AnsweredHow do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together?

Author
DragonBlood
Max Output Level: -88 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 142
2014/07/26 07:31:28 (permalink)

How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together?

I'm still learning, I'm curious to know what more experienced people do to clean the low end of their mixes up.
So the bass doesn't sound distorted and dirty.

I had an issue with a bass guitar and a kick drum not going well together and I tried to EQ them together with no real luck. In the end I found that sidechaining a compressor and ducking the kick drum when the bass plays was the best solution, with some EQ to tighten up the sound.

Any methods you all use in particular to have a clean sounding low end?
Rimshot
Max Output Level: -29 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4625
Re: How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together? 2014/07/27 11:36:41 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby DragonBlood 2014/07/29 21:19:20
http://therecordingrevolution.com/2010/07/26/the-fastest-way-to-clean-up-your-mix/

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
AT
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 10654
Re: How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together? 2014/07/27 12:42:40 (permalink)
Uh, capture is the most important part.  Capture a good definition of both instruments and mixing them gets a lot easier.  That means good instruments, good players in an ok room w/ good recording technology.  I'm not talking Abbey Road, but basic stuff.  Oh, and well arranged parts so the kick and bass aren't stepping all over one another.  Get that right, and most of the problems of a muddy low end become manageable. 

Next, ruthlessly high-pass all the tracks.  If you typically have 16 acoustic tracks that means a lot of low level noise in the bass frequencies building up.  And few instruments have a fundamental under 100 Hz - bass, kick, floor tom, piano and such.  Go through all your channels and get rid of the moving air on all of them that don't need low end.  You'll find many can go up to 200 Hz or higher w/o touching any meat of the respective sound.  Do that and you'll get rid of tons of build up in the bass frequencies.

Then start using complementary EQ on the Bass and Kick, ducking and all the other tricks.  That is a final polish more than getting rid of the problem.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together? 2014/07/27 13:33:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby DragonBlood 2014/07/27 20:51:58
And in some cases, don't even be afraid to lose some of the "meat" of a sound by high passing it. When you listen to a good busy mix closely, it becomes obvious that some of the instruments would sound very thin and weedy if soloed. But in the context of a busy mix it doesn't matter because more prominent parts are supplying the beef. For instance if you have an acoustic strumming part that's not a major part of the arrangement then sometimes you can high pass all the meat out of it until all you can hear is the percussive pick sound. It sounds terrible soloed, but in the context of the mix it adds a great rhythmic element to the track without adding any additional mud. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
wizard71
Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 836
Re: How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together? 2014/07/27 18:17:17 (permalink)
High pass is good as stated above. You might have better luck ducking the bass when the kick drum plays, can't see how the other way round would work.

http://www.youtube.com/SpaceTimeAces
https://soundcloud.com/space-time-aces
Sonar Platinum - Win 8.1 x64 - Haswell 4770k - ASrock Z87 pro3 - 32gb ram - Fractal design R4 case - 3x HDD 1 USB 2.0 external 1x cr M4 ssd for samples - Octa-capture - Sontronics Aria - Sontronics STC-1s - BX8 monitors - ARC 2 system - Kawai CA63 piano - Kawai MP6 Stage piano - Fender custom Telecaster FMT - Yamaha LL6 - Fender P bass

DragonBlood
Re: How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together? 2014/07/27 20:26:30 (permalink)
AT
Uh, capture is the most important part.

I should clarify that both recordings were given to me as part of a class where the lesson was to use EQ to make 2 instruments occupying the same frequency play well together. I agree with you 100%. A good recording should lay the foundation for any good song. You have to do your best at every stage of production to make the best song possible.

wizard71
High pass is good as stated above. You might have better luck ducking the bass when the kick drum plays, can't see how the other way round would work.

