How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Jeff Evans
Max Output Level: -24 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5139
2011/04/13 17:41:36 (permalink)

How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best?

I am just passing this information on. It is in this latest issue of Audio Technology written by Mike Stavrou a well known engineer here in Australia.

We all have a collection of digital plugin compressors. And why is it that some might impress us and others not so much. This is a test that will find out which compressors are best for use in our productions.

Music compression is all about the shape of its movement. This can be difficult to hear. There is the dynamaic movement of the compressor and artifacts that are also created. This test exposes the inaccuracies and strange anomalies in bad compressor designs. While the music is present and it is constantly moving up and down it can be hard to hear the volume changes that are attributed purely to your compressor. To eliminate any confusion the idea is to eliminate the music leaving behind only the volume shaping the compressor is performing.

What to do:

Find the right source. A single instrument or a punchy complex dynamic uncompressed mix is also good.

Insert this on a track. And copy it to an second track. Invert the phase of the second track and adjust volumes for a complete null. Faders should be at unity.

Insert test compressor on second track. Perhaps first set the compressor so it is not doing anything. (eg high threshold low ratio etc but still inserted and operating) Check for null. A small delay in the plugin will prevent a complete null. If this is the case then try advancing the second track a few ms or so and see if that improves it.

What you will hear:

Each time the compressor grabs hold of the sound and reduces its gain the source will jump into view. You should not hear and clicks that are not part of the music. Any clicks farts or noises generated by this particular unit are not a byproduct of the compression itself. These strange noises, thumps or distortion are being added by the workings of this compressor and will appear in your mix.

If you use this same compressor plugin on 6 individual tracks than these things multiply as well. Some compressors are better than others. Instead of smooth or quick ramping levels you might hear the swell made of jittery steps. If it jumps all over the place it is bad. You can smooth this by changing release time (200 ms or more)

It is a great test to do on demo versions before you invest in some expensive compressor plugin. Test all the ones you have. You can use this test to also setup a compressor in mastering as you normally would then do the null test to see how it effecting your audio. Then fine tune for better results in the null state.

What to Aim for:

You play with the controls to find the most elastic setting where the sound rushes towards you and away with a spring in its step. Try to get the movement to compliment the rhythm of the source. That is when compression feels the best. When it bounces along with the energy and the vibe of the track. Then the compressor becomes the finishing touch to your production instead of the first stage of accidental destruction.

Take turns inserting each of your compressors and limiters into the second track and hear with clarity the vast differences between them. Expensive analog compressors have a smooth rubber band like action. But does not mean we can't get our best digital plugins to do the same.

post edited by Jeff Evans - 2011/04/13 17:43:32

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt

32 Replies Related Threads

bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2011/04/14 10:36:03 (permalink)
    Excellent suggestion, Jeff. Thanks!

Such a test could also reveal distortion and aliasing, at least if they were actually audible in isolation. There would, however, still be much about the compressor's behavior that such a test would not reveal.

For example, I have an article here (sorry, no link: unfortunately I did not note where I originally found it) explaining why different hardware 1176 units sound different from one another. Turns out it was the shape of the release curve that varied from one unit to the next, due to component tolerances. A null test would have indicated that a difference existed, but would it have been obvious what that difference was?

Another caveat is that compressor settings would be critical for comparing two plugins.

For example, a compressor that offered an effectively instantaneous attack time would be more prone to artifacts than another that only went down to 10ms, so any valid comparison would require them to both be set to the same attack time.

And setting up two different compressors identically could prove difficult. What if one had a threshold control and the other had an input level control? Or one offered an adjustable knee and the other didn't?

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2011/04/14 11:30:16 (permalink)
    Sounds like an interesting exercise.  

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

Bristol_Jonesey
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 16775
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2011/04/14 11:35:03 (permalink)
    Yep.

Another thing to file away and experiment with in my 'free' time

CbB, Platinum, 64 bit throughout
    Custom built i7 3930, 32Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb Internal HDD, 1 x 1TB system SSD (Win 7), 1 x 500Gb system SSD (Win 10), 2 x 1Tb External HDD's, Dual boot Win 7 & Win 10 64 Bit, Saffire Pro 26, ISA One, Adam P11A,
    drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2011/04/14 14:01:03 (permalink)
    Listening to a difference signal and trying to draw any subjective conclusions is never ever a good approach.

