Helpful ReplyEaseus Todo Backup Free WARNING!

Author
JohnKenn
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1659
2014/07/25 13:15:50 (permalink)

Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING!

Should not complain about a free product, but this is unethical at very least. Might have been warned somewhere in the fine print but didn't see any catches.

Beware Easeus Todo Free backup and recovery software. The new improved version has some not so good surprises you don’t want to find out when you need it.

I’ve used Todo for years and have been saved from several disc failures and crashes thru ver 4 and 5.
Now have ver 6 installed and have my drives cloned in case of disaster.

Beside the new annoying popups to buy the better stuff and the cloning going forward sometimes without a restart (was a flag), everything worked well.

Last night, my win 8.1 went down and I went for Todo. It started in the same manner and then a popup that cloning from an external disc is now only supported with the paid version. You can do a flawed job of cloning TO a disc, but can’t use the free version to recover from the disc any more. They give you the website hyperlink to start paying, now that they screwed you and you are in a vulnerable position.

I was able to use an Acronis boot disc which got me running, but could not recover maybe 10% of what it saw as corrupted files cloned by Todo. Don’t know if they’ve crippled the new improved Todo boot disc.

Have not tried the Win 8 cloning tool, which is supposed to work. Antbody tried this?

Will probably get Acronis paid up for an upgrade. I know the cloning softwares are continually improving.

What are folks using that seems to work rock solid for a complete disc clone.  Thanks.

John
musicroom
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2421
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2014/07/25 14:04:37 (permalink)
Wow - that is pitiful! Sorry!

Dave
Songs

jatoth
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 363
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2014/07/25 17:45:18 (permalink)
+1 for Acronis TrueImage 2014 Premium. Go for the "Premium" version. It has a feature called universal restore, which can restore a disk image to a different computer. A great feature if you have to replace the motherboard, or upgrade to a newer processor. Images to almost any media, NAS, FTP, cloud.

Just my $.02

John

X3e Producer, Sonar Platinum, Sweetwater CreationStation i5 3.1gHz, 12 GB RAM, 500GB SSD OS drive, 1TB SSD audio drive, 1TB archive/misc drive, dual 22" monitors, Windows 7x64, SaffirePro40 (firewire), MOTU MIDI Express XT, Behringer BCF2000, dbx 586, Samson Servo 120a, Yamaha HS80M, Auratone 5c Cubes, Sennheiser HD650, Sony MDR 7509HD, Sony MDR 7506, Kurzweil K2500XS, Roland XP-30, Proteus 2000.
JohnKenn
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2014/07/25 22:20:47 (permalink)
John,

Appreciate the reference to Acronis premium.

Acronis has always been good, and installation to dissimilar hardware is a plus. Will look at the premium edition. I had let them go once they started online activation and one license, one computer.

I found a PC mag review on the best backups. ShadowProtect Desktop at $89 came in as “the absolute gold standard” Don't know anything about it.

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2278661,00.asp

Among the freebies, there was this link. AOMEI Backupper looks interesting.

http://www.techradar.com/us/news/software/applications/best-free-backup-software-11-programs-we-recommend-1137924

Not going to absolutely dump Easeus because their Partition Master is awesome. Haven't found any problems in the new and improved version yet, except for the damn popups.

John
ShellstaX
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 502
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2014/07/26 06:11:19 (permalink)
I use Macrium Reflect (free edition). Whilst I haven't had to restore a Win8 image, it has certainly done the job on previous versions and I have no doubt it'd do the job well (having secured a Macrium backup first of course). It can do selective restores and you can burn either Linux or WinPE boot disk.

Yes, the free edition is likely only full restore back to same configuration (e.g, same PC, new drive), but I fully expect you'd be able to mount the backup set to another computer for retrieval of selected files.

They have paid options too for e.g, incrementals, passwords, encryption and no doubt similar to Acronis.

[Update]: Edition feature comparison clear from the link.
[Update]: Pro Edition includes 'Restore to dissimilar hardware' - $58.99 minus 20% (=$48) coupon via RetailMeNot (valid til 8/2/2014)
post edited by ShellstaX - 2014/07/26 08:22:15
ShellstaX
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2014/07/26 08:09:23 (permalink)
I just saw this ...

Acronis True Image 2014 with free updates (40% discount)
$29.99 (instead of $49.99)
http://sharewareonsale.com/s/acronis-true-image-sale

- This is a 1-computer lifetime license, for home + business use. (Not Premium Edition - comparison here).
- Includes free 5GB of online storage for Acronis Cloud for one year, if you want the use the optional cloud storage option of Acronis True Image 2014.

vintagevibe
Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2446
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2014/07/26 10:54:04 (permalink)
When they say "one computer" they mean only one.  You can't transfer it when you get a new computer.  I quit Acronis and started using Paragon Free.

