Songs revised (MAYBE REVIVED) Using Melodyne

Author
cpkoch
Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 345
2014/07/18 12:16:42 (permalink)

Songs revised (MAYBE REVIVED) Using Melodyne

I have undertaken a project to sing, record, produce and post on http://www.YouTube.com/user/cpkoch the top 100 tunes from the decades of the 50's and 60's ... at least one a week for all two-hundred tunes. Several of the songs are ones that I personally am not all that fond of but in order to be true to my objective I must do them.

Two such songs ...  
fall into that category ... at least they did fall into it.  

After doing some more experimenting with Multi-track stuff I now consider them to be, if not my favorites, at least ones that I had the most fun doing ... and I kinda like the results.  I am putting them out here for any thoughtful comments. I am also seeking ways to increase my channel's viewership.  If you have some hot ideas concerning how to do that, I would certainly welcome them.  
post edited by cpkoch - 2014/07/19 12:49:48

Sonar Platinum, HP Z210 Desktop PC,  Windows 10  64 Bit, 12  GB RAM,  Steinberg UR22 Interface Unit,  M-Audio Keyboard Studio USB MIDI Keyboard, APEX-TK -Condenser Unidirectional MIC, Audio Technica AT2020 USB MIC

6 Replies Related Threads

RussjWhite
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 511
    Re: Songs revised (MAYBE REVIVED) Using Melodyne 2014/07/22 18:24:23 (permalink)
    Well, To be honest I'm not sure where to start. Perhaps the vocals. I'm not sure what you are trying to achieve, you can sing, But your messing with melodyne makes the vox sound like a dalek. So I'd say google some vids on how to use the program or don't use it for now. I feel that because of the strange vocal fxs you have going, their frequencies are causing phase issues with the rest of the music, which make the music shimmy in an unpleasant way.

It's cool to set yourself challenges, but at this stage I'd work on one or two tunes and get them right. A great book for mixing is http://www.cambridge-mt.com/MixingSecrets.htm . I would recommend any one wanting to learn to mix to study it.

I don't mean to be harsh and be down on your vision. But I feel you are trying to run before you can walk. Start small and expand every time you learn something. Study hard and play hard.

Gus

BL Cakewalk 
    ATHM50 Cans
    VRM Box
    East West
    cpkoch
    Re: Songs revised (MAYBE REVIVED) Using Melodyne 2014/07/22 20:43:44 (permalink)
    I responded to your later remark  ... the one that suggested you  agreed with Mark.  Once again I appreciate your feedback.  It's exactly the kind I am looking for.    

Sonar Platinum, HP Z210 Desktop PC,  Windows 10  64 Bit, 12  GB RAM,  Steinberg UR22 Interface Unit,  M-Audio Keyboard Studio USB MIDI Keyboard, APEX-TK -Condenser Unidirectional MIC, Audio Technica AT2020 USB MIC

The Maillard Reaction
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 31918
    Re: Songs revised (MAYBE REVIVED) Using Melodyne 2014/07/22 21:03:03 (permalink)
    I think you have a great sounding natural voice. I also enjoy it when you sing stylistically after the manner of well known singers.

The Melodyne harmony tricks sound like you do not appreciate how nice a voice you have. If you were at my place I would discourage you from doing anything that distracted listeners from focusing on your wonderful solo vocal tone.

Keep at it!

best regards,
    mike

edit spelling and grammar 
    post edited by mike_mccue - 2014/07/23 09:22:22

cpkoch
    Re: Songs revised (MAYBE REVIVED) Using Melodyne 2014/07/23 00:29:09 (permalink)
    Thanks Mike.  

As to Melodyne  harmony tricks ... after giving it thought,  I have to say I am a technologist at heart ... maybe not a developer of technology; but, as one who appreciates it and gets a kick out of what can be accomplished using it.    Before getting Sonar X3 in February 2014 I had no idea what power lay in the world of music production technology. Melodyne was one thing that really captured my interest.  I had never even thought about one's being able to do pitch correction. Lo and behold, Melodyne produced that capability.  Consequently, after having watched promotional videos suggesting that harmonization could be done, I thought I'd  try  it.  

I realize that a lot of learning is yet to be embedded into my brain; but, I have nothing much to lose trying-out whatever comes along.  So I did my thing using Melodyne on tunes that (arguably)  were not all that important.  I may go back and re-do either or both Wayward Wind and Green Door using pure vocal as you and others suggest (and tight underwear to reach the higher notes

Strangely, the Melodyne created Multi-track I did on Love is A Many Spendored Thing  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TnRG3ywHTZM  just passed  Always on My Mind https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AczrMkqn59Q in terms of the number of views racked up ... not that the number is all that high.   Nevertheless comments similar to yours were posted on this forum suggesting that Melodyne inserts too much artificiality.  If someone can tell me whether or not one can create artifact-free vocals using Melodyne I would welcome comments.  If artifacts are just a way of life in Melodyne (as I am beginning to believe) then maybe I am placing too much of my stock of confidence in it! 

Again ... thanks Mike for your comments.  They are really valued.

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Songs revised (MAYBE REVIVED) Using Melodyne 2014/07/23 09:28:53 (permalink)
    If you are new to all of this technology, it's understandable that you are in the "kid in the candy store" phase right now. You mentioned above just getting X3 in Feb having no idea what is available in it's range of possibilities.

Yes, the advice to learn to walk first before attempting to run and setting goals of recording dozens or hundreds of songs, while noble, may be a bit premature. 200 tunes recorded is a bunch of work.

Certainly, start recording and learn but take it a step at a time and remember these  mottos
    less is more
    keep it simple
    add nothing that adds nothing
    have fun

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Rimshot
    Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4625
    Re: Songs revised (MAYBE REVIVED) Using Melodyne 2014/07/23 09:54:00 (permalink)
    I liked Westward Wind.  You captured it well.  You still have pitch issues on the lead vocal to check out.  
    I like the backing tracks.

The Green Door vocal harmony is grating.  Couldn't finish listening.

I like what you are doing.  You don't need Melodyne for all notes or all parts.  I am sure your own voice can harmonize very nicely.  Then just fix those notes that are out.  

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
    , OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1