not worth bothering with, such a shame that such a powerful DAW is completely let down by poor video features!

Having said that I should have guessed the editor was a bit useless when he told me he thought the clicks were part of the music track... Doh!  

I would really still like to know why the Direct Show engine hasn't been worked, and if Cakewalk will enable in-point editing for Media Foundation video engine any day soon  - Xf perhaps?
    dubdisciple
    Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5849
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2014/07/12 14:08:10 (permalink)
    Direct Show s being phased out by MS so Cakewalk has little choice but to move on.
    dlion16
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 391
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2014/07/12 14:14:59 (permalink)
    trying to tinker with video in an audio app, or get the audio app to do more than just play the video and allow you to sync audio events to it, i think is a bit off base. 

many folks have been able to work with video in sonar, not elegant, maybe, but doable... there have been many posts...

i'm a vegas editor as well. i do much of my audio in vegas, as it really began as a multitrack audio editor. if i need to compose something of a set length, i'll do that in sonar and import to vegas, or use something like the old cinescore. if a piece of audio needs work, i use a combo of sound forge and sonar.

the right tool for the job. sonar is so complex, i'd rather they concentrate on the audio rather than trying add more video functionality.

SONAR Platinum Lifetime 64-bit; Focusrite Scarlett 6i6 2nd Gen.; KRK Rokit 5; ASUS P9X79; INTEL I7-3820 3.6 GHZ;
    850 WATT POWER SUPPLY; EVGA NVIDIA GTX560 TI 1GB;
    Windows 10 Home 64-bit; 32GB RAM;
    2 Internal SSD Drives, 3 External USB drives.
    g_randybrown
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3522
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2014/07/12 16:17:07 (permalink)
    I've always wondered why one can't simply slide a single clip of video on a single video track in an app that is capable of importing video (but then I don't know jack regarding what that might entail).
    Like you and Jimbo I too have to do a lot of manipulation in Vegas ...but man...wouldn't it be great to slide (even just a single clip) video around...not "tinker" with it...just move it?
    It seems to me if someone were to come up with a combination of Sonar and Vegas it could sell for more than the price of Sonar X3 and Vegas Pro 13 combined....I know I would buy it.
    End of rant...carry on please

G. Randy Brown 
    Windows 10, 64 bit, Platinum
    Intel Core i7-3770S
    Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
    4X8GB Corsair XMS3 memory 
    500 GB Crucial BX100 SSD (OS)
    two WD Black 1 TB HDD
    SAPPHIRE DUAL-X 100314-4L Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 
    Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
    youtube.com/crystalclearnm
    Noel Borthwick [Cakewalk]
    Cakewalk Staff
    • Total Posts : 6475
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2014/07/12 16:51:48 (permalink)
    As of X3E the video engine setting is treated as the "default mode". i.e. its the default engine is used to attempt to load the video and if it fails to load there then it will try the alternate engine. If you did switch to directshow and restart sonar and the video still loads in MF mode then it typically means that Directshow cannot load that video format. Its not a bug. MP4's are not supported by DShow by default since a decoder doesn't ship with windows so you will need a 3'rd party codec for that.

The inability to trim or move videos in MF mode is a Microsoft limitation that we are waiting for them to resolve. Its far from a simple issue though it might appear that way. A huge amount of work was put in to video in X3 and it is a lot more powerful than before. We will add improvements in the future when Microsoft adds further support.

Noel Borthwick
    Senior Manager Audio Core, BandLab
    My Blog, Twitter, BandLab Profile
    g_randybrown
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3522
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2014/07/12 17:03:43 (permalink)
    We will add improvements in the future when Microsoft adds further support.

YAY...thanks Noel!

