Helpful ReplyHow Can I "Mono-ize" My Bass Tracks?

Author
AdamGrossmanLG
Max Output Level: -62 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1436
2014/08/16 21:12:40 (permalink)

How Can I "Mono-ize" My Bass Tracks?

Hello,

I have a bunch of tracks with bass and kick drum sounds coming from softsynths.  These synths are stereo.  I want to make my bass sounds to be mono.  What is the best method to achieve this?

Thank You,
alewgro
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: How Can I "Mono-ize" My Bass Tracks? 2014/08/16 21:34:17 (permalink)
There are several ways. You can use Channel Tools as a plug-in and pan the individual sides of the stereo channel anywhere you want, including to center.

Or from the Clips menu choose "Convert to Mono." Careful, though; this just sums the channels together, so they might distort when combined. You may need to choose Process > Gain and lower the gain before converting to mono.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
AdamGrossmanLG
Re: How Can I "Mono-ize" My Bass Tracks? 2014/08/16 21:42:58 (permalink)
Thank you Anderton.  I was hoping more for making a mono synth track or something.   I remember in older versions you could insert either a stereo or mono track.   
Anderton
Re: How Can I "Mono-ize" My Bass Tracks? 2014/08/16 21:58:06 (permalink)
Maybe I'm not understanding what you want. Mono can be either a track with one channel, or a stereo track with two channels that each contain the same audio. The audible results are the same. Some plug-ins have difficulty with mono signals but that's the only difference that might get in your way.

What is it exactly you want to accomplish? Have the track exit the synth in mono, mix it as a mono track, or...?

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: How Can I "Mono-ize" My Bass Tracks? 2014/08/17 00:33:06 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby alewgro 2014/08/19 21:14:44
If this is a soft synth then change the track to mono. If you're using a Simple Instrument Track (i.e. a single synth track which combines audio and MIDI) then you'll have to split the track into an audio and MIDI pair before you can make the switch. It's kind of crazy that Sonar removes the stereo interleave button on Simple Instrument Tracks, but what can you do. Just right click on the track, select "Split Instrument Track," then on the audio half of the track in the console (or in the inspector), there should be a stereo interleave button right above the mute button. It will show a two circle icon for stereo, and a one circle icon for mono.

If you then want to recombine the audio/MIDI pair into a Simple Instrument Track again, just right click on one of the tracks and select "Make Instrument Track." It's worth remembering that to combine an audio & MIDI track into a Simple Instrument Track, both tracks must point to the same synth. So if you change the routing of either track after splitting them, you won't be able to recombine them unless you change the routing back.

However there are other options too, in addition to the ones Craig mentioned above. There are plugins which can center bass frequencies below a certain threshold on a stereo track. TP Basslane is a free one that works very well and you can download it here: http://www.toneprojects.com/products/plug-ins/basslane/

A plugin like this would be ideal if, for example, you have a cool sounding bass patch that has some interesting stereo information in the higher frequencies. You could set the threshold on TP Basslane to something like 150Hz, then everything below that frequency (i.e. the bass part) would be perfectly centered while the higher frequency stuff would retain its stereo placement. You can really give your tracks a lot more "oomph" with this plugin, I love it. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
fitzj
Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1487
Re: How Can I "Mono-ize" My Bass Tracks? 2014/08/17 09:53:51 (permalink)
Anderton
There are several ways. You can use Channel Tools as a plug-in and pan the individual sides of the stereo channel anywhere you want, including to center.

Or from the Clips menu choose "Convert to Mono." Careful, though; this just sums the channels together, so they might distort when combined. You may need to choose Process > Gain and lower the gain before converting to mono.

Thanks for that tip Craig. Didn't know that could happen.
Anderton
Re: How Can I "Mono-ize" My Bass Tracks? 2014/08/17 11:30:24 (permalink)
fitzj
Anderton

Thanks for that tip Craig. Didn't know that could happen.