Null tests are a very good way to establish whether 2 signals are different, and to what degree. And you can potentially analyze the difference signal to, for instance, see if it's random noise or restricted to a certain frequency range or something like that, or by comparing it in microscopic detail to the original signal, or by using test signals.

But you can't really get anything out of just listening to the difference signal on its own because you don't know whether what you're hearing was added to or taken away from the original signal. 

And you can't tell whether what you're hearing is even audible in the context of the original signal, particularly if the difference signal is amplified (as it usually is). Some people may want to argue this, but, IMO, it's a terrible argument - if the differences are so easily audible, why bother with listening to the difference signal at all?

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    Jeff Evans
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2011/04/14 19:15:58 (permalink)
    Thanks guys for reading this. A few things. I have been doing some testing and it seems it is quite revealing. I would like to address a few of Dave's concerns.

Firstly this is a good test for digital plugins. Most analog units tend to behave in a more elastic way. Differences in the 1176 release setting would have manifest itself as how the sound jumps at you (similar for several units) and then goes away (different for several units) etc.

Stav uses this analogy at the start of the article. Imagine a stage populated by a collection of animated characters - each one jumping forward and back while expressing their thing. To reduce the overall dynamic range each one should be held back with a rubber band tensioned specifically for thier range of movement: a moderate 'jumper' with a medium tensioned rubber band, a hyperactive jumper with a tight rubber band and so on. The tension equates to the ratio setting on your compressor.

This example above might be looking at how the individual compressors are behaving on tracks. A total mix going through our mastering compressor is obvioulsy a single rubber band if you like over our total mix.

Compressor settings do not have to be critical to compare one plugin to another. What you are listening for is how jerky the rubber band motion is when any given plugin is doing its thing. If it is jerky and stepped and also a bit wild as Stav points out that is not good. Try adjusting release among other things to see if you can smooth this movement out. The better plugins can give you a smoother more bouncy elastic type effect each time the compressor grabs onto the audio. This is the main thing you are listening for. Because that is how the compressor is applying its gain reduction when the music is back there and you are hearing being ducked away instead of nothing or silence and burts of music suddenly moving toward you. The null test is exposing how a digital compressor plugin is behaving and it can tell you a lot.

Watch out for the delays that some plugins are introducing. You must aim for a complete or close to null before you go any further. You need to be savvy with track advancing in time and by very small amounts as well. You can try delaying the track without the compressor on it as well. I have had success both ways.

Specs i5-2500K 3.5 Ghz - 8 Gb RAM - Win 7 64 bit - ATI Radeon HD6900 Series - RME PCI HDSP9632 - Steinberg Midex 8 Midi interface - Faderport 8- Studio One V4 - iMac 2.5Ghz Core i5 - Sierra 10.12.6 - Focusrite Clarett thunderbolt interface 

Poor minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas -Eleanor Roosevelt
    Jeff Evans
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2011/04/15 09:10:01 (permalink)
    I setup in both Sonar and Studio One for these tests. You do have to tweak the volume of the track with the plugin inserted for finer null tuning for each plugin. You don't have to alter track delay or advance settings very often either. When I do this I do it in Studio One as it is easy there.

I found that certain compressors performed well. The standard Sonitus compressor did well. The Sonitus multiband not so well. The LP64 Multiband EQ also did very nicely. Could get to bounce in and out very well. A few other compressors and limiters did not do well, especially the limiters. Very jerky response. Won't use them again after hearing them in this situation.

It is interesting when you do get something like the LP64 working nicely it is amazing how much the attack parameter effects things in terms of that bounce feeling. Slowing it down means the compressor is not doing so much and the result is mostly quiet. Speed up attack and you start to hear it more often. It is very interesting playing with all of the (compressor) parameters without the music being present most of the time.

Other things show up some interesting results like tape simulation. Some of them added some not so nice distortion and artifcats. It exposes what your plugins are adding.

