Helpful ReplyThe shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicists.

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
SteveStrummerUK
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 31112
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/07/30 18:42:44 (permalink)

Great stuff guys, some really interesting thoughts.

What made me think of asking was that I was perusing the latest Gibson catalogue earlier and wondering:
  1. If there were reasons for why the vast majority of electric guitars are shaped like acoustic guitars, if they don't need to be for any specific 'tonal' reason?
  2. If the 'traditional' shape is used so often because it's comfy/ergonomic, was the reason for the introduction of Flying V and Explorer style guitars simply aesthetic, with no design consideration given to tonal properties of the shape?
  3. Was the transition from the earliest 'frying pan' electrics to more traditional styles aesthetic, or merely to get more mass into the construction to improve tone?

Music:     The Coffee House BandVeRy MeTaL

batsbrew
  • Total Posts : 10037
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/07/30 19:02:53 (permalink)
i've built (or, had commissioned) 4 custom guitars....

3 strat style, one unique hybrid.

and all of them are completely different from each other, even when the body dimensions were the same......
there are so many variables that make a guitar sound the way it does, i don't think you can boil it down to body shape.

i've played 5 2008 VOS standard les pauls, back to back, and they ALL sounded and felt different.
same models, different color finishesj (and one had a different set of pickups), but acoustically, they were all different.

same woods, etc.....

some guys want a gretsch....
and you will not get that tone out of a strat....
etc etc, ad naseum.

i think ultimately, the 'why's?' don't matter as much as the hunt and discovery of one that really grabs your interest.

figure out WHY you like a certain thing, and then hone in on the ULTIMATE version of it.

you can buy a used Squire for, what, $90?

why does a guy spend $2500 on a vintage reissue strat?
$6500 for a 2014 reissue VOS 59 les paul?
Epiphone tribute plus paul for $699?

Bats Brew music Streaming
Bats Brew albums:
"Trouble"
"Stay"
"The Time is Magic"
--
Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/07/30 19:10:03 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2014/07/30 20:38:49

SteveStrummerUK
If there were reasons for why the vast majority of electric guitars are shaped like acoustic guitars, if they don't need to be for any specific 'tonal' reason?

Guitarists are largely traditionalists.

If the 'traditional' shape is used so often because it's comfy/ergonomic, was the reason for the introduction of Flying V and Explorer style guitars simply aesthetic, with no design consideration given to tonal properties of the shape?

Yes. They were designed purely to turn heads.

Was the transition from the earliest 'frying pan' electrics to more traditional styles aesthetic, or merely to get more mass into the construction to improve tone?

The basic idea of the solid body is that it's not supposed to take excess energy out of the string and convert it to acoustic energy, so you get more sustain.

However, the mass of the body relative to the neck can theoretically change the resonant frequency of neck.

IMO, the biggest real difference between body shapes is likely due to the neck joint. For instance a Les Paul has no upper cutaway and it supports the neck up to the 17th fret while an SG (with PU's, woods and everything else the same) has a notoriously unstable neck joint.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
spacealf
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/07/30 19:48:42 (permalink)
There is a difference in the wood where a tree grows. Before they use to use wood from trees grown on a side of a hill, because it would contain more minerals. Nowadays, trees grown in Plantations do not have the mineral content as trees from the Past because of that.
Density, and all of that of the wood plays a factor I would say in it. Some cuts of the same type wood, don't weigh as much, some weigh more, different trees, different minerals from the ground while the tree was growing, climate, and all of that also.
Wood ages also, along with the paint or outer layer of the guitar and what is used to make it.

In other words, if you had a Stradivarius Violin even if electrified into an amp, I think it would still sound different than another violin not made as well, as well as variances in any of that making a violin also.

There would be no need for prized musical instruments either then.
The moisture content of the wood, the way it is processed, all of that plays into how a guitar is made.
There are some videos on utube about wood and such for guitars.

Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/07/30 20:04:29 (permalink)
I definitely agree that tone varies between instruments that for all intents and purposes are identical. I was more saying that despite that I've found I can generally know that certain characteristics will likely be present in certain body types. Like if I wanted a really bright and light tone I wouldn't pick up a big meaty Explorer. I'd reach for the SG.

