[Way OT] This is one reason why my passion for music is what it is...

Author
mettelus
Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5321
2014/07/26 10:20:07 (permalink)

[Way OT] This is one reason why my passion for music is what it is...

People who know me realize I am passionate about many things, but often do not know the "why." Music for me has never been a "job" or game of one-upmanship, but the sharing of a part of the soul which embodies us all... music can have an incredible therapeutic power even when no one is near to hear us play but ourselves.

I have seen this video several times, but someone just posted it again in an online class I am taking. It never loses its meaning for me... music is not about fame, recognition, or money... it is something common to all mankind with an incredible power to do things that fall into the realm of "act of God." If you have never seen this video (in fact, there are many such videos), it is worth the 6 minutes of your time: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw7Y78aqf_I

Ironically... one of the professors for this course specialized in "music as social interaction"... when I first heard this, my reaction was "wow... that is a good one!" The power of music runs significantly deeper than many realize...

My apologies for the WAY OT here... but wanted to share this.

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.

5 Replies Related Threads

emwhy
    Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1402
    Re: [Way OT] This is one reason why my passion for music is what it is... 2014/07/26 10:22:44 (permalink)
    Having done a lot of charity work for the local Alzheimer chapter, thank you for posting this!

cuitlahac
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 196
    Re: [Way OT] This is one reason why my passion for music is what it is... 2014/07/26 11:15:40 (permalink)
    Thanks!  A nice reminder of why we all love to do what we do.....

Dave-
    SONAR Platinum, +Producer 5,7,8.5,X1PE, X2, X3e,Win7 Pro 64bit, SoundForge 10, CD Architect, Izotope 7 Advanced & Insight Metering, RAIN ION rack PC, (Nehalem) Xeon(R) CPU @ 3.06Ghz, 6GB DDR3 Ram, 2 WD640GB SATA II 7200rpm HDD's, LaCie 300GB HDD , ATI Radeon 4650 graphics (1GB) running Dual Monitors, Antelope Orion 32 + MP32 Pre's, SSL Matrix 2 Hybrid Console, M-Audio Bx8a Monitors w/ Energy 90w-12" sub, Roland A-800 PRO, BOSS BR-1600 DRS, Shure KSMs, 85s, 57s, 58s, Shure PSM Monitor, Gibson guitars, Fender P Bass.
    cpkoch
    Max Output Level: -84 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 345
    Re: [Way OT] This is one reason why my passion for music is what it is... 2014/07/27 23:41:50 (permalink)
    mettelus
    I have seen this video several times, but someone just posted it again in an online class I am taking. It never loses its meaning for me... music is not about fame, recognition, or money...  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fw7Y78aqf_I

I saw the miracle as a result of a young fella (who had a middle name "ROCKNE") posting it as we were taking Intro to Music Production.  I must have mentioned it since to at least a dozen people including an occupational therapist who uses music as a therapeutic agent. Although medical technology and the understanding of genetics is a marvelous there remain some simple cures whose power to cure is almost incomprehensible!   

Sonar Platinum, HP Z210 Desktop PC,  Windows 10  64 Bit, 12  GB RAM,  Steinberg UR22 Interface Unit,  M-Audio Keyboard Studio USB MIDI Keyboard, APEX-TK -Condenser Unidirectional MIC, Audio Technica AT2020 USB MIC

sharke
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: [Way OT] This is one reason why my passion for music is what it is... 2014/07/27 23:56:35 (permalink)
    That was great!

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    Sidroe
    Max Output Level: -55.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1954
    Re: [Way OT] This is one reason why my passion for music is what it is... 2014/07/28 09:04:58 (permalink)
    I have always believed in the therapeutic value of music. My father was killed in the Korean War when I was 18 months old. Growing up, I was a very distraught and nervous child. Still am! My grandmother was the church pianist in those days. Anytime she saw me struggling with my nerves she would take my hand and lead me to the piano stool. There, sitting next to her, listening to that beautiful music, I found my reasoning. When I became old enough, whenever I had a problem whether it was homework or I didn't play ball well or the bully at school, I rushed to the piano just to bang around on it. It was better than Valium to me.
    It has since proved value again. My wife had chronic back pain from an injury. She had back surgery last year. I suggested listening to chants, native American flute music, whale song to help with her pain management and now she can't go to sleep without it. It is her drug of choice to turn to when she is really aching.
    It is such a shame that most of us have forgotten or never learned the value of listening to a wide and diverse sound library out there in the world.

Sonar Platinum, Sonar X3e, Sonar X2a , Sonar X1 Expanded and 8.5.3 (32 and 64 bit), Windows 10 on a Toshiba P75-A7200 Laptop with i7 @ 2.4 quad and 8 gigs of RAM and secondary WD 1 Tb drive, Windows 10 desktop, Asus i5 @ 3.2 quad, 12 gigs RAM, 1 Tb drive, 1 500 gig drive, MOTU 24io, 2 Roland Studio Captures, Saffire 6 USB for laptop, Soundtracs Topaz Project 8 mixer, Alesis Monitor 2s, Event BAS 20/20s, Roland Micro-Monitor BA-8s, and 45 years worth of collecting FX, Mics, Amps, Guitars, and Keyboards!
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1