Helpful ReplyI got a phone call ... UPDATE: went to jam

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
spacealf
Max Output Level: -54 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2133
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/02 22:59:14 (permalink)
Oh, I see. Probably just get up and play, you should know the songs type of band.
But even a high-school band, has a beginning, a structure, and an end. Ah, but then I suppose - they are all much older now, and they were younger all back then - whatever that song is with "we" in it, instead of "they".

Nope! Can't think of that song, but I know some people play it.
However it goes!

Randy P
Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3070
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/03 10:30:26 (permalink)
Probably a good move taking a pass Herb. Every band I've gotten an invitation from over the last 8 years or so has been pretty much what you described except for one. The last call I got was from a very established country/rock band, and they just worked too much for me. Nice gig though. All pros, with great gear. Quality PA and lights. Roadies too. The pitch was, just show up with your guitar and everything will be set and ready to go. Good money also. I just couldn't see myself gigging 8 to 12 times per month. Those days are gone for me.

The others were nothing more than jam bands. No groove or magic.

My wife asked me a few years ago if I would ever play out again, and I told her it would have to be an almost perfect situation similar to the last band I had. All pros. Play 2 to 4 times per month of nothing but quality gigs. And the music would have to stuff I absolutely love to play. Every song, with no fillers. Pretty tall order.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
Guitarhacker
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/03 14:44:37 (permalink)
rsp@odyssey.net
Probably a good move taking a pass .........

nothing more than jam bands. No groove or magic.

.... it would have to be an almost perfect situation similar to the last band I had. All pros. Play 2 to 4 times per month of nothing but quality gigs. And the music would have to stuff I absolutely love to play. Every song, with no fillers. Pretty tall order.

Randy

My thoughts exactly. I would play in a New York minute with a band of real pro's who take the time to make sure  the music is right.... play a few gigs a month and play good music all night that keeps the interest of the players and the audience. Sadly, most local bands fall far short of those expectations.

My last band was a house band gig for 2 and a half years.....good band. Nice and tight musically, but we played every-single-weekend and after the first year there....I think we took off just a few weekends.....we asked for more time off the following year, but that's still a lot of playing.....and don't forget Wednesday mights were rehearsal nights to learn new tunes.... a huge time commitment. But I was so much younger then....

I joked with my wife the other night that the folks on the Cakewalk forums had ruined me because now, in the recording world..... details matter and are not easily passed by with a flimsy excuse....

I'm glad to see others here feel similar with regards to this topic.   At my age, I don't need to play gigs and I don't want to play music that bores me.

EDIT: ( 9-4-14) I made the phone call yesterday informing my friend that I was passing on the opportunity to join the group.
post edited by Guitarhacker - 2014/09/04 07:37:51

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
chulaivet1966
Max Output Level: -83 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 384
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/05 14:14:00 (permalink)
GuitarhackerAm I being too picky? Too strict? Expecting too much?

Ha...the will I or won't I commit to a band endeavor conundrum. :)
I feel for ya Guitarhacker.

After reading and agreeing with the comments/pro/cons of this opportunity....IMO...I'd say NO on the above.
Personally, I would never commit to any band endeavor again.
The inevitability of drama, one or more not pulling their weight, having to play sappy overdone covers, someone always showing up late, not caring about the musicianship of songs or performance, dealing with fragile egos of those that don't have their chops up to snuff, members not practicing at home between rehearsals, keeping the gigs lined up where the band can actually do better than break even....I don't need to elaborate further.

A band is a 3-5 part marriage and I don't baby sit adults or desire to have band talks anymore.
Even if I were remotely considering that dreaded band commitment it would have to be a mainly original band with a few select covers that I must like and enjoy playing. (We all know the odds of that being the case. :) )

Of course, I still like writing, recording and jamming with others.
Note...my take on it is coming from a jaded 67 year old who has been there and done that just like many here.
I would never discourage the desire of the younger at heart to give it a try.....it will be a great experience in many ways.
Plus, we all play for different reasons.