But anecdotal evidence is obviously no replacement for hard science which is why I'd be curious to see an experiment done that took ALL parameters into account. Perhaps a good way would be to start with a large piece of wood that could be widdled down to various body styles somehow. Start with the largest body, do your tests, widdle it down to a medium sized body, do more tests then get down to the smallest. That way you are using the same piece of wood throughout. Unfortunately it would be very restricted as to which models could be tested on the same piece of wood because it would obviously be impossible to widdle a V or explorer into a Paul or an SG. lol
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/07/30 20:08:55 (permalink)
Proof that the guitar body isn't as important on electrics.  These little guys sound great and are SOOOO easy to take everywhere (especially on planes).  I put a set of Zackk Wylde EMG's in this one.  I must admit that at my size (6'4" & 250 lbs.) that it felt a bit like playing a toy though - lol!

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Beepster
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/07/30 20:18:30 (permalink)
One could argue though stick style guitars and basses have their own unique tonal qualities specifically because of their shape. Perhaps the near total absence of the body's resonance allows the electronics to be the focal point of the tone unimpeded.

;-p
bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/07/30 20:31:40 (permalink)
This fred is shaping up nicely.

No matter what the shape of my (bass) guitar they all come out sounding like this one.

drewfx1
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/07/30 20:42:19 (permalink)
Beepster

But anecdotal evidence is obviously no replacement for hard science which is why I'd be curious to see an experiment done that took ALL parameters into account.

Unlike classical/acoustic instruments, for the most part there's not a lot of proper academic research with solid body instruments.

I have seen some things like a university student's paper formally testing different body woods in an electric guitar.

But it really doesn't matter, because in any audio related subject any science where the findings conflict with someone's belief systems is just rejected outright or ignored, so there's nothing to be gained by doing it.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
craigb
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/07/30 20:46:54 (permalink)
I've pretty much reduced my preferences down to a guitar shape I really like (a Les Paul double-cut style with a tummy cut) made from a wood that won't break my back (like Korina - aka, Black Limba).  Then I add a neck that goes completely through the body which adds some serious sustain and better transfer of the string vibrations to the pickups (the second part of this is IMO - the first can definitely be verified).  Make the scale, number of frets and radius to my favorites and I'm happy. 

The exotic wood custom I sold to Space Cowboy was mostly made from wenge and weighed a ton, but would sustain for about two minutes - lol!

SteveStrummerUK
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/07/30 20:47:21 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby craigb 2014/07/30 20:41:28
bapu
This fred is shaping up nicely.

No matter what the shape of my (bass) guitar they all come out sounding like this one.

Except that fecker is probably in tune

SteveStrummerUK
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/07/30 20:51:58 (permalink)

Surely, if all you wanted was to transfer as close to 100% of the string vibration into the pick-up then the 'best' electric guitars would be made of materials that resonate as little as possible. Like stone, or concrete. Or whatever sort of stuff doesn't tend to vibrate sympathetically with the strings attached to it.

craigb
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/07/30 20:57:10 (permalink)
SteveStrummerUK

Surely, if all you wanted was to transfer as close to 100% of the string vibration into the pick-up then the 'best' electric guitars would be made of materials that resonate as little as possible. Like stone, or concrete. Or whatever sort of stuff doesn't tend to vibrate sympathetically with the strings attached to it.

So, suitable for hard rock then? 

drewfx1
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/07/30 21:09:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2014/07/31 10:55:15
SteveStrummerUK

Actually you insulate the strings from the body by choosing materials. Materials have an acoustic impedance and the amount of transmitted vs. reflected energy is dependent on the differing acoustic impedances of the materials.

For this reason, some of the energy from the bridge is reflected back and some of the energy coming back from the body is also reflected back to the body. For maximum energy transfer you want the acoustic impedances to be similar. Here's an illustration:

Theoretically if you can use a bridge material to create a greater difference, you will lose less vibration to the body.

You can also get better transmission by putting a material with intermediate AI between two dissimilar materials, so I'm thinking it might be possible to do the opposite and put something between the bridge and the body which would reflect more energy back to the bridge.

craigb
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/07/30 21:36:21 (permalink)
drewfx1
SteveStrummerUK

Actually you insulate the strings from the body by choosing materials. Materials have an acoustic impedance and the amount of transmitted vs. reflected energy is dependent on the differing acoustic impedances of the materials.

For this reason, some of the energy from the bridge is reflected back and some of the energy coming back from the body is also reflected back to the body. For maximum energy transfer you want the acoustic impedances to be similar. Here's an illustration:

Theoretically if you can use a bridge material to create a greater difference, you will lose less vibration to the body.

