Studio one Automation

Author
Kroneborge
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1300
2014/07/29 21:46:56 (permalink)

Studio one Automation

Ok, at the advice of somebody else I decided to give Studio One another try (it's been years), especially since I still seem to be having random problems with Sonar.  I have to say, I LOVE the automation in there.  So easy to use.

Also, it's SO much easier to edit things like velocity.  Especially on multiple notes at a time.  Now I just need to reconfigure their hotkeys...

Mathew

Hip Hop
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

13 Replies Related Threads

cclarry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20964
    Re: Studio one Automation 2014/07/29 22:36:46 (permalink)
    Kroneborge

Also, it's SO much easier to edit things like velocity.  Especially on multiple notes at a time.  Now I just need to reconfigure their hotkeys...

This has been my major issue with Sonar and it's MIDI handling...editing velocity by "drawing" it in is a PITA...
    That's has to be the worst implementation (for me) I've ever used.

I have $50 DAW's that do it 10 times better...which is scary...but, MIDI and Scoring never have been a 
    Strong point of Sonar (since I've been using it, starting at X1, anyways...)

If you really want some heavy duty MIDI capabilities....Cubase is unsurpassed IMO...if they could just 
    do something with that interface....

sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Studio one Automation 2014/07/30 02:04:55 (permalink)
    How does editing velocity work differently in Studio One? I don't draw it in....hate that method. I just use the Smart tool to click-drag up and down on notes to adjust their velocities. If I want to edit multiple notes at a time I just lasso (or CTRL-click) them and click-drag one of them with the Smart tool. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    cclarry
    Re: Studio one Automation 2014/07/30 07:07:40 (permalink)
    The Click Drag is what I have the problem with...it's clunky and doesn't work right.
    Sometimes they draw and sometimes they don't...and, when it does draw, it's not
    a smooth increase or decrease...it jumps...

I've had that problem since X1, and I've gone through 2 PC's since then, so I know
    it's not the setup...don't know what the problem is...but it just doesn' work right.

Kroneborge
    Re: Studio one Automation 2014/07/30 11:39:17 (permalink)
    I suppose before I make any commitments to anything, I should give Cubase another fair shake.  The last couple of times I tried it, it just wasn't that intuitive.  But maybe if I went through the Groove 3 tutorials.  

What exactly can Cubuse do with MIDI that Sonar or Studio One can't?

Mathew

Hip Hop

BreakBeats

cclarry
    Re: Studio one Automation 2014/07/30 11:53:33 (permalink)
    The most significant is VST Expresssion...

Here's a look ..it's an older video but you'll get the idea...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2A38SIoVoCw

Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re: Studio one Automation 2014/07/30 12:04:48 (permalink)
    MIDI wise, Logic is it for me.
    But Cubase is indeed amazing.
    And so is Digital Performer I hear.

In fact, most of the original big guys are quite adequate. 

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    sharke
    Re: Studio one Automation 2014/07/30 14:51:00 (permalink)
    cclarry
    The Click Drag is what I have the problem with...it's clunky and doesn't work right.

I've had that problem since X1, and I've gone through 2 PC's since then, so I know
    it's not the setup...don't know what the problem is...but it just doesn' work right.

Are we talking about the same thing? I didn't mean the velocity bars in the controller pane, I meant when you click-drag the top-center of a MIDI note in the piano roll so that the little velocity icon appears. A tooltip appears telling you the velocity of the note and you can set it precisely. I would go mad trying to make precise adjustments in the controller pane, although sometimes I will draw velocities there when I want to emphasize and de-emphasize certain notes roughly (ie for a more human feel).

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    cclarry
    Re: Studio one Automation 2014/07/30 15:11:54 (permalink)
    Most DAW's you can click-drag the velocity line in the Controller Pane and it's a very smooth process...
    In Sonar it's a mess....IMO...if you grab the velocity line (which, in itself is a task)
    and drag the velocity line either up or down...sometimes it works...and sometimes it doesn't
    and even when it does work it's a jerky mess...rather then being smooth...

This is also what I do to "humanize" the part...

Every other DAW I use, you can click the velocity line in the Contoller Pane, and drag it either up or down,
    or lasso multiple notes and do the same, to increase or decrease velocity, and it's painless and smooth,  ...

So the Controller Pane ( where the velocity info resides under the PRV) is what I'm referring to...

bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: Studio one Automation 2014/07/30 15:52:52 (permalink)
    cclarry

Have you used the same mouse on all of those computers?
    cclarry
    Re: Studio one Automation 2014/07/30 16:01:05 (permalink)
    bapu
    cclarry

Have you used the same mouse on all of those computers?

Nope...different mice also...(Mice - ha ha)

Kroneborge
    Re: Studio one Automation 2014/07/30 17:17:40 (permalink)
    cclarry
    Most DAW's you can click-drag the velocity line in the Controller Pane and it's a very smooth process...
    In Sonar it's a mess....IMO...if you grab the velocity line (which, in itself is a task)
    and drag the velocity line either up or down...sometimes it works...and sometimes it doesn't
    and even when it does work it's a jerky mess...rather then being smooth...

This is also what I do to "humanize" the part...

Every other DAW I use, you can click the velocity line in the Contoller Pane, and drag it either up or down,
    or lasso multiple notes and do the same, to increase or decrease velocity, and it's painless and smooth,  ...

So the Controller Pane ( where the velocity info resides under the PRV) is what I'm referring to...

Yes this is it exactly. 

Mathew

Hip Hop

BreakBeats

stevec
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Studio one Automation 2014/07/30 17:29:55 (permalink)
    Do other DAWs allow velocity editing in the main PRV?   Just curious, since like Sharke I don't often use the controller pane for velocity editing.

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

sharke
    Re: Studio one Automation 2014/07/31 00:09:05 (permalink)
    I agree that dragging velocity in the controller pane is horrible, I don't know why that has been allowed to persist for all this time. I should imagine that enough people have complained about it by now for it to be a known issue. 

In the meantime though, velocity dragging in the piano roll is a perfectly adequate workaround - in fact I much prefer to edit velocities here because you're always 100% sure of which note you're editing - with a busy part, it's sometimes hard to see which velocity bar is tied to which note when you're working in the controller pane. 

James
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1