EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5?

Author
marcus3
Max Output Level: -80 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 521
2014/09/21 00:37:44 (permalink)

EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5?

Hi how is everyone? Anyway I'm starting a college for orchestration and film composing.
And require a Orchestra vst EWQL Gold, vienna symphonic or GP Orchestra. 
I like the sound of Vienna and was looking at the vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5 but don't know if I can compose entire orchestra with it. I did comparison of EWQL Gold and vienna ensemble pro 5. EWQL has 33gb library and vienna pro 5 9gb. What everyone opinion? Thanks Marcus

My DAW will be Sonar 8.5 in 32 bit 'because of quicktime' on Windows 7 64 bit and 4GB of ram.

26 Replies Related Threads

cclarry
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 20964
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/21 07:50:30 (permalink)
    I would say, because of your system, go with EWQL Gold...
    It will be less taxing on your system (but still a heavy load)

Vienna will be even more taxing then EWQL, from my experience.
    BOTH require a Dongle...EWQL is Ilok and VP is a Steinberg Key.

ltb
    Max Output Level: -48 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2707
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/21 09:49:00 (permalink)
    There's alot to cover but briefly EWQL & VSL are both excellent. I use both in VEPro5 (which I'd recommend for anyone doing orchestration. One feature is that allows you to keep the all samples loaded in memory so you can close your daw or other projects without reloading again. It's also more efficient using VEPro5 than running them inside your daw.)

I'd first consider budget & goal.
    Do you plan on doing orchestral work or using the libraries in the future?
    There's a learning (& frustration) curve you will have to go through learning & using any of them.

For a student you're best bet might be GPO.
    You won't get the sound quality of the others but it might be a quicker set up able to load more instruments with the small amount of memory you have.
    4GB isn't very much.

It could be your best choice as far as letting you concentrate on your main objective which is orchestration instead of being interrupted with tweaking software/ hanging, crashing, freezing.

Then after your class you could decide to invest in the better & more expensive libraries.
    GPO would be a minor loss compared to the others.
    Good luck!
    cclarry
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/21 12:11:56 (permalink)
    carl
    There's alot to cover but briefly EWQL & VSL are both excellent. I use both in VEPro5 (which I'd recommend for anyone doing orchestration. One feature is that allows you to keep the all samples loaded in memory so you can close your daw or other projects without reloading again. It's also more efficient using VEPro5 than running them inside your daw.)

I'd first consider budget & goal.
    Do you plan on doing orchestral work or using the libraries in the future?
    There's a learning (& frustration) curve you will have to go through learning & using any of them.

For a student you're best bet might be GPO.
    You won't get the sound quality of the others but it might be a quicker set up able to load more instruments with the small amount of memory you have.
    4GB isn't very much.

It could be your best choice as far as letting you concentrate on your main objective which is orchestration instead of being interrupted with tweaking software/ hanging, crashing, freezing.

Then after your class you could decide to invest in the better & more expensive libraries.
    GPO would be a minor loss compared to the others.
    Good luck!

That's good advice Carl...GPO is definitely the least expensive and least taxing
    of the 3...

Kroneborge
    Max Output Level: -65 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1300
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/21 12:21:38 (permalink)
    If you do go with EWQL, they offer periodic sales of 50% off, so don't overpay

Mathew

Hip Hop
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=213418

BreakBeats
    http://www.soundclick.com...ault.cfm?bandID=219099

i7 12 gb ram, Komplete 5, Izotope Ozone & Stutter, Symphonic Orchestra Plat.

MachineClaw
    Max Output Level: -68 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 1116
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/21 12:41:07 (permalink)
    I own EWSO Platinum.  It has been a problem for me since I bought it.  The PLAY engine has not worked for me.  I have been through 3 version releases of the PLAY engine and the upgrades and patch fixes haven't solved my problems.  It has been frustrating when I have bought a major package and it's been nothing but problems with no workarounds.  You cannot resell EW libraries.  once you buy them your stuck with them, even though they are iLok'd and iLok allows a transfer of license with a transfer fee EW do not alow their libraries to be transferred to another user.  It's a $500 brick sitting on my shelf.

Many people have had issues with EW and PLAY engine.  Others have had no issues and swear by EW and the PLAY engine.  I just put that out there, you should read a TON on EW before investing with them.

I do not own Vienna stuff at all.  I have not read any bad reviews of any Vienna products other than the samples are kinda dry and out of the box need to be EQd and played with and yeah need speed and lots of ram for your computer.

