[CONFIRMED] Z3TA 2.1 (Windows) serious bug: waveshapers do not work in play/rec mode

Author
PopStarWannabe
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 163
2014/06/03 15:16:25 (permalink)

[CONFIRMED] Z3TA 2.1 (Windows) serious bug: waveshapers do not work in play/rec mode

EDIT:

Issue has been CONFIRMED, please read directly last post.

Please anyone try to replicate the following in Sonar, but in other DAWs as well. I have tried this in both Sonar and Reaper. The behaviour was identical.

DESCRIPTION:
A) For factory and other INSTALLED presets:

1) Load a patch that has any waveshapers assigned in the "Destination" column of the Modulation Matrix.
2) Play the patch when the sequencer is stopped (i.e. in neither rec nor play mode) and notice the effect of these on the sound. If necessary exagerate it in order to hear it (maximize any LFO or hardware control which is controlling it).
3) Start playback or record and play the patch again. THE EFFECT IS VANISHED!!!
At this point even if you move the waveshapers with the mouse, they won't work! Even if you freeze or bounce the track, it won't include their effect!

B) If you start a preset FROM SCRATCH (i.e. after hitting Initialize) - the behaviour is normal, the above mentioned doesn't happen.

WORKAROUND:

Before you start to play along with the sequencer or record, change the patch and then change it back again. Same before you freeze/bounce.
post edited by PopStarWannabe - 2014/07/30 13:52:26

- Asus P5B-E
- Intel Core 2 Quad Q8200 @2.33 GHz
- Windows 10 Pro (x64)
- RME Fireface UC (ASIO Driver)
- Sonar X2a Producer (x64)

5 Replies Related Threads

Splat
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8672
    Re: Z3TA 2.1 (Windows) serious bug: waveshapers in matrix do not work in playback or rec m 2014/06/05 22:43:43 (permalink)

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
    @48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
    PopStarWannabe
    Re: Z3TA 2.1 (Windows) serious bug: waveshapers in matrix do not work in playback or rec m 2014/07/30 13:59:01 (permalink)
    ISSUE CONFIRMED:

Hello Alex,
    Thank you for your patience while I've been looking into your problem report. I was able to reproduce the problem you described in SONAR X2a. I will confirm this behavior with our QA team before I make any final judgments.
    Best regards,
    Dean Capper
    Product Support
    Cakewalk, Inc.

EXACT SUPPORT TICKET DESCRIPTION:
    http://www.cakewalk.com/S...r=alexbelciu@gmail.com

- Asus P5B-E
    - Windows 10 Pro (x64)

Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Z3TA 2.1 (Windows) serious bug: waveshapers in matrix do not work in playback or rec m 2014/08/18 17:45:33 (permalink)

I get similar results with the two specified factory patches, but have some additional info to add.

Part 1

Starting with "Creamy Poly XS"

- I first turned off all z3ta+2 effects, lfo's and filters
    - I turned off oscillators 1 and 3
    - oscillator 2 remains at "vint saw 4", octave +1, inverted/sync, add
    - I deleted all matrix entries except for the one that caused the mod wheel to modulate oscillator 2's waveshaper
    - I changed the waveshaper function to Multipoint just because it was easier to hear than the subtle changes in the original patch

I then saved the program and reloaded it.

At this point, the bug is still active :

- things are fine for playing
    - if you record while operating the mod wheel the sound does not change as it should, but the mod wheel movements are
       correctly recorded in the track
    - then, when you play back, the sound does not change as intended.

However (1), if you freeze the synth, the audio generated contains the properly changing sound.  If you then unfreeze the synth, the track will play back properly exactly once, but will be defective the second time you try to play back.  Also, if you pause the playback of the first time and then resume playback, you also lose the mod wheel effect.

However (2), during playback, the mod wheel effect will eventually  come on by itself and will remain active (even while looping over several clips) until you pause or restart (anywhere), at which point it's lost again.  During one trial it took 92 measures of non-looping before it came on. Easiest is just to start things looping wrongly on a short clip and at some point it'll fix itself (quicker than when not looping).  It never seems to turn off by itself once it's ok (until you stop playback).

Nothing I do to z3ta+2 while it is wrongly playing back will make it fix itself any faster.

Part 2

I intialized z3ta+2, programmed a patch identical to the above and there are no problems at all.

The two fxp files are not identical, but they're pretty close.

------------

I'm now pretty much out of ideas.  I guess it would be worth programming from scratch a new patch to be identical to "Creamy Poly XS" and I may just do that (or I won't be able to sleep) but I figure it will work properly. The bug seems to be in the patches and not in the synth.

Something must be corrupted in the factory programs.  Were these programs carried over from z3ta+ ?  Maybe the version change has something to do with this.

post edited by Paul P - 2014/08/19 09:54:11

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    PopStarWannabe
    Re: Z3TA 2.1 (Windows) serious bug: waveshapers in matrix do not work in playback or rec m 2014/08/20 16:18:05 (permalink)
    Paul P
    However (1), if you freeze the synth, the audio generated contains the properly changing sound

I got a different result here. After freezing, the wave sounded exactly like the patch before freezing. If the waveshapers worked, they would be in the wave. If not, they would not.

Paul P
    However (2), during playback, the mod wheel effect will eventually  come on by itself and will remain active... ...until you pause or restart (anywhere), at which point it's lost again.

Yes, I noticed that as well, but did not include it in the support ticket submission.

The bug has been acknowledged. Click on the support ticket link I provided above. Also the guy at the technical support wrote me "This problem with the waveshapers is unique to Windows, do you have access to a Mac? If so, the waveshapers work as expected there."

The best workaround I found is embedding a programm change event for the very patch you're using, before the notes, on the midi track. Or even after that, more times, if necessary. That way, anytime the cursor will reach that event, the patch will sound as intended, even if you stopped/started playback/record before that.

- Asus P5B-E
    - Windows 10 Pro (x64)

Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Z3TA 2.1 (Windows) serious bug: waveshapers in matrix do not work in playback or rec m 2014/08/20 17:36:59 (permalink)
    PopStarWannabe
    Paul P
    However (1), if you freeze the synth, the audio generated contains the properly changing sound

I got a different result here. After freezing, the wave sounded exactly like the patch before freezing. If the waveshapers worked, they would be in the wave. If not, they would not.

That's interesting.  When I record a clip and operate the mod wheel during the recording, what is created is the midi clip which contains both the notes and the mod wheel events.  What I hear while I'm doing the recording is just the notes without any modifications by the mod wheel / waveshaper.  If I then freeze the synth, and play back the clip, I hear the notes and they change according to what was done with the mod wheel.  The frozen track always plays back correctly.  So apparently, at least on my system, the waveshaper driven by the mod wheel works properly during the freeze operation.  It's only during normal unfrozen playback from the midi clip that the waveshaper isn't driven properly, as if the mod wheel events aren't getting through (at least until things finally wake up).

If it is impossible to create a new  patch that exhibits this behaviour I can't see this as a bug in the synth.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1