Specifically, use Process > Apply Effect > Gain to drop the gain by 3dB prior to converting to mono.

perfectprint
Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 862
Re: How Can I "Mono-ize" My Bass Tracks? 2014/08/17 13:59:08 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby alewgro 2014/08/19 21:15:13
change the tracks input from a stereo out to just a Left Out from the synth. 

i was was testing IK's Quad Imager yesterday vs Boz Digitals Mongoose. Both are multi-band stereo controls. In the end I preferred Quad Imager as it has 4 bands vs. 2, and doesnt boost the bass when monoing it. 

Sonar Platinum                      

daveny5
  • Total Posts : 16934
Re: How Can I "Mono-ize" My Bass Tracks? 2014/08/17 15:10:08 (permalink)
alewgro
Thank you Anderton.  I was hoping more for making a mono synth track or something.   I remember in older versions you could insert either a stereo or mono track.   

You still can. To create a mono track, select a mono input on your soundcard, like Audio L or Audio 1. To create a stereo track, select a stereo input, like Audio LR, Audio 1+2 or Audio Stereo (depending on your soundcard). 

Dave
Computer: Intel i7, ASROCK H170M, 16GB/5TB+, Windows 10 Pro 64-bit, Sonar Platinum, TASCAM US-16x08, Cakewalk UM-3G MIDI I/F
Instruments: SL-880 Keyboard controller, Korg 05R/W, Korg N1R, KORG Wavestation EX
Axes: Fender Stratocaster, Line6 Variax 300, Ovation Acoustic, Takamine Nylon Acoustic, Behringer GX212 amp, Shure SM-58 mic, Rode NT1 condenser mic.
Outboard: Mackie 1402-VLZ mixer, TC Helicon VoiceLive 2, Digitech Vocalist WS EX, PODXTLive, various stompboxes and stuff. 
Controllers: Korg nanoKONTROL, Wacom Bamboo Touchpad
jm24
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2127
Re: How Can I "Mono-ize" My Bass Tracks? 2014/08/17 19:14:42 (permalink)
alewgro
Hello,

I have a bunch of tracks with bass and kick drum sounds coming from softsynths.  These synths are stereo.  I want to make my bass sounds to be mono.  What is the best method to achieve this?

Thank You,
alewgro

To be way clear:
You have ONE midi track sent to a synth
The return from the synth is stereo
You have not rendered the synth output to a wav file (freeze)
You want the return from the synth to be mono

What synths?

b rock
  • Total Posts : 8717
Re: How Can I "Mono-ize" My Bass Tracks? 2014/08/17 19:40:11 (permalink)
sharke ... A plugin like this would be ideal if, for example, you have a cool sounding bass patch that has some interesting stereo information in the higher frequencies. You could set the threshold on TP Basslane to something like 150Hz, then everything below that frequency (i.e. the bass part) would be perfectly centered while the higher frequency stuff would retain its stereo placement. You can really give your tracks a lot more "oomph" with this plugin, I love it.

Sharke, I like to do that kind of processing inside Rapture, using the Width control.  Any Cake synth featuring Width is fair game, but the multiple filters & extensive DSP routings in Rapture offer a ton of options.

There's a quick example around page 7 in the Wide Load - Stereo Wavetables in Rapture 1.1/LE document.  Very versatile.
Loptec
Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 948
Re: How Can I "Mono-ize" My Bass Tracks? 2014/08/18 04:03:54 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby alewgro 2014/08/19 21:16:20
alewgro
Hello,

Thank You,
alewgro

Alright. Here's the simplest way of getting a mono signal from a softsynth:

First: Make sure the input of the audio track (connected to the softsynth) only gets a mono-signal from the instrument, by choosing either Left or Right from one of the instrument's outputs:

Second: You also need to make the audio track mono. It's possible to have both stereo and mono clips on one single track. It's the output of the channel that decides how they will be played ... Do this by making sure the Interleave button (found on every audio track in the inspector and the console (wide strip)) is set to mono:

(If you don't do this and later freeze the synth, you'll get a stereo file even though you've just selected a mono source as input from the instrument)

SAMUEL LIDSTRÖM

DAW: Sonar Platinum (64bit) with Melodyne Studio - Controllers: Roland VS-700C, Cakewalk A-500 Pro, Yamaha P90
Desktop Audio Interface: RME HDSPe RayDAT - Laptop Audio Interface: RME Babyface Pro

jm24
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2127
Re: How Can I "Mono-ize" My Bass Tracks? 2014/08/18 08:54:50 (permalink)
Most of the synths I have present a setup dialog that allows the creation of stereo or mono outputs.

