WHERE WERE YOU WHEN IT HAPPENED ?

Author
Leadfoot
Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2817
2014/09/11 08:24:43 (permalink)

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN IT HAPPENED ?

I was driving to work listening to a funny morning show. They stopped their comedy for a minute to report the first plane. It was assumed that it was a private plane. They went back into their comedy routine and then a few minutes later they stopped again and reported the second plane. I just remember the feeling of realization of what was happening. And then the feeling of sadness, anger, and freaking out wondering what was gonna be hit next. I showed up to work, turned on the TV, and we all gathered around. No one really spoke. Not much work got done that day. A very emotional day. I will never forget it.
I also remember in the following days and weeks the incredible amount of American pride and feeling of resolve that seemed to be felt by everyone. American flags were popping up on so many houses and businesses. It was a beautiful thing to see us come together as a country. I wish that feeling could have lasted longer.
post edited by Leadfoot - 2014/09/11 08:35:13

18 Replies Related Threads

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: WHERE WERE YOU WHEN IT HAPPENED ? 2014/09/11 08:38:52 (permalink)
    I was working in a lady's house doing some electrical work. She had the TV in the den on and tuned to a news network. We were discussing some things when I noticed the scene unfolding on the TV in the background. She turned the volume up and we stood watching for several minutes. The first building had been hit, and I recalled saying at that point, even before anything else happened that what we were watching was not an accident.  As a pilot and understanding the flight rules and restrictions in that metro area..... no way was that an accident, and a few minutes later that was confirmed as additional planes hit additional targets.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    bapu
    • Total Posts : 86000
    Re: WHERE WERE YOU WHEN IT HAPPENED ? 2014/09/11 09:46:22 (permalink)
    I was sleeping (I'm on the west coast) and my (then) wife woke me up in a panic.

I have a niece who is a United Stewardess. She was out on medical leave. Her normal route was # 175.
    Mesh
    • Total Posts : 27360
    Re: WHERE WERE YOU WHEN IT HAPPENED ? 2014/09/11 09:57:52 (permalink)
    I was also in the West Coast at that time and got a call from back home with the sad news.......turn on the TV......and was silently shocked for quite some time.........

To all our fallen brothers and sisters, we salute you!!

We will NEVER forget!!

Platinum Gaming DAW: AsRock Z77 Overclock Formula
    I7 3770k @ 4.5GHz : 16GB RAM G.Skill Ripjaws X
    250GB OS SSD : 3TB HDD : 1TB Sample HDD
    Win 10 Pro x 64 : NH-D14 CPU Cooler 
    HIS IceQ  2GB HD 7870
    Focusrite Scarlett 2i4
    The_Forum_Monkeys
    sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: WHERE WERE YOU WHEN IT HAPPENED ? 2014/09/11 10:06:47 (permalink)
    I was in an empty swimming pool. I swam here every day and it was usually crowded and I couldn't understand why there was nobody in the pool this time. It was bliss and I stayed in there for almost 2 hours. Then I went to the supermarket and kept hearing snippets of people's conversations, something about people being trapped on upper floors, a fire etc. I went away thinking there had been some kind of gas explosion in some apartments or something. I forgot about it while cycling home. Then at home I turned on the TV just in time to see a replay of the first tower falling. It looked like it was being demolished and I remember thinking "why on earth would they demolish a perfectly good building like the WTC?" Then I saw footage of the plane hitting the second one and everything clicked into place (yes I was slow that day). It still bugs me now thinking back to that blissful time in the pool and knowing that while I was gliding through the water people were throwing themselves out of 80th floor windows to escape the approaching flames. 

PS I was NOT in New York then!

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    bitflipper
    01100010 01101001 01110100 01100110 01101100 01101
    • Total Posts : 26036
    Re: WHERE WERE YOU WHEN IT HAPPENED ? 2014/09/11 11:48:40 (permalink)
    I was in my home office, working, when my wife called me out into the kitchen. I have had a compulsion to turn on the TV news at breakfast time ever since.

All else is in doubt, so this is the truth I cling to. 

My Stuff
    Randy P
    Max Output Level: -44.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3070
    Re: WHERE WERE YOU WHEN IT HAPPENED ? 2014/09/11 12:09:29 (permalink)
    I was driving to an appointment here in NY. I called a friend of mine to verify our golf outing that afternoon. He works for a large defense contractor. He answered his cell in a hushed tone and quickly realized I was unaware of what was happening. He said we are under attack and that he would not be leaving his office for days or possibly weeks. He said I needed to get home and turn on the TV. I hung up just as I was approaching the toll booth on the New York State Thruway outside of Syracuse, and saw two F16 fighter jets go screaming overhead on full afterburner and loaded to the teeth with missiles. Surreal doesn't begin to describe that day.

