Z3TA +2 - Sample hold LFO?

Author
DJ Puppeteer
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 1
2014/09/16 21:51:00 (permalink)

Z3TA +2 - Sample hold LFO?

I'm finally really digging into Z3TA +2 after a year or so of casual usage and I have to say I'm quite blown away with it's modulation capabilities, which is one of the leading factors in which synths I choose to use.  With the wide breadth of lfo shapes, however, I was quite surprised to see it lacking a "sample and hold" lfo shape.  I know different manufacturers sometimes call similar features by different names, and was wondering if that is the case here.  Does Z3TA +2 really not have a sample & hold LFO or is it simply called something else?  Any info would be much appreciated, since that is one of my favorite lfo shapes!  Thanks!!!

6 Replies Related Threads

b rock
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 8717
    Re: Z3TA +2 - Sample hold LFO? 2014/09/17 08:43:08 (permalink)
    Random 1,2, or 3?  I'll need to check later (with z3ta+2 in front of me) for how "stepped" those waveforms would be.  That is, the actual "hold" rhythmic portion of classic S&H effects.
    chad
    Max Output Level: -81 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 468
    Re: Z3TA +2 - Sample hold LFO? 2014/09/17 10:49:59 (permalink)
    DJ Puppeteer
    I'm finally really digging into Z3TA +2 after a year or so of casual usage and I have to say I'm quite blown away with it's modulation capabilities, which is one of the leading factors in which synths I choose to use.  With the wide breadth of lfo shapes, however, I was quite surprised to see it lacking a "sample and hold" lfo shape.  I know different manufacturers sometimes call similar features by different names, and was wondering if that is the case here.  Does Z3TA +2 really not have a sample & hold LFO or is it simply called something else?  Any info would be much appreciated, since that is one of my favorite lfo shapes!  Thanks!!!

The Random LFOs 1-3 will get the sound you are after.  Use the Program search for "S&H" and you'll find a few programs from the factory content as starting points.

I've found the z3ta+ LFO capabilities to be really amazing compared to other synths.  You have 4 All Voice LFOs, 2 Per Voice LFOs.  Each of those 6 LFOs can really become a mixture of two LFO shapes with different mixture modes.  It's really quite impressive.  Take the time to explore the different mixing modes.  The LFO mixing modes in z3ta+ are wonderful.

One of my favorite tricks is to use "DC" LFO shape on Waveform 2 with small to medium morph speed with that LFO assigned to filter cutoff.  You can get some really tripped out syncopated filter rhythms going. 

chad
    Re: Z3TA +2 - Sample hold LFO? 2014/09/17 10:52:26 (permalink)
    b rock
    Random 1,2, or 3?  I'll need to check later (with z3ta+2 in front of me) for how "stepped" those waveforms would be.  That is, the actual "hold" rhythmic portion of classic S&H effects.

I just noticed the forums now have "max output level" tracking for post count.  Tom you're at 0 dBFS.    The sound of platinum.
    b rock
    Re: Z3TA +2 - Sample hold LFO? 2014/09/17 12:25:03 (permalink)
    ..."max output level" tracking for post count.  Tom you're at 0 dBFS. 

I guess this post clips me with digital overs.  I see that Craig Anderton is now the "Official Bartender".
    b rock
    Re: Z3TA +2 - Sample hold LFO? 2014/09/17 19:10:33 (permalink)
    Of course, this is just a basic start for unlimited S&H experimentations ...
    Quick & Dirty Classic Sample & Hold Effects in z3ta+2:

Program -> Initialize

[osc]
    [1] -> Vint Pulse 1

[filter]
    Link -> On
    CUTOFF(s) -> Default (542.27 Hz.)
    RESO(s) -> 20.00 dB
    TYPE(s) -> 24 dB/OCT LPF
    LIMITER(s) -> SLOW

[lfo]
    [1] -> WAVE 1 -> RANDOM 1
    SPEED -> 4-6 Hz.

[master]
    LIMIT -> On

[mod]
    SOURCE -> LFO1
    RANGE -> 100%
    CURVE -> PITCH 1 OCT
    CONTROL -> MOD WHEEL
    DESTINATION -> ALL OSC PITCH
    Mod Wheel brings up sample & hold pitch effects.

SOURCE -> LFO1
    RANGE -> 100%
    CURVE -> BI-LINEAR +
    CONTROL
    DESTINATION -> FILTER CUTOFF 1

SOURCE -> LFO1
    RANGE -> 100%
    CURVE -> BI-LINEAR -
    CONTROL
    DESTINATION -> FILTER CUTOFF 2
    Doubled-up routings to spread the filters for emphasis.  Mixable with RANGEs, OSC BUS, etc.

Aside to Chad: Do you know if Random 1-3 are generated waveforms from different random seeds?  Sounds like they are (triggered differently at Note On), and knowing Rene' ...  The static graphics almost imply "clocked random" (sampled wavetables from a random sequence).  But I don't think you could graphically represent them otherwise (without animation).  Just curious ...
    chad
    Re: Z3TA +2 - Sample hold LFO? 2014/09/19 09:13:21 (permalink)
    b rock
    Aside to Chad: Do you know if Random 1-3 are generated waveforms from different random seeds?  Sounds like they are (triggered differently at Note On), and knowing Rene' ...  The static graphics almost imply "clocked random" (sampled wavetables from a random sequence).  But I don't think you could graphically represent them otherwise (without animation).  Just curious ...

Off to top of my head, the 3 different Random Shapes may be based off of white noise, brown noise, and pink noise.  The info isn't in the 2.0 manual.  I need to dig up an old 1.4 manual and see if the details are in there. 
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1