Helpful ReplyDo they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months?

Author
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
2014/07/27 01:04:41 (permalink)

Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months?

Our second Vacuum Cleaner in 2 years just died on me.

Well, to be accurate, the first one didn't die, it just never worked as I'd expect a vacuum cleaner to work - I practically had to scrape the stuff off the floor with my hands to feed it. 

Funny because the reason I'd picked it was that it was a Shop-Vac/Heavy Duty type of thing, and those had always been the most reliable I'd worked with because you could throw anything at them. From memory anyway. 

But it didn't really work and we replaced it last year with one of those pretty expensive modern, upright thing.

The first few weeks, I was amazed at how well it worked. But that didn't last long and for the last 8 months, judging by the time it takes me to do the stairs, I'd say that it's become at least 4 times LESS efficient than it was out of the box.

And tonight, after 20 minutes of moving stuff on the carpet more than actually cleaning it up, it just died.

I remember in the 70s my grandparent had one of those:

You could have thrown that thing down the stairs, or outside of a moving car, you couldn't destroy it. Later when they sold their house, my parents inherited it. My father still had it last time I visited 15 years ago or so. I wouldn't be surprise if it were still working in 2014.

I just visited the manufacturer's web site - Electrolux... Seems that they too have succumbed to the charms of planned obsolescence as they now only offer fragile-looking plastic pieces of junk...

Too bad there isn't even an option to buy well-made, solid things such as these and everything's been replaced by flimsy plastic devices.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/27 01:55:49 (permalink)
I'm convinced that some stuff is manufactured to fail after a set amount of time, whether they do it by pre-stressing the parts or actually hard wiring it into chips. Many years ago my stepfather bought a new CD player for $100, a pretty well known brand which I can't remember now. It seemed great so a week later, I bought one for myself. Almost exactly 2 years later, the LCD display went off on his. You could still use it, but you couldn't see what you were doing with the controls. What a bummer, we thought. Well about a week later, the same thing happened to mine. It was as if from the moment we plugged them in and turned them on for the first time, a timer was initiated. 

I used to have a Marantz CD player from the early 80's. That thing was built like a tank and was virtually indestructible. It weighed a ton. 

But yeah most mass produced stuff today is utter crap. I've been through 3 Logitech mice in the past 3 years, all of which developed a phantom double click problem after a while. Looking around online, thousands of other people are reporting the same thing. It's been an issue for years. It's as if Logitech have designed them to develop this fault so that you'll buy a new one. Have to keep the punters making new purchases, otherwise they'll go out of business. 

Same thing with printers. I generally have them for a couple of years and then they just stop printing. Is it worth getting them repaired? Not when they only cost you $120. 

I have to buy a new Waterpik every couple of years because they start leaking at the nozzle. 

I've bought a couple of Air O Swiss humidifiers over the years and they have both developed a leak on the base after a while. Many others report the same. 

Pretty much the only things I have luck with are computers and audio gear. I had a DELL which served me 4 years without a single hitch and still works perfectly now. Of course the specs are outdated, which is why I bought a new rig, but what a machine otherwise! Same with most laptops I've had. With careful use they've worked great for years. If I wasn't such a greedy upgrade pig I could have probably kept them going for 10 years apiece. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/27 03:29:24 (permalink)
This forum software fails daily.

Oh wait, that's me not the software.
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/27 04:21:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2014/07/27 11:16:10
bapu
This forum software fails daily.

Oh wait, that's me not the software.

You thought you were planned adolescence but you turned out to be planned obsolescence? 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/27 05:52:48 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rain 2014/07/27 15:03:13
Old Electrolux vacs were the best.

Most home vacuums today are pretty much overpriced junk.

I don't buy into any of the "techy" garbage you see advertised on TV.

Keep far away from Kirby, Rainbow, Dyson, Bissell, Orek, Shark, Hoover, and the like.

Kirbys are built like tanks and do a lot of stuff but none of it very well. If you want a "real" vac, check out your local industrial/cleaning distributer.

IMHO the top of the line is Windsor followed by Sebo. Pretty much the same vacs but they're made for heavy everyday use. They're expensive. They're plastic. And they'll break over time. But they'll last much longer (except for maybe a Kirby) and clean much better than any home vac ever will.

craigb
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/27 06:05:56 (permalink)
But what if you really need to hold a bowling ball up with your vacuum??? 

