Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems?

Author
Anderton
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 14070
2014/09/05 02:18:03 (permalink)

Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems?

Yes, I pay attention to this forum. And quite often there are threads along the lines of some weird issue that hasn't happened before and leaves everyone else scratching their heads, error logs that identify strange DLLs, instruments that don't show up, etc. And then there are the threads where this kind of stuff happens and people re-install Sonar, and that fixes the problem. The logical conclusion therefore seems to be that Sonar got corrupted and re-installing fixed it.

Well, there was another one of these "corner case" issues of some people not being able to install SD3. There were too many of them for it to be someone's odd system problem yet I don't think this is something that happens all the time or the forum would be up in arms. 

scook pointed to this knowledge base article: http://www.cakewalk.com/S...recognized-by-SONAR-X3

And I couldn't help but notice that this referenced the Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable and how Sonar is missing certain files from same. Also, there are some other threads floating around with crash dumps that reference DLLs found in Visual C ++.

So, smart computer people, I have two questions:

1. When people fix a problem by re-installing Sonar, what are the odds that they're fixing the problem because Sonar is installing files from the included Visual C++ Redistributable that were overwritten, missing, abducted by alien code snatchers, or whatever?

2. If all else fails and someone feels they need to re-install Sonar, would it make more sense to try re-installing the Visual C ++ Redistributable that comes with Sonar first rather than Sonar itself?

Enquiring minds want to know...

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!

24 Replies Related Threads

Splat
    • Total Posts : 8672
    Re: Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems? 2014/09/05 09:13:51 (permalink)
    Makes no difference the order you install it. The error itself could be with the distributable or the application calling it (Sonar).

It makes sense to update the c++ distributable first to the latest and not reinstall anything, all versions are backward compatible. Often (not always) windows update (you need to check optional updates as well) will sort it as well.

If there is corruption (rare) SFC /scannow may fix it.

In my experience often (not always) the issue occurs when windows update isn't run very often or an application didn't update itself correctly or bundle the correct library.

Sell by date at 9000 posts. Do not feed.
    @48/24 & 128 buffers latency is 367 with offset of 38.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
    musicroom
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2421
    Re: Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems? 2014/09/05 09:45:31 (permalink)
    I'm watching this thread w interest. Having problems in the past until I reformatted and reinstalled the OS /x3. All is well now, but the fact I had so many c++ redistributables installed back then bothered me. Now as new programs come along, many of them automatically install yet another older version of the c++ redistributable. They are starting to pile up in numbers again. That approach appears unnecessary and worries me that trouble lies ahead.

Dave
    Songs

Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems? 2014/09/05 09:53:24 (permalink)
    I don't have a lot of experience with this with Sonar exactly, but I will say it is a nightmare to try and navigate all the possible Visual C++ redistribution packages offered by Microsoft directly. If there were some kind of "repair" option in the Sonar installation that would definitely be helpful.
    Anderton
    Re: Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems? 2014/09/05 10:21:46 (permalink)
    Sanderxpander
    If there were some kind of "repair" option in the Sonar installation that would definitely be helpful.

Interesting. I wonder if having "repair" simply re-install the C++ stuff would solve a lot of people's issues. I don't experience the off-the-wall problems some people have, or find the need to re-install Sonar. I attributed a lot of this to the reliability of the PC Audio Labs computer, but the various threads about possible C++ issues make me wonder if the fact that I don't do a lot of new installations that install their own Microsoft library variants might be a contributing factor. 

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    Splat
    Re: Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems? 2014/09/05 10:37:43 (permalink)
    The repair simply looks at a file and check to see if it is the right one with an appropriate checksum. Sorting out the libraries will only resolve issues relating to c++ DLL's (found through some error reporting mechanism such as the windows event viewer). I wouldn't recommend playing with c++ libraries unless an identified c++ error could be located (usually a c++ DLL failure) or windows update recommend a patch.. Cheers.