Do you think it depends on the song which one you would duck? in this song it seems the bass guitar is 2nd to the lead melody (sorry I'm not good with music terminology yet) and it seems like the kick drum is only backing it up and driving the rhythm of the song. I got it ducked by about 3-6db when the bass guitar plays. This song has a real 1950s vibe to it.
post edited by DragonBlood - 2014/07/27 21:38:29
batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together? 2014/07/28 11:15:58 (permalink)
also, 
study the wav file EQ's of some of your favorite pro recordings..
you'll need some kind of 3rd party program to do this (SPAN is free, for example)

case in point:
here is the waveform for one of the latest QUEENS OF THE STONE AGE tunes, called 'My God is the Sun"

mostly look at the GREEN lines, this is the average peak energy at the frequency shown.

look at what happens at 100hz and below...
look at 150hz....
look at 200hz
look at 300hz
and what the h#ll is up with 3khz?!

LOL

every mix will have different reasons why certain freqs are boosted and cut...
your job, is to study all of your tracks individually, and figure out what is going on with them...
if you have buildup, you have to tame it.

as said earlier, most of these issues should be dealt with during the CAPTURE...
and only time and experience gets you there.

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together? 2014/07/28 15:02:03 (permalink)
If you duck the kick, you are lowering the kick whenever the bass plays. Most often, the bass is always playing when the kick hits, so you really don't want to lower the kick. Ducking the bass is the correct way so the kick hits are at a consistent level. However, make sure the release time is low so the bass doesn't sound like it is dropping out. You only want the initial kick transient to come though the bass.

Regards,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
batsbrew
Re: How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together? 2014/07/28 15:21:42 (permalink)
you know, they NEVER ducked' john bonhams' kick.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

TomHelvey
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 537
Re: How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together? 2014/07/29 04:09:13 (permalink) ☼ Best Answerby DragonBlood 2014/07/29 21:13:34
Watch the bass mud, HP filter anything that doesn't have useful content below whatever. Watch out for too much 160 (eww nasty), dropping 160 really cleans up pianos especially when they hammer lower octaves. Everything has it's place in the mix and everyone has an opinion, listen to producers who get the sound you like. Google musical ranges of instruments, great info and definitely worth checking out. Give everything its own little slot in the spectrum, especially if you want detail. In the end, trust your ears, it's your mix. Remember, it doesn't matter if you break someone's rules if it sounds good, the rules are only there to give you a reference point. Ducking the bass with the kick adds punch, an 1/8th note ducker gives a ska feel if pushed to extremes, use a faster slope and less compression if you don't want it to be noticeable. Sometimes guitars sound better in the mix when they're thinner than you think they should be.

Oh yeah, you might want the kick higher than the bass, boosting 100 Hz gives you a lot more chest thumping for kick, 40-80 rattles the walls better for bass. Don't neglect the top though, it gives both instruments definition. If you want hip-hop, add a sine to the kick. :)
post edited by TomHelvey - 2014/07/29 18:49:05

System: i7-6900, 64Gb, AMI X99 Carbon Pro Gaming, AMD Radeon HD 7700, Win 10 Pro
PCIe: UAD Octo
USB: MOTU midi express 128, OB-6 Module, Akai MPK-249, Moog SUB 37, Antelope Orion 32 HD, Softube Console 1, iLok, eLicenser
DAW: Cubase Pro, Ableton Live, Sonar Platinum
Plugins: Waves, UAD, Xfer, Lennar Digital, u-he, Reveal Sound, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, VPS, Blue Cat, iZotope, NI, Valhalla, Lexicon, etc.

https://soundcloud.com/thomas-helvey
TomHelvey
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 537
Re: How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together? 2014/07/29 04:51:06 (permalink)
DragonBlood
AT
Uh, capture is the most important part.

I should clarify that both recordings were given to me as part of a class where the lesson was to use EQ to make 2 instruments occupying the same frequency play well together. I agree with you 100%. A good recording should lay the foundation for any good song. You have to do your best at every stage of production to make the best song possible.

wizard71

Do you think it depends on the song which one you would duck? in this song it seems the bass guitar is 2nd to the lead melody (sorry I'm not good with music terminology yet) and it seems like the kick drum is only backing it up and driving the rhythm of the song. I got it ducked by about 3-6db when the bass guitar plays. This song has a real 1950s vibe to it.