EQ's are interesting. When you effect a band (boost or cut) you only hear the frequencies in that band. You really get to hear what parts of the spectrum you are effecting with eq.

bitflipper
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2011/04/15 10:58:03 (permalink)
    Drew makes a good point, which is that you can't necessarily assume that what you detect in the difference file is actually an audible artifact, much less an unpleasant artifact. The null test tells you that a difference exists, but not a whole lot beyond that.

I am reminded of a long thread on either Gearslutz or KVR, I forget which one, where compressors were being evaluated based on aliasing measurements.

Somebody had discovered that some compressors showed aliasing, while others did not. Everybody went nuts taking spectral pictures of their compressors and posting them. And they all read WAY too much into those measurements. Nobody seemed to notice that the aliasing was much too low to ever be heard.

My Stuff
    Middleman
    Max Output Level: -31.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4397
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2011/04/15 11:03:44 (permalink)
    I have found with digital plug ins that the attack and release is always a clouded affair. Mild attack and release seem to work fine but most break down after even a 4:1 ratio and around -6 gain reduction. They just sound smeared past that point. One notable exception is the Precision Buss Compressor from UAD which can be pushed farther than most. I have not found even one that will emulate an 1176 in all button mode. Most get really smeared when trying to duplicate this sound. There is not the tight grab and slow clear release that hardware provides.

Another challenge is the depth & weight of the sound that transformers impart. A lot of plug ins don't map to the real world counterparts in the low mids and bottom end. That said I agree that the Sonitus is a good digital compressor. Neutral and effective but unfortunately not enhancing which is sometimes a desire. Overall in my experimentation, digital compressors, when applied throughout a mix as you would real compressors, give a haze and cloudiness to the sound which at first may be appealing but when compared to commercial music makes it obvious that transparent compression in hardware is a better approach.

Gear: A bunch of stuff.
    jsaras
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2642
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2011/04/15 11:11:57 (permalink)
    Stavrou's book (not cheap) is a gold mine of recording and mixing knowledge.  His earlier methodology for setting compressors is a very valid one, and it focuses on setting the attack time to get the desired hardness and the setting the release time to enhance the groove.

http://www.audiorecordingandservices.com ("one minute free" mastering)

http://tinyurl.com/3n6kj (free Sonar mixing template and Ozone mastering preset)
    drewfx1
    Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 6585
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2011/04/15 12:30:35 (permalink)
    Jeff Evans

A few other compressors and limiters did not do well, especially the limiters. Very jerky response. Won't use them again after hearing them in this situation. 

Jeff, this is exactly what I would predict, and illustrates the problem with this approach.

Want "jerky" response? Here's the recipe:

1. High compression ratio
    2. Hard knee
    3. Peak (vs. RMS) detection
    4. Fast attack
    5. Fairly high threshold

Sounds like a typical peak limiter to me. It's "worse" only because it's doing something you've artificially defined to be "bad". Even though it's doing exactly what it's designed to do. Even though it might sound fine when you listen to the actual audio.

If you want to use a difference signal to find which areas to listen to more closely in the actual audio, that might be a reasonable approach. But it's not a "real" signal you're listening to here, it's a difference signal, that's all. 

Making any subjective judgments on an artificially constructed, out of context difference signal doesn't make any sense when you can just listen to the actual audio

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
    Rbh
    Max Output Level: -52 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2349
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2011/04/15 21:42:38 (permalink)
    I live by one rule when it comes to compression -
    Compressors are meant to be seen and not heard. 

I7 930 2.8 Asus PDX58D
    12 Gig
    Appollo
    CbB, Sonar Pro, Reaper, Samplitude, MixBuss
     Win7 Pro

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=902832
    bitflipper
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2011/04/15 22:54:18 (permalink)
    I live by one rule when it comes to compression - Compressors are meant to be seen and not heard.
    I feel the same about reverb and EQ. But that's considered "old skool" these days. Nowadays the compressor is a rhythm instrument.

My Stuff
    Serious Noize!
    Max Output Level: -87 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 164
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2011/04/15 23:44:53 (permalink)

Sorry but this is an idiot newbie question???