You can also get better transmission by putting a material with intermediate AI between two dissimilar materials, so I'm thinking it might be possible to do the opposite and put something between the bridge and the body which would reflect more energy back to the bridge.

RobertB
  • Total Posts : 11256
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/07/30 21:45:41 (permalink)
Beepster
 I also have an Ibanez Les Paul clone that despite the absolute arse quality of it and the extremely underpowered (non-chrome) humbuckers can be coaxed into doing the job of a Les Paul.

Temporary derail. Beepster, you might like this:

The Ibanez Deluxe 59'er on the left was one of the last LP bodies they made. She was fitted with hardware intended for the Artist series.  Super 80 pups and the artist tailpiece. Bolt-on neck but she has wonderful sustain and drive. The neck is relatively thin and she is a joy to play.
As to Steve's original question, perhaps distribution of mass may have some effect on tone. However, I'm inclined to believe the pups and general construction have more to do with it.

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
kennywtelejazz
Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7151
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/07/31 05:50:15 (permalink)
I don't have this thing anymore , it was pretty much all metal  
( the only thing wood on it was the neck and the part of the bridge the strings rested on ….the nut was probably plastic .)  
I remember that it sure weighed a lot .
imho , it sounded pretty good ..

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Beepster
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/07/31 08:11:03 (permalink)
RobertB
Beepster
 I also have an Ibanez Les Paul clone that despite the absolute arse quality of it and the extremely underpowered (non-chrome) humbuckers can be coaxed into doing the job of a Les Paul.

Temporary derail. Beepster, you might like this:

The Ibanez Deluxe 59'er on the left was one of the last LP bodies they made. She was fitted with hardware intended for the Artist series.  Super 80 pups and the artist tailpiece. Bolt-on neck but she has wonderful sustain and drive. The neck is relatively thin and she is a joy to play.
As to Steve's original question, perhaps distribution of mass may have some effect on tone. However, I'm inclined to believe the pups and general construction have more to do with it.

Hi, Robert. You seem to have one of the good ones before Gibson started suing the pizzle out of everyone. Unfortunately mine is one of the newer ones they started building in recent years and they are... well pretty cheap. Someone actually bought it for me at an auction thinking it was more valuable than it is. When they first gave it to me (nice present, eh? It wasn't even my barfday... lol) I was looking all over the place to find something out about it and stumbled across the older Ibby LP models which are apparently really nice and sought after (like the one you have) but mine did not quite match up to it. After spending a bunch more time hunting around I realized it was from the more recent runs and I think specifically it is an ART series. They go for about $300 new (whereas yours tend to fetch $700-800+). It's still a pretty nice guitar but the hardware is cheap and it doesn't have the chrome pickups which I think I'd prefer on it. The main problem with it? The damned tuners are garbage. It refuses to stay in tune even if I'm barely touching the thing. I've got some old Grovers I raided off a smashed acoustic guitar I found in the garbage years ago that will work but they aren't an EXACT match to how the current tuners are fitted. Basically both sets of tuners have those little posts/nubbies on them that fit into a tiny pre drilled hole in the head stock locking the tuner in place as it gets screwed down. The posts on the Grovers are in a different spot than the originals but will fit I think. It's just the tuner keys will be angled down toward the body of the guitar. If they don't interfere with each other I think it will make it look kind of cool. lol If not I guess I'll have to pull out my drafting ruler and try to drill some new pilot holes for the Grovers... which I really don't want to do because I don't have the best tools for that sort of thing and I'll probably do a hack job of it.

It's tone isn't as nice as my hot strat Pacifica but it's more bottomy with a bit of that crisp LP high end. I think if I can get it to stay in tune it'll be a great guitar for doubling my rhythms. It also has a pretty slick clean tone for jazzy stuff and some bluesy tones.

Honestly though I would MUCH prefer to get my hands on something like the Epi semi-hollowbody you've got there. She's a beaut!
kennywtelejazz
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/07/31 08:12:12 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby SteveStrummerUK 2014/07/31 10:56:00
SteveStrummerUK

Great stuff guys, some really interesting thoughts.