Since you have to audio, insert the synth again and set created outputs to mono.
Then output the current midi track to the new instance of the synth.

Which synths are you using?

I think the percussion sounds are mono. The bass sound might actually be stereo depending upon the sample, and/or effects added in the synth patch

: a good tool to at least always insert on the master mix bus:
http://www.bozdigitallabs.com/product/panipulator/

This plug can flip L/R and it has a MONO switch. Good for all kinds of analysis.
post edited by jm24 - 2014/08/18 10:05:55
brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re: How Can I "Mono-ize" My Bass Tracks? 2014/08/18 09:58:43 (permalink)
I copy a bass track to another track and use a roll-off cross-over filter (an EQ with the high-end rolled off) on it. Convert the new track to mono. Then use a high-pass filter (another EQ withe the low-end rolled off) on the original track to block the low-end, the same low-end you want on the mono track. Use a gentle slope between the two and see that the filters are generally pretty close to each other. I use a -3 or -6db roll-off for each one. They should overlap evenly, and adjust to ensure all notes are heard.

As a test, if you have a bass, or can use a bass-note synth, in a new set of tracks you can play/record all the notes and adjust these options as necessary so that all notes remain the same volume while listening to the mix in stereo.
That can help better tune the cross-over frequency and roll-offs.

Beware, though, that when you listen to your mix in Mono for mastering purposes, the low bass notes may be louder after making these changes.

You can also try something like this: http://www.nugenaudio.com/monofilter-professional-bass-management-mastering-plugin-aax-au-vst_25#

I will use this pretty often on bass, where I want the low end centered (frequencies that are generally non-directional), but pan the mids and highs of the bass to the left or right for placement or effect.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
AdamGrossmanLG
Re: How Can I "Mono-ize" My Bass Tracks? 2014/08/19 21:26:42 (permalink)
Thank you everyone for the help!   I don't like to bounce my softsynths to audio until I am ready to do a final mix-down, so what I want to do is have the bass be mono while it is playing from the softsynth.   I will do the mono interlace tip which sounds great!  I appreciate the help from everyone!
Bristol_Jonesey
  • Total Posts : 16775
Re: How Can I "Mono-ize" My Bass Tracks? 2014/08/20 12:35:42 (permalink)
I would, and usually do, just use Channel Tools as Craig suggested earlier - pull both the width controls to the centre and you're done

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
scook
Forum Host
  • Total Posts : 24146
Re: How Can I "Mono-ize" My Bass Tracks? 2014/08/20 13:32:05 (permalink)
In addition to Channel Tools, X3 Producer bundles the Nomad Factory BT Stereo Imager ST2S-3 which has a Stereo to Mono preset
stevec
  • Total Posts : 11546
Re: How Can I "Mono-ize" My Bass Tracks? 2014/08/21 09:03:17 (permalink)
^^^^

I sometimes prefer this one for simpler cases.

SteveC
https://soundcloud.com/steve-cocchi
http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=39163

SONAR Platinum x64, Intel Q9300 (2.5Ghz), Asus P5N-D, Win7 x64 SP1, 8GB RAM, 1TB internal + ESATA + USB Backup HDDs, ATI Radeon HD5450 1GB RAM + dual ViewSonic VA2431wm Monitors;
Focusrite 18i6 (ASIO);
Komplete 9, Melodyne Studio 4, Ozone 7 Advanced, Rapture Pro, GPO5, Valhalla Plate, MJUC comp, MDynamic EQ, lots of other freebie VST plugins, synths and Kontakt libraries

Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1