G. Randy Brown 
    Windows 10, 64 bit, Platinum
    Intel Core i7-3770S
    Asus P8Z77-V LK mobo   
    4X8GB Corsair XMS3 memory 
    500 GB Crucial BX100 SSD (OS)
    two WD Black 1 TB HDD
    SAPPHIRE DUAL-X 100314-4L Radeon HD 6970 2GB 256-Bit GDDR5 
    Presonus AudioBox 22VSL
    youtube.com/crystalclearnm
    dubdisciple
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2014/07/12 18:59:11 (permalink)
    I think if making the super all in one video/audio editor that is state of art at both was simple it would have been done by now.  Vegas comes closest but  the audio core has hardly been touched in over ten years.  Most audio improvements have come in the form of third party plugins developed for Sound Forge or audio for video specific functions like surround sound enhancements. Core plugins are ancient.  That is a testament to both the quality of the plugins but also a statement about the focus of Sony.
    LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2014/07/12 20:39:28 (permalink)
    In Pro Tools I can trim video, slip edit, adjust start and end times etc, all while using Microsoft Windows.  Just for anyone who cares.

Sonar has given me so many headaches working with video, I ended up going Jimbo's route with Vegas.  Unlike him, I have never gotten AVI to work with Sonar, so I always use WMV files with Sonar. 

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    dubdisciple
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2014/07/12 20:42:53 (permalink)
    LpMike75
    In Pro Tools I can trim video, slip edit, adjust start and end times etc, all while using Microsoft Windows.  Just for anyone who cares.

Sonar has given me so many headaches working with video, I ended up going Jimbo's route with Vegas.  Unlike him, I have never gotten AVI to work with Sonar, so I always use WMV files with Sonar. 

which codec are you using with avi?  I think this throws people off a lot because there are so many common file types that can be housed in an avi container.
    dubdisciple
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2014/07/12 20:44:54 (permalink)
    btw, i never use avi with Sonar either because the resource hit is not worth it to me. I have gotten avi to work . I just use wmv because I end up exporting the sound to video editor to assemble anyway.

LpMike75
    Max Output Level: -59 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1621
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2014/07/13 18:03:33 (permalink)
    dubdisciple
    LpMike75

which codec are you using with avi?  I think this throws people off a lot because there are so many common file types that can be housed in an avi container.

I don't know which codec of AVI I have tried.  I gave up a while back and just moved on with WMV.  Like you, I only use it as a reference and re-import the music to Vegas and then bounce to Quicktime or whatever format the client needs as a reference.  

As of late, I have had more and more clients ask me to marry the music with the picture.  (Most of this type of work is bumpers or web commercials).  At first I didn't like it, but then I realized, if they are asking me to put the music in the final cut, that means they are done editing!  It totally makes up for those jobs that request 10 different music cuts because they don't stop editing lol

- Mike
    Sonar Platinum - M-Audio Profire 2626 , Pro Tools 11 HD Omni - PC I7 6850K - 64 G RAM - GeForce GTX 970
    http://www.soundcloud.com/michael-lizotte 
    Http://WWW.HomeRecordingWizard.Com
    HTTP://WWW.Facebook.com/HomeRecordingWizard
    Http://www.mjlmusic.com 
    Jimbo 88
    Max Output Level: -57 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1828
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2014/07/14 00:04:59 (permalink)
    Here is the thing...yea you can do things in PTools and other programs with video and tempo that you can't do in sonar, but I would never want to work in PTools.  Because Sonar does so many other things better.  So what would you be giving up if Sonar had more video features?

I'm kinda simple minded and have been able to figure out every curve thrown at me (trust me in the 30 years I've been in this industry I've dealt with every issue possible). One big reason is Sonar has been a pretty basic app.  At least it started out that way.  I kinda like Sonar doing one thing,  help me create music.  Personally I hope it stays that way.  I hope staff view improves and Video stays as it is.  Perhaps adding streamers like DP does would be cool, but I'm probably the only one on the planet who wants that.  But heck, I can add streamers in Vegas anyway.

Just my simple minded 2 cents.....  

