Helpful ReplyLast night, for the first time...

Author
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
2014/08/20 00:13:14 (permalink)

Last night, for the first time...

It all started after I moved my desk a bit closer to the wall, just a couple of inches (there's still a good 2 1/2 ft between the back of the monitors and the wall behind) to make room for a bigger MIDI controller. When I sat at my desk afterwards, I noticed things sounded a bit different, but my ear seems to re-adjust rather quickly.

But that got me curious, and I wanted to test things.

For a while now I've been considering getting bigger monitors ( 8" instead of 5") but in such a smaller room, there's always the inevitable potential for boom-iness. At any rate, I'm set on finally starting room treatment asap; that's the next priority. Particularly if I intend to work on stuff that's a bit heavier on bass.

know from experience that acoustics could be a lot better but I'd never really have to deal with any issue so far. As a matter of fact, since I moved into this room, my mixes have gotten relatively better, if only for the fact that they seem to translate better on other systems.

But last night I did something I never do - I pushed the volume higher than I've ever done (which was still pretty reasonable by other people's standards). Things changed a bit but unfortunately, my ear is quick to adapt... Then I rolled my chair back a few feet...

Et voilà! There was that big muddy mess and all the junk the room could throw in the mix. And that was nasty. I don't want to have to mix through that.

Obviously, I'm left with as many question as to how much of an improvement bass traps will make (I have no doubt that even just "better" always helps), whether or not 8" would be appropriate in this environment. But I guess that working at very reasonable levels probably has a lot to do with my mixes translating relatively well...

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: Last night, for the first time... 2014/08/20 02:45:32 (permalink)
Isn't there a tool around here that can help with whatever space you're mixing in?  ARC or something like that?

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: Last night, for the first time... 2014/08/20 02:51:35 (permalink)

Once I've taken care of room treatment as good as I can, I'll certainly ARC it. :)

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
Makzimia
Max Output Level: -85 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 258
Re: Last night, for the first time... 2014/08/20 11:03:03 (permalink)
Hey Rain, I found out IsoAcoustic stands and a JBL MSC1 did that for me. Also, an app now that plays music back through whatever speakers, measures the waves in the room and makes auto adjustments to play back without the bad stuff. When it's done you can then read what it did and setup a main EQ for those. Definitely never going to underestimate a well setup room. Even if when pushed you can compensate. 

Cheers

Tony Carpenter
Castille Productions
Sonar Platinum//Cubase 10 Pro//Logic Pro X 
Mac Pro Dual Xeon 6 core 3.46ghz
32GB RAM
UA Apollo Quad FireWire, UAD2 Quad, X-touch, NI 12 Ultimate Collectors, Montage 7

sharke
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Last night, for the first time... 2014/08/20 13:37:55 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby Rain 2014/08/20 15:22:45
Imagine your monitors are short sighted. ARC2 is like putting spectacles on them.

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1