Sonar Platinum(64 bit),Win 8.1(64 bit),Saffire Pro 40(Firewire),Mix Control = 3.4,Firewire=VIA,Dell Studio XPS 8100(Intel Core i7 CPU 2.93 Ghz/16 Gb),4 x Seagate ST31500341AS (mirrored),GeForce GTX 460,Yamaha DGX-505 keyboard,Roland A-300PRO,Roland SPD-30 V2,FD-8,Triggera Krigg,Shure SM7B,Yamaha HS5.Maschine Studio+Komplete 9 Ultimate+Kontrol Z1.Addictive Keys,Izotope Nectar elements,Overloud Bundle,Geist.Acronis True Image 2014.
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems? 2014/09/05 10:45:06 (permalink)
    Certain development code is dependent on certain levels of maintenance having been applied to Windows.  This is why (think it was X2), was the last version some folks could install, if they had XP, because the Sonar update had a minimum requirement of a set of C++ redistributable routines that only came into existence with Windows 7 Service Pack 1, so XP would NEVER be able to run beyond whatever that last release was prior to the one that needed Win 7 SP 1.

Many applications require particular versions of run-time executable routines to be present, and I wish these programs would check for newer versions, to see if the older ones were really required, but for whatever reason they don't, so a bunch of older run-time libraries end up getting installed.

I just put up with it, and wish someone would simplify things so that if older routines are covered by newer library releases, why not fix it so the older libraries can be removed.

Maybe that is just wishful thinking, 

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems? 2014/09/05 10:49:58 (permalink)
    This would be something to take up with Noel. The support folks at CW must look at a lot of dumps, and may even keep statistics about faulting modules. If so, they'd be able to tell you how common problems relating directly to C++ library version mismatches really are.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    robert_e_bone
    • Total Posts : 8968
    Re: Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems? 2014/09/05 12:12:52 (permalink)
    Well, I have been involved with multiple threads, maybe 3-5 or so, from folks where C++ runtime libraries were the heart of the problem.

It is one of the reasons folks ask if Windows maintenance is up to date, as some folks choose not to run updates for Windows for really long periods of time.

Others do not know they need to.

I see this pop up maybe every six months or so, it depends on if a given release or maintenance update has dependencies and folks start downloading and applying them, and all of a sudden someone's computer will go 'nope - not this time buddy', and we have to dig into maintenance levels and such, usually with Dependency Walker, sometimes Cakewalk will dig things up in dumps.

Bob Bone

Wisdom is a giant accumulation of "DOH!"

Sonar: Platinum (x64), X3 (x64) 
    Audio Interfaces: AudioBox 1818VSL, Steinberg UR-22
    Computers: 1) i7-2600 k, 32 GB RAM, Windows 8.1 Pro x64 & 2) AMD A-10 7850 32 GB RAM Windows 10 Pro x64
    Soft Synths: NI Komplete 8 Ultimate, Arturia V Collection, many others
    MIDI Controllers: M-Audio Axiom Pro 61, Keystation 88es
    Settings: 24-Bit, Sample Rate 48k, ASIO Buffer Size 128, Total Round Trip Latency 9.7 ms  
    slartabartfast
    Max Output Level: -22.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5289
    Re: Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems? 2014/09/05 12:58:30 (permalink)
    CakeAlexS

It makes sense to update the c++ distributable first to the latest and not reinstall anything, all versions are backward compatible. 

Do you have a reference for this? The experience of thousands of users in forum problem reports seems to indicate that some code at least is written to require specific versions of the runtime, and will not work with more recent versions.
    Jim Roseberry
    • Total Posts : 9871
    Re: Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems? 2014/09/05 14:18:51 (permalink)
    IME, a lot of odd issues happen as a result of individual applications expecting a certain version of C++ runtime.
    The latest version *should* work fine... especially if you're running recent release software... but that's not always the case.