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/27 06:20:04 (permalink)
Working for an old lady customer of mine a couple of winter's ago, and the overflow pipe from her boiler was frozen solid. I plugged in an extension lead and asked her for a hair dryer so I could get some heat on it. I looked at the thing she brought out and asked her how long she'd had it.  She thought for a sec then said ''51 years, I think''

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
craigb
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/27 06:26:36 (permalink)
I bet it still worked though! 

jamesg1213
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/27 06:33:26 (permalink)
It did

Jyemz

Shambler
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 783
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/27 08:32:01 (permalink)
I worked for Electrolux from 1984 to 1996, did my apprenticeship there in electrical/electronic/mechanical disciplines.

It was a great place to learn, a lot of complex machinery, the most complex were involved in the manufacture of the electric motors for the vacuum cleaners.

The world had already moved on, people want things cheap and still want them to last a lifetime...as a rule this isn't going to happen.

Perhaps our standard of living/living wage would not look so rosy if companies only sold quality goods that last and last...obviously these cost a premium...and many of us would not be able to afford them.

SONAR Platypus on Win10 64bit.
Studio One Pro / Cubase Pro 9.5...just in case.
8GB i7-2600 3.4GHz Gigabyte  Z68XP-UD3P
Geforce GTX970
Focusrite Scarlett 18i20 2nd Gen
Prophet 12/Rev 2/Virus Snow
Zebra2/DIVA/NI Komplete 10
KenB123
Max Output Level: -66 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1229
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/27 11:21:24 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rain 2014/07/27 15:04:55
I do realize this thread topic was a generality regarding things breaking, but vacuums were used as the example. Noting that I am not a vacuum repairman, I have learned a few things over the years regarding keeping them working. Not necessarily earth-shattering enlightenment, but rather things that people may forget to do. First and foremost is to not overfill the waste bag or waste bin. Nothing worse you can do to your vacuum that to try and keep sucking up more waste into an overloaded bin. Nice way to burn out the motor. Second, clean the roller brush occasionally. The units I have had in the past eventually would get wrapped with carpet threads and hair and such. Follow the manual and you should be able to clean those off. And third, check the internal vacuum hose leading from the roller brushes to the waste bin. I once cleaned one that was just plugged with cat hair. A cost hanger worked well for me.

My wife bought one of those Dyson's. Man, it cost about $400-500. I almost fell over. And then I see it and it is all plastic. But honestly, it does work really well. Just have to take care of it (e.g., don't drop the waste bin on the way to emptying it). Clean it periodically. Empty waste bin.

I do agree that in the older days many things were built to last. Different times though. Different technologies. Different mindsets.

Broken pencils are pointless.

WIN-7 64-bit; Sonar X2A 64-bit; 12GB RAM; ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 MB; Intel Core i7-960; 300GB-OS (10000-RPM); 1TB-Projects (7200-RPM); 1TB-Samples (7200-RPM) 

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/27 11:24:10 (permalink)
craigb

Your idea of the perfect girlfriend?

Oh no....... I dinnint just say that did I?
paulo
Max Output Level: -13 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6218
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/27 12:16:20 (permalink)
Rain

The first few weeks, I was amazed at how well it worked. But that didn't last long and for the last 8 months, judging by the time it takes me to do the stairs, I'd say that it's become at least 4 times LESS efficient than it was out of the box.

It's all that cat hair that's your problem.......

craigb
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/27 13:10:10 (permalink)
bapu
craigb

Your idea of the perfect girlfriend?

Oh no....... I dinnint just say that did I?

Depends on whether it comes with free pizza or not.

Rain
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/27 15:14:56 (permalink)
paulo
Rain

It's all that cat hair that's your problem.......

It's going to be a real problem if I can't fix it or get a replacement soon enough...

But I'd say that the problem isn't so much cat hair as it is the weird concept of putting carpet (and usually, the lightest shade possible) everywhere in houses here in Vegas.

spacealf
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/27 15:33:44 (permalink)
Just get a place with hardwood floors. Get a broom and a mop, and end the abuse out of  these type of people.
They have their reasons none of which satisfy me in any way, shape or form.

Rain
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/27 15:48:46 (permalink)
spacealf
Just get a place with hardwood floors. Get a broom and a mop, and end the abuse out of  these type of people.

