Everything you know is a lie...

Author
Rain
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 9736
2014/08/28 22:42:48 (permalink)

A few days ago my younger brother sent a link to listen to his latest project. To say that I wasn't expecting much in terms of production values is an understatement. I am well aware of his creativity though and we have lots of similar tastes, so I was curious to hear where he was at since he left his band. 

I've never known him to show much interest in the technical aspects of recording, how to mix a song and all. At least, not on such a level as I who've been obsessed with that stuff for over 10 years. As far as I know, the guitar player in their band did all the DAW stuff...

Furthermore, I knew that he was working in a less than adequate environment, using his old HiFi system for monitoring, as well as a pair of consumer grade headphones. 

Man, was I in for a surprise! The low end was tight, the mids clear and uncluttered and the high just right. None of the typical flaws you'd expect from someone working under such conditions. I actually thought he had had his mix professionally mastered. I wrote back asking and he told me he'd just used Fruity Loops and the Multiband compressor on the bus, said that he was mindful of the bass due to poor monitoring. 

I'm still shocked...

post edited by Rain - 2014/08/28 23:25:02

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...

9 Replies Related Threads

craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: Everything you know is a lie... 2014/08/28 23:22:46 (permalink)
    Hey...  Wait a minute!  Are you telling the truth here??? 

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Rain
    Re: Everything you know is a lie... 2014/08/28 23:31:11 (permalink)
    craigb
    Hey...  Wait a minute!  Are you telling the truth here??? 

I don't know. 

kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: Everything you know is a lie... 2014/08/29 02:59:13 (permalink)
    nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to how creative a musician can be in less than ideal conditions or using what some folks consider a second rate DAW 
    I heard some 4 track cassettes a long time ago that Steve Vai had done …
    they smoked anything I was able to do using SONAR 5 at the time I heard them  unfortunately for me...
    I might add...that still may be the case 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

Rain
    Re: Everything you know is a lie... 2014/08/29 03:14:29 (permalink)
    kennywtelejazz
    nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to how creative a musician can be in less than ideal conditions or using what some folks consider a second rate DAW 
    they smoked anything I was able to do using SONAR 5 at the time I heard them  unfortunately for me...

Kenny

That's the thing, uh? I dare not check Vai's stuff out...

Here I am trying to justify spending more money on the home studio - which almost looks like Avatar by comparison to my brother's set up - and I hear his stuff... It comes like a slap in the face (though I'm finally beginning to hear little things - but I really had to search for them. Almost.).

Hemul
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 38
    Re: Everything you know is a lie... 2014/08/29 03:50:07 (permalink)
    I am dissapointed, I came here expecting a tasty conspiracy theory!
    But at least your post gives me hope for my own cheap-side home studio produciton :)

Sonar X3 (studio, Steam distribution) / Music Creator 6 touch (Steam distribution). Rapture & Dimension Pro. Win 7 x64. 8 GB RAM.  CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K. System HD: 128 GB Samsung 830 SSD. Program / Project HD: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200.12. Audio interface: Tascam US 122 MKII. Onboard sound: Realtek ALC887.
    Rain
    Re: Everything you know is a lie... 2014/08/29 04:02:13 (permalink)
    Hemul
    I am dissapointed, I came here expecting a tasty conspiracy theory!
    But at least your post gives me hope for my own cheap-side home studio produciton :)

Conspiracy theory? Not anywhere within a 10 feet radius of anywhere I stand...

kennywtelejazz
    Max Output Level: -3.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7151
    Re: Everything you know is a lie... 2014/08/30 04:15:05 (permalink)
    Rain
    kennywtelejazz

Kenny

That's the thing, uh? I dare not check Vai's stuff out...

Here I am trying to justify spending more money on the home studio - which almost looks like Avatar by comparison to my brother's set up - and I hear his stuff... It comes like a slap in the face (though I'm finally beginning to hear little things - but I really had to search for them. Almost.).

Hello Rain , it's funny how we both were having a thing going on with our brothers and music production ...
    my brother K...started out working at Dick Charles recording studio NYC as an intern
    within a few years he was taken under the wing of a Film producer who specialized in documentaries
    at the production facility in NYC where my brother worked he ran and operated a 48 track recording studio
    then he moved out West when the production company relocated it facilitys in Cali ...
    I don't want to do my brothers resume , but i will keep it lite
    K... did work with a lot of top people on locations as a boom operator and a sound man ….I used to get a kick watching his name roll across the credits on a couple of well know television shows that are still popular….
    I left NYC in 97 and moved out West to open a recording studio with him ..he was getting a lot of offers to score music for lower budget independant films and adult movies..lol
    K... played Keys when he wasn't doing production work for hire...
    when I stayed with him in North Hollywood  he had enough equipment just in has apartment alone to open a full fledged production studio…
    he had a sweet deal going on with the main production studio he worked for …he was family and every time they upgraded their gear they said to him do you want any of this older stuff ...
    on top of that he had a long standing friendship / long term working relationship with a composer name Paul Baillargeon .
    Paul would fly into LA to score the music for select episodes of Deep Space Nine , Voyager , and Enterprise ...
    One of the things Paul did over the years was to keep everything he needed to score his music at my brothers apt 
    so he didn't have to flying w all that stuff…
    in addition to letting my brother keep and own all the equipment that he used to score the shows ..keys , synths moduals ...hardware ...software..sequencers , drum machines …ect ect ….
    He didn't like staying in hotels / motels ..so he actually scored many of the episodes of Deep Space Nine , Voyager , and Enterprise …he did in my brothers apartment  
    I'm the only person in the world that can tell you this ..and how do I know this …
    because when I was staying with my brother I had to sleep out in my van when ever Paul showed up with his assistant to score the shows.. 
    Paul was civil to me , he knew my situation ..he knew I was a musician and K…'s brother ...
    so I stayed out of his way when ever he was in town ( truthful I would have been an unwelcome distraction ) 
    he did throw me a bone on one visit …he scored an episode of Voyager and let me watch him and his assistant work for a couple of hours ….
    I was grateful he let me sit there and watch , I got to see things first hand …
    what happened after that which i didn't see was they took the score to the studio and had a full orchestra play the score…cool stuff ..a few weeks later I got to catch the episode on tv…..
    anyway I moved out and got my own place …I never did get to open up a studio with my brother 
    he was always busy working on film locations doing sound …as a boom operator or sound man ..
    in some way I felt that he was a little embarrassed by me …he was very well connected and he knew how to play the game …as we all know I can be somewhat of a loose cannon and a little outspoken  
    a few years passed and eventually my brother introduced me to SONAR … he was running SONAR 1 ….
    we stayed in touch and hung a lot ..even dated a couple of the same girls ….eventually got married had a few kids
    some how he wound up  back on drugs after 10 + years of being clean …. it was sad watching him loose everything 
    my brother K….passed away in a motorcycle accident the day Whitney H….died...
    sorry to share all this here…it seemed like the right thing to do 