Textbook, use an analyzer. Drop the area in the bass the kick occupies, drop the area in the kick the bass occupies. You don't really need a ducker if you've got the eq sorted. In 3 words "make a hole". :)

System: i7-6900, 64Gb, AMI X99 Carbon Pro Gaming, AMD Radeon HD 7700, Win 10 Pro
PCIe: UAD Octo
USB: MOTU midi express 128, OB-6 Module, Akai MPK-249, Moog SUB 37, Antelope Orion 32 HD, Softube Console 1, iLok, eLicenser
DAW: Cubase Pro, Ableton Live, Sonar Platinum
Plugins: Waves, UAD, Xfer, Lennar Digital, u-he, Reveal Sound, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, VPS, Blue Cat, iZotope, NI, Valhalla, Lexicon, etc.

https://soundcloud.com/thomas-helvey
Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together? 2014/07/30 17:52:09 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby DragonBlood 2014/08/01 01:17:20
I'll get shot for this Dragon, but here's my take for what it's worth.

First off, you have to identify what "distorted and dirty" means. This to me (in recording terms) doesn't tell *me* to search for a low end problem. It tells me to look deeper into how the instrument(s) may have been tracked and a possible re-track may be in order. Low end frequency masking between kick and bass guitar are different than distorted and dirty. I say the above because you would treat the instruments differently.

If your situation is low end frequency masking, forget about side-chaining. Do you want to put a band-aide on something or do you want to learn how to really engineer? As batsbrew mentioned (listen to his stuff, it speaks for itself) Bonham didn't need any side-chaining, and he's right.

That is not a bust on anyone telling you to side-chain and that is not a bust on the technique. What I'm saying is remedy the problem and learn how to fix it the right way. You will get much better results in doing so, trust me. The last thing you want is for your bass or kick to drop out because they take turns due to side-chaining. I think this technique used in this manner is absolute crap. It fixes nothing. It puts a band-aide on a problem and also keeps an instrument out of the mix in sections.

To fix the problem, I'll give you two choices that will work really well. 

1. decide whether your kick will be the low end meat or will it have more of a beater attack. If the kick will have low end meat, your bass guitar needs to be a bit more percussive and have less of that nice low end. If the kick will have more beater attack then your bass can have more low end in it. See, we are not allowing these instruments to share similar frequencies.

2. The other fix is, if say you boost 60 Hz to make your kick drum have a little low end oomph to it, you would NOT boost that same frequency on your bass. You'd cut a bit of that frequency out of the bass if it had any in there, and boost something else like say 80-90 Hz to give the bass a little low end push to it. You could then remove a little 80-90 Hz in the kick so these guys are definitely out of each others way. The key to stop frequency masking is to never boost the same stuff. When you boost one, you cut that one in the other instrument.

Now I'm just giving you rough ideas on frequencies here. Using them may be a nightmare for you and I will tell you why it's not always good to listen to people throwing out frequencies to you. They have no idea what your instruments sound like. I can't tell you to boost or cut 100 Hz if by chance your instrument doesn't have enough of that frequency in it to remove it, understand? I can't make you boost 90 Hz if your bass already has an over-abundant amount of 90 Hz in it already. So starting points are completely useless due to your instruments not being analyzed for any of us to come to that conclusion.

Once I know what I'm up against in a mix, I listen to the kick drum and try to hone in on where the best low end push for it would be. If it already has quite a bit of push to it, I'm then searching for where I want to REMOVE the low end via high pass. Depending on how much low is present will determine whether I use a high pass or a shelf. Sometimes things are so bassy, I have to remove a lot of bass frequencies. A shelf can help in that area. Other times, if you can hone in on the frequency giving you problems, you can literally work on THAT frequency and curb it. These are the decisions you have to think about in this field.

