Clone the cwp (Whole project) file SOLVED !!!!

Author
jwh
Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 754
2014/08/16 06:46:56 (permalink)

Clone the cwp (Whole project) file SOLVED !!!!

Hi,
I've just finished a new song and I'm at the mixing stage, I really like the bass 
and the guitar sound I have, can I clone this song (Whole project) and eliminate the audio, and
just be left with the settings on the individual tracks ? And if so, how do I do this ?

Thanks
John 
post edited by jwh - 2014/08/17 10:50:32

i7/16GB RAM, Win 10 X 64, Sonar Platinum
Komplete Audio 6, HagstromF200P, Ibanez Talman, Fender Bass, Rokit 8 Monitors, Maschine MK2, TC Voicelive Touch, Spark LE  

http://www.reverbnation.com/thesubroom 
http://www.facebook.com/thesubroom   

9 Replies Related Threads

Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: Clone the cwp (Whole project) file 2014/08/16 08:34:18 (permalink)
    Select all audio clips, delete, save with different name.
    You can also save as a project template if you mean you want to use it for new projects. Or eliminate all tracks except the bass and guitar and save those (individually or together) as track templates.
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Clone the cwp (Whole project) file 2014/08/16 11:48:11 (permalink)
    If I was doing this, I would do a Save As PRIOR to deleting data from the mixed version of the project - just seems safer to do all of the deletions and such where there is NO way to potentially have wiped out good data.

I would then select all the tracks and then click on Tracks and then on Wipe Track, which will get rid of any track content present in the selected tracks, but leave the FX bin and track properties for each selected track alone.

Here is the link to the Track Wipe functionality:

http://www.cakewalk.com/Documentation?product=SONAR%20X3&language=3&help=Menus2.106.html

If you wanted to create multiple track templates, you could select the tracks to be part of a given template, and export those selected tracks as a track template, repeating for however many track templates you wanted to create out of that project.

I DO have a question, and am not currently in a position to test out something.  It is my understanding that Sonar creates some sort of internal connection to audio clips in the project, and the path to those clips.  If Save As is used to create a project, and the Copy All Audio option is not checked, and Sonar then would not copy over any audio to the new location, and then the tracks are wiped in the newly-saved project, and Sonar is internally pointing back at the original audio clips, would a cleanup of the audio end up deleting those original audio clips?  I would hope the answer to this would be no.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    sock monkey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re: Clone the cwp (Whole project) file 2014/08/16 17:27:44 (permalink)
    As mr Bone has said,,, "BACK UP FIRST" 

Then as said just delete the audio and midi from the track view keeping the blank project. 
    I would then save it using "Save As"  my " Blank- Cool Bass sound " CWP or CWT,

Always use Per Project Folders. And back up to a second Hard drive using "Save As" 

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
    Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: Clone the cwp (Whole project) file 2014/08/16 18:04:08 (permalink)
    Backing up first is a good idea, I doubted recommending it because you then have to save twice and it might be confusing, and it's not technically necessary for the procedure.
    jwh
    Max Output Level: -75 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 754
    Re: Clone the cwp (Whole project) file 2014/08/17 10:56:06 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the info guys, I've now got what I was after, thanks again !!!

John

i7/16GB RAM, Win 10 X 64, Sonar Platinum
    Komplete Audio 6, HagstromF200P, Ibanez Talman, Fender Bass, Rokit 8 Monitors, Maschine MK2, TC Voicelive Touch, Spark LE  

http://www.reverbnation.com/thesubroom 
    http://www.facebook.com/thesubroom   
    jm24
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2127
    Re: Clone the cwp (Whole project) file 2014/08/17 19:23:18 (permalink)
    Using save-as instead of save, every few minutes, creates immediate backup files.

My procedure: GreatSong 0814 a,  next save is GreatSong 0814 b.

After having done a backup: Delete all the unwanted tracks and save-as to a NEW folder, not in the current folder.

Name the folder as GreatSong 2, the cwp as GreatSong 0814 c, make sure, as instructed above, to copy audio to the new folder.

This way ALL the unwanted tracks, and ALL the related wav files will be left behind. 

And life will be good.

Never use save, it is destructive. Destruction should ALWAYS require confirmation. Yet Save does not.
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Clone the cwp (Whole project) file 2014/08/17 19:41:52 (permalink)
    jm24
    This way ALL the unwanted tracks, and ALL the related wav files will be left behind.

Which usually means the difference between being able to back up a song to a CD-ROM instead of a DVD-ROM, too. Saves hard drive space. Same taste, less filling.

Never use save, it is destructive. Destruction should ALWAYS require confirmation.

I'm not totally sold on that, having clicked on "Are you SURE? Are you really, truly, cross-your-heart-hope-to-die SUPER-SURE?" boxes too many times.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    sock monkey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re: Clone the cwp (Whole project) file 2014/08/18 00:18:42 (permalink)
    jm24
    Never use save, it is destructive. Destruction should ALWAYS require confirmation. Yet Save does not.

Well that's good advice for all computer users. All software uses both Save and Save as. 
    That would be pretty darn messy to always use save as and keep 440 copies of every word document, song, photo and so on.. I don't think you meant it that way.  I'm not that indecisive. As I proceed to work on anything, I don't look back. I am SAVED! I move on and I'm SAVED again... I then Back up, but the word is wrong because I'm not actually going backwards,,I'm freezing in place,  I'm preserving a nice space in time that deserves remembering, at least until the next time I back up.. 

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
    Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

jm24
    Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2127
    Re: Clone the cwp (Whole project) file 2014/08/18 09:12:50 (permalink)
    Yes. Sometimes I gotta clean the mess and take out the trash.

I save-as word, excel, sonar,.... and can have a dozen or more copies of a file before I consider it finished, or do not need the old files. I then delete them. But usually not the most recent.
    This is sorta how Windows restore point functions.

I first learned to do this to maintain copies of code in spreadsheets. During the process formulas were changed and then tested and found the previous version was better, hence the multiple versions of the file were a happiness to behold. 

And occasionally I have clients calling about how to recover a word file that will not open. Sometimes I can fix it. I encourage all of them to get the save-as habit.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1