What made me think of asking was that I was perusing the latest Gibson catalogue earlier and wondering:
  1. If there were reasons for why the vast majority of electric guitars are shaped like acoustic guitars, if they don't need to be for any specific 'tonal' reason?
  2. If the 'traditional' shape is used so often because it's comfy/ergonomic, was the reason for the introduction of Flying V and Explorer style guitars simply aesthetic, with no design consideration given to tonal properties of the shape?
  3. Was the transition from the earliest 'frying pan' electrics to more traditional styles aesthetic, or merely to get more mass into the construction to improve tone?

Very good questions Steve ,  certainly a lot of food for thought . I will give some of it a shot 

a lot of people nowadays forget how truly innovative and ahead of the loop Gibson was as a company when it came to designing and producing world class highly innovative top shelf quality guitars 

A lot of the traditional Gibson guitar designs that people want and still cherish today were in place and designed by 1960 

A vast majority of the Golden Age of Guitar building and design was bound by a totally different set of values and ethics then what we have  in place today . It was a very fertile period back then in many ways .
…also there was no such thing as wood shortages 

Back in the day the market was very different , people wanted to have  good playing guitars made out of nice wood that would serve them a lifetime . 
People and guitar companies took great pride in the work that they did …regardless of the style of manufacture and market process ..(that is also true about some of todays independent's )

Leo Fender was using more of an auto factory assembly line vs Gibson doing more of a handmade at station assembly ..
both companies that I have used as an example have maintained the highest ideals regarding their designs and desire to produce guitars and instruments that would serve and last a player a lifetime ...
they just went about it in different ways .

Gibson has had a long history of producing electric guitars out of the finest woods available and this is what people wanted back then . Gibson even used really good wood on the laminates (ES 335, ES 175. ect,…)

Vintage Gibson Archtop guitars are truly a work of art , I know this first hand , I have played many different top of the line Vintage Gibson Archtops , they are very bit as good as guitars as Strads are to violins

thats, just a couple of quick thoughts / opinions on some of the topic 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

spacey
  • Total Posts : 8769
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/07/31 08:44:07 (permalink)
? What was the question?

not that I don't think the answer was known when it was asked

spacealf
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/07/31 13:27:37 (permalink)
Get your woody before wood is all outlawed to use.

http://www.gaskellguitars...ownloads/77-woods.html

Wood tones are not the most important factor in deciding tone, but they do play a large role. The same two high quality pickups in the same guitar shape would sound entirely different if one guitar were made out of plywood and the other out of maple. So, in the end, don't limit yourself to thinking that a plywood guitar will sound the same as a mahogany guitar, but don't think you need a 10-top mahogany guitar to sound great. Don't make compromises on quality, but don't spend all your money to get the right wood.

http://www.ultimate-guita...woods.html?no_takeover

Also, body shapes can affect tone - an arched top guitar will sound different than a flat top guitar. Variety is the key to finding out, first hand, the subtle nuances between wood tones.

RobertB
  • Total Posts : 11256
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/08/02 00:10:09 (permalink)
Beepster,
My Ibanez was built on October of '77 according to the serial #.. The lawsuit, at least with Ibanez, was settled in June of that year. Note the headstock does not look like a Gibson headstock. I bought her in the Spring of '78 at a great little music store in downtown Denver that I stumbled onto between classes when I was going to college. Sadly, they are long out of business.
The tuners seem to be pretty good, and have always been stable. Actually, back in Denver, all of my guitars stayed in tune. Here in Fort Worth, the wild swings in humidity have a more dramatic effect, and it is much more critical to check tuning before each recording session. The wood goes crazy down here.
As to the Epi, yes, she's a lovely thing. She has a decidedly different sound and personality from the Ibanez.

i initially though that because if it's semi-hollow body construction, it didn't really come into play for this discussion.
But after some thought, I have to wonder.
I have been playing both of these guitars directly into my interface, and through various amp sims. I am listening through headphones. So, to the best of my knowledge, external acoustics are not a factor. What I am hearing is what the pickups..pick up.
Steve, you mentioned isolating sympathetic vibrations, but now I have to wonder just how much  of  given guitars' tone has to do with sympathetic vibrations being fed back to the strings from the guitar body.
My Riviera and Ibanez have clearly different resonant qualities. Granted, the pups are very different, but the body does seem to be a factor.
Vibrations do tend to follow fairly mathematical paths, and I can see how a radical shape such as the flying V just might have an effect on tonal qualities, as Beep has suggested.
I'm just thinking out loud here, but in theory, shape should not matter. However, collective experience seems to suggest otherwise.
Are we back where we started?