Other times, all the stuff I told you above about high passing and shelving to remove bass....we may be using to enhance low end. One of the greatest eq's ever made for high passing is the Sonitus EQ that comes with Sonar. That eq will allow you to high pass and control the amount of high passing using the Q control. Most eq's just high pass and don't give you that option. Having it makes a great difference in my opinion.

So most of the stuff you would be dealing with here, will depend on your instruments that you choose to record. The sound selection you choose followed by the actual recording is the most important part of your process here. If you are spending hours trying to polish a turd, it's time to re-record the instrument. That's another important factor in this field....knowing when something recorded is worth keeping.

Too many guys live by "let's fix it in the mix." When they see how many hours, days, weeks it may take to try to make something work, they'll one day get a clue that it's best to just re-print the tracks that may be lacking. That said, sometimes we DO record really great instruments and we just may not know how to make them sound good within a mix. This is common too!

Sometimes you may have to make something that sounds great by itself, sound not so great when it is in a mix with other instrumentation. Unfortunately, that is just the nature of this business and it goes with the territory. Speaking of "great by itself".....people really mess up their mixes doing this. Try as hard as you can not to solo something up to eq it by itself. This will drive you crazy until you have enough years under your belt to be able to know how to do it right. Honest when I tell you, it takes quite a while before you can get it down. But the reason you might not want to do this is because it's best to mix the entire song instead of mixing each instrument as an entity. When you do each one by itself then throw the whole mix up, you wonder why it sounds bad. The instruments all need to work as a team, they can't all be all-stars individually. :)

Anyway, I hope some of this stuff helps you. Frequency masking is a very common issue, so don't get too frustrated. Just keep experimenting and remember not to boost like-frequencies....high pass and hone in, and learn compression as it walks hand and hand with eq and will help you keep your instruments in check after you've drawn out the right eq curve. Best of luck! :)
-Danny
post edited by Danny Danzi - 2014/07/31 03:17:20

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
dcumpian
Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 4124
Re: How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together? 2014/07/31 06:35:16 (permalink)
Danny,

Completely agree and on most recordings with bass guitar, you can capture the tone of the bass to complement the kick, or vice versa. This isn't always possible, and not all of us record Led Zeppelin-style rock and roll.

Now days, I scoop out room for the kick when I can, unless it takes too much away from the bass. Particularly with synth bass, I find that deep kicks will lose a lot of punch. Instead of compressing, I am using dynamic EQ to make space only when needed. It isn't something automatically done on every tune.

All the best,
Dan

Mixing is all about control.

My music:
http://dancumpian.bandcamp.com/ or https://soundcloud.com/dcumpian Studiocat Advanced Studio DAW (Intel i5 3550 @ 3.7GHz, Z77 motherboard, 16GB Ram, lots of HDDs), Sonar Plat, Mackie 1604, PreSonus Audiobox 44VSL, ESI 4x4 Midi Interface, Ibanez Bass, Custom Fender Mexi-Strat, NI S88, Roland JV-2080 & MDB-1, Komplete, Omnisphere, Lots o' plugins.    
batsbrew
Re: How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together? 2014/07/31 10:21:06 (permalink)
VERY HIGH Q VALUES

that is key

and knowing exactly where they belong

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

batsbrew
Re: How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together? 2014/07/31 10:22:07 (permalink)
i will use tilting EQ when necessary..
i've received bass tracks that were just completely overdone....
too much low everything...
and the tilt works great.

Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--

Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together? 2014/07/31 10:59:53 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby DragonBlood 2014/08/01 01:26:31
Bass can sometimes be the most difficult to mix. Especially if you're trying to make a sub base heavy mix i.e. Hip Hop ,that sits well in other systems.

The frequencies need to fit typical systems without overloading but be present on systems designed to give that extra boom in the 30hz range. In my experience the 50hz range can be one of the most difficult to listen and "slide" the EQ to get the best results or detail.We don't tell detail as well at the lower frequencies.

