[Solved] Corrupted Bundle/Work Files - Please Help!

Author
Voda La Void
Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 723
2014/08/19 16:37:41 (permalink)

[Solved] Corrupted Bundle/Work Files - Please Help!

So I just went through all of my bundle archives I had burned onto CD's and DVD's to get them loaded back as work files for remixing, tracking and other editing and when I attempt to read this one particular bundle file I get an error 'Not A Cakewalk Format File' after it tries to read the file.  It is absolutely a Cakewalk bundle file, and has a bunch of audio bundled in there that I really need.  It is the only file on that CD, so I'm not so sure it isn't a problem with the burning process (burned about 15 years ago).  

Is there some way to rescue this file?  I can't believe that all of that audio data is just gone now, because of some corruption or something with the bundle part of the file.  

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...

4 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Corrupted Bundle/Work Files - Please Help! 2014/08/25 08:36:09 (permalink)
    Sorry about that. It could be the CD or the bundle. Several of us have experienced bundles getting corrupt for some reason, and with a little bad luck, 15 years is sometimes too much for a CD.
    Did you move the file to your HDD before trying to open it? If not, I think you should try that.
    Otherwise, be it the CD or the file, I'm afraid you're out of luck, sorry.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Voda La Void
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 723
    Re: Corrupted Bundle/Work Files - Please Help! 2014/10/11 18:35:38 (permalink)
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Sorry about that. It could be the CD or the bundle. Several of us have experienced bundles getting corrupt for some reason, and with a little bad luck, 15 years is sometimes too much for a CD.
    Did you move the file to your HDD before trying to open it? If not, I think you should try that.
    Otherwise, be it the CD or the file, I'm afraid you're out of luck, sorry.

Hey just wanted to say thanks, that worked great.  Just moved it to my HDD and it opened right up, no issues.  Can't believe i wrestled with that so long without thinking of it, ha ha.  Thanks again!  So grateful. 

Voda La Void...experiments in disturbing frequencies...
    Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: Corrupted Bundle/Work Files - Please Help! 2014/10/11 20:45:11 (permalink)
    Just a word of caution...you might not be so lucky next time. The shelf life of a CD varies dramatically depending upon ambient temperature, humidity, and the manufacturing process. Writable CDs have shorter lives than commercially-available CD-ROMs because the writing process is very different.

Although people have reported problems with bundles, I have yet to hear of a case where someone saved a bundle file, opened it immediately thereafter to check for data integrity, and not have it open or be corrupted. Long-term, even the cells in flash RAM are subject to deterioration. If a bundle opened after saving but doesn't open years later, the problem is not with the bundle format.

The main problem with a bundle file is the same problem as a zip file - if just one bit is missing, the whole thing will likely be trashed. Saving a project file and its associated audio means that even if there is media corruption you probably won't lose the whole thing.

Remember the old adage..."Digital data isn't real unless it exists in at least two places."

FYI, of all the optical media options, Blu-Ray is considered the most robust according to several studies regarding media longevity.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Paul P
    Max Output Level: -48.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2685
    Re: Corrupted Bundle/Work Files - Please Help! 2014/10/11 22:35:26 (permalink)
    Anderton
    FYI, of all the optical media options, Blu-Ray is considered the most robust according to several studies regarding media longevity.

It doesn't hurt that they can hold at least 25 gb per disc.  I'd given up on backing up to dvd's for a lot of stuff, now I can save most of it in a few minutes.

Sonar Platinum [2017.10], Win7U x64 sp1, Xeon E5-1620 3.6 GHz, Asus P9X79WS, 16 GB ECC, 128gb SSD, HD7950, Mackie Blackjack
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1