Loom Additive Synth

Author
dmbaer
Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2585
2014/08/09 17:53:57 (permalink)

Loom Additive Synth

Just bought this for 50 bucks - like I really need *yet another* synth.  However, there happened to be a groove3 tutorial on it - a good one lasting two and a half hours.  This instrument has some totally cool innovation.  If you have groove3, you might at least want to check out the seven minute intro video.

You can also get a bundle consisting of Loom, Vacuum Pro and Velvet for a hundred bucks.  Vacuum Pro is a pretty conventional subtractive synth that doesn't bring anything new to the table.  Velvet is modeled electric pianos.  If you're just getting started, this would be a good deal, but veteran gear collectors probably won't find it all that compelling.  But Loom, on the other hand was too intriguing for me to pass up.

Details:

Air Music Technology is offering three of their most popular instruments for just $49.99 each or $99.99 for all three:
Or take home all three for just $99.99 a $260 saving:

You supposedly need the code Loom49 to get the sale price, but I didn't have to supply it - it just came up with the sale price at the start.

15 Replies Related Threads

Jeff Evans
    Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5139
    Re: Loom Additive Synth 2014/08/09 20:26:44 (permalink)
    This is a lovely sounding additive instrument. I recently came into posession of a hardware Kawai K5000W which is an additive monster and it has a very unique sound. Loom sounds very similar. Listen to the audio demos they are very cool. And a third the price right now is extra value.

If you have not got anything of an additive sound in your setup this is a marvelous way to get into it. Interesting thing about additive instruments is that they definitely create sounds no others do and the bottom end is always very controlled and does not build up even with multiple overdubs. Once you start layering additive sounds amongst sample based and analog synths and the more conventional digital synths (PCM but interesting programming options eg Roland JD800) very nice sounds result.

Additive synths fit into your mix very easily too. Additive instruments can emulate analog sounds very well too as well as deeply complex sounds. (I have discovered all the analog sounds on the K5000W and they are amazingly convincing!) Synthmaster is another great VST instrument as well.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Chandler
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 477
    Re: Loom Additive Synth 2014/08/10 01:14:20 (permalink)
    How is it compared to Harmor? Also does it require iLok or any other difficult copy protection?

My soundcloud page Chandlerhimself
    My Youtube page
    dmbaer
    Re: Loom Additive Synth 2014/08/10 15:41:02 (permalink)
    Chandler
    How is it compared to Harmor? Also does it require iLok or any other difficult copy protection?

I have Harmor and I think it's the brilliant product of a mad scientist.  Harmor's documentation is thoroughly inadequate.  It might be one of my favorite synths if I understood it better.  Or maybe it just needs a comprehensive Groove3 course like Loom has.

But there are problems with Loom.  On the positive side, it looks like the most straightforward additive instrument I have (others are Alchemy, Harmor and the other ImageLine additive instrument, the hame of which momentarily escaptes me).  I installed it yesterday - but I have not authorized it yet.  There's an unlock code that you get upon purchase but I don't know if there are difficult hoops to jump through, other than it appears to be easier if your DAW is connected to the net. 

Here's what I just wrote in KVR Loom thread about the install:

The installation process is absolutely appalling.  It doesn't ask which versions you want (32-bit, 64-bit, AAX), it just installs them all.  Screw you if you want to conserve disk space.  And of course it doesn't ask where you want the dlls.  Furthermore, it puts the 32-bit and 64-bit VSTs in the same directory - under Programs (x86).  Then to add insult to injury, you must search for the dll in order to add the path to your DAW's VST location list (or to move it to your well-ordered system of VST organization).

What a load of crap!  It may be that these guys, having been primarily a ProTools development shop, don't have a clue as to what the world outside of ProTools expects in the way of installation, but if they're selling products, they need to get a clue.  I'd be very unlikely to make another purchase from them.

Oh yeah, and the documentation gets a C-minus, and that's only if I'm feeling charitable.
    SmokeyJ628
    Max Output Level: -74 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 809
    Re: Loom Additive Synth 2014/08/10 17:04:24 (permalink)
    I clicked on your link for Loom earlier today, and when i saw AIR Music was the company, I closed the browser.