I usually listen and move my EQ bands at the same time, but there are times when it really helps to have some kind of frequency analyst and although the total mix is important I like to listen to bass guitar and drums soloed to get in the ball park. Sometimes listening and sliding those frequencies are all it takes hear the best detail and make room for both. Like Danny says, cutting where necessary as well as moving the peaks is important. That way you have basically made one instrument out of two and combined them in a mutual way. A frequency analyst can help a lot in looking at where everything is showing up.

In some mixes the bass is all over the place in range and has a more acoustic element to it. Picking the right combinations of sounds can help a lot at the beginning stages. If the bass jumps all around and into the higher mids ,then a bass with higher characteristics fits better IMO. A low boomy bass in that situation is asking for trouble. Since the bass is generally more sustained than the kick drum, I usually look at it as a potential cause for trouble first.

Many drum programs allow for tuning of a drum in the GUI. This might be another option to get the best fit. Try tuning the bass drum to a place where it fits better....and one other thing comes to mind....levels...working the gain structure in balance with the rest of the mix can help to get rid of that mud.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Danny Danzi
Re: How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together? 2014/08/01 00:32:37 (permalink)
dcumpian
Danny,

Completely agree and on most recordings with bass guitar, you can capture the tone of the bass to complement the kick, or vice versa. This isn't always possible, and not all of us record Led Zeppelin-style rock and roll.

Now days, I scoop out room for the kick when I can, unless it takes too much away from the bass. Particularly with synth bass, I find that deep kicks will lose a lot of punch. Instead of compressing, I am using dynamic EQ to make space only when needed. It isn't something automatically done on every tune.

All the best,
Dan

Dan,

I totally understand you too. Again, I didn't mean any disrespect to you or anyone in favor of side-chaining. My point with the Zep thing was...(other than agreeing with bats) there have been monstrous arrangements with massive kick and bass that didn't have side-chaining going on that sounded fantastic. Part of that has to do with how good the instrument prints were to begin with as well as the ears and know-how of the engineers behind the wheel.

My point is, even if we don't have the resources to record stuff like that or we're not playing that sort of style, technology has come such a long way that there should be no reason why someone has to be stuck polishing a turd or attempting to use a technique that masks problems with bad instrumentation. OR, the fact that someone simply may not know what or how to listen to or control bass frequencies. As you know, handling that bass stuff is an art form as well as a monitor/environment sort of thing. It sure has been for me over the years. :) Having a decent room with tuned monitors makes a HUGE difference too, so there are quite a few things to consider especially when someone voices that they are new or learning. :) 

If I can put my teacher's hat on for a second, I personally see no reason to resort to side-chaining because it's not helping a person that is asking how to clean up low end. SC'ing is not cleaning up low end at all nor is it remedying a possible problem if one constantly exists with a new engineer. I teach my students how to handle the issues before we move on to techniques like SC.

That said, I can totally understand doing this sort of thing with synth bass or even dance/club stuff. The fidelity of a bass instrument is meaningless in that style other than to rumble with a "boom" or "ooom" sound. It's ok if it distorts slightly....it's ok if it rattles 35 Hz a bit too much.

The OP mentioned his song having a 50's sound to it, so it's safe to say he's not doing rock, metal, dance, rap, trance or hip hop. LOL! I've never felt the quality of the low end instruments they use were really important nor does a person really notice if there is a trade-off between a synth, a bass drop or a kick drum in those styles of music. I mean seriously, have you ever thought "oh wow, listen to the incredible tonality of that bass drop, that synth bass or that 808 kick!" Hahaha! They either boom, oom, drop and rattle your bile ducts or they don't. :) There's no real "quality" in my opinion like when we listen to a killer bass guitar sound or a really good kick drum that has a personality that may have lived for decades. So again, though SC can be a useful technique in certain circumstances, it doesn't really remedy a low end problem. It sort of puts a band-aide on it and well...if the person doing it doesn't do it right, it can really mess up a mix....especially if they are new or still learning.

