Helpful ReplyTrouble in Paradise

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
dubdisciple
Max Output Level: -17 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 5849
Re: Trouble in Paradise 2014/09/02 15:32:42 (permalink)
Machineclaw..I don't think one person made a claim to the contrary. Although you don't own the software in the same way that you own a book, most EULA do not state or even imply an expiration to usage. The fact that the software will eventually be obsolete makes that a non-issue.
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Trouble in Paradise 2014/09/02 20:43:40 (permalink)
 I'm bettin' that most of these promotions are funded by Pace.  You are seeing developers moving away from iLok or giving you an option. (UVI)

Food for thought:

The closest thing to that is iLok. But the problem with a system like that is that it gives the most important control of your product to another company...and you have to go along with their way of doing things, even if that's NOT the way you want to do business. Not only that, but if something happens to that company or that system, then it affects everybody...hundreds of products and hundreds of thousands of users! The concept of paying for a system like that, when we can do a better job of it in-house is extremely distasteful to me.
It's weird....we lose some sales to Pro Tools users because we don't use iLok and they prefer to have a dongle. But if we did, there are many thousands more of our users that would hate going to a dongle system. (and offering both dongle and dongless methods just complicates things, providing less reliability, more tech support and less security as well).
I just would never trust another company (especially PACE) with such a valuable and key part of my business and how I interact with my customers.  Eric Persing Founder of Spectrasonics.
dubdisciple
Re: Trouble in Paradise 2014/09/02 21:19:49 (permalink)
Interesting stance and even more interesting coming directly from a software maker.
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Trouble in Paradise 2014/09/02 21:54:46 (permalink)
bitflipper
I will never buy another Waves product; their emails get deleted without reading.

Save yourself all that pesky deleting 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
Re: Trouble in Paradise 2014/09/02 22:00:42 (permalink)
Sanderxpander
dubdisciple
My dabbling in cracked software was years ago as well.  The whole concept was fairly new.  Like most of the people (at least most that I encountered) most of the downloading resulted in installing, looking at it for a few days and then ignoring. 

If you were downloading, the concept wasn't new anymore. Does anyone remember the "Crazy Bits" cd series? They were cd's full of warez that came out every month or two. They were handled like drugs in the sense that you had to "know a guy who knows a guy" and it was never clear where they actually came from :)

When I mentioned viruses, I specifically meant pro audio software. A copy of Nero once tried to eat my computer. Luckily I caught it in time. Still, even if it's five percent or less, it's another good reason not to use that stuff.

When I was at school we passed around C90 cassette tapes with tons of games on them. I remember a few games that had some kind of license protection where you were given some colored boxes on screen and you had to match them with boxes on the cassette cover (or something) but those were few and far between. When the Amiga and ST came out piracy was rampant as well. When it's that common, people don't even stop to consider if it's wrong because everyone is doing it. Safety in numbers. I don't even think the motive was 100% money, although that was a big part of it. It was also the cool factor of loading a disc that had those fantastic hacker intros. Some of the graphics they were showcasing in those intros and demos were better than anything the "pro" software companies were doing. 

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
JohnKenn
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1659
Re: Trouble in Paradise 2014/09/03 02:06:48 (permalink)
Dub,

No apologies needed, after all, I started this mess.

Machine, point well taken. Don't entirely agree with you, but in a court of law you have the upper hand. Too rude and crude here to sort it out, but can't rule out that you may also have the higher hand otherwise. Don't know.

Not the most evolved entity crawling around on all fours, so see some issues gut level as black and white, where better souls can see shades or gray.

My frustration in innocent activation failures and anger in deliberate ripoffs is that the EULA grants our license to USE the software, not to struggle for hours or days trying to get something to work that has failed and is costing you time, grief, energy, resources to fix. Demeaning and degrading treatment as a company has to research why you are trying to obtain additional activations.

My crashes with innocent failures have cost me money and credibility. Money would have been nice, but credibility not easily fixed. We are not compensated for the PACE and Ilock failures. Energy expenditure, like going to see a doctor and being told to show up 15 minutes before the appointment and having to wait 3 hours. What are the hours worth.

Crashes with deliberate immoral company ripoffs have cost those bastards getting another cent out of me, for what insignificant impact it will have. Won't drag multiple companies thru the mud who have screwed me, but when Waves terminated my transfer of GTR Solo, it was a new game. They only demanded $20 or the like ransom to allow any more transfers and said they would not invade my computer and disable the existing program, but the new rules were that I now have to fire up the credit card to allow transfer to another computer.

Took less that 3 minutes to find the GTR crack, so Waves can put it where the sun don't shine. Me and Waves are cool now. GTR is collecting dust, but goes wherever it wants to go. The bastards won't get another cent out of me for anything. Sure, maybe the EULA in some fine print sleight of hand gave up my "legal" rights. My point in all this is trying to find the ethical balance between legal and moral. What does the little guy have the moral right to do when the big guys are out to premeditated criminally bury you.

John
kitekrazy1
Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3524
Re: Trouble in Paradise 2014/09/03 10:14:22 (permalink)
dubdisciple
Interesting stance and even more interesting coming directly from a software maker.

Some are more into satisfying the end user over protecting their product.  That's where my money goes.
dubdisciple
Re: Trouble in Paradise 2014/09/03 15:06:19 (permalink)
kitekrazy1
dubdisciple

Some are more into satisfying the end user over protecting their product.  That's where my money goes.

Kite, maybe it's my cynicism or my personal experiences working for huge companies, but it is rare when I actually believe that companies ever put customer satisfaction as a priority over their own self -serving interests, even if they maintain the illusion of such. I once worked for a company where part of my job was to re-word the truth into something that was not exactly honest but technically not a lie for the sole purpose of making oujr company look like they cared more about clients than they did. Perception often trumps reality.  I don't know if Mr. Persings stance is out of deep concern for customner experience or the admitted fact that he hates relinquishing power.  For all I know he may have done the math and decided that a formula accounting for clients willing to use ilok vs those who don't and taking into account licensing costs did not asdd up to a bottom line figure he was comfortable with.  The possibilities are endless and without knowing him personally, those possibilities will remain endless regardless of how any of us choose to paint his motives.
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Trouble in Paradise 2014/09/03 17:37:36 (permalink)
Self-interest is always the top priority, and not just big companies. The same holds true for labor unions, clubs, churches, government bureaucracies, PETA and the Boy Scouts. Any organization, big or small, that claims to put its customers/members/clients' interests first is either lying or delusional. 

Second-highest priority is protecting the organizations' principals. Not principles, principals.

Third priority is looking after the company's products or services, making sure they're just good enough and priced just low enough to be competitive, but neither excessively good nor overly cheap. 

Customers might manage to rank fourth, but only for organizations that are "service oriented" or "customer oriented". Your cable company does not put you fourth. Nor does your credit card company, your mortgage company, your grocer, nor your barrista - unless you're a very good tipper.

The only one who'll ever put you first is your Mom, and even that's not a given.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
JohnKenn
Max Output Level: -58.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1659
Re: Trouble in Paradise 2014/09/03 20:29:52 (permalink)
Thanks Bit,

Guardedly think I can trust my Mom even if everything else is in question...

John
bitflipper
01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
  • Total Posts : 26036
Re: Trouble in Paradise 2014/09/03 21:39:15 (permalink)
I'm an orphan.

But I don't just sit in my cave with a sharp stick, waiting to poke the eyes out of the first human who looks at me sideways.That's because although Mom is gone I still have grandkids. They will always hold me in high esteem as long as I have a few bucks in my pocket for candy and movie tickets.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1