Wow...no new good music being made anymore...

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Moshkiae
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6111
Re: Wow...no new good music being made anymore... 2014/07/26 11:27:37 (permalink)
Rain

There is a HUGE precedent for this btw.

One of the biggest is that there was/were/are a couple of bootlegs of the famous concert at the Roxy, from which the LP/CD was made, and that more than half the concert, which supposedly is just as good if not better, is still not released, and the fans on the Zappa board are merciless on this account.

Apparently a video is also available and it won't be released because the Zappas do not own it, the folks that owned the Roxy at the time do, and they want to make the money off it, not share it, appears to be the story, and I'm not sure that the Zappa Trust is big enough, or rich enough to be able to buy this off that person.

To my knowledge, the only other boots that would be interesting to listen to of Frank's concerts, would always be his warmups ... period!!!! It's where some of his instrumentals came from.

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

craigb
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Wow...no new good music being made anymore... 2014/07/26 11:35:34 (permalink)

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Wow...no new good music being made anymore... 2014/07/26 13:09:50 (permalink)
Why would I need to rent bootlegs?

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
Moshkiae
Max Output Level: -14 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6111
Re: Wow...no new good music being made anymore... 2014/07/27 16:47:55 (permalink)
craigb
All-the-bootlegs-you-will-ever-need.torrent

Enjoy! 

I hear that the CHB bootlegs are the rip ... worthless! I would imagine that the guys would have been smart enough by now to release them all, but the geriatric feelings of a good time for 10 minutes is long gone! Like a few years!

As a wise Guy once stated from his holy chapala ... none of the hits, none of the time ... prevents you from becoming just another turkey in the middle of all the other turkeys! 

craigb
Re: Wow...no new good music being made anymore... 2014/07/27 18:12:54 (permalink)
Moshkiae
craigb
All-the-bootlegs-you-will-ever-need.torrent

Enjoy! 

I hear that the CHB bootlegs are the rip ... worthless! I would imagine that the guys would have been smart enough by now to release them all, but the geriatric feelings of a good time for 10 minutes is long gone! Like a few years!

I'm still waiting for someone to try that link...

SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Wow...no new good music being made anymore... 2014/07/28 07:52:57 (permalink)
Moshkiae
Hi,

Bootlegs?

Some that I have heard over the years, although this was way before I cam up to the Pacific Northwest where the majority of these is now difficult to find, specially since that one neat record store closed about 10 years ago on Stark.

The Beatles - Christmas Shows (7 of them!) - Fabulous quality and recorded directly off the BBC air.

The Beatles - Live in Hamburg - It's not great, but it tells you how much this band improved and you can hear things that showed up way later! It also makes "Let It Be" almost a left over album with the stuff they had left behind!

Pink Floyd - There are 2 albums that are around the Atom Heart Mother era, that came out on a label called "Wizardo". It was very good.

Pink Floyd - There are three bootlegs that came out BEFORE the release of DSOTM, that had them playing the full DSOTM before the album. In those albums, the "greatest gig in the sky" was Syd Barrett as a priest doing what sounded like various sermons, with some of his very famous lines all over it. "... people have stood, and cheered, something they did not understand!"  This is important, only for one reason. When DSOTM came out, this was removed and what they did was "better" and more enjoyable, no doubt about that at ALL! However, AFTER, the album came out, the new bootlegs had some new material that was not there before, and they were "Raving and Drooling" and "Gotta be Crazy", and one other piece that was not clear what its title was. Here is where my theory came up about the "next" PF album. They already had the next album with the pieces they were already playing. But I think that the record company wanted something closer to DSOTM, and the new material was way out there away from it. "WYWH" was created, with the 2 nasty pieces against the record company (Welcome to the Machine and Have a Cigar), and the rest almost a copy of the previous album. While I still like WYWH, it is not as good as the "original", which was much more interesting and a lot less "radio" oriented.

Led Zeppelin - Bonzo's Birthday Party/Live on Blueberry Hill/ and one more whose name I forget. These 3 albums were from a series of concerts in Los Angeles, and for my tastes, still the best concert I have ever heard in my life, when it comes to energy, and non stop insanity! It's like they could go on and on and on, and just rip your heart in pieces! Absolutely fabulous, although the story is that Bonzo did not play drums for almost half of the Birthday Party show, if that is the same one.

Bob Dylan - The original "basement tapes", which were, for a long time, a series of 3 LP's. Not sure what the big brouhaha was here, but I believe it has to do with the fact that Bob gets tired of the same thing over and over again, and has a habit of changing lyrics and pieces on stage! I have not given these a good listen at all, but was once told that they rival'd "Blonde on Blonde" in energy and work.

