I"m having a problem making an exported mixed wave file sound good on my lap top

Author
chuckharpguitar
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 2
2014/09/12 20:37:20 (permalink)

I"m having a problem making an exported mixed wave file sound good on my lap top

Hi I've been recording single tracks with sonar x3 . They sound great on play back through my external sound card and m-audio speakers! But when i export  the audio to a wave file and play the wave file on my lap top speakers  it sound very low quality! whats the best way to get a good sound to put demos on my website?any help would be greatly appreciate!!! thanks

3 Replies Related Threads

Anderton
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 14070
    Re: I"m having a problem making an exported mixed wave file sound good on my lap top 2014/09/12 20:47:11 (permalink)
    I deleted the other thread because it basically asked the same question.

As to sound on your laptop, first, make sure Windows Media Player isn't doing "improvements" to your sound.

Second, a good mastering engineer can help make mixes more "translatable" from one listening environment to another.

The first 3 books in "The Musician's Guide to Home Recording" series are available from Hal Leonard and http://www.reverb.com. Listen to my music on http://www.YouTube.com/thecraiganderton, and visit http://www.craiganderton.com. Thanks!
    RobertB
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re: I"m having a problem making an exported mixed wave file sound good on my lap top 2014/09/13 01:33:21 (permalink)
    chuckharpguitar
     But when i ... play the wave file on my lap top speakers  it sound very low quality! 

You mean it sounds like you are listening on laptop speakers?
    They generally make everything sound low quality. Does any other music sound good on your laptop speakers?
    If so, listen for what is different. 
    Just for grins, create a copy of your project, and work on it using only the laptop speakers, not the external sound card. Get is sounding as good as you can. Don't expect it to sound great. It won't.
    Now, save that project, and re-open it in Sonar, but this time use the external sound card and M-Audio monitors.
    It sounds very different from the original project, doesn't it?
    This is a taste of the "translation" that Craig (Anderton) mentioned. It's about training your ears and understanding how your mix will sound on other systems.
    Listen to it in the car, on your iPod, etc. Treat your friends to a listen of your new creation. While they think you are showing off your new song, you are listening for stuff like no low end, brutal spikes at 5khz, or that snare that sounds like an empty coffee can.
    Bring that knowledge back to your studio and work it into your mix.
    It's going to take time and practice. Lots of it. Don't give up.
    Also, read the posts in the various forums here(Techniques, Songs, etc). You can learn a lot.
    After you have enough posts (25) you can post a song for potentially valuable critique.
    Working with sound is incredibly intricate. I've been doing this for nine years, and I've just scratched the surface.
    Bottom line, don't base mixing decisions on laptop speakers, and again, don't give up.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    chuckharpguitar
    Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: I"m having a problem making an exported mixed wave file sound good on my lap top 2014/09/13 16:17:22 (permalink)
    thanks  for the help ill try your suggestions!!:-)
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1