Randy

http://www.soundclick.com/riprorenband

The music biz is a cruel and shallow money trench,a plastic hallway where thieves & pimps run free and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side. Hunter S. Thompson
    UbiquitousBubba
    • Total Posts : 8912
    Re: WHERE WERE YOU WHEN IT HAPPENED ? 2014/09/11 12:47:09 (permalink)
    I was working with a team of people in a data center. Someone used the intercom system to play a radio broadcast after the first plane hit. We all pulled up news web sites and watched live coverage in stunned confusion. When the second plane hit the WTC, awareness dawned that this was not the actions of a single lunatic. We sat, glued to web sites, watching as the story unfolded.

Emotions ranged all over the spectrum. Shock, sadness, rage, and horror ran in circles around the room. It was a terrible demonstration of humanity's capacity for evil. 
    craigb
    • Total Posts : 41704
    Re: WHERE WERE YOU WHEN IT HAPPENED ? 2014/09/11 13:02:19 (permalink)
    Was barely awake (West Coast you know) and got a call from my Mom to turn on the TV (usual comment "What channel?"  "Any channel.").  I watched the first plane with her for a bit then called a co-worker who had just returned from NY (and being on top of the towers).  While we were watching the other plane hit and we were deer in the headlights for quite a while.  I finally went into work almost two hours late and got chewed out by some asshat who couldn't care less what was happening.  I avoided him when I left work early and he wasn't saying anything to anyone the next day.

Time for all of you to head over to Beyond My DAW!
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: WHERE WERE YOU WHEN IT HAPPENED ? 2014/09/11 13:17:23 (permalink)
    I had an ARD meeting for my middle son at his middle school at 9am (Central).  My wife and I drove separate cars to the school so we could each go to our own jobs after the meeting.  This meeting was a big one because it was the first one we had with our lawyer and the school district because they were not providing an education to our disabled son.

we don't have the TV or radio on when we're getting ready for work, so we didn't hear anything about it until we got in the car.

I left the house about 8am heading to the school, as did my wife.  that's right when the 2nd plane hit the south tower.  I wept.  My heart felt so heavy for those innocent people killed that day and the loved ones, the wives, the husbands and the children of those who would never see their family again because of an act of terrorism that had nothing to do with them.

I'm tearing up now thinking about it again.  I do every time I think about it.

I also knew it meant war was coming soon and prayed that innocent lives would be spared.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    jamesg1213
    • Total Posts : 21760
    Re: WHERE WERE YOU WHEN IT HAPPENED ? 2014/09/11 13:34:12 (permalink)
    I was on the first floor of the sign manufacturing company that I ran back then, in Swindon, in the SW of England.

My co-director always had the TV on and we stood around the huge layout bench watching in disbelief as the appalling events unfolded.

I still remember that a sales guy we had working for us acted very strangely, bustling around almost maniacally with his work..looking back he was perhaps trying to pull the day back to 'normal' I guess.

Jyemz

Thrombold's Patented Brisk Weather Pantaloonettes with Inclementometer
    Rain
    • Total Posts : 9736
    Re: WHERE WERE YOU WHEN IT HAPPENED ? 2014/09/11 15:53:31 (permalink)
    I was a security officer, off duty that day. I was still in bed when I got a phone call from my boss telling me to show up asap. 

I had no idea whatsoever what was going on until I actually got to work - the people in the office where I was keeping watch brought me up to speed as to what was happening during their breaks.

At that point, no one in there had seen any image, all the info we had came in from conference calls. It wasn't until after I left work that I saw the footage. My roommates and I all starring at the screen, in absolute disbelief. It felt like the end of the world.

My younger brother who had just arrived in town and was hoping to find work was hired as a security officer on the spot that same evening IIRC - or the next day, but on the spot whenever it was that he showed up. 

TCB - Tea, Cats, Books...
    MandolinPicker
    Max Output Level: -76 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 720
    Re: WHERE WERE YOU WHEN IT HAPPENED ? 2014/09/11 17:02:55 (permalink)
    I was working in the EMS evaluator's buggy that day for DCFEMS. I heard about the first plane on the news station on the AM radio. Stopped at 8 Engine and saw the second plane hit on TV. Left the firehouse and got about two-three blocks away on East Capitol when they hit the box for a report of a plane into the White House. Started to respond on that, and while coming around the Capitol they struck another box for mutual aid to the Pentagon. As I hit Pennsylvania Ave I could see the smoke from the Pentagon. A few more blocks up Pennsylvania Avenue they struck a third box for a report of a car bomb explosion at the State Department. I called my wife, told her not to worry, and not to expect me home anytime soon.

The car bomb turned out to be false. We thought we might relieve the guys over at the Pentagon, but they kept us in an underground garage as a quick response strike team should something else happen. The folks at Shanksville responded to the plane that was heading for the White House, my original call. I've been to Shanksville several times. I always say a prayer of "Thanks" to those folks.

Long day. We lost a lot of really good people.

The Mandolin Picker
    "Bless your hearts... and all your vital organs" - John Duffy

"Got time to breath, got time for music!"- Briscoe Darling, Jr.

Windows 8.1, Sonar Platinum (64-bit), AMD FX 6120 Six-Core, 10GB RAM
    Old55
    • Total Posts : 19791
    Re: WHERE WERE YOU WHEN IT HAPPENED ? 2014/09/11 18:16:33 (permalink)
    I was working second shift on the west coast, so I was expecting to sleep in.  I'd had a terrible night trying to get to sleep and I woke up pretty early without an alarm.  It was like I felt something going on.  Turned on the TV and it took me a moment to figure out what was going.  Then the first tower fell. 