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/br-free/download.html

JohnKenn
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2014/07/26 11:33:39 (permalink)
Guys,

Thanks for the leads and feedback. Downloaded Macrium and it seems to be solid. Paragon also.

Have had emails from Acronis for months about a $29 upgrade for my 2012 version. Now that they're offering the full version for $29 and free minor upgrades, must mean that 2015 is around the corner. Ouch...didn't know you couldn't migrate an Acronis license. The boot disc at least works well.
JohnKenn
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2014/07/26 21:02:49 (permalink)
Nine hours into a disc clone which includes 500 GB discographies. Almost complete. Macrium doing a hell of a good job so far. Boot disc grinds away way longer than Acronis, but ultimately delivers.

Really appreciate and respect the advice given here.

John
ShellstaX
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2014/07/26 23:11:49 (permalink)
Nice one. Dunno how much compression has to do with restore times(?). I do know that compression (size) vs time (speed) is configurable on backup.
JohnKenn
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2014/07/27 14:52:02 (permalink)
Update on this (Todo backup)

I tried an experiment with an old XP computer and Todo 6.5 allows a clone from the external HD. Maybe only crippled for Win 8.  Don't know about Win 7 and not wanting to risk messing anything up trying.

John
ShellstaX
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2014/07/27 18:35:46 (permalink)
Obviously too ... for external transfer, network speed/latency or USB3 vs 2 vs 1 will have a large bearing on completion times.
Serious_Noize!
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2014/07/31 11:41:56 (permalink)
JohnKenn
Should not complain about a free product, but this is unethical at very least. Might have been warned somewhere in the fine print but didn't see any catches.

Beware Easeus Todo Free backup and recovery software. The new improved version has some not so good surprises you don’t want to find out when you need it.

I’ve used Todo for years and have been saved from several disc failures and crashes thru ver 4 and 5.
Now have ver 6 installed and have my drives cloned in case of disaster.

Beside the new annoying popups to buy the better stuff and the cloning going forward sometimes without a restart (was a flag), everything worked well.

Last night, my win 8.1 went down and I went for Todo. It started in the same manner and then a popup that cloning from an external disc is now only supported with the paid version. You can do a flawed job of cloning TO a disc, but can’t use the free version to recover from the disc any more. They give you the website hyperlink to start paying, now that they screwed you and you are in a vulnerable position.

I was able to use an Acronis boot disc which got me running, but could not recover maybe 10% of what it saw as corrupted files cloned by Todo. Don’t know if they’ve crippled the new improved Todo boot disc.

Have not tried the Win 8 cloning tool, which is supposed to work. Antbody tried this?

Will probably get Acronis paid up for an upgrade. I know the cloning softwares are continually improving.

What are folks using that seems to work rock solid for a complete disc clone.  Thanks.

John

Sorry to hear you are having problems John. I just got a new computer with Windows 8.1 on it, I tried TODO Backup pro and honestly I wasn't that impressed by it.  

I found a promotional giveaway if you or anyone are interested where you can get AOMEI Backerupper Pro right now for free until August 5th from the link below. It's what I have started using and so far so good. I like the fact that it lets you create recovery methods using either a USB stick or Disc. I've been using it for a week or so now and so far so good, I did use it to do a full backup and recovery just to test it out when I first tried it and had no problems. I backup to an external hard drive.   

Just thought I would mention this in case it might be helpful. This is the promotional giveaway link :

http://www.backup-utility.com/giveaway/cnet.html

Here's a link with information about what the program does : 

http://www.backup-utility.com/professional.html
JohnKenn
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2014/07/31 23:03:58 (permalink)
Hey Serious,

Was looking for the AOMEI program and all the links were dead. Other products from the guys available but not the backup. Now they got the pro version free for a short window of time.

Many thanks for the link, and to others who have helped me wade through this mess. Good to get your feedback on the Todo pro version as well.

John
Serious_Noize!
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 950
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2014/08/01 00:27:06 (permalink)
JohnKenn
Hey Serious,

Was looking for the AOMEI program and all the links were dead. Other products from the guys available but not the backup. Now they got the pro version free for a short window of time.

Many thanks for the link, and to others who have helped me wade through this mess. Good to get your feedback on the Todo pro version as well.

John

Something I should have mentioned John, they had a TODO PRO backup promotional giveaway a week or so ago and that's what I tried, but it didn't seem to have no incremental backup feature. To me that is important because I like to make ONE COMPLETE BACKUP and then from time to time if something is important do an Incremental backup saving only the changes instead of having to do a completely new full backup. The AOMEI seems to have it all. Just remember, this promotional giveaway, if you update it then you might lose your freebie license. So check your settings and make sure auto update isn't turned on unless you want it to be.