My Soundclick Page
SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
drewfx1
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/08/02 02:06:38 (permalink)
RobertB
However, collective experience seems to suggest otherwise.

Collective experience has long ago been proven (via collective experience!) to be unreliable. 

kennywtelejazz
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/08/02 06:08:35 (permalink)
as far as the collective experience goes , heres how I tend to deal with it 

if you happen to find yourself trapped in a roomful of a thousand people chanting 2 + 2 = 3

I would say that you only have a few possible choices 

1, You could walk up to the podium and state plainly into the mic  2 + 2 = 4 and suffer the wrath of the collective ...

2, You could sit there and tough it out for as long as you can and keep the truth of your knowledge to your self .

3 , You can find a different room and associate with like minded people that place a high value on truth ...

let me tell you a little story  , so , grab them boots and put them on…..
(high level of B S content  )

as a young man , Albert Einstein was under the mistaken impression just like everybody else that  E  = E, G # B ….
during our first interplanetary guitar lesson ... I was able to show him how to play E = MC 2 on the guitar 
and that folks is how I was able to become a citizen of The Planet Earth  

Kenny
post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2014/08/02 06:59:20

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

spacey
  • Total Posts : 8769
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/08/02 09:47:27 (permalink)
RobertB

Well.....when it started there were a few statements and a question.

SteveStrummerUK 
I notice that most electric guitars follow roughly the same design as acoustic and classical guitars.

Now I understand that the orthodox shape and the capacity of an acoustic's body has traditionally been chosen to maximise the volume of the strings and to create the 'tone' of the instrument. I also understand that the choice of wood and other materials in an acoustic guitar (as well as the type of strings used), as well as how the strings are played are also crucial to the tone.

I also realise that the type of wood and method of construction (e.g. bolt-on or neck-through), as well as variables like pick-up and string choice affect the tone of an electric guitar.

But my question is, naïve as it may be, does the shape of an electric guitar body make and real difference to sound of an instrument? 

I don't see electric guitars following the same design as acoustic and classical guitars but "roughly" makes it all so questionable.

Simple answer to the question: Well, again there are to many undefined terms that make it all so questionable:
"electric guitar", "real difference"

The only question, as I choose to understand it: Does the shape of a solid body electric guitar make a difference to the sound of the instrument?

My answer is no. The shape of a solid body electric guitar doesn't make a noticeable difference to the sound for people to recognize by only hearing it...sight unseen.
If the answer was "yes" then people would be able to tell the shape of three of the most popular solid body guitar shapes by listening- sight unseen....and they can't.

In fact there are factors about a solid body electric guitar that have a much larger impact on tonal characteristics and I'm not sure most people can hear the difference "sight unseen" by only listening.
For example;
Scale length is a major factor- can you tell what the scale length is on solid body electric guitars by listening?
Pickups are a major factor- can you tell what brand and type that may be on a solid body electric guitar by listening? ( I included "brand" only because I have read people to make claim that they can hear the difference between brands.)

IMO the only factors that matter about the shape of a solid body guitar to the player are "feel" and "looks".
"Ugly" and "doesn't feel right" will send a buyer walking and not every body feels and sees things the same. Good thing too. That keeps it fun.

Wookiee
Rrrrugh arah-ah-woof?
  • Total Posts : 13306
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/08/02 10:07:52 (permalink)
Interesting question Sir Strummy.

spacealf

In other words, if you had a Stradivarius Violin even if electrified into an amp, I think it would still sound different than another violin not made as well, as well as variances in any of that making a violin also.

I watched a fascinating program about Stradivarius Violin's apparently there is quite a bit of significance in the wood.  The wood used apparently has a very consistent grain which is quite dense.  If you examine an early Strad compared with his later violins you can see this quite easily.

I also watch a program about Les Paul regarding his experiments with electric guitars, his initial experiments concluded that the best material for the neck and the body was a piece of iron train track.  Though he did find this to be a tad impractical.  This may be why my LP is so heavy.

Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.
Karma has a way of finding its own way home.
Primary, i7 8700K 16Gigs Ram, 3x500gb SSD's 2TB Backup HHD Saffire Pro 40. Win 10 64Bit
Secondary  i7 4790K, 32GB Ram, 500Gb SSD OS/Prog's, 1TB Audio, 1TB Samples HHD AudioBox USB, Win 10 64Bit
CbB, Adam's A7x's - Event 20/20's, Arturia V6, Korg Digital Legacy, Softube Modular, Arturia Keylab-88, USB-MidiSport 8x8 
jbow
Max Output Level: -0.2 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7601
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/08/02 10:33:41 (permalink)
But my question is, naïve as it may be, does the shape of an electric guitar body make and real difference to sound of an instrument?

I don't think so. I think it is more the type of wood and other factors. For instance the Les Paul Classic vs the Les Paul Studio. I've had both and have used different pickups in the Studio. The Classic has the maple cap like the Standard, the Studio is all mahogany. The Studio is darker and some pickups that sound good in an LP with a maple cap are muddy sounding in the all mahogany body, at least in this small study only using two guitars.
Then I guess you have to consider the Stratocaster and the Telecaster, they sound different but they have different pickups. I wonder if a Tele with Strat pickups would sound like a Strat? I don't know.
I have an all mahogany with a burl maple cap and two P-90s, it has a 25.5" scale neck and it sounds nothing like a Tele.
Personally, I think the body shape of a guitars is what it is because it is similar to what we are used to a guitar looking like and is what people want to see, more marketing than anything. Plus, it needs to sit on your leg so you don't have to play standing up all the time. People have prejudices and may balk at something that does not look like "a guitar".

It is a good question. I don't think that the shape matters very much. For some players even the wood or pickups don't seem to matter much. Billy Gibbons sounds like himself no matter what he plays, he uses 8s for strings but has a thick tone. Buzz Feiten will not use or design a guitar with body contours like a Stratocaster because he says they cause some skeletal problems, I don't remember what right now but he says guitars should be like the LP or Tele. Personally, I can only play a LP for a short while because the edge begins to hurt my inner arm and my abdomen (I mostly play sitting down).
My favorite acoustic guitar to just pick up and play is a Taylor "Big Baby". It is an OK guitar but nothing approaching a great guitar BUT it is a 15/16th scale guitar and cheap enough that I don't worry much about bumping it or leaning it against the wall on the porch... and IT IS COMFORTABLE for me to play. I have a dreadnaught that sounds better and I can actually play it a little better, as far as picking, pull offs, etc and if I record guitar I prefer it but not for just enjoyment. I tend to go to a Stratocaster for casual play but may use an LP or other guitar if I'm doing something beyond playing for my own enjoyment, they DO sound different but (with and electric) I really don't think it is the body shape that makes a difference. I'm not really sure how much the body shape matters with an acoustic guitar. The bracing, the top and sides, the nut, the age of the wood, I think, make more difference than the shape of an acoustic too. I want a 000 guitar and I want an Epiphone ES-339 PRO. I want both because of their smaller body size, I expect either to sound as good as a comparable bigger guitar, but they will fit me better and at the end of the day I will sound like me no matter what I play.

J

Sonar Platinum
Studiocat Pro 16G RAM (some bells and whistles)
HP Pavilion dm4 1165-dx (i5)-8G RAM
Octa-Capture
KRK Rokit-8s
MIDI keyboards...
Control Pad
mics. 
I HATE THIS CMPUTER KEYBARD!
kennywtelejazz
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/08/02 11:06:33 (permalink)
Yes sir ,  this sure is a healthy discussion / thread ….
when it comes right down to it …sure , I love traditional guitars made out of good wood ….
the thing is , most of the time none of that really means a whole lot to me …
a good deal of my time playing guitar is working out new songs or musical ideas …for a good deal of that activity I might just use a nylon string or a Squier Tele ...
I found out a long time ago when I was much younger  …that a well played song on a cheap P O S guitar will always trump a crappy player zooming up and down the neck of an expensive top of the line "fill in the brand guitar "...
for the record ..I've been on both ends of that example 

Kenny

post edited by kennywtelejazz - 2014/08/02 11:17:35

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/08/02 11:13:12 (permalink)
spacey
? What was the question?

not that I don't think the answer was known when it was asked

BECAN, can I have yours?

I mean.... guitars, can I have yours?
kennywtelejazz
Re: The shape of solid-body electric guitars - a question for the luthiers/audio physicist 2014/08/02 11:31:28 (permalink)
I love the expression on the cows face after Jack hits the first note 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZNk76_4lds 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1