Is this a hard drive upgrade?

Author
Awes
Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 154
2014/08/25 15:05:27 (permalink)

Is this a hard drive upgrade?

My PC currently has a standard HD, 1TB SATA drive, 6Gb/s, 64mb cache & 7,200 RPM)

Now I'm aware SSD are much better than standard HD but what are you're thoughts on hybrid HD's? I'm able to get a hybrid SSHD, 1TB, SATA 6Gb/s, 64mb & 8gb SSD, 7,200 RPM.

Most of the figures seem the same, RPM, cache etc. but is a hybrid SSD worth the £50 upgrade from a  normal HD?

Thanks 

Sonar Platinum; Focusrite Scarlett 8i6
PC: Windows 7/64; AMD A8;16GB RAM
My SoundCloud

6 Replies Related Threads

dwardzala
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1470
    Re: Is this a hard drive upgrade? 2014/08/26 08:04:26 (permalink)
    What are you going to use it for?  Operating system? Tracking? Sample libraries?

I have a hybrid HD for my OS on a laptop.  It came with the laptop so I have no reference to compare it to, but I don't believe that it improved performance that much in booting or loading programs.

I am not sure if it would provide any benefit to tracking or sample libraries - hopefully others with more knowledge/experience can chime in.

Dave
    Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
    MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
    Win10 x64 Home
    Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
    M-Box Mini v. 2
    Win 10 x64 Home
    Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
    https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

fireberd
    Max Output Level: -38 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3704
    Re: Is this a hard drive upgrade? 2014/08/26 09:14:54 (permalink)
    If I were to "upgrade" from a standard hard drive, it would be to a SSD, not a hybrid.  When I built my new system, 2 years ago, I used an SSD for the OS and Sonar, with a hard drive to store projects, etc.  The SSD drive "zings along" for what its used for.  I have a dual boot system, Win 7 and Win 8 and have separate SSD's for each OS.

I have a backup system with conventional drives and there is a noticeable difference both in boot up and accessing programs.

"GCSG Productions"
    Franklin D-10 Pedal Steel Guitar (primary instrument). Nashville Telecaster, Bass, etc. 
    ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero M/B, i7 6700K CPU, 16GB Ram, SSD and conventional hard drives, Win 10 Pro and Win 10 Pro Insider Pre-Release
    Sonar Platinum/CbB. MOTU 896MK3 Hybrid, Tranzport, X-Touch, JBL LSR308 Monitors,  
    Ozone 5,  Studio One 4.1
    ISRC Registered
    Member of Nashville based R.O.P.E. Assn.
    Awes
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 154
    Re: Is this a hard drive upgrade? 2014/08/26 11:46:35 (permalink)
    dwardzala
    What are you going to use it for?  Operating system? Tracking? Sample libraries?

I have a hybrid HD for my OS on a laptop.  It came with the laptop so I have no reference to compare it to, but I don't believe that it improved performance that much in booting or loading programs.

I am not sure if it would provide any benefit to tracking or sample libraries - hopefully others with more knowledge/experience can chime in.

fireberd
    If I were to "upgrade" from a standard hard drive, it would be to a SSD, not a hybrid.  When I built my new system, 2 years ago, I used an SSD for the OS and Sonar, with a hard drive to store projects, etc.  The SSD drive "zings along" for what its used for.  I have a dual boot system, Win 7 and Win 8 and have separate SSD's for each OS.

I have a backup system with conventional drives and there is a noticeable difference both in boot up and accessing programs.

Thanks for the info. I only have 1 HD in my PC which has OS, Sonar, projects etc. on. As much as I'd love a SSD, for a bedroom hobby and a perfectly working HD, I cannot justify forking out the money on a SSD. More so that todays purchases include EWQL Pianos, Digital Slate compressors and Miroslav!!!  Just wondered for the cheapness of the Hybrid - £60 for the same size as my HD, whether it was worth buynig and dumping everything onto that and using HD as a backup.

Sonar Platinum; Focusrite Scarlett 8i6
    PC: Windows 7/64; AMD A8;16GB RAM
    My SoundCloud
    drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re: Is this a hard drive upgrade? 2014/08/26 13:06:37 (permalink)
    I'm currently aware of 2 types of hybrid drives. My recollection is the one you listed uses the small (8GB) SSD essentially for caching and I wouldn't expect any benefit for audio. 

The other type combines two drives in one enclosure and they appear as two separate drives. That really only makes sense to me if you only have one available drive bay, like on a laptop or tiny desktop.

Otherwise, if you have space and a free SATA port in your machine I'd just add a small SSD as a second drive and put the OS and programs and whatever else fits on it and audio on the HD. The 100-250GB sizes are increasingly affordable, even for the major brands like Samsung.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    dwardzala
    Max Output Level: -61 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1470
    Re: Is this a hard drive upgrade? 2014/08/26 15:08:43 (permalink)
    I will suggest this - if you can, get the second drive and put your OS and Sonar on one drive and use the second for tracking (i.e. store your projects and record your audio to it).  That will provide a noticeable improvement in performance.

The second drive could just be a standard 7200 rpm drive, too and you'd get the benefit.

Dave
    Main Studio- Core i5 @2.67GHz, 16Gb Ram, (2) 500Gb HDs, (1) 360 Gb HD
    MotU Ultralite AVB, Axiom 49 Midi Controller, Akai MPD18 Midi Controller
    Win10 x64 Home
    Sonar 2017.06 Platinum (and X3e, X2c, X1d)

Mobile Studio - Sager NP8677 (i7-6700HQ @2.67MHz, 16G Ram, 250G SSD, 1T HD)
    M-Box Mini v. 2
    Win 10 x64 Home
    Sonar 2016.10 Platinum

Check out my original music:
    https://soundcloud.com/d-wardzala/sets/d-wardzala-original-music

PH68
    Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 564
    Re: Is this a hard drive upgrade? 2014/08/28 17:36:00 (permalink)
    I had everything on a 2TB normal HDD.
    Recently got a new SSD (a Crucial 256Gb). It cost about £70 from Overclockers.
    The Crucial SSD came with some software, by Acronis, that made it easy to copy the OS to the new SSD.
    So, the SSD now has just the operating system and the program files etc. and takes up less about 150Gb.

All my personal files, Sonar projects, documents, music, pictures, videos, etc.. are still on my 2TB HDD.

Is there any difference?
    Yes... everything runs faster, programs load faster etc.
    It's like having a new PC.
    In fact, from cold switch-on to usage now takes less than 45 seconds!!

The SSD is definitely worth it.

~ Cakewalk ~ Arturia ~ Waves ~ Overloud ~ Windows ~
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1