Just thought I would mention that. One good thing about this AOMEI Backupper Pro is it allows you to make either a Windows or Linux Recovery software USB or DISC setup, so depending on what type of PC you are using you don't have to bother with that new PC Windows Boot security feature.

JohnKenn
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2014/08/02 01:21:48 (permalink)
Major education here...

Have only done one-time destructive backups to clone the hard drive every couple months or so. Never did nor understood the utility of incremental vs differential backups. Could have saved myself a lot of temporal grief. Looks like the AEOMI program pro offering does differential and incremental backups

Still learning if only at a vegetable level.

John
JohnKenn
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2014/08/02 19:26:28 (permalink)
Gentlemen,

Could I pick some good brains amonst us.

I've been a bottom feeder on the backup front, and have just cloned discs. Has saved me several times.

Now looking at incremental and differential backups from images.

Reading thru the tutorials from Todo and AEOMI. Both come to opposite conclusions. AEOMI says the most stable and reliable backup is incremental. Todo says differential is the safest way to go.

Virgin paranoia turning over my hard core bit per bit clone to an image.

Was seeking advice about the reliability of an image versus clone in event of a meltdown needing BIOS boot, and what is happening with incremental versus differential backups.

Thanks in advance. Seems like even the experts can't agree.

John

Noted that Todo and Macrium do not allow differential/incremental backups in the free versions. AEOMI does, for what it is worth.
Bajan Blue
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2029
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2014/08/03 09:44:05 (permalink)
John
can only help so much - I use Acronis True image on all my systems - I do a full back up and then incremental - i think its set for 6 - 8 incremental back ups, then it does a full back up again - so far I've never had an issue with this regime in all the time I've been using Acronis, which I think is about 6 years now - I changed from a free back up program (can't remember the name) which seemed Ok, but one day I had a major crash and it didn't work properly and all was lost - so since then I have shied away from free back up programs as the grief this cost me (time and frustration mainly but grief all the same!!) I thought wasn't worth the small price of buying a decent proven product - and Acronis is not that expensive - I purchased a multi license package, 6 or 8 licenses I think it was, and this cost me around $75 at the time.
I have used Acronis for recovery, that worked well and I recently purchased a new Computer for my  studio in Cape Town - I cloned my system here in Barbados, took a USb external drive to Cape Town with me and gave it to my friend who was building the new system and he basically just copied this onto a new system, so I ended up with an exact copy - all I had to do was register a few programs etc - this was also where I realized what an advantage having iLoks can be!!!! 
Hope this helps
Nigel

Nigel
Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
www.devinelie.com

JohnKenn
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2014/08/03 11:39:41 (permalink)
Thanks Nigel,

This does help and looking back, amplifies what Serious recommended. Had downloaded the AEOMI Pro and it does incremental backups as well. Keeping Acronis on the one computer I have the old 2012 license for. Acronis is a great program. Like you said, cheap is great until something goes down and you find it doesn't work.

Cape Town... Must be a blessing to be near tropical waters.

John
Bajan Blue
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2029
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2014/08/03 11:45:28 (permalink)
john
Cape town's not tropical and the water is freezing as it comes straight up from the Antarctic!!!
Great beaches but freezing water unfortunately....also full of very large, hungry sharks!!!!
Now Barbados is tropical and I'm just off down the beach for a swim as we speak!
Cheers
Nigel

Nigel
Check out the first single from our new Album, On Top of the World
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTLVCOeTcTc

Check out our latest videos on
http://www.youtube.com/user/DevineLie/videos

Check out our website
www.devinelie.com

ShellstaX
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2014/08/03 13:03:03 (permalink)
Guys - to explain a little further - it goes something like this ...

Fulls, Incrementals and Differentials are part of your backup strategy.

Full - Backs up everything, takes longest, takes more space ... are the basis of any full restore.
(lets say you take a Full every Saturday).

Incremental - Only backs up files changed since the last backup (be it Full, Incremental or Differential), fastest, takes least space.
(let's say you take an Incremental every day from Sunday to Friday (instead of Differentials): S-I, M-I, T-I, W-I, T-I, F-I, S-F)
- quickest to restore in a partial restore (to recover files to a particular day of that week)
- slowest to restore in a full restore (as you have to restore the last Full and every Incremtental on top)

Differential - Seeks a middle ground as cumulative back ups of files changed since the last Full backup, mid-fast speed, low-mid space (getting larger as the week goes on).
(let's say you take a Differential every day from Sunday to Friday (instead of Incrementals): S-D, M-D, T-D, W-D, T-D, F-D, S-F)
- slightly slower to restore in a partial restore (to recover files to a particular day of that week)
- faster to restore in a full restore (because you only ever need 2 backups - the Full and the last differential (of the day you want to restore to)).

