SSDs the experience

Author
lawajava
Max Output Level: -55 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2040
2014/06/29 01:13:16 (permalink)

SSDs the experience

I am putting in SSDs just before July 4.

Here's my situation. I have a fast and quiet laptop with two quiet, normal hard drives. Everything has been running great with Sonar and all of the various plug-ins. The music sounds great!

But over the past year plus I've been adding more programs and Kontakt libraries etc. Although I have defragged my disks several times, the boot up process has been getting slower and slower. I have gotten to about 70 percent full on my main drive with the OS and all of the programs, and the second drive that contains my Sonar project files is getting near 50 percent full. In any case, everything is definitely slower now than when I first got the laptop, even though it's still fast while working with the files after everything has booted sufficiently.

So I'm taking the plunge and putting in two 1TB SSDs this week.

I'll note here in a follow up post if this was a tragic choice or it has worked out as I hoped.

I'm backing everything up with Acronis, so I believe after I've put in the SSDs I'll just need to restore from Acronis and everything will be just like I had it, only faster. I've used Acronis often enough to restore entire drives that I'm confident that will work out.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.

17 Replies Related Threads

Sycraft
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 871
    Re: SSDs the experience 2014/06/29 12:10:52 (permalink)
    You should be fine. I do that kind of disk to disk imaging at work all the time, works without issue so long as you don't change the interface mode (like change it from AHCI to legacy or something).

You will love the speed increase. Your computer with disks has always been slow, you just didn't know it until you got SSDs :D. Heck you can do silly things you'd never try before like have something playing in Sonar in the background and go load another program, like a browser. It is just near impossible to bog your system down when you have fast SSDs, it is very nice.
    lawajava
    Re: SSDs the experience 2014/06/29 13:46:54 (permalink)
    I'm going out on a limb by using up all of my music funds for this, but I'm gambling this will work out so that I'm stoked.

Two internal 2TB SSDs laptop stuffed with Larry's deals and awesome tools. Studio One is the cat's meow as a DAW now that I've migrated off of Sonar. Using BandLab Cakewalk just to grab old files when migrating songs.
    rtucker55
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2177
    Re: SSDs the experience 2014/06/29 20:25:00 (permalink)
    Samsung 840 Pro 500GB and 840 EVO 1TB ssd's in my laptop was the best thing I could have done for it. It would be hard to go back to platter drives now.

Purrrfect Audio DAW here.  Wow!...
    lawajava
    Re: SSDs the experience 2014/06/29 21:35:25 (permalink)
    I went with two of the 1TBs you have above.

rtucker55
    Max Output Level: -53.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2177
    Re: SSDs the experience 2014/06/29 21:48:12 (permalink)
    I think you will really enjoy them. The system is going to be spunkier and if you use samples on the other drive you will notice a difference in loading times!

I do notice things start to slow down if I run much more than 880 GB on the 1TB drive. I think it requires the extra space for proper housekeeping functions.

I always keep my laptop power supply connected to an APC UPS due to electrical outages in our area and I have noticed a slight increase in available run time on the APC and on battery power since I installed the ssd's vs. the platter drives.

I Wish you much success and enjoyment.

Kind regards,
    Rick

Purrrfect Audio DAW here.  Wow!...
    SvenArne
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2719
    Re: SSDs the experience 2014/06/30 12:03:40 (permalink)
    I haven't noticed much improvement by running SONAR projects from SSD, but it's an undeniable blessing for OS/Apps drive. For now I'm using a 250 Gb Samsung 840 EVO disk for the OS and a 3Tb Toshiba HDD for projects/samples/documents/storage. Pretty happy!

Mesh
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: SSDs the experience 2014/06/30 12:40:42 (permalink)
    When funds permit it, I'd like to get a large 2-3 TB SSD for my samples and slowly do away with my HDD. Yeah, a +1 on the OS/SSD drive....I'm still amazed at the boot up time (around 9 secs) and I'm instantly ready to go!!