(BTW...so we know who we're talking to I'm chulaivet1966 on the BIAB forum.  Wish I could change my very dated login name here)

Carry on....
post edited by Quazelar - 2014/09/05 14:23:11

www.soundclick.com/wayneevansproject
Thank you for listening....
Military experience in case I'm not alone: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=78446
Semper Fi - USMC 1965-1969 RVN
My respect to all that have served honorably.
Starise
Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 7563
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/05 14:33:31 (permalink)
Herb, if I were you I would appreciate being asked, and it must have felt good to know you still have what it takes. Sometimes it takes a look back to appreciate where you are.

The right umph behind songs on the web and you actually get more listeners that way...and you made them at your lesure.

Intel 5820K O.C. 4.4ghz, ASRock Extreme 4 LGA 2011-v3, 16 gig DDR4, ,
3 x Samsung SATA III 500gb SSD, 2X 1 Samsung 1tb 7200rpm outboard, Win 10 64bit, 
Laptop HP Omen i7 16gb 2/sdd with Focusrite interface.
 CbB, Studio One 4 Pro, Mixcraft 8, Ableton Live 10 

www.soundcloud.com/starise

Twitter @Rodein

Danny Danzi
  • Total Posts : 5810
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/05 15:59:48 (permalink)
craigb

That's when you respond "you can have all the Freebird you want in the men's bathroom!" :-P

My Site
Fractal Audio Endorsed Artist & Beta Tester
spacealf
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/05 16:08:16 (permalink)
Is that like the Big Bird, or just a White Bird?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRKtPCr8v_4

It's a Beautiful Day.

craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/05 17:07:28 (permalink)

Hey look!  Someone gave Mike Tyson the bird!

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
chulaivet1966
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/05 17:19:13 (permalink)
spacealfhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZRKtPCr8v_4  It's a Beautiful Day.  

Wow...great cut/album.
I can't tell you how much that kindles so many memories from my post USMC dark days.
This live cut is more uptempo than the album version but still quite enjoyable.

I may have to purchase the DVD....it's your fault. :)

Thanks for posting that one.
Back to topic....

Military experience in case I'm not alone: http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/member.php?u=78446
Danny Danzi
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/05 17:55:18 (permalink)
In my opinion Herb, if you are a true entertainer, when you stop playing with a band (especially if the last band you were in was a good one that just took it's course and had to end...and ended on a good note) a part of you dies. At least that's how it's always been for me. I've never settled for less so all the projects I've been in have been good ones thankfully. In that situation, when you are away from the band thing, you just feel like something is missing in your life. You don't know what "that something" is until you play in another good band.

That said, it all has to be worth it. Money wise, travel, extent of commitment, and everything else that goes with you and your time. The other side of the coin is.....though it's awesome to spend time with wife/family, it's also nice to do a little playing. If it's not every single weekend and it gives you the ability to still have a life, make some money, have some fun doing stuff you like and wifey is cool with it, go with it. Best of luck!

-Danny

My Site
chulaivet1966
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/05 18:18:54 (permalink)
Danny Danziwhen you stop playing with a band (especially if the last band you were in was a good one that just took it's course and had to end...and ended on a good note) a part of you dies.

I agree....and I've said to many over the decades that "there's no drug in the world like being in a live band and  playing original music on stage to a receptive audience"....no substitute for it.

But, one has to be aware (remember, for many of us) of the time vampire that being in a working band really is along with the countless aspects of making it work and keeping it actually enjoyable which is the imperative....IMO.
Carry on....

Danny Danzi
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/05 21:46:21 (permalink)
Quazelar
Danny Danziwhen you stop playing with a band (especially if the last band you were in was a good one that just took it's course and had to end...and ended on a good note) a part of you dies.

I agree....and I've said to many over the decades that "there's no drug in the world like being in a live band and  playing original music on stage to a receptive audience"....no substitute for it.

But, one has to be aware (remember, for many of us) of the time vampire that being in a working band really is along with the countless aspects of making it work and keeping it actually enjoyable which is the imperative....IMO.
Carry on....

Well said. Even cover bands are cool if you get the right situation. The vampire thing is definitely a no no once you get out of your 30's. I'm in a situation now to where we play 1-2 times per month (3 times on the rare occasion) on Saturday only. The pay is great, I'm with great friends and we love every minute of what we're doing. (Van Halen tribute band)

-Danny

My Site
Guitarhacker
  • Total Posts : 24398
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/06 09:20:52 (permalink)
Yes... I totally agree. Had the band been professional and tight in their musicianship both individually and as a group, and with a repertoire  of decent songs... hey you can be a cover band and still play good stuff, I might have considered joining up.