Or you could do a Full Saturday, Differential mid-week and Incrementals every other day: S-I, M-I, T-I, W-D, T-I, F-I, S-F

post edited by ShellstaX - 2014/08/03 13:06:09
JohnKenn
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2014/08/03 17:50:13 (permalink)
Shell,

Thanks also for your knowledge. The technology only slowly becoming clear to me with you guys' assistance. Trying out a forced incremental retrieval on a computer with AOMEI Pro. Computer can fry to dust and not be a loss if I forked something up beyond salvage.

Got to also learn my geography...  Cape Town tropical??  Can't laugh any more at the US geography high school students who said Russia was the capital of Alabama. Even more dismal for me since I lived in Africa long time since.

Water out here on the central Oregon coast also quite cold. The pull of the sea in Africa was so much that I had to swim in spite of the sharks and did so daily with a couple close calls. If I went out with another pale face, the natives gathered, couple hundred or so to wager bets on who would get eaten first. They chanted and cheered us on, which on the surface was undersatood as "Brave white men unafraid of the great white shark". Was helped with a translation of the chant which was something close to "Insane idiots with no respect for your own life"

Have been hanging out on a volcanic basalt cliff for a bunch of years over the ragged Pacific. View is incredible glorious, but have never been able to swim. Without a thermal wet suit, you have less than 10 minutes until you die, if the initial cold shock doesn't take you out sooner.

John

davidrousseau
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 8
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2015/07/01 04:07:06 (permalink)
I'll complain, although this is an old issue, I paid for the pro version, and tried to do a backup. They disabled functionality saying it's installed on another computer. Emailed Friday and no word back. I installed some trial versions on another machine. I'm not buying their software anymore. I also have Acronis Premium, so Ease TODO is on my list of software companies I was honest enough to pay, but rip me off. Stay away from these guys
JohnKenn
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2015/07/02 17:00:51 (permalink)
David,

I settled in with Acronis also. For general info to everyone, they do an online activation, but are prone to 3 computer activation sales around the holidays. Excellent investment and probably the best recovery bootable disc creation in the industry. (Note however that the trial boot disc is crippled as bad as Todo)

Have purged the Todo scam off all computers, but have retained one Todo freeware program that isn't spring loaded with death threats and still worth the download. That's their Partition Master program.

http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html

Note also that Acronis is now shipping with the companion Disc Director, which does everything Partition Master does and more. Glad they incorporated the program, and probably because they had to keep up with Todo on this front.

http://www.acronis.com/

John
JohnKenn
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2015/07/08 19:21:29 (permalink)
Just ran into something to pass on. May be system specific, so who knows...

Tried to rename some partitions on an external hard drive with Acronis Disc Director.
Acronis did not recognize the drive. Todo did.

Observation before was that Acronis was getting into the game of disc and partition management, and the new product was a clone of Todo Partition Master. Trying to catch up (?)

Would never buy anything from Todo with their policies, but have leached the freeware Partition Master for years. Unfortunately, still seems to be the best. Beat out the Acronis contender.

http://www.easeus.com/partition-manager/epm-free.html

John

cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2015/07/08 19:36:34 (permalink)
I use this and it has been flawless...

http://www.disk-partition.com/free-partition-manager.html

and free!  It has worked with every operating system and continues to 
do so...cloning, resizing, renaming..etc...and I've changed my system 3
times and it keeps right on ticking...

JohnKenn
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2015/07/08 19:54:05 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby cclarry 2015/07/08 20:16:51
Hey thanks Larry,

AOMEI does quality programming by any standard Wasn't aware that they now have a partition manager. Downloading now.

John

edit...Can't spell AEOMI. AEROBIC, wharever it is
post edited by JohnKenn - 2015/07/08 20:02:41
cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2015/07/08 20:13:26 (permalink)
I'm thoroughly impressed with this program...

I owned both Easus and Todo...and both crapped out on me...

So I found this ...and it's been awesome...the best thing I've used
and easy peezy...I love it! ( its Win 10 compatible, but haven't used it 
on Win 10 yet, but I have run it and it runs just fine...just haven;t
done anything with it yet...so hopefully they continue their streak)

kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2015/07/09 10:17:31 (permalink)
I'm still using Acronis 2010. Still rock solid.
michaelbrook
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
Re: Easeus Todo Backup Free WARNING! 2017/10/10 03:21:40 (permalink)
Good,I agree with your theory. The Easeus and Bitwar recovery are all free,We must like it.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1