How can I set Dimension pro 1.5 for composing orchestra?

Author
marcus3
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 521
2014/08/28 20:34:43 (permalink)

How can I set Dimension pro 1.5 for composing orchestra?

Hi How is everybody hope well anyway I'm starting at Berkeley college of music Orchestra 1 and 2 and film scoring.
The equipment's for the classes  are Any DAW I have sonar and finale. And a orchestra vst and I have dimension pro.
But I have no clue how set it up in Sonar and Finale for composing.

I looked on the web and browse cakewalk forum but didn't see any tutorial.

Thank you
Marcus
Have good holiday!

3 Replies Related Threads

AT
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 10654
    Re: How can I set Dimension pro 1.5 for composing orchestra? 2014/08/29 00:41:31 (permalink)
    DimPro is only 4 voice timbre  - one for each element.  It is not a GM synth that will fire from all 16 midi channels at once  There is a page where you can turn on multi-timbre, but many patches use more than one element. For an orchestra, you'll have to use multiple instances of DimPro.  If you go through the patches, you'll find most of the instruments that make up an orchestra.  There are also libraries to expand your orchestra palette.  Check the Products page - I think there is a sale right now.

It is the same for doing drums w/ DimPro.  One element could be the kick, one the snare and the other two hat open and closed.  The next instance of Dimpro could have the cymbal and 3 toms.  Most samplers handle that like a drum machine - one midi channel with different notes playing the separate drum sounds.

You can do it, but it will take several dimpros open at once.  The good news there is that dimpro is pretty light on the CPU.

@

https://soundcloud.com/a-pleasure-dome
    http://www.bnoir-film.com/  

there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.
    24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.
    marcus3
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 521
    Re: How can I set Dimension pro 1.5 for composing orchestra? 2014/08/30 00:18:21 (permalink)
    Okay thanks I'm looking at the studio orchestra pack. I also own Emu virtuoso 2000 for Dim.
    And I know Garritan Orchestra is included with it.
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: How can I set Dimension pro 1.5 for composing orchestra? 2014/09/27 23:25:54 (permalink)
    You might also want to look at downloading the free Kontakt Player, from Native Instruments, or Reaktor Player .

They both come with a very small subset of sounds from their full-version bigger brothers, but for free they are not bad at all, and you might find some decent sounds there.  

The full version of Kontakt is highly regarded as one of the best sample players on the market, and the free Kontakt Player's included sounds are nice.  The same holds true for the Reaktor Player, though it is not really orchestral in nature - it still might have some sounds you could use.

Here is a link to their free players: 

http://www.native-instruments.com/en/products/free/

And, there are other synth components included with Sonar, that might help you with your class projects - which ones you get varies with the different flavors of Sonar - Producer having the most.  TTS-1, Rapture, SI-Strings, etc.

I hope the above helps you with your goals, 

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1