If I was starting fresh I would invest in Vienna or maybe Kontakt based libraries like Kirk Hunter, ProjectSAM libraries or something else.
    cclarry
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/21 12:51:59 (permalink)
    I still have the original Kompakt version of EWQL Silver Orchestra.

Not only does the Kompakt Standalone and VST STILL work with Win 8.1,
    my Kontakt 5 also recognizes the samples and will play them.  So I have 2 
    ways of using them.

I've thought numerous times about upgrading to the Play Version when it 
    has been half off.  But I don't use them enough to justify it.

I have many Play instruments and they all work fine in Win 8.1, both standalone
    and VST, but I know many have had problems...

Sycraft
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 871
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/21 14:12:01 (permalink)
    I'm in the same boat as MachineClaw: The Play engine that EWQL uses has been continual problems for me. They been developing it for the better part of a decade now and they STILL can't make it work right. So I'd stay away from any EastWest stuff. It may work for you, but if it doesn't EW will be no help and I wouldn't expect it to get fixed.
    cclarry
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/21 14:57:52 (permalink)
    Time & Space has 40% off on GPO and GIO right now...

http://www.timespace.com/...3/999995/garritan.html

EDIT:  After converting these prices they are not very good
              and not 40% off really.

Jrrshop is about the same and doesn't have 40% off...
    post edited by cclarry - 2014/09/21 15:05:59

Sycraft
    Max Output Level: -73 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 871
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/21 15:57:40 (permalink)
    Just to expound on my EW dislike, my problems with Play lead me to spend $500 on Komplete and then another $500ish on the Kirk Hunter libraries, despite already owning EWQL Platinum, EWQL Symphonic Choirs, and QL Goliath.

They were that problematic that I stopped using them and spend a grand to replace them.

If you are wondering why I've so many, I bought EWQL Gold and Colossus back in the Kompakt days, and they offered an upgrade to the Play editions which I took them up on and because it was such a good deal moved to Platinum and added Choirs. Big mistake :P.
    marcus3
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/21 16:56:00 (permalink)
    Thanks everyone for the replies and yes I hope to have a career in music.

To start off vienna I don't mind the complexity of the software and so far watching the videos don't seem to hard. I also have an extra computer with 4gb. My idea is to install 32 bit on my laptop 'slave' and 64 bit on desktop 'master' if needed I can probably upgraded both to 8gb ram.I'm looking at buying vienna special edition volume 1 bundle.

Now EWQL wow and Berkeley recommends me to buy EWQL. But crashing I don't want deal with that. I just try digital performer 8 demo for past few days because sonar 8.5 didn't work on Windows 8. And let me say DP8 crashed, crashed and crashed on Windows 8 and 7 mostly when closing a project. Another time because wasn't compatible with us 1g audio interface. It was a mess so I went back to 7 and install sonar 8.5 which I like. 

I thought of GPO but if can I like go for vienna. And don't get me wrong GPO sounds pretty decent. 

Thanks

ltb
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/21 17:13:40 (permalink)
    Since you plan on slaving puters VEPro5 would be perfect for you. It used to come with an 8G small orchestra, they may have stopped offering that but keep it in mind while shopping around.
    post edited by carl - 2014/09/21 17:26:41
    marcus3
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/21 17:32:34 (permalink)
    Okay thanks and yes it dose.
    kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/21 18:14:56 (permalink)
    Last I heard VE Pro is a host not really a library.  EW libraries use a lot of resources. 
    Peter Siedlaczek Complete Orchestral Collection is a good one for a little over $200.
    Since you are using 32 bit don't rule out IK's Miroslav.  It's around $100.
    As for workflow it's hard to beat GPO.

As for EW and VE, if you misplace or leave your dongle, you're screwed. In a college environment I'd prefer not to rely on a dongle. 

marcus3
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/21 19:39:13 (permalink)
    hmm that makes sense why GPO can be better but I'm taken online classes however they can breakdown 2 I prefer a real orchestra 3 bundle with Finale which is require. Maybe GPO can get me by for college and as a career. I've listen all the demos of all 3 instruments and there all decent. What is IK's Miroslav? And would that be require if I'm going to use a slave computer? Thanks

marcus3
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/21 19:48:05 (permalink)
    Is there demo trial of EWQL and GPO? 
    kitekrazy1
    Max Output Level: -40 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 3524
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/21 19:53:56 (permalink)
    http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/MiroslavPh-e

Most of the time this library can be had for far less.