To me, it's just better to isolate the source of the problem and fix it if and when possible. It's sort of like learning how to fix a pipe. Plumbers putty will get you through....sort of....but doing it right fixes the problem just about indefinitely. :)

-Danny
post edited by Danny Danzi - 2014/08/01 03:39:09

My Site
DragonBlood
Re: How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together? 2014/08/01 06:43:06 (permalink)
Danny Danzi
Anyway, I hope some of this stuff helps you. Frequency masking is a very common issue, so don't get too frustrated. Just keep experimenting and remember not to boost like-frequencies....high pass and hone in, and learn compression as it walks hand and hand with eq and will help you keep your instruments in check after you've drawn out the right eq curve. Best of luck! :)
-Danny

Danny I really want to thank you for taking the time to drop knowledge and give great advice on solving this problem. I was wondering what I was doing wrong when I was boosting and cutting.

So essentially I have to make "complimentary EQ curves" (that's what my instructor said but he didnt go too deep into detail)
I will definitely experiment with some of the techniques you talk about when I get more time. I really liked the separation sidechaining provided, but the kick does mellow out on the bass playing.

So I just wanted to say thank you.

And thanks everyone for helping. I appreciate it.
Danny Danzi
Re: How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together? 2014/08/01 16:16:31 (permalink)
DragonBlood
Danny Danzi
-Danny

Danny I really want to thank you for taking the time to drop knowledge and give great advice on solving this problem. I was wondering what I was doing wrong when I was boosting and cutting.

So essentially I have to make "complimentary EQ curves" (that's what my instructor said but he didnt go too deep into detail)
I will definitely experiment with some of the techniques you talk about when I get more time. I really liked the separation sidechaining provided, but the kick does mellow out on the bass playing.

So I just wanted to say thank you.

And thanks everyone for helping. I appreciate it.

You're very welcome. Yeah if you start pushing up a fader to hear a kick...then push up the fader to hear the bass, and this keeps on happening....the fix is to carve it or like I said originally....choose if your kick will have a boom to it or more of a beater attack. This allows you to choose the bass guitar that will not walk on top of the kick.

Boomy kick, you choose a bass with a bit more bass clack/high end presence at anywhere from 1k to 3k.

Beater type kick sound with less boom, you can choose a bass guitar with the boom and allow it to rule the roost in the lower frequencies.

Just remember, anyone throwing specific frequencies at you is not helping if they have not heard your particular sounds. They mean well, but what works for one will not always work for another. I had a student that came to me that would always high pass and low pass at the same places for everything while always cutting and boosting certain frequencies. So I challenged him and gave him instrumentation to mix that didn't have those frequencies in them to begin with. He was like a fish out of water. See, it becomes a matter of "ok, this is my sound...this is what I have in my sound, this is what I'm up against."

If a guy uses the same sound all the time, sure, he can tell you what he cuts and boosts as well as where he high passes and low passes. That doesn't tell you anything about YOUR sounds. This is why I've always hated books and videos that people sell. They work with THEIR sounds, not yours. It makes me sick really. (which is what made me create my online video lessons for stuff like that) A student can't learn a thing watching or listening to an engineer tell them how to control sounds that the student doesn't have or isn't creating. But you sure can learn ten-fold when YOUR sounds are on the chopping block.

That said, if you post some stuff up for people to hear to where they give you feedback, that's totally different. But anyone going into it blindly....exactly like Russian Roulette really.

The main things you want to pound into your head for this stuff would be the following:

1. Have decent monitors with a sub, some room correction and have your monitors corrected to be as flat as possible. This is a complete game changer. You can't make the right calls if what you are hearing isn't really what you're hearing due to room inconsistencies or the fact that your monitors are coloring/not coloring frequencies that they should or shouldn't be.

