Helpful ReplyStatus of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected)

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
brconflict
Max Output Level: -56.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1891
Re: Status of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected) 2014/08/29 10:54:53 (permalink)
Karyn
What "professionals" want/need is reliability, not cute features.   If Sonar is to ever get close to replacing PT in pro studios then the bakers need to concentrate on fixing ALL of the historical bugs, work-arounds and quirkiness of some of the "features" in Sonar.

You shouldn't need to be a geek to work a DAW, it should be as simple as possible.

Totally. I've suggested in the past, Sonar X(n) Professional, or, even Enterprise, which would be a version that is modular in the installation, so that you could rip out major features you don't use, such as "touch", which consumes resources on the machine. Or a global Freeze, which would allow you to gain a low-latency armed track w/echo button enabled (minus actual echo).

Before X3, I complained that I couldn't trust X2 to be stable beyond a session. Much of this could have been all the bells and whistles (plug-ins) I was using, but it didn't diminish the unfortunate experience I was enduring, hoping CW would fix a lot of bugs or crashes. With X3, it seems some things have been fixed and made more reliable.

But I want more. I work mainly in the recording/mixing realm, where MIDI, samples, notation, looping etc. just don't ever enter my room. People have suggested, "Then PT is exactly what you need, my friend." Yeah, I tried it. To make an understatement, you really need training for PT or a lot of intimacy with the user guides, not that you don't have to sift through tons of information in the Sonar Reference Guides to hunt down even simple functions. btw, PT (at the time of this writing) can't use Windows 8. Perhaps they're still testing and fixing.

Sonar is obviously trying hard to edge out the competition, but I agree, a separate Pro-train of the product, which is priced around where PT resides, undergoes much more rigorous testing, and features that can be removed to clean it up (strip it down), would be handy. Perhaps its architecture was not built with that in mind.

Some expect Gibson will inject a great deal of money or resources into the CW division to move things faster, but I don't get the impression Gibson is able to do that or this venture is relatively new to them. Sorry, Gibson, but that's my impression.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
Re: Status of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected) 2014/08/29 12:51:08 (permalink)
brconflict 
Sonar is obviously trying hard to edge out the competition, but I agree, a separate Pro-train of the product, which is priced around where PT resides, undergoes much more rigorous testing...

Because all Sonar versions have the same core functionality (e.g., unlimited tracks, comping, etc.) I can guarantee that if Cakewalk found a bug, it would be fixed in all versions. The company would not fix a bug in one version but let it fester in other versions.

...and features that can be removed to clean it up (strip it down), would be handy. Perhaps its architecture was not built with that in mind.

I couldn't answer that, but given how much interrelation there is between all the elements, my blissfully ignorant assumption is that it would be difficult. For example maybe you don't want AudioSnap, but then how would you specify the stretch algorithm to use when transposing? Or you don't want Matrix view, but how would you handle the hooks it has into track view, Loop Construction, and other elements?

Again I don't know much about code, but I'd guess the QC would be a nightmare because you'd have to test all possible permutations and combinations of programs incorporating different elements. I'm just speculating, though. I use the stuff, I don't code it 

Some expect Gibson will inject a great deal of money or resources into the CW division to move things faster, but I don't get the impression Gibson is able to do that or this venture is relatively new to them. Sorry, Gibson, but that's my impression.

Actions speak louder than words, so consider what's happened with X3 compared to what happened with X2, and draw your own conclusions.

Also remember that the acquisition is less than a year old, so stay tuned. On the very first meeting with Cakewalk, Henry J authorized additional hires. Gibson is taking this very seriously; I have a lot of responsibilities with Gibson Brands, but the fact that Henry is willing to allocate much of my time to Cakewalk is another indication of his priorities.

Finally, there is a definite emphasis on doing everything possible to improve stability. No, there won't be a bug-free version and some ancient bugs are buried really deep in the code, but I can assure you the attitude within Cakewalk about stability is not laissez-faire.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Status of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected) 2014/08/29 16:05:34 (permalink)
I'm real happy with the pattern of activity that has surrounded X3. X4 will be even better. I don't know what there is to complain about at this point. Every other (3) DAW I've bought was just confusing and crash prone, just the opposite of what others were reporting. I'm delighted that Gibson got involved because they seem to be buying all the companies I like.