I've heard nothing but horror stories about their installation process, so I didn't even look at the product. I'll add your experience to the long list of negative comments about getting their products installed and authorized.
    Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re: Loom Additive Synth 2014/08/10 18:03:05 (permalink)
    I hate installers like that.  Like many music producers don't have multiple harddrives, and their own setup folders.  

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

stevec
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11546
    Re: Loom Additive Synth 2014/08/10 20:14:43 (permalink)
    The installer is definitely less than fresh.   But I've had Loom for almost a year now and really like it.  And I've actually used it a few projects which is often the real litmus test.   Aside from the sound, which IMHO is really good and different, watching the partials dance around on-screen is a trip.  

SteveC
    https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
    http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Jeff Evans
    Re: Loom Additive Synth 2014/08/13 19:02:03 (permalink)
    I decided not to go with this in the end.  After doing some research I found the install is very bad and not well designed and even capable of breaking things on your system so beware.

The synth itself is great I think but the problem is that it was originally designed for Pro Tools only so the install is still based on one program only and installing into one place only.  What they have not done well here is adapt this install over to VST approaches and many DAW's installs hence making it a bad idea.  It requires you to go in and find unwanted or unneeded files and removing them etc and also placing the DLL files manually where they have to go.  Not good.

I have got a hardware Kawai K5000 which is also a very amazing sounding additive instrument.  After comparing and listening to the Loom demos and the Kawai I am still hearing the Kawai sounding a little better, more robust and generally fatter.

If you have got Native 'Prism' by any chance you will see very strong similaraties between it and Loom. 'Prism' also has some very cool features as well in how harmonics are modulated.  More so than Loom in some areas.  'Prism' is very deep.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    stevec
    Re: Loom Additive Synth 2014/08/13 19:11:48 (permalink)
    Getting it registered was the biggest issue for me, and that took a few back and forths with the AIR/Sonivox folks.
    But beyond that I really haven't had any issues.  

OK, there was one...  I had installed some plugin (maybe UVI) that uses also ilock software and when I cancelled that install it essentially broke the ilock for Loom as well.   A simple reinstall fixed it.   

SteveC

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
    Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
    Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Kroneborge
    Re: Loom Additive Synth 2014/08/13 20:15:31 (permalink)
    Maybe if we all email them about the install, they will update it.  Little things like these can really hurt sales.

Mathew

Hip Hop

BreakBeats

Jeff Evans
    Re: Loom Additive Synth 2014/08/13 21:51:21 (permalink)
    The website says iLock is NOT required for use. I would not even go there if it was.

stevec
    Re: Loom Additive Synth 2014/08/14 00:02:30 (permalink)
    Ah...  Maybe it was a Pace license.  I know it was the same scheme as a different freebie plugin that I liked, but a year ago may as well be a decade in my memory capacity.  

SteveC

Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);

dmbaer
    Re: Loom Additive Synth 2014/08/14 17:18:40 (permalink)
    Kroneborge
    Maybe if we all email them about the install, they will update it.  Little things like these can really hurt sales.

If there was anything else in their catalog I was interested in, I might be motivated.  But there's not.  Loom is the cream of the crop by a long measure, IMO.  I do like the synth in spite of the lousy install and scant documentation, though.
    Kroneborge
    Re: Loom Additive Synth 2014/08/14 17:34:18 (permalink)
    I actually haven't had any problems with my ilok, though it sucks having to pay the yearly service fee to make sure nothing happens to your liceneses.

Mathew

Hip Hop

BreakBeats

stevec
    Re: Loom Additive Synth 2014/08/14 22:45:49 (permalink)
    dmbaer

If there was anything else in their catalog I was interested in, I might be motivated.  But there's not.  Loom is the cream of the crop by a long measure, IMO.  I do like the synth in spite of the lousy install and scant documentation, though.

+1   I actually do have Eighty Eight from a sale that happened shortly before AK went on sale, and while it's nice I find myself using it mainly for layering when needed.   Loom, OTOH, I use as-is since I really like what it does.

SteveC

Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);

Chandler
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 477
    Re: Loom Additive Synth 2014/08/15 07:26:57 (permalink)
    I've been thinking about it and I think I'll pick this up. I have synthmaster already, but it's additive synth features aren't anywhere near as deep. From the clips and demos it seems to be able to do modern digital sounds really well and the bass sounds solid. I hope the licensing doesn't make me regret my decision.

My soundcloud page Chandlerhimself
    My Youtube page
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1