Piano Roll - Disable/enable track editing for ALL tracks

Author
Loptec
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 948
2014/07/31 05:01:34 (permalink)

Piano Roll - Disable/enable track editing for ALL tracks

When editing MIDI and having several tracks visible in the piano roll it's nice that we can "disable/enable track editing" in order to edit one track without messing up notes in other tracks by accident.

However.. When you have say.. 15 midi-tracks in the piano roll and want to edit one of them it takes very long time to "disable track editing" for all the other tracks.

Is there a way of "soloing" one track for editing?

If not, wouldn't it be great if .. let's say holding down alt or ctrl when clicking "disable/enable track ediging" disabled all other tracks for editing?

Unfortunately (for me) the feature request page is down at the moment (and has been for quite some time now).. Anyone else have been thinking about this or maybe even have an actual solution for the "problem"?

SAMUEL LIDSTRÖM

DAW: Sonar Platinum (64bit) with Melodyne Studio - Controllers: Roland VS-700C, Cakewalk A-500 Pro, Yamaha P90
Desktop Audio Interface: RME HDSPe RayDAT - Laptop Audio Interface: RME Babyface Pro

5 Replies Related Threads

Leadfoot
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2817
    Re: Piano Roll - Disable/enable track editing for ALL tracks 2014/07/31 06:55:33 (permalink)
    There are 4 or 5 buttons at the top of the piano roll pane. The on farthest to the right, I can't remember what it's called(maybe "track"?). Click that, and it will have a drop down menu. Select "pick track", and then select the MIDI track you want to edit. Then that will be the only track visible in the piano roll. Hope that helps.
    Loptec
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 948
    Re: Piano Roll - Disable/enable track editing for ALL tracks 2014/07/31 07:17:17 (permalink)
    Hey, Leadfoot and thanks!

Yeah, I know about that menu. :)
    Usually when I have lots of tracks I first make the track I WANT to edit invisible, and then choose "invert tracks". By doing that all tracks are hidden, but the one I want to edit.

The thing is that I like to see the notes in the other tracks to better get a feeling of where I am and how the notes in the different tracks work together. The "disable track editing" does this by greying out the notes in all other tracks. It's this I want to achieve, without having to "disable track editing" for each track individually.

SAMUEL LIDSTRÖM

DAW: Sonar Platinum (64bit) with Melodyne Studio - Controllers: Roland VS-700C, Cakewalk A-500 Pro, Yamaha P90
    Desktop Audio Interface: RME HDSPe RayDAT - Laptop Audio Interface: RME Babyface Pro

Leadfoot
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2817
    Re: Piano Roll - Disable/enable track editing for ALL tracks 2014/07/31 08:59:00 (permalink)
    Oh, I see now. Sorry I couldn't help. Good luck!
    Steve_Karl
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2534
    Re: Piano Roll - Disable/enable track editing for ALL tracks 2014/08/01 11:24:42 (permalink)
    push the color icon (to turn it off) and make the track you want to edit hidden
    type a "V" to reverse view and you're then only seeing the track you want to edit
    when done type an"A" to show all

BUT ... I don't see why you need to disable editing for all others
    When you select a track you can edit that track and no others will be changed
    No need to disable editing for all others

Steve Karl
    https://soundcloud.com/steve_karl
    SPLAT 2017.01
    WallyG
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 833
    Re: Piano Roll - Disable/enable track editing for ALL tracks 2014/08/01 11:52:36 (permalink)
    Steve_Karl
    BUT ... I don't see why you need to disable editing for all others
    When you select a track you can edit that track and no others will be changed
    No need to disable editing for all others

Although I agree in principle, I have in the past started editing a track with other tracks visible and everything is going fine in the editing, but sometimes I hit the wrong MIDI note by mistake (similar colors) and now I'm off editing the wrong track until I realize my detour...
    Thanks for the tip though!
    Walt

Roland Jupiter 80, Roland D50, Roland Integra 7, Roland BK-7m, Yamaha Montage 6, ARP Odyssey, Excelsior Continental Artist, Roland FR-8X, 1967 Fender Jaguar, Fender Strat,  Fender 1965 Twin Reverb reissue, Selmer Trumpet, Akai EWI, Studio One 4 Professional, Melodyne Studio 4, Behringer X-Touch, RME Fireface UCX, MOTU MIDI Express XT - ADK Pro Audio Hex Xtreme 6 Core i7 4.5GHz, 64GB, 480GB SS, 3 X 3TB Hard Drives, Win 10, 2 X 27" & 1X 46" Monitors,
    My WEB site - www.gontowski.com/music
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1