Kenny

Oh Yeah , Life is Good .
    The internet is nothing more than a glorified real time cartoon we all star in.
    I play a "Gibson " R 8 Les Paul Cherry Sunburst .
    The Love of my Life is an American Bulldog Named Duke . I'm currently running Cakewalk By BandLab as my DAW .

https://soundcloud.com/guitarist-kenny-wilson

https://www.youtube.com/user/Kennywtelejazz/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=427899

soens
    Max Output Level: -23.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5154
    Re: Everything you know is a lie... 2014/08/30 07:52:44 (permalink)

Then what you're saying is, everything I don't know is the truth, right?!

So I'll never know the truth because as soon as I know it, it becomes a lie...

Talk about a conspiracy.

Life is so confusing.
    Rain
    Re: Everything you know is a lie... 2014/08/30 15:33:20 (permalink)
    kennywtelejazz

Hello Rain , it's funny how we both were having a thing going on with our brothers and music production ...
    my brother K...started out working at Dick Charles recording studio NYC as an intern
    within a few years he was taken under the wing of a Film producer who specialized in documentaries
    at the production facility in NYC where my brother worked he ran and operated a 48 track recording studio
    then he moved out West when the production company relocated it facilitys in Cali ...
    I don't want to do my brothers resume , but i will keep it lite
    K... did work with a lot of top people on locations as a boom operator and a sound man ….I used to get a kick watching his name roll across the credits on a couple of well know television shows that are still popular….
    I left NYC in 97 and moved out West to open a recording studio with him ..he was getting a lot of offers to score music for lower budget independant films and adult movies..lol
    K... played Keys when he wasn't doing production work for hire...
    when I stayed with him in North Hollywood  he had enough equipment just in has apartment alone to open a full fledged production studio…
    he had a sweet deal going on with the main production studio he worked for …he was family and every time they upgraded their gear they said to him do you want any of this older stuff ...
    on top of that he had a long standing friendship / long term working relationship with a composer name Paul Baillargeon .
    Paul would fly into LA to score the music for select episodes of Deep Space Nine , Voyager , and Enterprise ...
    One of the things Paul did over the years was to keep everything he needed to score his music at my brothers apt 
    so he didn't have to flying w all that stuff…
    in addition to letting my brother keep and own all the equipment that he used to score the shows ..keys , synths moduals ...hardware ...software..sequencers , drum machines …ect ect ….
    He didn't like staying in hotels / motels ..so he actually scored many of the episodes of Deep Space Nine , Voyager , and Enterprise …he did in my brothers apartment  
    I'm the only person in the world that can tell you this ..and how do I know this …
    because when I was staying with my brother I had to sleep out in my van when ever Paul showed up with his assistant to score the shows.. 
    Paul was civil to me , he knew my situation ..he knew I was a musician and K…'s brother ...
    so I stayed out of his way when ever he was in town ( truthful I would have been an unwelcome distraction ) 
    he did throw me a bone on one visit …he scored an episode of Voyager and let me watch him and his assistant work for a couple of hours ….
    I was grateful he let me sit there and watch , I got to see things first hand …
    what happened after that which i didn't see was they took the score to the studio and had a full orchestra play the score…cool stuff ..a few weeks later I got to catch the episode on tv…..
    anyway I moved out and got my own place …I never did get to open up a studio with my brother 
    he was always busy working on film locations doing sound …as a boom operator or sound man ..
    in some way I felt that he was a little embarrassed by me …he was very well connected and he knew how to play the game …as we all know I can be somewhat of a loose cannon and a little outspoken  
    a few years passed and eventually my brother introduced me to SONAR … he was running SONAR 1 ….
    we stayed in touch and hung a lot ..even dated a couple of the same girls ….eventually got married had a few kids
    some how he wound up  back on drugs after 10 + years of being clean …. it was sad watching him loose everything 
    my brother K….passed away in a motorcycle accident the day Whitney H….died...
    sorry to share all this here…it seemed like the right thing to do 

Kenny

Fascinating story. :) I'm glad that you decided to share it here. Thanks.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1