Man, this is taking a long time...

Author
Gary McCoy
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 215
2014/08/19 23:53:12 (permalink)

Man, this is taking a long time...

I recorded a rehearsal at a remote location using a Zoom R16.  I want to move the 8 tracks over to Sonar.  The tracks are huge, lasting over 4 hours (I just turned on the recorder and let it run).  The R16 records data on SDHC cards.  So, I remove the card, plug it into my computer's card reader, select the file I want to import into X3 and it goes to work.  I did not time the transfer, but I estimate it actually took longer than the 4 hours of audio that is on the track.  But the track did get imported into X3. At this rate, it will take me days to transfer 8 tracks. 

Tomorrow, I will start actually recording in Sonar as I play back the audio.  At least I can record 2 tracks at once, so I will need only to run 3 more passes.

Can this be right?  Any suggestions? 

5 Replies Related Threads

Ruben
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 472
    Re: Man, this is taking a long time... 2014/08/20 00:17:49 (permalink)
    I would have transferred the files to the hard drive first, then imported them into Sonar.

Sonar will have a harder time reading and importing from an SD card than from a hard drive due to transfer speed.

slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Man, this is taking a long time... 2014/08/20 00:18:47 (permalink)
    The bottleneck may be a USB 2 card reader. If this is going to be a common thing, you might want to get a USB 3 reader. That assumes that you have a USB 3 port on your computer. Many internal readers are actually connected to a USB header on the motherboard, and it is commonly USB 2 even if you have USB 3 ports on the board.
    sock monkey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re: Man, this is taking a long time... 2014/08/20 10:35:31 (permalink)
    Is the SD card a type 10? They are faster. And does the Zoom have a USB port? that would also be faster. And I agree with just drag and drop the files to your computer first. 

Wave lab or an audio editor that does multi track would open those files within a few seconds. Sonar is slow because it renders the file int it's format. It might be faster if your project is set to same format as the Zoom ( if possible) 
    Cut and paste each song to Sonar. 
    I've not done 8 tracks but my Tascam DR 40 does 4 tracks and this is what I do with big files. 

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
    Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

rcrees
    Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 392
    Re: Man, this is taking a long time... 2014/08/20 12:47:26 (permalink)
    Ruben
    I would have transferred the files to the hard drive first, then imported them into Sonar.

Sonar will have a harder time reading and importing from an SD card than from a hard drive due to transfer speed.

Agreed.  Transferring huge files from SD cards can be very slow, especially when the system is busy doing other things as well... I'm pretty sure that once you get the files onto your hard drive, SONAR will have no issues importing them.

http://www.rcreesmusic.com
    Dell XPS 8300, Intel Core i7, 8gigs ram, AMD Radeon 6670, Two SATA II 500gig hard drives, one 250gig external USB drive, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2, M-Audio Keystation 61es, Windows 7 Home Premium, SONAR X3 Producer, many sample libraries including EastWest PLAYx64 Gold Complete, RA, Stormdrum and Choirs
    Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: Man, this is taking a long time... 2014/08/20 12:47:42 (permalink)
    You may also be accidentally (or purposely) sample rate converting at the same time.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1