Author
cclarry
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 20964

4 Replies Related Threads

Vastman
    Max Output Level: -50 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2508
    Re: 8 Core i7 Processor Released 2014/08/31 17:45:27 (permalink)
    ddr4 unavailable or very expensive.... cpu very expensive... sure I want it but am quite happy where I sit...more ssd's first!

Dana
    We make the future... Climate Change Music
    VastMaschine:SP4L/W10/i74930K/32GB/RME/CAD E100s; The Orchestra! NOVO!/Inspire/BohemianViolin&Cello, ARK1&2,/MinimalCapriccioMaximoSoto/OE1&2, Action&Emotive/Omni2/Tril/RMX/All OrangeTree/Falcon/APE Jugs/Alpha&Bravo/BFD3 & SD3
    Gravity/DM307/AEON/DM/Damage/Diva/HZebra/Hive/Diversion/VC4/Serum/Alchemy/blablabla
    Spitfire/8DIO/SL/KH/EW/NI; Shred1&2/AGF,G,M&T Torch&Res&Ren/GD-6; Ibanez SR1200&SR505
    NOVAX FanFret Tele&Strat 
    Sycraft
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 871
    Re: 8 Core i7 Processor Released 2014/09/01 06:55:50 (permalink)
    DDR4 actually isn't too bad. It's a little sold out right now as all the "OMGSHINYNEWTOY!!!111" people go and snap one of these up, but the standard price is only a bit more than DDR3, which is nice.

The CPU is expensive for sure, but no surprise, it is a high end part. The prices are in line with what you'd pay for a Xeon of similar speed and core count. For most people, it isn't a good use of money since they don't even really use 4 cores, much less 6 or 8. However if you've a need for more CPU power, it is a good way to go. Cheaper and generally faster than getting a workstation/server class system with similar hardware.

In your case, it would be a pretty minor upgrade since you are already rocking a 6 core chip. The Haswell chips do have more performance per clock, but not a whole lot. The 8 core chip would offer some more performance, but not as much as you might think due to the core speed decrease (to keep thermals in check).

The biggest interest could be larger RAM sizes. DDR4 should be able to support 16GB modules without the need to go buffered, and maybe even 32GB. That would allow for 128GB per board with 16GB modules, or 256GB per board with 32GB modules.

However that is something to wait on, because it is unclear if current boards/processors support it or not. They all say 64GB, because that is currently what the modules on the market will let them support. It isn't clear if that is also the limit of the memory controller, and so even with larger modules they'd still be capped, or if it can handle more and when new modules come out they'll handle that.

Better to wait until 16GB modules launch, and then see. Assuming, of course, you have a use for that much RAM :).
    Jim Roseberry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: 8 Core i7 Processor Released 2014/09/01 11:45:33 (permalink)
    Note the clock speed on that 8-core CPU.   

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    Sycraft
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 871
    Re: 8 Core i7 Processor Released 2014/09/02 01:58:41 (permalink)
    Jim Roseberry
    Note the clock speed on that 8-core CPU.   

Yep, they had to do that to keep the thermals in spec. Max TDP for the lineup is 130 watts, which is still pretty high and requires a sizable heatsink. To meet that, the 8 core CPU has to be slower. You see the same thing on servers, the Xeons there do have slightly higher allowable TDPs, but still the higher core count ones have to have reduced core speed to be able to stay in spec.

Now one could potentially solve this with overclocking. All the chips are unlocked and you can buy aftermarket coolers that'll handle 200 watts or more of dissipation. There's not a lot of info yet since the chips are new but it looks like the 8 core chip can be pushed over 4GHz stable.

However for those of us that don't want to mess with that, it is something to consider. The 8 core chip would be faster for audio production and other things that make efficient use of lots of cores, but not as much as you'd first think because of the clock speed drop.

Of course these things are so fast anyway, it isn't likely to matter much :D.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1