Composing swing beat drums using Softsynth

Author
Switters
Max Output Level: -90 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 3
2014/09/28 09:29:02 (permalink)

Composing swing beat drums using Softsynth

Does anyone know how to compose a simple swing beat pattern using the SI-Drums Softsynth?  Once I make the simple eighth beat pattern using one of the various midi composing tools, I can't seem to select it for Quantizing under the Process menu where I supposedly can convert it to a swing beat.  Is this option only for external midi input?  I don't understand the distinction between a midi track that is composed in Music Creator and one that is externally recorded.  Shouldn't they be open to the same editing capabilities?  Thanks,

8 Replies Related Threads

Kalle Rantaaho
    Max Output Level: -5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 7005
    Re: Composing swing beat drums using Softsynth 2014/09/29 05:26:12 (permalink)
    Welcome to the forum!
    They should open to editing in the same way, yes. Unfortunately I don't know the answer right now. There are two types of MIDI-files, but AFAIK it shouldn't affect the editing (?). One thing I want to tell you: I've "never" achieved usable results with the swing-function. IMO It just more or less randomly creates differences between the notes. It does not have an idea of actual swing, it just messes your timing. If your starting point is an eight bar clip, you could add the swing there manually with better results.

SONAR PE 8.5.3, Asus P5B, 2,4 Ghz Dual Core, 4 Gb RAM, GF 7300, EMU 1820, Bluetube Pre  -  Kontakt4, Ozone, Addictive Drums, PSP Mixpack2, Melda Creative Pack, Melodyne Plugin etc.
    The benefit of being a middle aged amateur is the low number of years of frustration ahead of you.
    Switters
    Re: Composing swing beat drums using Softsynth 2014/09/29 06:12:55 (permalink)
    Thanks for the heads up, Kaile.  I'll just go back to what I was doing before which was taking eighth note triplets and removing the middle beat (is that what you meant by adding the swing manually?).  You don't get control over the swing timing, but its not a bad approximation either.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Composing swing beat drums using Softsynth 2014/09/29 07:36:32 (permalink)
    I saw this post last night and was going to comment..... On a song I was recording many years back, I recall trying to get a beat to "swing" and recall that the result was very much in line with what Kalle mentioned. It ended up as an incoherent mess of beats on and off the beat and nothing close to what I was trying to achieve. I ending up having to "back out of it" with the UNDO function and go a different route.

I used to build my drums manually as you seem to be doing. If you are not a drummer, I would suggest highly that you look into getting a drum synth of one kind or another.   It will streamline the drum process and you end up with some really decent and nice sounding tracks as a result.

My first foray into the world of drum synths was with a synth called JAMSTIX. It did all the creating and allowed me to edit and change as I needed. Multiple drum kits, different player styles, different musical styles, and the ability to tune a kit like I wanted it to sound, and a bunch of other cool features.  JS is just the one I happened to start with...    In JS, there are several sliders to control various aspects of the synth. One of those is the "SWING" factor and as you slide it across, the beat goes from straight to swing and all points in between. It's a true swing just like a real drummer would play.

Addictive Drums is another one that lots of folks use. There are several others. Look around before you buy one. Check out the demos.

No matter which one you choose....look around because there are a number of really nice ones and most if not all provide free demo versions that let you play with them for a few days in fully functional limited kit mode.

I would never attempt to build another drum track after having used a synth.   All the drums in my tunes are one or another drum synth.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    Beagle
    • Total Posts : 50621
    Re: Composing swing beat drums using Softsynth 2014/09/29 07:55:16 (permalink)
    I think also I would add that you can download MIDI loops with swing feel to them.  some are free, others you have to pay for.

here are some of the places you can get MIDI loops from:
    www.groovemonkee.com
    www.toontrack.com
    www.betamonkey.com
    www.mididrumfiles.com
    www.platinumloops.com

those will probably get you started, especially groove monkee has 700 free MIDI loops.  surely there are some swing patterns in there.

http://soundcloud.com/beaglesound/sets/featured-songs-1
    i7, 16G DDR3, Win10x64, MOTU Ultralite Hybrid MK3
    Yamaha MOXF6, Hammond XK3c, other stuff.
    RobertB
    • Total Posts : 11256
    Re: Composing swing beat drums using Softsynth 2014/09/30 12:01:20 (permalink)
    Switters
    Thanks for the heads up, Kaile.  I'll just go back to what I was doing before which was taking eighth note triplets and removing the middle beat (is that what you meant by adding the swing manually?).  You don't get control over the swing timing, but its not a bad approximation either.

That's a good start, but you actually have extremely precise control available. Open the PRV, and set Snap to Grid to Absolute time. Leave the value at 0.000. Turn off Magnetic Strength.
    You'll probably want to zoom in a bit. It's not a bad idea to set loop points.
    I like to set them so I can work a measure at a time. As the loop plays, you can slide your notes around, and dial in the exact swing that you want. This is great for those slightly ahead of the beat notes that bring the swing to life.
    Once you get it where you want, convert your 8 bar pattern to a groove clip, and away you go.

My Soundclick Page
    SONAR Professional, X3eStudio,W7 64bit, AMD Athlon IIx4 2.8Ghz, 4GB RAM, 64bit, AKAI EIE Pro, Nektar Impact LX61,Alesis DM6,Alesis ControlPad,Yamaha MG10/2,Alesis M1Mk2 monitors,Samson Servo300,assorted guitars,Lava Lamp

Shimozu-Kushiari or Bob
    BenMMusTech
    Max Output Level: -49 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2606
    Re: Composing swing beat drums using Softsynth 2014/10/01 20:10:33 (permalink)
    It's one of those hard ones, I'm not too sure I have been entirely successful but sometimes the best way to achieve this sort of thing is to physically do and listen till you have it right.  The other way is to physically separate the midi tracks into individual instruments i.e. kick, snare ect and use a midi quantize plug.  this way you can have the kick on the beat, the snare just behind the beat and the hi hat in front.  This is my preferred option.

Ben   

Benjamin Phillips-Bachelor of Creative Technology (Sound and Audio Production), (Hons) Sonic Arts, MMusTech (Master of Music Technology), M.Phil (Fine Art)
    http://1331.space/
    https://thedigitalartist.bandcamp.com/
    http://soundcloud.com/aaudiomystiks
    Switters
    Re: Composing swing beat drums using Softsynth 2014/10/01 22:53:18 (permalink)
    Thanks for all these great suggestions.

I think the best compromise I can come up with right now is adjusting the timing of the swing beat to occur at 680 which is between the third eighth triplet (640) and the last 1/16 note (720).  I also reduce the velocity of the swing beat by ~20% to make it sound a bit more human.  After that, its just cut and paste.
    gogofifacoins
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re: Composing swing beat drums using Softsynth 2014/10/18 02:38:21 (permalink)

wow,i  agree with you

we like  fastfifa14.com/FIFA-15.Coins without reason without reason
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1