So for now, I shall continue to write and record and work on my chops and skill set.

Danny:  A Van Halen tribute band..... now THAT sounds like fun.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
chulaivet1966
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/06 11:31:39 (permalink)
Danny DanziWell said. Even cover bands are cool if you get the right situation. The vampire thing is definitely a no no once you get out of your 30's. I'm in a situation now to where we play 1-2 times per month (3 times on the rare occasion) on Saturday only. The pay is great, I'm with great friends and we love every minute of what we're doing. (Van Halen tribute band)-Danny

Ha....I was 33 (1980) when the last band I was in (3 piece light rock - 80% original) finally gave up the ghost because of one member having an affair, divorce, etc. drama.
I started in live bands in 1970 and I just couldn't take it anymore.
Now, since 1980, I just write/record in my own domain when and for how long I want. :)

It seems you are in an ideal situation so I hope the synergy and enjoyment continues to prevail.

GH...."Had the band been professional and tight in their musicianship both individually and as a group, and with a repertoire  of decent songs... hey you can be a cover band and still play good stuff, I might have considered joining up."
Yep....I'd be hard to please regarding band mates meeting those criteria and I certainly would hold myself accountable to the same expectations.

A good weekend to all....

jamesg1213
  • Total Posts : 21760
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/06 12:58:08 (permalink)
Quazelar

The inevitability of drama, one or more not pulling their weight, having to play sappy overdone covers, someone always showing up late, not caring about the musicianship of songs or performance, dealing with fragile egos of those that don't have their chops up to snuff, members not practicing at home between rehearsals

+1 to all of the above..plus band members refusing to attempt any kind of stage craft, and endlessly fiddling about with amp settings/mics/tuning up between numbers while any kind of enthusiasm from the audience gained during the previous number quickly evaporates...

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
spacealf
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/06 14:03:58 (permalink)
Quazelar that seems to be the only song on the album I remember, except for something like "Time Is" (for those who wait), whatever that song is. The rest - just don't remember.
(White Bird - It's a Beautiful Day).
There is the album version of the song over at utube also there.

But playing live - ?????? really not need by me, each to their own though.

post edited by spacealf - 2014/09/06 14:07:16

chulaivet1966
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/06 14:28:38 (permalink)
spacealf
Quazelar that seems to be the only song on the album I remember, except for something like "Time Is" (for those who wait), whatever that song is. The rest - just don't remember.

Yeah...it's taxing my neurons too.
I do recall Time Is and Girl With No Eyes.
The album is on youtube so I'll probably give a listen today to refresh what's left of my memories.

Thanks....back to topic.

chulaivet1966
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/06 14:31:14 (permalink)
jamesg1213plus band members refusing to attempt any kind of stage craft, and endlessly fiddling about with amp settings/mics/tuning up between numbers while any kind of enthusiasm from the audience gained during the previous number quickly evaporates...

Ha....oh yes...used to really pvss me off and I recall all to well weed hopper. :)

spacealf
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/06 19:39:11 (permalink)
Whether you play live or not, that is up to you.

Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
Re: I got a phone call from a friend....and now.... 2014/09/07 16:33:01 (permalink)
Personally I feel being in a band is a combination of all the good things mentioned here but for me the music is also very important.  I don't play that much know but my last band was a tribute show with Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison and Elvis.  A great show but most of all the band was incredible.  The opposite of what Herb had experienced. Really seasoned players who knew the music backwards but played it so well and so perfectly. They were keen to get it right even after doing it a long time. It was just a joy to hear them.

Every time I did a gig the music would make the hairs on my body stand up many times during the show.  It was the music and the way it was played which really made the gig for me.  They were also nice guys too so that is just a bonus.  I think you need both.

You don't want the music to be amazing and the guys have terrible personalities either. That is not much fun. So Herb, keep your standards up high.  If you thought they were a bit sloppy then they were I would say. There are bands out there where the music takes a top priority.  Any type of music it does not matter.  You just have to find one that is all.  PS We did a fantastic version of Mustang Sally too. (we used to do a dance bracket after the show)

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1