2. Learn how to record your sounds to the best of your ability with the gear you have. If you can afford to update your gear, be careful as sometimes the cheaper stuff works just as well. But in other areas, you really do get what you pay for in this field. That said, what you record will always be the most important thing here. Garbage in, garbage out which in reality, can force you to spend several hours polishing a turd. This happens all too often with today's home recordists. Because they don't really know what constitutes a good sound, they will record something and mess with it for days, weeks, or months only to completely hate what they have done. Sound identification can be taught and learned. Trial and error on stuff like this or waiting to gain experience will work too...but it's a slow process that can easily turn you away from this field.

3. Learn frequency language. Each frequency is like a syllable in the English language. Learn to identify what they sound like as well as when you are in need of certain ones...and may have to remove others. This isn't just meant for low end. Mid range congestion is another bad seed. Too many warm mids equals a mud pie of disappearing focal instruments as most of the lead instruments that will have cameo appearances....will more than likely have a nice dose of mids to make them sound attractive and less harsh while they are in the forefront. High end is another killer. Low passing is your friend when something hisses like a snake.

4. Beware of people that talk the talk that don't explain or walk the walk. I can't tell you how bad this can deter your progress. We have so much information on the net, it's hard to decide what is right and what isn't. My rule of thumb (and I say this to all my students) if you do not like the quality of my recordings, don't let me teach you and don't listen to what I say. This is a field where the best example is a SOUND example. If we were guitarists or pianists, would we want to take lessons from someone that talks, or someone that walks? I'd like a happy medium of both, but if I can be honest....I'll listen to the person that makes me green with envy on how they play more so than any theory I could learn from someone. I got a friend that knows 0 theory...but whew, he's one of the most ferocious Chet Atkins type players I've ever heard. Quick example...

I once had a teacher that knew all the theory in the world. Great guy, absolutely horrible as a player. I could smoke this dude on guitar in my 5th year of playing in quite a few things especially mechanics and lead guitar stuff. This isn't a guy I'd want to learn from today. He'd show me theory and scales, but never showed me how to use the stuff. He wasn't into the rock thing either which was a bit of a downer for me as that was what I wanted/needed to learn. I needed a teacher that could play and execute in a style I enjoyed while being shown examples on how to use the theory I was taught. When I teach something today whether it be guitar or recording, I always try to share 2 or more examples to get the point across.

The same for recording. Someone that tells you to do something without trying to explain the concept may mean well, but they aren't really helping. There are several windbags like me on forums. We can only go so far until someone actually listens to what we've produced over what we've spewed out. LOL! If the productions make you cringe, those are not the guys you want to listen to. In this field we lead by example or we really don't lead at all in my opinion. Quite a few like to see their name in lights "for the sake of". YOU have to decide whether they deserve that recognition or not. It truly is important to weed out information that is misleading that could send you on a wild goose chase.

These are the things I'd concentrate on, Dragon. Honest when I tell you they will make an incredible difference all across the board. Each of the things I mentioned above walks hand in hand. All are equally important no matter what anyone tells you. I'd also go as far as to say I'd bet anyone all that I own that if the above 4 things are altered, fixed, or taken into consideration, their mixes change drastically for the better almost over-night. Good luck and I'm glad some of this stuff was helpful to you. :)

-Danny

My Site
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together? 2014/08/08 12:51:53 (permalink)
Good to see you back Danny!!!

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Danny Danzi
Re: How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together? 2014/08/08 13:30:23 (permalink)
Starise
Good to see you back Danny!!!

Thanks Tim....good to see you too!

My Site
John-J
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13
Re: How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together? 2014/08/09 19:59:55 (permalink)
I use the duck, duck, goose method where every 3rd hit of the kick, you goose the bass instead of ducking it.
Rimshot
Re: How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together? 2014/08/15 11:58:59 (permalink)
Even though some of us may not be as experienced or capable as others, everyone should feel invited to post their opinions.  Don't be afraid to share your experience.  You may learn bunches by doing so and you may also help someone else.  The idea is that you are trying.    