Cakewalk By Bandlab
    Cubase 9.5 Pro
    Windows 7 64 Bit   Core i7-8700   32 Gig Ram 3.20ghz  
    RME Fireface 400 Audio Card
    Behringer FCA 1616
    Sweetwater Creation Station

tele0n
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2014/07/14 14:26:50 (permalink)
    Noel - many thanks, you answered my question as to why having changed the video engine from MF to DS that Sonar reverts back to MF if it can'd load the clip in DS. The major issue being for me that the in-point set box is therefore greyed out and can't be used.

However, I know that this can be blamed on Microsoft, but can't Sonar take a leaf out of some of the other DAWs mentioned above that can already do this really simple yet important task and come up with their own solution? It seems like there's a lot of other people who would like this to work properly but are going elsewhere to get the job done...

dlion16 - sorry I think you need to re-read my original Post, as I don't think I'm being "a bit off base". I wasn't "tinkering" or asking for any major video enhancements and new functionality, just the ability to move the in-point as I "have been able to" in previous releases, to start the video so it's in sync with my music. (Also I don't create the video, it's sent by the client so I'm not really in control of the format etc). Sonar was the right tool for the job!
    dubdisciple
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2014/07/14 14:54:31 (permalink)
    LPmike, although you seem to have found a workflow you are comfortable with, if for any reason you run into this issue with sonar or another product, gspot is a free utility that will let you know exactly what codec your file is using. Short of installing huge megacodec packs (that sometimes have viruses) it is unlikely your computer covers every codec possibility. Hence the common problem of avis not working for some people.
    Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2014/07/14 15:07:45 (permalink)
    I would just like to warn anyone who is thinking about shelling out for Vegas that you still won't be able to export 1:1 quality video with new audio. It has its own rendering options which may end up looking different from the original.
    dubdisciple
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2014/07/14 15:41:03 (permalink)
    Sanderxpander
    I would just like to warn anyone who is thinking about shelling out for Vegas that you still won't be able to export 1:1 quality video with new audio. It has its own rendering options which may end up looking different from the original.

Not really refuting what you are saying ( I rarely use Vegas now and have not upgraded in years) but you may want to spend a little more time getting to know the export system before being certain about that warning. Little things can make such a huge difference when exporting in all video programs. Also source material does matter, as well as your project settings. When I used Vegas, the renderer was slow but I never suffered from any noticeable dropoff in quality.
    Sanderxpander
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2014/07/14 17:21:03 (permalink)
    I understand completely, and should have mentioned I only just started using it. However, the OPs needs seem just as small/simple as my own and the simple fact is that Vegas does not allow you to simply replace audio and export the existing video stream. I have little knowledge about video software but it seems to me that as soon as you start rendering again, differences (for better or worse) between source and end product can arise and it has certainly been my experience.

At the very least it's not a simple "just get Vegas and you're good to go".
    dubdisciple
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2014/07/14 17:46:45 (permalink)
    Very true. I cringe whenever I see the " just get vegas" solution to somve video issues with Sonar. Vegas is great..but the pro version is total overkill for most of the issues described. Although I think it has an easier learning curve than most major editors, it is still a complex and advanced application that takes time to get ideal results.

One of the reasons people get tripped up on exporting is because the file formats of most video cameras is rarely the ideal or desired deliverable end product.
    Steve_Karl
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2534
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2014/07/15 08:01:59 (permalink)
    Sanderxpander
     ... the simple fact is that Vegas does not allow you to simply replace audio and export the existing video stream.

That's not been my experience with Vegas 9 Pro.
    I can easily replace any audio and re render (I'd not call it "export") the video, or any part of it,
    with the new audio, even with the old audio in the project, as long as the old is muted,
    or to take it further, even parts of the new audio and the old audio combined,
    or just the video, or just the audio. It seems every imaginable option is easily available.
    Slicing, moving clips, using volume envelopes or composite envelopes is very easy for me in Vegas.