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    jeffb63
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 516
    Re: SSDs the experience 2014/06/30 16:12:12 (permalink)
    The Samsungs come with a cloning utility which is quick and painless.

Already got an 840 Evo and an 840 Pro in my stage laptop and just put an 840 Evo in my DAW.

They're as fast as a fast thing!

Studio:
    X3 Producer on i7 4770K Asus Z87-K 32Gb G-Skill Trident X. W8.1 x64. 2408 Mk3, ADI8-DD. BCF2000. 
    Stage:
    Cantabile Performer 2 on Lenovo W530 i7 3720QM 16Gb DDR3. Samsung 840 Evo, Samsung 840 Pro. W7 x64.
    lawajava
    Re: SSDs the experience 2014/07/03 01:43:35 (permalink)
    Well, it was tougher than I thought to put in the 2 SSDs. It took me three days to get them working. But it was my fault. The result is that they are working after I got past my issues, and they perform spectacularly.

Here are some of my mistakes (don't do this if upgrading to SSDs).

1. I thought I knew what I was doing.
    2. I had great success previously with Acronis, and restoring whole drives and partitions that way. I decided to go with a backup to Acronis and restore from an Acronis backup. That all worked, but didn't set a boot setting so the OS SSD just blinked stupid at me for days.
    3. I had ignored the included instructions, CD, and probably fool proof method included with the SSDs.
    4. I took the platter HDs out (after backing them up to several Acronis backups (just in case I did more than one), and put the SSDs into the laptop before transferring data etc to them.
    Upshot - every Acronis restore method, and there are several, didn't solve the boot disk riddle.

Resolution(s):
    1. I bought an external HD case for my internal drive(s) I had removed, and put the OS disk in there.
    2. I used the Clone disk feature in Acronis to point to that disk and put the image of everything onto the SSD I wanted for the system drive.
    3. That worked, and it copied exactly over the system partition and made the SSD bootable.
    4. I used a partition software to set up my partitions on the SSDs.
    5. I restored all of the other partitions from the 2 drives using Acronis as usual and everything was put back to its exact spot.
    6. Final result - my laptop has never performed so fast or looked so inviting to get back to the music.

Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: SSDs the experience 2014/07/03 02:39:12 (permalink)
    Ok my story.

I got two 840 EVO's One for home PC, one for music PC. I did read the instructions. And I cloned my sys drive to the SSD per Samsung instructions. But it wouldn't boot. Repeated steps several times to make sure I was doing this right. Still wouldn't boot.

So I created an disk image with Acronis. Then I did a clean install of Win8. Tried to install Acronis on new OS and it wouldn't install.

Went to Acronis for support. Chose live chat support. That was a big disappointment. To solve my Acronis issue, their support gave me a link to a third party site that they told me to let it install a utility that would fix my problem, and they suggested that I let the program run a scan on my registry, and they also said that the first 15 fixes were free!!

I was stunned. Since I have used Acronis for so long, and trusted them, I let the utility install before I was told about the registry scan and free fixes. Acronis went down quite a few notches in my book.

As if it wasn't bad enough, it got worse. I got the Win8 update for $40 way back before release. And I did a clean install of the OS,and wiped everything from my sys drive to do the clean install. Now WIN8 Update won't activate because there was no previous Windows installed.

So, I used a Acronis boot disk to access my backed up image. The restore was successful. But it wouldn't boot into it. Dead in the water.

So I had to go buy another copy of Win8. And I have been working in this issue since the end of May!

My first SSD experience was not good. I just got the os going the day before I had to leave to go out of town for two weeks on business! So I haven't really had time to test.

As to why it happened, I can only guess that it has something to do with Win8 boot manager.