As others mentioned, the first thing I'd do is get the OS up-to-the-minute.
    If that fails to resolve the issue, I'd do a full/manual uninstall of Sonar *and* the C++ Runtime libraries.
    That means getting rid of all traces of Sonar (including Registry entries).

I can't stress this point enough... but when everything is running well, that's exactly the time you want to create a backup image file using True Image, Paragon, or similar.  If anything odd happens to foul up your configuration, you can reload that backup image file and be back to a properly functioning DAW in just a few minutes.
    If you're under tight deadlines or dealing with clients in-the-studio, this is even more important.
    This can save hours and days of potential frustration and down-time!!!
    It's human nature to put-off backups when all is working well.
    After all... it isn't a problem... uhhh... until it's a problem.  
    Take the time to backup.

Best Regards,

Jim Roseberry
    jim@studiocat.com
    www.studiocat.com
    joakes
    Max Output Level: -72 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 905
    Re: Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems? 2014/09/05 14:43:16 (permalink)
    Nice thread Craig !

In Control Panel -> Programmes, I have multiple entries for Visual C++ 2005, 2008, 2010 and 2012. OK, given some are x86 and others x64, can I delete the double entries ?

I get the impression every programme using such libraries installs its own version. I am probably wrong, but then why do I have, for example, 5 different version numbers of C++ 2008 (x64) Redistributabl ?

Yours perplexed !
    Jerry

Built by yours truely : I7-2600@3.4GHz, Asus P67Z68, W10x64 Creator Edition, 32GB RAM, 3 HD's, nVidia 760 GT, Focusrite 18i20 2,d Gen + Ti FW, Oxygen 61 iv Gen, and Edirol SD-20 (yes it works), CbB, Teles, Strats, LP's, Epi Riviera, etc
    Sanderxpander
    Max Output Level: -36.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3873
    Re: Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems? 2014/09/05 14:55:45 (permalink)
    I think my point about the nightmare is well proven :)
    I think it would be a good idea if Sonar could reinstall its own dependency libraries through some kind of "repair" option in the installer.
    cclarry
    • Total Posts : 20964
    Re: Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems? 2014/09/05 19:18:59 (permalink)
    One of the major causes of issues is "Multiple Versions" of the Visual C++ Redistributable being installed.

I check my "Programs and Features" section regularly to eliminate the multiples and only leave
    behind the current version of each...2005, 2008, 2012, 2013, etc...in both 32 bit and 64 bit versions.
    This has eliminated all my issues.

Also, once this is done, if I reinstall a program that tries to install a VC++R, I cancel it before it can 
    install.  The Program install always finishes and everything is fine. It's extra work, but it saves me a 
    LOT of headaches I've found...

mettelus
    Max Output Level: -22 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 5321
    Re: Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems? 2014/09/05 20:14:04 (permalink)
    I agree with Dave about getting Noel involved, as the term "LOT" in the title seems misleading based on questions in the forum.

[Even on issues beyond the C++ Redistributable] The "repair" option is the most feasible; however, due to the customization/registry edits made by the user, this option is not as "cut and dry" as it would appear on paper. To validate files/registry pointers, a file would be required for each person's install, and manual edits to these would be missed unless logged during the startup of SONAR itself (which would encompass a bit of programming overhead).

ASUS ROG Maximus X Hero (Wi-Fi AC), i7-8700k, 16GB RAM, GTX-1070Ti, Win 10 Pro, Saffire PRO 24 DSP, A-300 PRO, plus numerous gadgets and gizmos that make or manipulate sound in some way.
    TomHelvey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 537
    Re: Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems? 2014/09/05 23:04:36 (permalink)

System: i7-6900, 64Gb, AMI X99 Carbon Pro Gaming, AMD Radeon HD 7700, Win 10 Pro
    PCIe: UAD Octo
    USB: MOTU midi express 128, OB-6 Module, Akai MPK-249, Moog SUB 37, Antelope Orion 32 HD, Softube Console 1, iLok, eLicenser
    DAW: Cubase Pro, Ableton Live, Sonar Platinum
    Plugins: Waves, UAD, Xfer, Lennar Digital, u-he, Reveal Sound, Spectrasonics, SoundToys, VPS, Blue Cat, iZotope, NI, Valhalla, Lexicon, etc.