If I understand the use of compression right, is it mean to be used to shorten the width of the sound in the stereo spectrum or sound of a song? I dunno, For some reason I can not hear any difference using compression. To me it's more or less been a glorified volume increasing utility.

I guess your talking about mixing down a song and not recording it, I know much to less to nothing after 3 years or so trying to record.   

Everything I have been told, even when I paid 1800 dollars at the time 3 years or so ago to purchase a boss BR1800 was that - : Compression is the difference between HOME recordings and Radio Ready recordings.

Anyway, sorry to disrupt your thread if I did, I just thought I would ask????

Compression is a mystery to me, and I would like to understand what it really is without having to become a rocket scientist to do so.

post edited by Serious Noize! - 2011/04/15 23:51:36

Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2011/04/16 10:55:27 (permalink)
    Compression reduces the dynamic range of a sound (by attenuating the highs).  This gives you a more consistant sound.

This can be particuarly important for real sounds (like vocals ) so you can control how they sit in the mix.

Many compressors also tend to "glue" multiple sounds together so they all sound like they are part of the same song.   I'm not sure exactly why they have this effect (maybe someone that knows more about audio theory can answer).

So for example with drums, you might put gentle compression over the whole drum mix to glue them together.  Same with multiple vocal taxes etc.   And of course most people do some gentle compression over the whole mix.   

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

Jeff Evans
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2011/04/16 21:55:43 (permalink)
    Hi Serious Noize You are certrtainly not disrupting the thread and welcome. What you are asking is more akin to what the basics are in terms of what a compressor does and how to set it up to do it. There have been numerous threads on this including one from me which gives some basic advice on how to setup parameters. Here:

http://forum.cakewalk.com/tm.aspx?m=2116921

I think firstly you need to decide if a compressor is really necessary. I like the rubber band analogy too. Things can still jump around a bit in level, but if their movement was limited by a rubber band then they would still jump around level wise but not so much. ie restricted movement. A compressor restricts the range of volume changes. The ratio is the tension of the rubber band and how it restricts movement. They can be setup in such a way that quieter material is boosted slightly too. This can be for the good in terms of mixing and keeping things present in the mix and not jumping out too much either.

But what I am going on about here is a more esoteric approach and that is we are using a technique that removes the music and only gives us sound when the compressor is actually acting upon the signal or engaging. I am putting forward the concept of listening to the difference signal and gaining information about the plugin from that.

And I still think its a good idea as well. And yes for those who mentioned it, I am not hung up on listening to the difference signal forever either. But I have noticed that if you adjust your compressor normally and you might think something is up, then go into the null mode and you might hear why. After some fine tuning of parameters in that mode, when you go back to normal it seems to sound better and more musical to me and more like what Rbh says. Seen but not heard.

Also both Stav and Bob Katz say that some digital compressors are excellent and can match their analog counterparts anyday. They use them regularly in mastering. They are not advocating that the only great compression is analog although they do seem to do it easier as such. But only the better plugins are up to the task. These better ones all seem to have something in common and that is their natural bounce and elastic movement when in the null mode.

I tested some more limiters. The poorer ones seemed to jerk around a lot and also there were some weird clicky artifacts. I tried the Waves Loudness maximizer and got a much better result. Had to delay the Souce A wave by 1.76 ms to get a near perfect null.

Also in the null mode I was really able to hear what the Release slider does. I found on the setting it was, it was clicking rather badly and releasing rather nasty on certain loud things. After slowing it down a little I was able to get a much smoother release thing going with no clicking artifacts. Back to normal mode and it sounded great. No wonder I use that plugin a lot.

The null mode is also great for showing up what things might be a little too loud in your mix. If the kick drum grabs every single elastic swoosh towards you then may be it is a bit too loud! Back on the small speaker at low volume to check.

droddey
    • Total Posts : 5147
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2011/04/16 22:58:30 (permalink)
    I'm not a hard core guy either way, but I do find it quicker for whatever reason to find a nice sound with an outboard comp. Some of it is that they often have quite distinct personalities and if you know what those are you use them for the things that that would be good for. That probably starts you off a certain way there. Some of it probably is that you can easily grab knobs and adjust physically. And they do seem more forgiving sometimes.