To the OP.
    Yea. Fix it in Vegas or any other Video NLE.
    In Vegas if you need more room at the front just drag the video clip down the time line a good bit to give yourself the head room.
    You can set tempo in Vegas and then tell the time line to show Measures & Beats, turn on snap, snap the start of the video
    to measure 4 beat one. Render, import into Sonar project with same tempo and there ya go.
    You can also disable all snapping and slide the video ( or audio ) by samples and get an exact start point lined up with a measure / beat or minutes:seconds:frames.

post edited by Steve_Karl - 2017/09/08 01:03:50

Steve Karl
    https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    Sanderxpander
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2014/07/15 17:04:07 (permalink)
    The problem is that you have to rerender instead of simply combining the existing video with new audio by remuxing. As far as I understand, this means an inherent loss of quality unless you're going for a completely lossless file format, in which case you'll end up with a huge file (way bigger than the original). The difference may be slight and you may not care, though. It may also be only for certain formats, but it has been my experience so far.
    Steve_Karl
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2014/07/16 04:53:25 (permalink)
    I never suspected that Vegas could remux. There seem to be other tools for that.
    http://www.sonycreativesoftware.com/Forums/ShowMessage.asp?Forum=4&MessageID=861323

But that won't solve the OPs "slide the video" issue and since the OP want's to compose to the video
    this implies that he's only working with a reference video and is not responsible for the final output.
    So re rendering is no big deal.
    Just send the newly composed audio to the producer / editor and they'll add it in the original project file along side the dialog and folly tracks.

Back to it...
    The 'slide the video' problem is easily solved with Vegas or any other NLE that will allow setting tempo and viewing timeline by measures & Beats. Adding any desired count or number of bars in front of the video, or slip editing the video to a later start point is solved.
    Then again, maybe a later version of Sonar will fix it by adding the same type of video engine Vegas is using.
    P.S. Make sure your frame rates match exactly!
    post edited by Steve_Karl - 2014/07/16 05:11:34

Steve Karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    Sanderxpander
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2014/07/16 05:25:01 (permalink)
    I agree, I just wanted to chime in and say even an expensive program like Vegas isn't a one-stop solution for people who are having problems working with video in Sonar. I recently bought it and while I have other uses for it, my first one was as simple as this and the results were disappointing.
    Steve_Karl
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2014/07/16 05:50:57 (permalink)
    Understood.
    But to be more clear, expecting Vegas to remux isn't really relevant to problems working with video in Sonar.
    It's a side issue and expectation about Vegas that has nothing to do with working with video in Sonar.

I believe Vegas, or any other decent NLE, can solve any and all problems that are actually only about working with video in Sonar.

Steve Karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    Brando
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2776
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2017/08/19 12:33:03 (permalink)
    Thanks Jean - very helpful post. Clipped to my Sonar OneNote notebook.

Brando
    Cakewalk, Studio One Pro, Reaper
    Presonus Audiobox 1818VSL
    ASUS Prime Z370-A LGA1151, 32GB DDR4, Intel 8700K i7, 500 GB SSD, 3 x 1TB HDD, Windows 10 Pro 64
    Twigman
    Max Output Level: -38.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3667
    Re: Video Engine problem - any work arounds?! 2017/09/07 23:20:25 (permalink)
    Ah so I'm not alone!!!!

I have a video which I need to start at  137813 in my project.......and have followed the Help here http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR&language=3&help=Playback.46.html#1643946
    but still getting Media Foundation as the video engine... the video is in .MOV format

HELP! How do I get my video to start where I want it?

Edit:

I am using Sonar Platinum - fully up to date
    I do not want to fork out for a video editing suite just for this (simple?) task...

Become a Fan on Facebook
    Buy our stuff on iTunes
    Q9550-P5QL-E-8GB1066RAM-GT9800 1GB-RME HDSP9632-W7Prox64-X2x64
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1