[edit] I didn't even try to put the other SSD in my music computer. I have to learn what I did wrong on my home box before I even attempt to install it on my music PC. [/edit]

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    lawajava
    Re: SSDs the experience 2014/07/03 15:40:36 (permalink)
    Grem -

You have so many pieces to that I'm not sure what to say. And I'm no expert obviously due to my perilous journey of a couple days. But I did make it through and everything is grand now, so here are my thoughts to help if possible.

1. Do you still have your original platter HD with the system on it as it was?

2. If so, do you have an external enclosure for that drive?

3. If so, the Acronis built in Clone feature does work for this SSD situation, and does make your SSD bootable. To use it, you boot from the Acronis CD and select the Clone path in there.

The consolation prize, and it's a big one, is that your SSDs will be amazing after you clear the boot hurdle.

Grem
    Max Output Level: -19.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5562
    Re: SSDs the experience 2014/07/04 16:02:25 (permalink)
    Thanks for the reply lawa. I know that was scattered all over. But that was the short version. I'm no idiot to working on a PC, but this had me stumped. I really thought I had all the bases covered. But when I would think I had one problem solved, another crept up to add to the situation!! Then it just kept mounting....

To answer your suggestions:

1. No. It was wiped out with Disk Director to overcome a problem. I figured a clean install would solve everything.

2. I do have the back up image
    of that drive on another HD. And I have a bootable Acronis disk. And the restore was successful. But my pc won't boot up with that drive. It has something to do with the boot manager for Win8 that I haven't figured out yet.

3. See my post above. It just won't boot even though it says restore was successful.

I was able to install Win8. Just couldn't get it activated because of no previous Windows installation. And the only previous Win installation is that backed up image that Acronis will restore successfully but the computer still won't boot into that restored image!!

See the circle?

Grem

Michael

Music PC
    i7 2600K; 64gb Ram; 3 256gb SSD, System, Samples, Audio; 1TB & 2TB Project Storage; 2TB system BkUp; RME FireFace 400; Win 10 Pro 64; CWbBL 64, 
    Home PC
    AMD FX 6300; 8gb Ram; 256 SSD sys; 2TB audio/samples; Realtek WASAPI; Win 10 Home 64; CWbBL 64 
    Surface Pro 3
    Win 10  i7 8gb RAM; CWbBL 64
    Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re: SSDs the experience 2014/07/07 16:36:09 (permalink)
    Yes, I would love to get one for Hollywood strings and Brass, but it will have to wait a bit for the budget to permit.  It is nice finally having one for the boot drive though

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re: SSDs the experience 2014/07/07 19:28:39 (permalink)
    I hate you lot...    I've had to buy an 840 EVO now!!

(I got the 1Tb one...)

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

lawajava
    Re: SSDs the experience 2014/07/07 21:32:03 (permalink)
    Karyn -- I bought two 1TBs because I work with two hard drives in my laptop. Regardless, after getting it in and getting everything back in place, the experience is incredibly satisfying. Oh my gosh, it's great.

Karyn
    Ma-Ma
    • Total Posts : 9200
    Re: SSDs the experience 2014/07/08 11:57:33 (permalink)
    lawajava
    Karyn -- I bought two 1TBs because I work with two hard drives in my laptop. Regardless, after getting it in and getting everything back in place, the experience is incredibly satisfying. Oh my gosh, it's great.

Oh great!!   Now I have to go get another...

Why do y'all do this to me?

Mekashi Futo
    Get 10% off all Waves plugins.
    Current DAW.  i7-950, Gigabyte EX58-UD5, 12Gb RAM, 1Tb SSD, 2x2Tb HDD, nVidia GTX 260, Antec 1000W psu, Win7 64bit, Studio 192, Digimax FS, KRK RP8G2, Sonar Platinum

Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: SSDs the experience 2014/07/30 05:58:29 (permalink)
    If you install Windows 8 again on top of your unactivated copy it should recognize it as a "previous install" and go ahead. At least this has worked for Windows versions since XP I think. On 7 myself.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1