Pioneer monitors - anyone had any experience or thoughts ?

Author
MacFurse
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 324
2014/07/18 20:19:52 (permalink)

Pioneer monitors - anyone had any experience or thoughts ?

Hi guys.

Thinking of picking up some Pioneer SDJ05 monitors, which are selling at the moment for $400 AUD. They have multiple switchable inputs, EQ controls and bi-amping, into the standard 5in woofer and tweeter arrangement. Controls are also on a desktop remote that comes as standard. Reviews say they have a 'punchy' bottom end, slight toppy highs, but nothing unusual.

I'm thinking they may be handy for listening to different stages, ie, recording, mixing and mastering. I can't imagine they would be brilliant at one of these areas, let alone all 3, but it seems they would be a valuable addition regardless, particularly at such a low price.

I already have some Alesis 5in MkII's that I started with, have ordered a set of Event 2030's 3 way monitors, that I hope will be my main set, and have begun wiring and setting up two standard Hifi amps, with various speaker sets from floor standing to bookshelf systems, to aid in the mastering process.

But these Pioneer's seem reasonable. Anyone had a play with them?

Thanks. Dave.

Platinum. i7 4771 3.5ghz. ECU H87 mobo with 3 monitor support. 16gb Ripjaws 1600mhz. Focusrite 18i20. 2 x 250gb Samsung EVO SSD's OP/Programs. 2x1TB Seagate Baracuda sata3 data drives. 200gb sata2 bootable drive for online and downloading only. Seagate 2tb USB 3.0 backup drive.  2x27in monitors. Rode K2 valve mic. Sontronics STC-1 pair. Studio Projects B1 condenser. SM58B. SM57B. Presonus Eureka Preamp.

0 Replies Related Threads

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1