There's nothing that I need added to X4 because I'm still learning the X series. AD2 was a great improvement over session drummer and all the plugs are great. To me the real benefit comes from continuous improvement over time. What would make X4 better for me would be to eliminate anything that qualifies as orphan wear. No need to bundle stuff that's been abandoned for years, it just makes the downloads bigger. Freshen up what can be salvaged and cut the rest. If you have X3 and Komplete anything more is for style points and post count.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
Anderton
Re: Status of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected) 2014/08/29 17:20:12 (permalink)
ampfixer
What would make X4 better for me would be to eliminate anything that qualifies as orphan wear. No need to bundle stuff that's been abandoned for years, it just makes the downloads bigger. Freshen up what can be salvaged and cut the rest. If you have X3 and Komplete anything more is for style points and post count.

Can I use "orphanware" royalty-free ?

Here's the thing. Some people need to open older projects that have "legacy" plug-ins, and they may not have their original install disks around. I have noticed that more and more, the orphanware(tm) is being left out of the standard install, and you have to do a custom install to put these elements on your system.

I believe this is one reason why X3 has been embraced as more stable - by limiting new installs to the non-legacy plug-ins, bridging isn't necessary so there's less that can go wrong.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
ampfixer
Max Output Level: -20 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5508
Re: Status of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected) 2014/08/29 18:51:35 (permalink)
Go for it, life is short.

Regards, John 
 I want to make it clear that I am an Eedjit. I have no direct, or indirect, knowledge of business, the music industry, forum threads or the meaning of life. I know about amps.
WIN 10 Pro X64, I7-3770k 16 gigs, ASUS Z77 pro, AMD 7950 3 gig,  Steinberg UR44, A-Pro 500, Sonar Platinum, KRK Rokit 6 
brconflict
Re: Status of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected) 2014/08/31 20:57:00 (permalink)
My point still stands. If CW wants to edge out PT from being the mainstream, it will take a whole lot more resources money, and effort than I expect is available. I don't want to see CW become the company AVID has become, because I've heard many complaints from so many people not vested in PT for years complain about AVID's operation, and priorities. But that's a whole other story. 

My point with a PRO version or Sonar is a pricier version that will afford the extra resources to dedicate to it. However, it could also allow a whole new core to be developed which could not only change the world of DAW's, but could divorce some of the existing core code etc. that Sonar runs on today. I dunno.

Believe me, for anyone who might infer that I'm disappointed with X3, I'm not. Sure, I have a few old gripes, some of which may never really be resolved or heard, but at this point, I'm working without the DAW getting in the way. That's what I'm happy about.

Brian

Sonar Platinum, Steinberg Wavelab Pro 9, MOTU 24CoreIO w/ low-slew OP-AMP mods and BLA external clock, True P8, Audient ASP008, API 512c, Chandler Germ500, Summit 2ba-221, GAP Pre-73, Peluso 22251, Peluso 2247LE, Mackie HR824, Polk Audio SRS-SDA 2.3tl w/upgraded Soniccraft crossovers and Goertz cables, powered by Pass-X350. All wiring Star-Quad XLR or Monster Cable. Power by Monster Power Signature AVS2000 voltage stabilizer and Signature Pro Power 5100 PowerCenter on a 20A isolation shielded circuit.
Sanderxpander
Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3873
Re: Status of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected) 2014/09/01 09:14:50 (permalink)
I'm pretty sure Sonar is already the "pro" version and has been for a while, next to products such as "home studio" and "music creator touch". X3 has been great to me since X3c, X2 wasn't terrible. I have good hopes for X4. Looking forward to new features too, things like Cubase's "note expression" or viewing more sends in the console and so on and so forth.
brconflict
Re: Status of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected) 2014/09/01 11:22:13 (permalink)
Sorry, I think my point is still not clear. Sonar is not the industry standard but is competing furiously with Cubase, Studio One, DP, etc. I know Sonar is a "pro" product, because everyone says it is, and I agree it's every bit as good as the others, if not better in some ways. In my gamble here, I believe Sonar is still not as widely adapted as PT. What will change that? What does PT do that Sonar can't yet? Is it sheer perception? User-friendliness? Features? Industry relationships? It is the industry standard, but if that can change, eventually, it will. What would put Sonar on the top of the list, edging out PT? 

