Helpful ReplyThe most annoying thing about web pages is...

Author
sharke
Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 13933
2014/09/10 15:56:20 (permalink)

The most annoying thing about web pages is...

This applies mostly to mobile sites but it's sometimes an issue on desktop sites too.

I HATE it when I try to tap a link as the page is loading, but just before I tap it some element or other of the page loads and makes the page jump suddenly, making me miss the link and hit something else.

You'd think web designers would have fixed this issue by now. Or is it impossible? I can't see why the browser couldn't work out the size of all page elements first and create placeholder boxes which would retain their size as each element was loaded. Would this be possible somehow?

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
craigb
  • Total Posts : 41704
Re: The most annoying thing about web pages is... 2014/09/10 16:21:07 (permalink)
Patience link hopper.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: The most annoying thing about web pages is... 2014/09/10 16:33:31 (permalink)
It's easy to fix - but it would mean the web designers would have to get rid of all the useless, unnecessary crap they insist on adding to every page that prevents things from loading quickly.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
tKx5050
Max Output Level: -86 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 221
Re: The most annoying thing about web pages is... 2014/09/10 17:12:18 (permalink)
I almost believe it's intentional. Drive up ad click revenues.

Steve

Sonar Platinum, Quad-Capture, I7-3770, 32Gb
Rain
  • Total Posts : 9736
Re: The most annoying thing about web pages is... 2014/09/10 19:03:06 (permalink)
One of my pet peeves - on web sites like CBS, commercial breaks that take over the player making the playback and volume control unavailable. The only way to pause playback or hit mute is to click on the screen - which of course generates a click because it leads you directly to the advertising company's web site.

I don't know if those companies realize that annoying tactics such as these mean that I (and others I assume) will systematically boycott them  - I'm talking to you Khol, Target, Microsoft...

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
sharke
Re: The most annoying thing about web pages is... 2014/09/10 23:51:08 (permalink)
I think auto-playing videos on news sites is my second peeve. There is nothing worse than visiting a page and before you have time to react, some loud ass local news jingle starts blasting through your speakers. Any kind of auto-playing audio is extremely bad web etiquette. I thought most web designers had learned that by the year 2000 but obviously not...

James
Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: The most annoying thing about web pages is... 2014/09/11 08:08:06 (permalink)
I'm right there with you!  it bugs the begeebers out of me to tap or click on something before the page finishes jumping back and forth.  sometimes the page even disappears near the end of loading everything just to reappear with everything loaded.  that bugs me too.

and the autoplay is AWFUL!  I've even run across some sites which didn't even have a way to turn it OFF!!!

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
drewfx1
Max Output Level: -9.5 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 6585
Re: The most annoying thing about web pages is... 2014/09/11 11:48:05 (permalink)
Some browsers can be configured to only load plugins on demand.

In order, then, to discover the limit of deepest tones, it is necessary not only to produce very violent agitations in the air but to give these the form of simple pendular vibrations. - Hermann von Helmholtz, predicting the role of the electric bassist in 1877.
craigb
Re: The most annoying thing about web pages is... 2014/09/11 12:53:34 (permalink) ☄ Helpfulby bapu 2014/09/11 13:02:57
Beagle
and the autoplay is AWFUL!  I've even run across some sites which didn't even have a way to turn it OFF!!!

NagBap plug-in? 

bapu
  • Total Posts : 86000
Re: The most annoying thing about web pages is... 2014/09/11 13:13:36 (permalink)
Given that are umty-eleben ways (i.e. languages/tech ctacks) to build web sites, no standards have yet to be agreed upon (nor proposed) since every tech stack thinks THEY have the answer.

Unlike the DAW world, eh?

Just export/import a .wav, .omf, .mp3, .dot.dot.dot sumpin

Just make sure it's the right bit and sample rate else your friends DAW will puke.
craigb
Re: The most annoying thing about web pages is... 2014/09/11 16:37:10 (permalink)
HTML Producer X5a?

Beagle
  • Total Posts : 50621
Re: The most annoying thing about web pages is... 2014/09/11 17:13:53 (permalink)
craigb
HTML Producer X5a?

with skylight.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
craigb
Re: The most annoying thing about web pages is... 2014/09/11 17:17:30 (permalink)
Beagle
craigb
HTML Producer X5a?

with skylight.

And, as we all know, skylight's leak.

Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 751
Re: The most annoying thing about web pages is... 2014/09/11 17:39:51 (permalink)
I agree it's super annoying.

sharke

You'd think web designers would have fixed this issue by now. Or is it impossible? I can't see why the browser couldn't work out the size of all page elements first and create placeholder boxes which would retain their size as each element was loaded. Would this be possible somehow?

It's not impossible but probably not worth sinking the time to fix it for every browser flavor and variation. 

In theory - it is supposed to work exactly as you describe the stylesheet or inline style rules would dictate the page layout. In practice things like not specifying image dimensions or injecting content with javascript will trigger a repaint when the image is downloaded and the dimensions are calculated.

We use both PageSpeed and YSlow to measure and tinker with page render times on our sites. Google has an entire page dedicated to reflow: https://developers.google.com/speed/articles/reflow

Responsive and "mobile" sites can make it even trickier. The user flips their phone and it triggers a repaint.

Willy Jones 
Cakewalk
sharke
Re: The most annoying thing about web pages is... 2014/09/12 00:36:20 (permalink)
Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
I agree it's super annoying.

sharke

It's not impossible but probably not worth sinking the time to fix it for every browser flavor and variation. 

In theory - it is supposed to work exactly as you describe the stylesheet or inline style rules would dictate the page layout. In practice things like not specifying image dimensions or injecting content with javascript will trigger a repaint when the image is downloaded and the dimensions are calculated.

