Weird clicking on PS Audiobox...

Author
davdud101
Max Output Level: -69 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1058
2014/07/19 07:19:41 (permalink)

Weird clicking on PS Audiobox...

Hi, guys. Recently I had to record my sister playing an electric piano for a wedding. I dual mic'd  by placing one 'highs' mic off-axis above the 'tweeter' speaker, and a 'lows' mic a bit more on axis towards the mids portion of the speaker. BUT that's not important.

What IS important is that I'm using a PreSonus Audiobox and I was recording into Audacity for MacOSX. There was a wireless router in the room that I noticed, while it was nearby, was making weird noises in the recording, so I moved it. I'm not sure if that was the cause, but I ended up with some weird, sort of random clicks/pops all over the track.

It was my first time doing this, and I'm a 'child' by US definition, so I'll learn better next time, but any ideas on why this occurred, and what can be done to prevent it again?

Mics: MXL 990, MXL R80, 2 x MXL Tempo XLRs, Cobalt Co9, SM48, iSK Starlight
Cans: Hifiman HE4XX, AKG M220
Gear: Cakewalk BBL - PreSonus Firepod - Alesis Elevate 3 - Axiom 49
DAW: Win10, AMD FX-8300, 16GB DDR3

1 Reply Related Threads

spacealf
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2133
    Re: Weird clicking on PS Audiobox... 2014/07/20 13:21:21 (permalink)
    Interference. Electromagnetic waves all around. (TV, Radio, whatever). Probably wireless is just too close to have even near. Near Electrical power lines (big ones) can add to that. Long microphone cords may add a little to that, with unbalanced cords if those are used and not XLR cables. Cheaper cables then more expensive cables, and sometimes more expensive cables does not mean better. Grounding circuits in electrical wiring, power conditioners to cut out noise in power lines. Whatever! All can be looked up on the Internet.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1