That's the point - houses w/o carpets are virtually inexistant here in Vegas.

sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/27 16:09:08 (permalink)
Rain
spacealf

Now that would kill me. It's the same back in the UK, you're almost expected to have carpets down (at least it was when I was last there). I remember at school there was a kid who didn't have carpets in his house and he was mocked for it 

But I've always hated them. Give me hardwood floors any day. Or even raffia...when I was a kid our apartment was carpeted with raffia throughout and I loved the feel of it on my feet...

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Rain
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/27 16:20:06 (permalink)
sharke

Now that would kill me. It's the same back in the UK, you're almost expected to have carpets down (at least it was when I was last there). I remember at school there was a kid who didn't have carpets in his house and he was mocked for it 

But I've always hated them. Give me hardwood floors any day. Or even raffia...when I was a kid our apartment was carpeted with raffia throughout and I loved the feel of it on my feet...

When we do buy our own, first thing in order will be to remove all carpets. 

I just don't get how one can expect to actually live in a house with eggshell carpets and not having the place looking like a pig sty after a few months. Even my studio, which is the only 100% cat-free zone and where I never wear shoes looks bad.

Every time we visit friends in their new houses, one of my hobby is to try and figure out how bad their carpets look compared to ours. So far, I haven't seen one that looked amazingly better. Stairs are usually the worst.

And in the end, I may understand that some people hate to walk on a cold floor, especially when they get out of bed. But this is Las Vegas - it's NEVER cold.

Plus, walking on a cold floor is one of the few things that seem to help me with night time leg and feet cramps, so, to me, that would actually be a plus...

craigb
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/27 16:29:21 (permalink)
Not a fan of light-colored carpets, but I LOVE carpets!  I think having rooms completely carpeted (floor, walls, ceiling) would be great - lol!

Ok, maybe not that far... 

soens
Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5154
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/27 16:41:16 (permalink)
I've always thought thick padding everywhere would suit you...

just sayin'.
spacealf
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/27 17:34:19 (permalink)
That's it then, rubber walls and floors to bounce around on in the room.

jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/27 17:42:11 (permalink)
soens
Old Electrolux vacs were the best.

Most home vacuums today are pretty much overpriced junk.

I don't buy into any of the "techy" garbage you see advertised on TV.

Keep far away from Kirby, Rainbow, Dyson, Bissell, Orek, Shark, Hoover, and the like.

Kirbys are built like tanks and do a lot of stuff but none of it very well. If you want a "real" vac, check out your local industrial/cleaning distributer.

IMHO the top of the line is Windsor followed by Sebo. Pretty much the same vacs but they're made for heavy everyday use. They're expensive. They're plastic. And they'll break over time. But they'll last much longer (except for maybe a Kirby) and clean much better than any home vac ever will.

They, the Electrolux canister vacs, still work!
We bought a Rainbow about 15 years ago and it still works well but it was really overpriced. I like the Rainbow because it filters with water and not much dust gets through to settle back on everything.
We were on a road trip this weekend and the air conditioner in the car (2012 Buick Enclave) kept freezing up and then the fan would barely blow. If we stopped for a few minutes and shut the car off it would work for maybe another 45 minutes, it was like having both a heater and an air conditioner on you at the same time. Getting it checked/FIXED on Tuesday.
I've replaced the switch in my Am Deluxe Strat once and the new one still crackles and I sometimes have to wiggle it to get the pickup to work. It's that S-1 switching. I think it is just too many analog connections in too small a place, good idea/poor design.

We have Andersen windows and doors in this house. It was built in 2004. Most of them need new rubber, most of the doors leak air around them and I noticed last Thursday that there is a little dust or something between the two sheets of glass. I was looking at them thinking about window washing this week then noticed the stuff between the panes, how a I going to get to that? I'm sure they are out of warranty, everything that needs work always seems to be.

J
post edited by jbow - 2014/07/27 17:43:28

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
SteveStrummerUK
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/27 18:05:35 (permalink)

My Dyson is nearly 10 years old

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

craigb
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/27 18:17:52 (permalink)
SteveStrummerUK

They usually only wear out if you actually use them Steve. 
(Just sayin'...)

57Gregy
  • Total Posts : 14404
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/28 09:48:19 (permalink)
Rain
spacealf

That's really a shame.
Cats are much more entertaining with hardwood floors.

Greg 
I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
jamesg1213
Re: Do they still sell stuff that works and doesn't break up after a few months? 2014/07/28 14:24:43 (permalink)
SteveStrummerUK

Hey, look..I know he seems a bit dumb, but that's harsh...

Oh sorry... thought you said Mike Tyson.

Jyemz

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1