Genesis - I had 2 of these at one time, and they were not very good. They were BEFORE "SEBTP" and I thought they were very poor specially compared to the Live album that had been released almost a year before and was only available as an IMPORT.

Bonzo Dog Doodah Band - To my knowledge there is only one of these and it is a compilation of various pieces and nicks and knacks and not quite a concert album. But it has one piece in it that shows a lot about the Bonzoes and where they came from and what "arts" and other various paraphernalia they partook in! The song "We're Normal" had its lyrics taken from the play "Marat/Sade" on West End at the time. It's incredibly anti-establishment subject and the show itself, was huge in many ways, specially artistically, and it influenced more than just one song in London!

The Doors - None of "The Doors" bootlegs I have ever heard (about 4 of them), had anything better or worth discussing. Ray Manzarek brought out stuff in "An American Prayer" right after Jim passed away and while it's difficult to believe that there was no more, the likelihood is that there was a lot, but none of it made sense or could be used anywhere in a format that anyone could appreciate. The likelihood is that there still are many poems that might not have music behind it, but the rock music world could never imagine a real poet ... only a rock star. And that would be a concern, from an artistic point of view about the folks around them, who were not intelligent, or smart enough to know better. But it is also likely that there was nothing else.

Chicago - In the early days, Chicago also did long cuts in concert. However, these were always cleaned out, LATER, when they had too many "hits" already, and the band lost its touch when it came to the music itself, instead of the song. One bootleg, had "I'm a Man" on one side (20 some minutes0, and another long piece on the other side. I can not tell you the name of this bootleg at all, and I have never seen it after I heard it in Madison.

Richard and Linda Thompson - Live (More or Less). This came out, later, as an LP. However it was a mess, other than the two long cuts, "Calvary Cross" and "Night Comes In" which were both unbelievably fabulous with one of the most beautiful bass guitar jobs ever done, by Dave Pegg of Fairport Concention. This album is not available as a CD, although it is supposedly found in other albums, though I have never found it, and I have 13 RT albums, 9 FC albums, 4 SD albums and 2 LT albums!

(and lastly!!!)

The Beatles - "Let it Be". There were over 10 bootlegs that were around this film and material. Why so many is weird, and strange, but there were so many other things mixed in to those albums that made one think that there was more to the "Let It Be" thing, than the eventual fight in the end, that makes it look like the Beatles were done, which of course, you could tell by their concert in the roof, that they still had the music in them, and then some! But the external crap around it was down right weird. Here's a short list:

1. Peter Cook and Dudley Moore
2. Peter Sellers
3. Magic Christian Soundtrack and other film out takes
4. Beatles Christmas shows bits and pieces (Besame Mucho for example)
5. Several versions of "Across the Universe", including the famous version with the guitat not quite in tune with the song.
6. The medley with (what's his name that played the organ!!!) is much longer, than what ended up in the film.
7. A couple of outtakes that were a part of "Tonite We All Love in London"

While all of these could be just a funny bit, and nothing more, it is hard to not believe there was a connection and that someone was just putting fun stuff together for your entertainment and mine!

I heard other bootlegs, Alice Cooper, Spooky Tooth, Iron Butterfly, Santana, Jefferson Airplane, Grateful Dead (still the biggest seller of boots ever, at the time!), and I never really thought that any of them were that big a deal, except the GD stuff. Those long cuts never ended up on an LP, and no one ever heard where the "long cut" in rock music came from!

Sorry to take away from the main thread ... but none of these bootlegs would I want to hear remastered, other than ... possibly ... some of the really neat versions of "Atom Heart Mother" - like the lullaby one used for the ballet, and other things, but I think that's a one off bit of weirdness but it was really pretty, and almost ALL of it, Richard Wright, though Roger and David did some nice lullaby vocals instead of lyrics. 

Why don't you digitize all your vinyl and tape bootlegs and sell them.

You'd make a fortune.

And you could set up a free download for your friends here in the CH.

I'd really like to listen to some of this stuff - come on Pedro, share the lurve.

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Wow...no new good music being made anymore... 2014/07/28 14:22:21 (permalink)
SteveStrummerUK

I'd really like to listen to some of this stuff

You would?

I'd rather be immersed in a vat of leech-infested sulphuric acid, atop a mutant ant hill, whilst having Wagner's Ring Cycle singing rodeo midgets crammed up my arse.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
craigb
Re: Wow...no new good music being made anymore... 2014/07/28 22:30:43 (permalink)
Reminds me of that Mark Twain quote "Wagner's music is better than it sounds." 

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1