I think part of it is that PT HD can be used to mix hundreds of tracks with added hardware, and used in ways that only larger production studios need, but more importantly, if you're going to make $$ in the recording industry, you HAVE to know PT. Unfortunately. Many of us do take the hard road, and are left too invested, too weak to turn back or look elsewhere. 

Not only does such a threat to PT needs to be revolutionary by another DAW, it has to be absolutely mind-blowing! This game can change, and when native hardware becomes powerful enough, it's possible PT can end up on a lower shelf. Also, if you look at AVID's website, it's clear the site is geared toward the industry, not the artist. I would surmise that AVID meets with industry kingpins and studios regularly to keep such relationships solid.

Sanderxpander, I would love to see more Sends as well. Larger faders, X1's Light color scheme (which was gorgeous), etc. 
post edited by brconflict - 2014/09/01 11:39:59

Brian

Anderton
Re: Status of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected) 2014/09/01 11:42:50 (permalink)
brconflict
What does PT do that Sonar can't yet?

Run on the Macintosh, which is the preferred computer for the film and media industries. Although IIRC the Mac has around 15% of the overall PC market, estimates are that it has at least 50% of the music and media market.

I don't have figures on this, but my sense is that Pro Tools' loss of market share has less to do with Cubase, Studio One, Ableton Live, or people migrating to Windows than Logic's price drop and continued evolution.

Personally, and again I don't speak for Cakewalk, I think the market Pro Tools serves is shrinking - so there's not a lot of incentive to expend great amounts of resources in pursuing it. Instead, Sonar is on a track of finding the sweet spot between music creation and music production. Perfecting that combination, and combining it with exceptional stability and new ideas, will allow Sonar to pick up new users and continue to increase its presence in the marketplace.

listen
Max Output Level: -79 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 593
Re: Status of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected) 2014/09/01 11:50:19 (permalink)
If I was at CHURCH :-) this is when everybody would say AMEN!!!!!!

- Listen -
FOH Mixer & Recording Studio Manager
Nothing but the grace of God - mggtg.

VS 700C - R / CONSOLE 1 / NEVE PORTICO 5017 / TASCAM UH-7000 / SONAR PLATINUM  / REASON RECORD 9 / VMP 2 / UREI 7110's / UA LA-610 MkII / AUDIENT ASP 880 / CREATION STATION 450 V 5 WINDOWS 10 / HOME 64 - BIT / SKYLAKE CORE i7 (i7 - 6700, 4 CORES/8 THREADS)
brconflict
Re: Status of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected) 2014/09/01 12:34:22 (permalink)
listen
If I was at CHURCH :-) this is when everybody would say AMEN!!!!!!

ok.

Brian

Sanderxpander
Re: Status of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected) 2014/09/01 12:38:06 (permalink)
I'm with Craig, if any DAW is drawing people away from PT it's Logic (9 as well as X). Mac dominates the pro audio world. I'm a professional in The Netherlands (mostly live playing but a fair amount of studio jobs both playing and recording/mixing as well) and I am literally the ONLY pro I know who uses PC. It's so annoying compatibility wise that I've been on the edge of getting a Mac many times now, though I dislike OSX and hate Mac's prices and upgrade policies.
Thatsastrat
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1267
Re: Status of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected) 2014/09/01 13:52:01 (permalink)
What is professional? I always equated professional with the fact that it was something you did, and got paid for it. For years I was a professional musician, in my eye, because I got paid to do it. Now I am sadly just a hobbyist. These people that are being talked about that use Pro Tools have tens of thousands invested in there set up, for the most part. Clearly that is not the market, nor should it be, that Sonar is trying to attract. I rather like the fact when someone asks me what daw software I use, and I reply, quite proudly, "Sonar". Makes me feel like I know something they do not. Daw software was developed with the idea that lots of folks would like to record and produce their own, or someone else's music, without having to invest tens of thousands in cash. This is the market for Sonar, because it has the most potential for continued growth, not the group who are so financially committed. Just my thoughts, you can agree or not.

