[Solved] Guitar Rig 5 Pro can't see some of my presets in VST Serious Wierdness

Author
orangesporanges
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 342
2014/07/22 16:38:25 (permalink)

[Solved] Guitar Rig 5 Pro can't see some of my presets in VST Serious Wierdness

I recently upgraded to Guitar Rig 5 Pro. It loads into Sonar, has all of my user presets that are in the standalone version, but they don't load up. I mean I see them there, the interface looks the same, I click on them and nothing happens. The standalone works fine. The presets that were saved before I upgraded work, the factory presets AND the presets I make within the VST environment work, so huh?? Either this is a shared directory or a unique one to the VST and standalone, not kinda both! and like I said, they appear to be there I found the preset files and everything. They show up in the VST interface, they just don't do anything. I'm tempted to just reinstall the whole thing from scratch, but am I gonna lose everything then? I know this is probably more of an NI question than a Sonar one, but you guys always seem to have experience with the same issues I encounter and always have a solution. This one confounds me. anyone run into something like this? I already have logged a ticket with NI support, but they are half a world away, so the wheels of progress turn slowly across time zones.

6 Replies Related Threads

robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Guitar Rig 5 Pro can't see some of my presets in VST Serious Wierdness 2014/07/22 19:47:07 (permalink)
    What version of Guitar Rig were these presets made in?

Also, what precise version number is the Guitar Rig 5 that you are now running?

Edited - The current version seems to be 5.2.0, released Oct 28, 2013.  I looked through the earlier updates to it, and this newest one indicates some vague generic fixes to things, so maybe something there is a fix for your issue - as a guess.  The prior update versions don't seem to indicate any specific fix for that issue, by the way, so I am hoping 5.2.0 is a miracle worker for you.

Where are these presets found, on your system?  (What path?)

Thanks, 

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    robert_e_bone
    Re: Guitar Rig 5 Pro can't see some of my presets in VST Serious Wierdness 2014/07/22 20:01:35 (permalink)
    Also, I found this link on the Native Instruments site:

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/support/knowledge-base/show/777/how-to-import-presets-or-banks-into-guitar-rig-5-pro/

Don't know if that applies or not - according to the text, if all of the components of an older preset are not present, it will not work.

Bob Bone

Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    orangesporanges
    Re: Guitar Rig 5 Pro can't see some of my presets in VST Serious Wierdness 2014/07/23 15:53:00 (permalink)
    I have 5.2.0. I just upgraded it from the version that came with my KOMPLETE6 Audio Interface (which is great btw).
    I did discover something. The VST seems to take it's presets from a folder in My Documents.(no idea why, unless I did something stupid, I never would have looked there) The standalone seems to draw from a programs / common files location. But, like I said, the user preset names are THERE, in the VST version. The user presets are THERE in both directories, the user presets just don't work in the VST side unless I make them there. If they were missing from one of the directories , I could say," AHAA! I know what's going on", but that isn't the case, which is what confounds me.  I found a regedit solution in their knowledge base. I am going to first try importing all the files from the standalone's directory into he VST, per your link. That is kind of a pain to manage them that way, but it beats creating them twice. Then I will try deleting a line in the registry and make it go look again ,as per the directions they describe. If that doesn't work, I am going to uninstall/reinstall the whole thing. At this point, spending too much time trying to fix this is more of a mental exercise than a practical measure. I want to play guitar, with all the cool amps and toys, not program my computer : ). I love Guitar Rig's basic concept, sounds and interface, it just sucks if I make a preset in the standalone version and can't use it on a track 'cuz the VST side can't read it. I'll post back with progress, and thanks for helping. Maybe your import solution will work, it's worth a try before I scrub the whole thing and start over.

Tim
    orangesporanges
    Re: Guitar Rig 5 Pro can't see some of my presets in VST Serious Wierdness 2014/07/23 16:05:19 (permalink)
    Don't know if that applies or not - according to the text, if all of the components of an older preset are not present, it will not work.
     Oh, yeah, I've run into that issue a long time ago. If the amp isn't there, it can't load the preset. I tried a demo version with all of the amps. When it expired those presets wouldn't work (makes sense). However the couple I did have "reappeared" when I upgraded.
    That seems to be part of the problem with NI. They present so many different versions, with subtle variations, it becomes difficult to get the puzzle to fit together. They need to make their installs a little more intuitive (like making both standalone and VST read the presets from the same directory.
    Tim 
    robert_e_bone
    Re: Guitar Rig 5 Pro can't see some of my presets in VST Serious Wierdness 2014/07/23 17:50:28 (permalink)
    I have used Guitar Rig since GR 3, and have not seen or heard of this issue before, so I am looking forward to you posting the results of your import of the presets, I am rooting for you.

I can't for the life of me figure out why if it can see them, and they work in that release version of GR 5, that they wouldn't play.

A confused Bob Bone

orangesporanges
    Re: Guitar Rig 5 Pro can't see some of my presets in VST Serious Wierdness 2014/07/23 21:27:27 (permalink)
    Solved. Reinstalled right over the old install, this time using cakewalk's VST folder as destination(NI installer does a great job of cleaning stuff up when it reinstalls). I honestly could have grabbed that .dll and just drug it into Sonar's VST folder. What was throwing me for a loop was the fact that Sonar found it, so I'm thinking "hmm, must not be that big of a deal" . I still don't get why it works, but it does! The same presets are there and everything, except now they load. Must have something to do with them not being able to retrieve all the data once they are inside the Sonar environment unless Sonar sees the path  to redirect.
    thanks for hangin' in there with me.
    Tim
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1