MOTU introduces some cool new Thunderbolt stuff. What about Windows?

Author
The Maillard Reaction
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31918
2014/07/25 21:00:25 (permalink)

MOTU introduces some cool new Thunderbolt stuff. What about Windows?

I'm trying hard to minimize my latency in my personal system.

I've got a firewire MOTU system and the latnecy is just a bit more than I would like so I am thinking about going to the PCI-E MOTU 24 I/O but it has a reputation for using yesterdays news converters. I am considering the 24 I/O because I called up MOTU and spoke with them about 2 weeks ago and was surprised when I was told the top of the line HD192 was being phased out but the 24 I/O was going to remain in the line up.

Today I learned about the introduction of MOTU's latest Thunderbolt stuff and I got pretty excited, but I can't find any info about drivers and OS compatibility.

I'm also wondering; Are there any good PCI-e Thunderbolt cards for Windows 7 users?

Thanks for any inof you can share.

5 Replies Related Threads

Sycraft
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 871
    Re: MOTU introduces some cool new Thunderbolt stuff. What about Windows? 2014/07/26 00:44:09 (permalink)
    Before you jump on MOTU with Thunderbolt, confirm with them it'll work. MOTU is a little Mactarded. They definitely seem to like and support Apple more, especially historically. So you don't want to jump on a card, only to find out that it can't do TB on Windows, only on Mac.

In terms of cards, not many. The problem is that in part due to Apple's funding/requests Thunderbolt is tied to display. It is displayport multiplexed in with PCIe. That means you need DP for it, even if you aren't using it for video. Silly, and part of what has hurt adoption.

You can get some boards that have it built in, like Intel's high end DZ87KLT-75K. ASUS has a Thunderbolt card, but it looks like it only works with their motherboards.

Right now it is kinda an Apple only thing. Not because you can't get it in PCs, but because nobody cares so there's little support.

If you are sold on a PCIe bus card for the lowest latency, you could look at RME's HDSPe MADI or HDSPe MADI FX. You'd then need a converter box, of course. Not a cheap option, but should be real low latency, nto to mention extremely flexible.
    Sycraft
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 871
    Re: MOTU introduces some cool new Thunderbolt stuff. What about Windows? 2014/07/26 00:44:12 (permalink)
    Double post.
    jayson
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 367
    Re: MOTU introduces some cool new Thunderbolt stuff. What about Windows? 2014/07/26 01:04:45 (permalink)
    On MOTU's site under the Tech Specs page it says Windows support coming soon.  I wonder how soon "soon" is?

Windows System Requirements*
  • * Windows support is coming soon…
  • 1 GHz Pentium-based PC compatible or faster
  • 2 GB RAM; 4 GB or more recommended
  • Windows 8 or later
  • Available Thunderbolt or high-speed USB 2.0 port
  • A large hard drive (at least 500 GB for recording)Cheers,

jayson
    The Maillard Reaction
    Re: MOTU introduces some cool new Thunderbolt stuff. What about Windows? 2014/07/26 06:43:56 (permalink)
    Thank's Jayson, I didn't see the tech specs area for that unit.

Windows driver coming soon and Windows 8 only? Bummer. I remember how disappointed I was when, after buying 3 MOTU firewire rigs, the MOTU firewire daisy chain never actually worked. I guess I shouldn't get too excited about waiting for Thunderbolt and AVB.

I guess there are never going to do it, but I sure wish they would update the 24 I/O as the all analog format and the 424 PCI-E card seems very attractive to me.

The Maillard Reaction
    Re: MOTU introduces some cool new Thunderbolt stuff. What about Windows? 2014/07/26 06:58:27 (permalink)
    Sycraft
    If you are sold on a PCIe bus card for the lowest latency, you could look at RME's HDSPe MADI or HDSPe MADI FX. You'd then need a converter box, of course. Not a cheap option, but should be real low latency, nto to mention extremely flexible.

When ever I look at the RME MADI stuff I walk away thinking that it would be cool, if I already happened to own a $40k console that happened to have MADI on it.

If RME happened to have an affordable 24 analog in converter to go with the MADI i might get more interested. The $5k M-32 IN seems pretty cool but I'd end up with a $9k package before it's done.

I have yet to find a 16, 24, or 32 IN channel all analog package with a few built in OUTs, all running off a internal clock that makes affordable sense for me to go MADI.

The LYNX 16 runs great without MADI and it's affordable and has a internal clock... but it's only 16 channels.

The Antelope Orion is 32 channells on an internal clock but it has a minimum sample buffer size of 128 and if you want low latency they advise you to record at 192 kHz.

The BURL mothership seems kind of cool but I think I priced it once and I got to a $12k package very quickly.

The rest of the stuff seems to take you down the road of having to use a bunch of wires to clock everything together and then you can spend the rest of your life wondering if your clocking is as good as it can be.

I know my specific interest of having 24-32 analog in all on one system is rather "niche" but it seems like in 2014 the technology is there.

The 24 I/0 is a great form factor but as I say it has a reputation for leaving people wishing they had the latest technology inside it.

I was about to snap and buy the MOTU HD192 system as the form factor is very close to ideal for me, (If I gnore the reputation for the cooling fan going berserk) but the guy at MOTU tells me, quote: "We do not support the MOTU 192HD anymore" and I say "But it still sells new at full price..." and he says, "Yes, we do not support the MOTU 192HD anymore"

The Antelope is a great form factor but it doesn't seem to have a great driver and the warranty of only 1 year and a potential trip to Bulgaria for service has me in a holding pattern on that one.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1