https://soundcloud.com/thomas-helvey
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems? 2014/09/06 10:05:37 (permalink)
    The problem of file version dependencies has been around for as long as late-linking has, going back at least to Windows 3.1. There's even a long-established name for the phenomenon: DLL Hell. I remember dealing with similar issues even before Windows existed, when I was doing O/S support for a mainframe manufacturer.

When I first starting distributing my own application back around 1996, my business partner did most of the installs. We pulled more than a few all-nighters back then troubleshooting DLL conflicts, he in some remote city, me back here on the phone.

I finally wrote a diagnostic program that finds all of our program's dependencies and their dependencies, compares versions to what we expect, verifies that registered libraries have been registered, and enumerates duplicates. This diagnostic was then incorporated into our standard install so that every workstation has a copy. DLL conflicts still occur, but now we can quickly identify and fix them.

Over the subsequent years I've extended that approach to make my application largely self-diagnosing, self-documenting, and in some cases self-correcting. I don't have as big an installed base as Cakewalk, but I couldn't possibly support as many remote users as I do without some software assistance. If I had as many seats as CW has to support, I'd definitely make my product self-diagnosing.

Adding minidumps at SONAR 8 was a big step in that direction for CW. Prior to that, figuring out which plugin had crashed the DAW was a guessing game. If I were in Noel's shoes I'd be looking at automated diagnostics such as a version checker, a debug logger and perhaps a basic minidump analyzer, and bundling them with SONAR. Their support staff should be lobbying for this, too.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Anderton
    Re: Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems? 2014/09/06 11:55:27 (permalink)
    mettelus
    I agree with Dave about getting Noel involved, as the term "LOT" in the title seems misleading based on questions in the forum.

Well, that's why I'm asking the question...I don't have an answer, but if you discount pilot error issues and known bugs, I see a lot (there's that word again!) of threads where people have some off-the-wall issue and the thread ends with "well I re-installed Sonar and now it's working." I don't know much about about software, but I don't think programs tend to go "stale" by themselves; as pointed out by people who know a whole lot more about this than I ever will, there are dependencies in Windows that can get out of sync with the C++ libraries. At least I think that's what people are saying. 

I haven't escalated this to Noel because I thought there might be an answer that's obvious to anyone who really knows software (and this forum has quite a few such people - see the above post).

scook
    Forum Host
    • Total Posts : 24146
    Re: Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems? 2014/09/06 12:26:54 (permalink)
    Unless I have seen recent examples of a particular problem posted and resolved by MS library updates, I don't usually mention it as a solution. I refer those cases to tech support. The SD3 issue was one which played out on the forum. It was an instance where Noel intervened and suggested using a dependency walker tool which lead to the resolution and ultimately (I suspect) the knowledge base article. As an example of another library specific issue in SONAR, IIRC, SONAR use to ship with two run time libraries because the VC-64 could not run without an older version of the library.

As far a re-installing SONAR, I have never done it. Can't credit the my hardware though. I use off the shelf general purpose machines configured and used for a variety of applications.

There are instances where installations have failed and re-installs fix the problem. Re-installing software fixes registry problems , file and configuration issues which to some extent can be repaired with SHIFT or CTRL+SHIFT when starting SONAR. I would suspect there are also cases of user error which appear to be fixed by re-installing software when in fact some subtle change in usage actually solved the issue.
    Guitarpima
    Max Output Level: -34 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 4125
    Re: Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems? 2014/09/06 13:05:35 (permalink)
    Sorry if I'm repeating.