Should auld acquaintance be forgot--hey, who the hell are you guys?  

X2(X3 pending hardware upgrade), Emulator X2, E-mu 1212M, Virtual String Machine
    57Gregy
    • Total Posts : 14404
    Re: WHERE WERE YOU WHEN IT HAPPENED ? 2014/09/12 10:20:31 (permalink)
    Working, at the drape and blind company in Terrell, TX. The seamstresses always had a radio on (usually to some type of music I didn't like) and they interupted their playlist for the announcement of the first strike.
    Like many folks, I assumed it was an accident, since planes have hit buildings many times over the years.
    The second strike proved that idea wrong.
    The ladies were weeping. I was angry.

When I got home from work last night, the room mate was watching "120 Minutes that Changed the World" on History.
    A scene near the end struck me; hundreds of firefighters carrying their gear, maybe a hundred pounds each, walking many blocks toward the towers, and knowing that when they got there they would have to climb perhaps 50, 60, 70 stories to get to the fire.
    And they still did it.

Greg 
    I am selling my MIM Fender Stratocaster HSS, red and black. PM for more details.

Music Creator 2003, MC Pro 24, SONAR Home Studio 6 XL, SONAR  X3e, CbB, Focusrite Saffire, not enough space.
    Everything is better with pie. 

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=609446
    http://www.reverbnation.com/#!/gregfields 
    Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: WHERE WERE YOU WHEN IT HAPPENED ? 2014/09/12 16:49:43 (permalink)
    I was checking out from a hotel in central Finland and noticed a group of people gathered around the TV in the lobby.
    That was at about 10 am north European time (GMT +2), so it had all happened already, both planes etc.
    I quite couldn't believe I really got it right. I went to the car where my colleague was waiting, and told him. He called his wife immediately to make sure she's watching. 

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    sharke
    • Total Posts : 13933
    Re: WHERE WERE YOU WHEN IT HAPPENED ? 2014/09/13 01:44:39 (permalink)
    I remember for weeks afterwards, the absolute first thought on my mind when I woke up every morning was "I can't believe they actually did that." And then I would lie there trying to imagine myself in that cockpit intentionally flying into a skyscraper and just thinking it was impossible that someone would actually bring themselves to do it, then reminding myself that they actually did. I think it was the first time I realized how fanatical and far removed from reality these barbarian refugees from the 7th-century really are. 

Every year around this time there'll be a surge in 9/11 footage videos posted online and I'll always end up amazed at how much I haven't seen. I watched one a couple of nights ago which was 30 minutes of some guy with a video camera wandering around Ground Zero right after the first tower fell when everything and everyone is covered in a thick layer of dust and people are wandering around confused. He gets right into the north tower and wanders around for a bit as cops and firefighters run around frantically. Then he goes back out and films the flaming ruins of the south tower and talks to some of the people around the scene. Pretty soon of course the north tower starts collapsing right above him and what amazed me was, as everyone around him runs for their lives, he not only stays where he is but actually stops to wipe his lens - as it's collapsing - to make sure he gets good footage. It's amazing how people's perception of danger changes when they're behind a camera. 

Of course nothing touches the Naudet brothers' documentary. It's absolutely horrifying footage but probably one of the most historically significant accounts of that day. Your heart rate will double while watching it. 

James
    Windows 10, Sonar SPlat (64-bit), Intel i7-4930K, 32GB RAM, RME Babyface, AKAI MPK Mini, Roland A-800 Pro, Focusrite VRM Box, Komplete 10 Ultimate, 2012 American Telecaster!
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re: WHERE WERE YOU WHEN IT HAPPENED ? 2014/09/13 02:30:13 (permalink)
    I was in my truck, in front of the plumbing shop, waiting for my boss to arrive.
    My wife called and told me the World Trade Center just fell down.
    I told her,"the World Trade center doesn't just fall down". There had to be some mistake.
    Tim, my boss, showed up, we went inside and turned on his 5" black and white TV.
    There was only one tower. What?
    Moments later, tower 2 went down.
    I don't know how long we sat there, trying to absorb what we had just seen.
    The rest of the day is gone, lost in a haze.
    That huge image on that tiny screen is seared into my mind forever.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    Glyn Barnes
    Max Output Level: -0.3 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7564
    Re: WHERE WERE YOU WHEN IT HAPPENED ? 2014/09/13 03:40:16 (permalink)
    I was in Saudi Arabia on an oil camp. There were probably around 20 different nationalities, evey one equally shocked and stunned.

Intel i7 3770K @4.4GHz, 32GB RAM, 240GB SSD System disk, 2 x 2TB and 1 x 1TB (with SSD Cache) HDD. Windows 10,  Sonar Platinum. Roland Quad Capture. 
    Music - Switchwater on Soundclick
    Music - Goldry Bluszco on Soundcloud
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1