BTW, the thing about compression working best with it doing X, Y, or Z is another one of those things that immediately runs up against the 'whatever sounds good' rule. It works best when it sounds best in the context. Sometimes, flatting something out heavily is exactly what you want. It's often done with drum room mics for instance. And sometimes you want to make it not jump out at you, and give more emphasis to the after ring or air or whatever that follows the initial attack.

And, sometimes you very much want it heard and want to abuse it. This is not at all a new phenomenon, and it goes back to the 70s at least. Even a band like CSN&Y would sometimes use hugely compressed acoustics. Lady Madonna from The Beatles has a hugely compressed piano.

I think that what really is the goal is to achieve a variety of textures that layer over each other in a nice way to create depth and space. That means that some things may get smashed and others punched up and others with tempo based emphasis, some bright, some dark, some mid-rangy, some scooped out, some dry and some ambient, depending on how you are layering things.

Dean Roddey
    Chairman/CTO, Charmed Quark Systems
    www.charmedquark.com
    Jeff Evans
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2011/04/17 20:01:56 (permalink)
    Some nice points in there Dean Just out of interest in the Stav article he also mentions this:

I must emphasize that when I talk about compression artifacts I am not talking about the depth of your compression, that's a matter of taste, and some production styles demand creative aggression and even punishment. This shootout reveals 'unwanted' noise. Unwanted by even the most inept producer.

The null test is also good for aggressive amounts of compression. It just takes a little adjustment to get the null point set and you tend to hear it more often with more aggressive settings. It is still the way the sound rushes toward you and goes away that is of interest. We are after that elastic bounce. With lighter amounts of compression we are in silence a lot more with just the odd music rushing towards and away. It is always interesting to note what sounds are making the ocassional bursts happen too.

Also I definately agree with Stav about artifacts. I heard some plugins making just wrong clicking sounds. Nothing to do with the music. (the music was creating it of course but the clicking sound often was not related to the tempo of the music and was random making it even easier to hear) But it does get added to your mix. In the null mode it is often possible to fine tune your plugins so the artifact goes away. Without changing the overall compression much.

Jeff Evans
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2011/05/24 18:40:31 (permalink)
    This is one thread that in my opinion more people should perhaps look into and try. This is not my idea but rather Stav's but again I used this technique recently to determine how a certain compressopr plugin was behaving.

It is much harder to hear how a compressor is working and what it is doing to your individual track or mix when the music is present! By removing it, you only hear then how a compressor is behaving and very clearly too and only when it is engaging. A jerky peformance can be readjusted to become a smooth movement toward and away from you thus when you put the music back in it all seems to sound much better.

Many people have asked how to set up a compressor properly and this is certainly one way to do it. It is not too difficult to set up the track and routing etc to create the null.

spindlebox
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2645
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2011/06/11 01:04:28 (permalink)
    Jeff, I plan on giving this a shot with some of my go-to compressors.

I would be very interested, in addition to the above, which ones were your favorites that you tried?

I am in the culling mode in my VST land, and your valuable insight just might make my job a bit easier.

2:43AM
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1147
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2014/08/27 21:40:33 (permalink)
    "Rise from your grave..."

I just came across this thread, and I find it interesting. However, I am not finding the particular faults, as described by the OP, in any of my compressor plugins.  Maybe I am, but I need a good, bad example to know what to listen for.

I tried the Sonitus Multiband compressor, but the only thing I really heard was that it really didn't do much.   On the other hand, I tried the single-band Sonitus Comp, and it sounded very good and clean with no defects.  Martin Eastwood CompressivePro was about as USELESS (capitals for a reason) as it can get! There was no real change in sound or defects, but the controls didn't do anything! FXpansion DCAMFreeComp...just a "tinny" sound that was always present, probably caused by the plugin's delay and a dry signal (i.e. some parallel compression) always present in the mix. Variety of Sound's DensitymkIII performed well, with relatively light compression and a decent attack--the sound seemed to ebb and flow well. This one is actually regarded as a good, freebie compressor plugin.