Sonar Platimum, Win10 32bit, Quad Q6600,4G DDR2 Ram, BCF2000, Lexicon Lambda interface,Tascam US 1800, WD 500 GB HD, M-Audio AV40 Monitors, Line 6 DI Gold, Guitar Rig 5 Pro, hand full of guitars, Kawia PH50 Keyboard,Digitech GNX3
http://www.soundclick.com/thatsastrat/%3C/a%3E
http://www.myspace.com/thatsastrat/music
Sanderxpander
Re: Status of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected) 2014/09/01 13:56:21 (permalink)
I really don't like the distinction pro/amateur very much, let's not focus the discussion too much on that. I just meant to indicate that I'm part of the Dutch "music scene" and all my colleagues and most of my friends are money making musicians or engineers.

PCs have a larger share of the amateur "market" because many people who do music for a hobby have a PC and then want to add recording options to their computer. A lot of warez circulate in that circuit though so I'm not entirely sure how much of a "market" there is.
Thatsastrat
Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1267
Re: Status of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected) 2014/09/01 14:03:47 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
I really don't like the distinction pro/amateur very much, let's not focus the discussion too much on that. I just meant to indicate that I'm part of the Dutch "music scene" and all my colleagues and most of my friends are money making musicians or engineers.

PCs have a larger share of the amateur "market" because many people who do music for a hobby have a PC and then want to add recording options to their computer. A lot of warez circulate in that circuit though so I'm not entirely sure how much of a "market" there is.

My response was not intended as a direct response to your reply, it was more of an overall thread reply.
Carry on!

Sonar Platimum, Win10 32bit, Quad Q6600,4G DDR2 Ram, BCF2000, Lexicon Lambda interface,Tascam US 1800, WD 500 GB HD, M-Audio AV40 Monitors, Line 6 DI Gold, Guitar Rig 5 Pro, hand full of guitars, Kawia PH50 Keyboard,Digitech GNX3
http://www.soundclick.com/thatsastrat/%3C/a%3E
http://www.myspace.com/thatsastrat/music
robert_e_bone
  • Total Posts : 8968
Re: Status of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected) 2014/09/01 14:06:40 (permalink)
I think Sonar is quite capable of 'big boy' productions.

Here are a few links of projects that were done with Sonar:

http://blog.cakewalk.com/film-composer-james-bernhard-gets-it-done-right-with-sonar/

http://blog.cakewalk.com/professional-sonar-users-on-sonar-x3/

http://www.vgmonline.net/seanmurrayinterview/

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
Anderton
Re: Status of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected) 2014/09/01 15:01:54 (permalink)
Tracked four classical albums (including one that won an award) in Pro Tools only because that's what was at the studio. Everything after that was done in Sonar.

brconflict
Re: Status of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected) 2014/09/02 00:10:57 (permalink)
It seems at one time, 'Pro's' and 'Professionals' were once synonymous. It must be a long gone thing.
So, let's take Professional out of the picture and state "Industry Standard", or most widely accepted. 

Bob posted some positive links. I'd love to see more like that. The more people in the industry that accept Sonar as what they will advocate, perhaps the more steam and fire-power it'll get. 

Can someone find out what hardware Timothy Wynn is running Sonar on? Or how slimmed down his plug-ins are? I'm genuinely curious about him running 175 tracks. 

Brian

robert_e_bone
Re: Status of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected) 2014/09/02 01:58:10 (permalink)

Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
brconflict
Re: Status of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected) 2014/09/02 09:47:38 (permalink)
Bob, in the last links you posted, these are PT rigs. Did I miss something?