BTW Finale uses GPO sounds.
    marcus3
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/21 20:04:56 (permalink)
    I looked at ik miroslavph before and liked it.
    marcus3
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/21 20:12:18 (permalink)
    What about dimension pro I have virtuous 2000 for it and it's bundle with GPO. I also know light on cpu and has articulations.
    I just don't know how set up for orchestra music do each instrument gets it own Dim pro or using multi mode Viola, Violin, Cello, Contra bass are group in 1 Dim pro. Than woodwinds 2nd Dim pro and so on. And I own Dim pro as well run it in 64 bit without any problems. I'm also familiar with the lay out.
    post edited by marcus3 - 2014/09/21 20:53:12
    guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/21 22:24:35 (permalink)
    I've got both Vienna and EWSO Gold (and GPO).  

GPO is easy to learn and easy to use and light on the system.  The quality of sounds and articulations are on a much lower level, but you can get some surprisingly good sounding orchestrations out of it.  

EWSO sounds excellent with some exceptions.  Because Gold uses room mics it practically mixes itself.  Panning is already taken care of and it sounds very realistic.  And it already comes with a bunch of reverbs.  There are a couple issues I don't like about EWSO.  1) the articulations are not consistent among a grouping of instruments.  For example, you'd expect each string section to have the same articulations and they don't.  What's more you're stuck with their programmed Xfades (which are also not consistent) and are forced to use more tracks to accomplish things which is annoying to me.  2) Play can be problematic (I've had my share of crashes). 3) Play is not the easiest to work with.

Vienna is superb although some of the EWSO samples are slightly better IMO.  What I love about Vienna is the programming and ease of use.  Each group of instruments have the same articulations.  And the XFading is very flexible.  It is super well thought out and easy to learn.  The downside is that you will have to work hard to get a good sound with panning and reverb.  It only comes with one reverb which isn't so good.  It CAN sound great, but it doesn't sound great out of the box like EWSO.

I try to use Vienna as much as possible because of the ease of use and its rock solid performance.  But I sometimes use EWSO for specific sounds that I like.

guitartrek
    Max Output Level: -47 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2842
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/21 22:32:29 (permalink)
    marcus3
    What about dimension pro I have virtuous 2000 for it and it's bundle with GPO. I also know light on cpu and has articulations.
    I just don't know how set up for orchestra music do each instrument gets it own Dim pro or using multi mode Viola, Violin, Cello, Contra bass are group in 1 Dim pro. Than woodwinds 2nd Dim pro and so on. And I own Dim pro as well run it in 64 bit without any problems. I'm also familiar with the lay out.

With orchestral music you need control over volume / intensity throughout a phrase using a controller like a mod wheel.  Dimension won't really do that.  You need a true Orchestral package to do that.  GPO does this well.  So does Vienna.

marcus3
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/21 22:39:03 (permalink)
    Hi thanks for the sum up of the programs. I'm not liking the sound of EWQL crashing. I rather upgrade my ram of my laptop and desktop to 8gb each and use Vienna. Sure I heard the sounds can be dry and need to be tweak with reverb and panning. But that less stressful than crashing at least I can use the program. And sonar 8.5 comes with some reverb effects like lexicon or percussion 64 to tweak some sounds.  
    vintagevibe
    Max Output Level: -51 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2446
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/21 22:41:21 (permalink)
    The problem with Gold is that it only has the large hall mic position and you can't get a smaller room sound if you need it.  For a while they sold the other mic positions as an upgrade but they don't any more - you have to get Platinum.  The close mic positions are absolutely necessary IMO.  They library is really gorgeous though.  BTW Play 4 works quite well for me. 

Can you use Sibelius?  It comes with a decent library and is really easy to use the sounds in a score by just typing standard score text and symbols.
    marcus3
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/21 22:42:43 (permalink)
    Okay thanks I looked up Berkelee requirements they said Garritan Collection not GPO. Which Vienna would you recommend Special edition volume 1 bundle or Ensemble pro 5? thanks

marcus3
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/21 22:45:32 (permalink)
    ltb
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/21 22:51:46 (permalink)
    marcus3
    Okay thanks I looked up Berkelee requirements they said Garritan Collection not GPO. Which Vienna would you recommend Special edition volume 1 bundle or Ensemble pro 5? thanks

for a first basic VSL library I'd get Vienna Symphonic Library Special Edition Volume 1 : Essential Orchestra
    http://www.vsl.co.at/en/211/261/2064/2067/1751.htm
    marcus3
    Re: EWQL Gold or Vienna symphonic ensemble pro 5? 2014/09/22 03:25:52 (permalink)
    I downloaded the ik multimedia philharmonic orchestra and every sound or combi I click on I get this message "sounds not found" I instructed it to the sounds folder but still same message. I'm running this in 32 bit and sonar 8.5.
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1