Fast release times and a high ratio on the PC76 introduced "sputtering noise." This however, could be a characteristic of the real-deal Holyfield, so perhaps it is OK in terms of the quality being true to form. The PC4K, on the other hand, sounded clear and clean, but not very aggressive.

Melda's MCompressor was very "sputtery" when set to fast attacks and moderate release times. It only sounded good when the knee was set to super soft.

Fish Filet's Blockfish put a lot of bass into the difference mix. It also added some "swirling" type noise into the mix that could be heard if low cut was enabled. It also wasn't very tweakable, as the only setting that sounded decent was to have the compression knob remain at the halfway mark.

A demo of Fabfilter's Pro-C was very clean and all controls worked as they should, yielding very smooth and flowing results. Obviously, this is a high-end plugin with much praise. Overall, it was very tweakable and predictable.

This test was also very useful to understand how the ProChannel Console Emulators work. I could definitely hear the saturation/distortion if the Drive knob is pushed way up. I guess distortion is easy to hear, but because it's subtle, it may not be obvious on the channel or in the mix.

So maybe I did the test correctly and heard the right things. What do you guys think?
    Jeff Evans
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2014/08/27 22:18:07 (permalink)
    Talk about rise from the dead! Yes you did well. The fact that you heard all those things means you did the test perfectly and it revealed much to you.

The problem with compressors is when the music is present you cannot actually hear what they are doing! (or easily I mean) This test reveals how the compressor in question is actually doing its thing. Note how the better ones behave in this test.

And as you have mentioned too just because a good quality compressor behaves badly in this test it does not mean it is bad either. It means it is not adjusted well that is all. This test allows you to arrive at smoother more bouncy settings which is what you are after.

The Band19
    Max Output Level: -47.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2795
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2014/08/28 02:26:06 (permalink)
    I would think that they're all different, and can be used for different applications? I like Fab... But I also use Alloy and it's compressor(s) and I like PSP Vintage Warmer for acoustic guitar? I'm sure there are others that are really sweet, these are my favs. 

I did enjoy this,
    "If I understand the use of compression right, is it mean to be used to shorten the width of the sound in the stereo spectrum or sound of a song? I dunno, For some reason I can not hear any difference using compression. To me it's more or less been a glorified volume increasing utility."

That was pretty funny.
    post edited by The Band19 - 2014/08/28 02:30:28

Sittin downtown in a railway station one toke over the line.
    batsbrew
    • Total Posts : 10037
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2014/08/28 10:21:46 (permalink)
    i find a lot of times, what i'm going for with a compressor, is what it DOES NOT do.

sometimes, a compressor is simply an effect for color.

other times, more of a level controller.

knowing how a compressor grabs a signal, and lets go, is a good thing to know....
    but not necessarily how you will end up using it.

Bats Brew music Streaming
    Bats Brew albums:
    "Trouble"
    "Stay"
    "The Time is Magic"
    --
    Sonar 6 PE>Bandlab Cakewalk>Studio One 3.5>RME BFP>i7-7700 3.6GHz>MSI B250M>G.Skill Ripjaws 4 series 16GB>Samsung 960 EVO m.2ssd>W 10 Pro

Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2014/08/29 00:33:53 (permalink)
    My best is Logic's own compressor. I did the above test and it confirmed that it behaves adequately and doesn't add anything nasty to the mix.

At this point, it's practically the only compressor I use, because it does it all - VariMU, Opto, VCA, FET, etc. and it does it extremely well.

Others may offer instant gratification and nicer graphics, but the truth is, the more I use this one, the better I know it and the closer I get to instant gratification. Even on the stereo bus - I prefer it to every bus compressor I've tried except maybe the Duende SSL. 

Good enough for me.

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    mixmkr
    Max Output Level: -43.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3169
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2014/08/30 18:26:03 (permalink)
    Why can you just cut to the chase and tells us what compressors we shouldn't use, because of artifacts that we never heard in our mixes, are now proved to be there?  ;-)

But on a serious note, a mention of the supplied Cake compressors would be interesting to read about.  That way I know for sure if their CA2A is junk and I should buy the competitor's version instead!   If I can prevent people giggling about my mixes because of incorrect plug choices, that would be at least some sort of advancement in this craft.

some tunes: --->        www.masonharwoodproject.bandcamp.com 
    StudioCat i7 4770k 3.5gHz, 16 RAM,  Sonar Platinum, CD Arch 5.2, Steinberg UR-44
    videos--->https://www.youtube.com/user/mixmkr

Jeff Evans
    Re:How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2014/08/30 19:11:24 (permalink)
    It is not so much about which plug-ins are bad and which are good. It is about setting up your compressor to give you the right result. Something many don't know how to do and this test goes a long way towards getting it right.