Brian

robert_e_bone
Re: Status of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected) 2014/09/02 12:22:18 (permalink)
I just quickly found and posted a few links I found on that individual's studio run down and some articles.  The studio seems to advertise Pro Tools, but since he seems to have used Sonar for some projects, I thought perhaps he either brought in hit own computer, or they also have Sonar and it is just not listed.  Many studios have multiple sets of recording software, to be as competitive as possible.

I did not pre-screen them for Sonar content - they were just meant to be a starting point for showing that there is info out there on the individual.

HOPEFULLY, there are additional links showing/describing his use of Sonar.  (I posted those in the wee hours, and didn't thoroughly go through them first).

Bob Bone

brconflict
Re: Status of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected) 2014/09/02 14:37:49 (permalink)
Yeah, I've seen/heard of studios beginning to stock more disparate DAW machines in case someone needed them. I like to see that.

Brian

robert_e_bone
Re: Status of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected) 2014/09/02 16:00:50 (permalink)
Here is a great YouTube video of him - he's really talking about the Intel platform, but shows him with a Sonar project open:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xi6xVRnSuv0

Bob Bone

John T
Max Output Level: -7.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6783
Re: Status of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected) 2014/09/02 22:08:28 (permalink)
I just worked on an LP where the artist brought in stuff he'd initially built up in Ableton. We exported it, got it up on the Pro Tools rig in the studio we were using, carried on from there in Pro Tools, then exported all that so I could bring it to my place to mix in Sonar. You know, WAV files.

This idea that Pro Tools is the only pro platform is bunk, seriously. It's common, and it's worth knowing, but that's about all I'd say. Only being able to deal with one DAW is hardly the hallmark of a working audio professional in the year 2014. I daresay it never was.

And you know, I quite like Pro Tools. I think it's reasonably good. You can make good records with it *as part of your overall set of tools). But all this angst about which DAW is the Real DAW is very misplaced. It's not like guys in big studios love it or anything. Frequently quite the opposite.

http://johntatlockaudio.com/
Self-build PC // 16GB RAM // i7 3770k @ 3.5 Ghz // Nofan 0dB cooler // ASUS P8-Z77 V Pro motherboard // Intel x-25m SSD System Drive // Seagate RAID Array Audio Drive // Windows 10 64 bit // Sonar Platinum (64 bit) // Sonar VS-700 // M-Audio Keystation Pro 88 // KRK RP-6 Monitors // and a bunch of other stuff
brconflict
Re: Status of X4? (Confirmed or Suspected) 2014/09/03 10:09:04 (permalink)
I don't think anyone is saying ProTools is the "only" Pro rig. It's just the Industry Standard, and assumed that every studio should have it or else they're not a real studio. I believe that much is not bunk, but a farce.

If I were totally schooled on PT, I probably would love it just as much, but I agree with others who have remarked that PT is typically behind on supporting the latest native hardware and OS (Windows, mostly) versions. Personally, I think the total abandonment of RTAS in light of AAX, another proprietary protocol is also a farce, and quite frankly, anyone who uses plug-ins, such as Waves, finance such firms to develop AAX versions of their plug-ins. So, my WUP $$ and purchase new Waves plug-ins partially went to building AAX versions of Waves plug-ins vs. going solely to Support or developing new, and innovative plug-ins. PT has enough of a stranglehold on the industry that plug-in makers feel the need to develop the next enforced trend of PT.

Although I've been told that AAX has drastically improved how plug-ins work within the PT framework, there's still, in my mind, no excuse for not opening PT up to VST2/3. I wouldn't have a problem with other DAW's supporting AAX, but as you can see, Avid has a tendency to simply abandon a protocol, such as RTAS with the most crude and baffling backward-support of RTAS (which is: Install PT10).

At least Sonar is willing to embrace newer plug-in versions with backward compatibility. That was a sell for me away from PT, not to mention PT is definitely not intuitive. I need training or manuals to use PT.

Brian

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1