I had a situation once where my IK plugs would not work. I was at a loss and finally found a tidbit of info that worked a charm and fixed my problem. I went to the Microsoft site and found the C++ runtime files, in this case the 2005 version, downloaded it and installed it. (Beware, only use these distributions from Microsoft) I was back up and not using Amplitube 3 still, but not because it didn't work. ;-)

A little off topic about A3. I don't understand why it has two inputs in the audio setup. I set the 2nd one to something that would get no signal and would you believe it sounded better? (shaking my head)

Notation, the original DAW. Everything else is just rote. We are who we are and no more than another. Humans, you people are crazy.

Win 7 x64  X2  Intel DX58SO, Intel i7 920 2.66ghz 12gb DDR3  ASUS ATI EAH5750  650w PSU 4x WD HDs 320gb  DVD, DVD RW Eleven Rack, KRK Rokit 8s and 10s sub
    sock monkey
    Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 547
    Re: Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems? 2014/09/07 02:18:54 (permalink)
    Sort of on topic,,, so on a new OS install Is it best to let all windows updates do their thing BEFORE installing your audio software?? I just did it backwards and it's not running very good DPCLAT wise... Never had the red spikes before... So I was tempting the re install Sonar/  Focusrite driver plan??  I do remember a few of my software programs installed C++ in the mess... Then Windows update did a bunch too.. 

Cakelab - Sonar X3e Studio   
    Singer Songwriter, Solo Performer, Acoustic Duo and semi pro Sound Monkey.   

Splat
    Re: Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems? 2014/09/07 10:18:05 (permalink)
    It should not matter at all in theory but I would definately recommended running windows update several times directly after installing Windows before installing any other software just for a smoother ride.

After you've installed all your software run it again.

sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems? 2014/09/07 11:32:23 (permalink)
    Guitarpima
    A little off topic about A3. I don't understand why it has two inputs in the audio setup. I set the 2nd one to something that would get no signal and would you believe it sounded better? (shaking my head)

Not sure if this is what you mean, but you can enable stereo routing in Amplitube via 2 of the 8 routing presets (the numbers on the top left of the window). Numbers 2 and 6 give you the option of changing the "mono in" setting to "stereo in," after which you can then process the left and right channels separately with different stomps, amps, cabs and racks. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    ston
    Max Output Level: -71 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 965
    Re: Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems? 2014/09/09 07:27:35 (permalink)
    joakes
    In Control Panel -> Programmes, I have multiple entries for Visual C++ 2005, 2008, 2010 and 2012. OK, given some are x86 and others x64, can I delete the double entries ?

I get the impression every programme using such libraries installs its own version. I am probably wrong, but then why do I have, for example, 5 different version numbers of C++ 2008 (x64) Redistributabl ?

Yours perplexed !

I would suggest keeping both the x86 and x64 versions; the WOW64 emulator will probably need to hook into the x86 version(s) for 32-bit application support.

As I understand it, you can have multiple versions of the same redistributable installed, but it is the most recent version which will be used.  e.g. I have 3x x86 2008 and 3x x64 2008 redistributable packages installed on my work laptop, but that's really like a record of install history; only the code from the most recent version(s) of the runtimes will be used.  You could roll-back an install if required, the installer should be able to revert the runtime library version without causing any problems.

As for the OP's question, as re-installing the redistributable runtime takes very little time, it makes sense to try this first.  I'm not 100% what happens if the version you are trying to reinstall is earlier than the latest which is installed, so in that case it would make sense to uninstall any later versions first.  I would take the approach of uninstalling all versions before reinstalling the version I wanted.

Splat
    Re: Hey People Who Know About Computers - Is this a Fix for a LOT of "Sonar" Problems? 2014/09/10 15:20:13 (permalink)
    Please do not uninstall C++ libraries. Upgrade yes, repair yes, but don't uninstall (unless there is no option) as it could lead to far more serious problems (you are playing with fire).

And C++ libraries aren't ever an issue until you see a specific related issue logged. If in any doubt run windows update (including optional updates) several times which will sort out most problems.

Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1