A really good plug-in can be set badly and it will perform badly in this test just as an another compressor (more average or less expensive) can be set to work very smoothly under this test. (eg Rain's Logic compressor which I agree with him is very good in fact)

If however you cannot get your plug-in (good or average) to perform well under this test then it is a matter of perhaps realising it is a not so good plug-in after all and you may be better off looking for something different.

TomHelvey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 537
    Re: How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2014/08/30 22:01:26 (permalink)
    I had a few minutes to play with this technique so I ran through a few compressors I have installed.
    The best sounding were the Waves SSL compressor, Blue Cat Dynamics, and the NI Solid bus compressor.
    All of the Waves compressors I have performed well as did the TRackS3 classic compressor.
    The worst were the pro-channel compressor, CA-2A leveler, and the Nomad Factory CP2S. All of them had pretty nasty attack noise and adjusting the attack time did little to help.
    It was very easy to get the null using makeup gain on the compressors, I had no issues with latency. YMMV
    I was pleasantly surprised by Solid, I'm going to have to use it more often.

Thanks for pointing out this technique Jeff.

P.S. I didn't test the Sonitus compressor but it will always be my goto compressor for drop ducking, it's amazingly tweakable for that purpose.
    post edited by TomHelvey - 2014/08/31 03:36:23

System: i7-6900, 64Gb, AMI X99 Carbon Pro Gaming, AMD Radeon HD 7700, Win 10 Pro
    PCIe: UAD Octo
    USB: MOTU midi express 128, OB-6 Module, Akai MPK-249, Moog SUB 37, Antelope Orion 32 HD, Softube Console 1, iLok, eLicenser
    DAW: Cubase Pro, Ableton Live, Sonar Platinum
    Plugins: Waves, UAD, Xfer, Lennar Digital, u-he, Reveal Sound, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, VPS, Blue Cat, iZotope, NI, Valhalla, Lexicon, etc.

https://soundcloud.com/thomas-helvey
    Jeff Evans
    Re: How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2014/08/31 06:27:30 (permalink)
    Interesting how Tom picked some plug-ins that did not perform well.  That mixmkr is exactly what I mean.  If the attack part created some artifacts, adjusting the attack will usually fix the problem.  The fact they could not means there may be something seriously wrong in how these plug-ins are handling the attack part of the sound.  And these artifacts do get added into your signal source and are adding unwanted sounds.  You just don't notice them so much while the music is present but when you take it away suddenly it becomes quite clear.

BTW Tom keep persevering with various parameters until the attack nasties go away. Other factors can influence things such as ratio (were you using a very high ratio) and threshold as well. You might find these plugs ins will suddenly come good when you start backing some of these other parameters off a bit.

If you however you cannot do anything to reduce the attack artifacts then simply keep that in mind before using them.
    post edited by Jeff Evans - 2014/08/31 06:28:41

rebel007
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 926
    Re: How to test your compressor plugins. Which one is really best? 2014/09/22 09:32:09 (permalink)
    Nice thread Jeff. I too have Stav's book on mixing secrets and it certainly gives some good advice. A little too expensive I thought, but when you don't have the cash to splash on a full blown engineering apprenticeship every bit helps. 

Home Built Desktop Computer: Intel Core i5 750: 4Mb RAM: NVidia 210 Silent: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum: Roland OctaCapture
    Presario CQ41 Laptop: Intel Core i5 760: 4Mb RAM: Windows 10 32bit: Sonar Platinum (Retired)
    CbB on HP Pavilion Laptop 64bit: GeForce Video Card: Intel 8550: 256GB SSD 1TB Data Drive: Windows10 64bit
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1