I don't think any forum could function with everyone having to prove themselves before being able to contribute to a thread - but that might be a great new forum to develop!  I don't know who would judge who's in/out though!  LOL.

Rimshot 

Sonar Platinum 64 (Lifer), Studio One V3.5, Notion 6, Steinberg UR44, Zoom R24, Purrrfect Audio Pro Studio DAW (Case: Silent Mid Tower, Power Supply: 600w quiet, Haswell CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.4GHz (8 threads), RAM: 16GB DDR3/1600 
, OS drive: 1TB HD, Audio drive: 1TB HD), Windows 10 x64 Anniversary, Equator D5 monitors, Faderport, FP8, Akai MPK261
Danny Danzi
Re: How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together? 2014/08/15 16:42:45 (permalink)
Rimshot
Even though some of us may not be as experienced or capable as others, everyone should feel invited to post their opinions.  Don't be afraid to share your experience.  You may learn bunches by doing so and you may also help someone else.  The idea is that you are trying.    

I don't think any forum could function with everyone having to prove themselves before being able to contribute to a thread - but that might be a great new forum to develop!  I don't know who would judge who's in/out though!  LOL.

Well said Rimshot. That said, I hope you didn't misunderstand my post. It wasn't meant to deter people from posting their experiences. My point is, there are loads of people on the internet on various forums as well as Youtube and other places that can easily push someone in the wrong direction if that someone is not careful. My comment wasn't mean to discredit anyone in this thread nor was it directed at anyone or the advice given here, honest.

The bottom line is.....I think it is crucial to ingest the right information or someone ends up on a wild goose chase to nowhere really. Or, they learn about something that is really irrelevant to the situation at hand. Or something that is "said for the sake of" because someone wants to make themselves appear to be more knowledgeable than they really are. You know how far advice like that can go. Then you have people that post stuff on the net quoting others with massive links where they never really answer the question someone may have asked.

Sometimes a heart-felt experienced answer is all that is needed instead of sending some poor person to read 8 pages of science or technical jargon. Most of this stuff is cut and dry really, it truly is. Though some of the science and techniques can prove important, to me 7 times out of 10 they end up being the long way around and don't really resolve the problems at hand. This is the type of information that can sometimes confuse someone or totally take them off their game.

The biggest problems in this field are....there are many ways to skin the cat and there are many opinions that talk about skinning the cat. Some teach you the steps to skin the cat, others may be short cuts to sort of skin the cat, while still other things get said that don't contain enough information to really help anyone skin a kitten let alone a cat. This field is frustrating and expensive enough as is....the less we get lead astray, the better. :)

-Danny

My Site
Rimshot
Re: How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together? 2014/08/15 17:54:19 (permalink)
Right you are Danny.  Based on each one of us going through different stages of experience and know-how, we have to be able to post our thoughts without fear of the "pros" putting it down.  
I am one of the older ones around here and I encourage participation at all levels so that the forum grows.  
It would be a very quiet place if only the "pros" contributed.  So I think we need to help others along by letting them "say what they need to say".  We can then help them if they are off base.  Yes, this might lead some astray but I think over all, the concensus of the majority would help the thread more than not.
I fear that some will never what to contribute because they might get hammered.  

For example, over at the Presonus song forum, it is so very inactive because I think there are many end-users that are afraid to post their songs.  There is very little feedback as well.  This forum on the other hand is alive with song posts and technical questions/conversations and I think that is wonderful.  Just don't want to exclude anyone from participating.   

All the best, 

Rimshot

Rimshot 

michaelhanson
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3529
Re: How do you clean up your low end and make instruments sit well together? 2014/08/15 18:02:09 (permalink)
I just know I would hate to be the cat in this thread........

😄

Mike

https://soundcloud.com/michaeljhanson
https://www.facebook.com/michaeljhanson.music
iTunes:
https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/scandalous-grace/id1180730765

Platinum Lifetime, Focusrite 8i6 & 2i4, Gibson LP, ES335, Fender Strat, 4003 Rickenbacker
BMI
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1