stuck on how to do a simply select/edit/copy/paste instruction; how?

Author
anvanho
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 32
2014/07/20 09:44:27 (permalink)

stuck on how to do a simply select/edit/copy/paste instruction; how?

Probably some simply technique I'm missing .. but if anyone can suggest the correct method, greatly appreciated:

Sonar Home Studio 4 XL 4.0.1
Windows 7 Professional

Lots of ram, HD space, and coffee ...

I am simply trying to copy the midi velocity contour in one measure (it ramps upward) to another measure.
Used to have that "interpolation" editing thing in older Cakewalk versions, remember that?
But I have played around with all this clip pane stuff and cannot get it to copy the midi information.

If I select a region (one measure, for example) and attempt to do "copy", "clip automation" and "track/bus automation" are grayed out and I cannot select either (not even sure either one of those choices are what I want anyhow .. just trying them out)

Again, am simply trying to select/copy the velocity ramp in say, measure 4, and then going to measure 5, and selecting/pasting the velocity ramp there. Is that possible? (In MIDI, by the way, not an AUDIO clip)

Thanks so much for any comments.

I've had Sonar for a while, but have only used it mainly to play into/onto .. not done much editing with it, so some of this stuff is still foreign ... even went out and bought that big fat 600-page "SONAR 4 POWER !" tutorial book by Scott R. Garrigus. (Gee, you could wedge that thing under the front tire of you SUV on a steep hill to keep it from rolling) .. such a hefty book; anyhow the book didn't resolve this inquiry for me either.

6 Replies Related Threads

Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: stuck on how to do a simply select/edit/copy/paste instruction; how? 2014/07/20 09:53:22 (permalink)
    But keep reading the book. It will help.

Scott has some great books. Almost all of us have read the whole thing at one time. And we all still use it as a reference manual.

But. I don't know how to help out here. But Scott may see this and give you a suggestion. He's real good about doing that. If he doesn't show here, go to his web site and check the forums there.

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    anvanho
    Re: stuck on how to do a simply select/edit/copy/paste instruction; how? 2014/07/21 08:40:47 (permalink)
    Thanks for that reply Grem.

Well, I think I may have managed a work-around ... a solution of sorts, but this may be of little help to others. (unless they have Finale 2012). I have Finale 2012, and if I import the MIDI file into Finale (it first converts it into a *.mus file) but it then does permit some MIDI editing now in their "MIDI Tool" menu, and it looks possible to streamline a command to select/copy/paste velocities from one measure to another measure(s) ... and then I can save, and re-import back into Sonar.

By the way, on both of my computers (one is a Windows Vista Home Premium and the other is Windows 7 Professional), neither of them allow me to open up the "help" tab for a variety of topics inside Sonar; including "MIDI Event Filter" which I am trying to investigate a  possible alternate approach, but all I can do is tinker around with settings ... how can I open the "help" tab on that option? That computer keeps telling me "not available".

Thanks!
    57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: stuck on how to do a simply select/edit/copy/paste instruction; how? 2014/07/21 11:21:52 (permalink)
    On SONAR Home Studio 6, those options were also grayed out, but the velocities I drew in the Controller Pane still copied along with the notes.
    Furthermore, I converted the clip to a Groove Loop and dragged the clip out, the velocities also were reproduced as I drew them.
    I may be confused; are you trying to copy just the velocity and not notes?

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    anvanho
    Re: stuck on how to do a simply select/edit/copy/paste instruction; how? 2014/07/21 11:46:49 (permalink)
    Yes, just the velocity not the notes (well, the velocity contour) ... for example a measure with, say 8 notes ... and if I manually (by drawing or individual note editing) graduate the velocity slope on those 8 notes from low-to-high, then how do I copy/paste that "graduated velocity slope" to the next measure of 8 notes (8 different notes though)?
    Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: stuck on how to do a simply select/edit/copy/paste instruction; how? 2014/07/22 10:44:26 (permalink)
    I am surprised Scott G. hasn't shown up. He usually does. Have you tried emailing him? or going to his website and asking in the forums over there?

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    57Gregy
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: stuck on how to do a simply select/edit/copy/paste instruction; how? 2014/07/22 22:57:29 (permalink)
    I think I did what you want to do, but I wasn't really paying attention. Just clicking buttons, so I'll try to recreate it and keep track of how I did it.
    Anyway, I created a MIDI velocity envelope in a clip and copied that envelope to another clip. It worked.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1