We use both PageSpeed and YSlow to measure and tinker with page render times on our sites. Google has an entire page dedicated to reflow: https://developers.google.com/speed/articles/reflow

Responsive and "mobile" sites can make it even trickier. The user flips their phone and it triggers a repaint.

Well it's good to know that it's a talked about issue anyway. I would disagree that it's not worth working on these issues though. User experience should be a priority at the consumer level at least. It just seems that, despite the amazing advances in computing power and the complexity of the software which comes along with it, user experience is not keeping up. I get frustrated with interfaces every day - sluggishness, unresponsiveness, not doing what they're supposed to be doing etc. Many hair-tearing experiences using my iPhone for example. I look forward to a day in which everything is brain powered and operates at the speed of light (with no bugs) 

James
Beepster
  • Total Posts : 18001
Re: The most annoying thing about web pages is... 2014/09/12 07:42:52 (permalink)
This is one of the many reasons I'm trying to keep things as simple as possible with my site design. The less scripts and doodads the less this type of stuff happens and since it annoys me to no end it would be kind of hypocritical of me to make my own visitors endure it.

That said... I'm surprised you guys aren't using NoScript. It stops pretty much all that crap and just loads the fundamentals. You'd think that would screw up the sites beyond use but 95% of the time, if you are just reading something, it's totally fine and if something does screwup you can usually just add the main domain and maybe one or two others (in the case of streaming audio/video) and you have all the content without all the extra annoying crap.

Between NoScript and ABP (and making sure they're set up correctly) I haven't seen an ad in YEARS except on the very rare occasions when those addons didn't load properly. Somehow they even manage to get rid of those preroll ads on youtube and news sites. I went to visit my mom a while back and was using her laptop while I was there and it was screwed the hell up. I wanted to do clean wipe on it but didn't have time. There were so many godamned popups and sidebars and banners and autoplay crap on all my usual site it was horrible (and SLOOOOOW as hell). I reinstalled Firefox (which had become completely corrupted somehow), put the add ons on and it was pretty much just like working on my laptop at home.

The only real pain in the ass with those programs is trying to figure out which scripts need to be allowed to make certain elements work. Some sites will have a dozen or more extra sites listed all trying to load extra crap so figuring out where a video is hosted or what is needed to fill out forms can be a bit confusing but I've gotten familiar with the more common site names that can be trusted and what the garbage sites feeding ads and spying are. Simple google searches reveal who's who.

I personally think it's worth the trade off to get the extra load speed, security and not having to look at all that garrish nonsense assaulting my eyeballs. Autoplay ads also scare the piss out of me too when I'm not expecting them. lol

On a side note, sharke... when you get a minute I could use your input on some stuff in this thread...

http://forum.cakewalk.com/Focusrite-VRM-Box-Users-How-are-you-guys-setting-up-the-VRM-with-Sonar-m3089016.aspx

Finally gots me a VRM Box. Woo hoo!

Cheers.
Beepster
Re: The most annoying thing about web pages is... 2014/09/12 07:49:44 (permalink)
And since I'm currently in the middle of some of this type of thing I'm wondering how much extra speed the HTML5 audio/video tags will add to things. Seems like it will help a lot since plugins like Flashplayer or whatever won't need to be triggered/launched to show stuff. Pretty cool but I probably shouldn't be hosting anything larger than images for the sake of not exceeding bandwidth limits. I will look into implementing that stuff if things go well and the profit motivation is there. Otherwise I'll just be linking out to other sites where the vids/audio will live.

Willy Jones [Cakewalk]
Cakewalk Staff
  • Total Posts : 751
Re: The most annoying thing about web pages is... 2014/09/12 10:09:34 (permalink)
sharke

Many hair-tearing experiences using my iPhone for example. 

Hahaha problem solved! Get a Nexus phone 

Beepster
The only real pain in the ass with those programs is trying to figure out which scripts need to be allowed to make certain elements work. Some sites will have a dozen or more extra sites listed all trying to load extra crap so figuring out where a video is hosted or what is needed to fill out forms can be a bit confusing but I've gotten familiar with the more common site names that can be trusted and what the garbage sites feeding ads and spying are. Simple google searches reveal who's who.

Most of those tools support wildcards, you can wildcard popular cdn's like 'ajax.googleapis.com/*' or 'maxcdn.bootstrapcdn.com/*' and 'ajax.microsoft.com/*'. Lots and lots of websites just use the popular cdn's for things like jquery, angular or bootstrap. 

Willy Jones 
Cakewalk
Beepster
Re: The most annoying thing about web pages is... 2014/09/12 10:27:46 (permalink)
Hi, Willie. Heheh... I have no idea what you just said (I'm still wrapping my head around making CSS do what I want) but googleapis is one of the permissions that usually shakes loose a site feature I need to get at. I'm assuming that's where their spiffy site building tools live which is one of the next phases of my learning process. Gotta actually have something to apply them to first before I can play with that stuff though. I might have a little beta/sandbox site going in the next couple of months to test things out. Still gonna avoid that kind of thing as much as possible.

And googleapis is something I have to allow here on the forum (along with the main domain) if I want to comment. Otherwise the comment field is inaccessible. It wasn't like that before the redesign a year or so ago. No biggie but it does then allow it on all the other tabs of other sites I have open BUT I think I may have fixed that by fiddling with my NS settings.

Very much a n00b at the web building thing. I'm currently going through everything W3schools has up step by step using my own mock up pages but Mozilla has started that new web builder initiative which might be cool.

I was also poking around the FF developer tools this morning to poke around at the guts of some websites which is pretty neat.
Jump to:
© 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1