Theoretically?

Author
blindhorse
Max Output Level: -89 dBFS
  • Total Posts : 93
2014/09/30 17:59:40 (permalink)

Theoretically?

Consider I want to make a clinical recording with as little room influence as possible, would the following assumption be valid?

If I have a room with x/cubic ft of space, and using formulae in relation to listening position and harmonic collision, I determine that x% in the horizontal xy plane is the optimum listening position, would not increasing this position by .33%, provide me with a likewise suitable listening or recording position?

Of course the variables are infinite regarding hardware and software choices, but imagine it is a simple instrument track with a simple mic and monitor setup.

just wondering
the blind horse

5 Replies Related Threads

dmbaer
    Max Output Level: -49.5 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 2585
    Re: Theoretically? 2014/09/30 18:48:43 (permalink)
    First, I suspect you meant to say 33%, not 0.33% - right?

I don't know where you're getting 33% from though.  Assuming the room was symmetrical in all dimensions, you could say this: any point will have the same sound characteristics as a symmetrically placed point, assuming all walls have the same flatness, reflectivity, etc.
    Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Theoretically? 2014/09/30 19:07:04 (permalink)
    Use midi with synths and samples but don't use reverb.

As with many things theoretical, it's probably not very practical.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    blindhorse
    Re: Theoretically? 2014/09/30 19:41:00 (permalink)

I must say, that even though the query was not very well worded, both of you answered my question.  I figured as much, but I needed to dialogue with someone.

With that in mind, I have another question, (feel free to move me.)  Is the "sweet spot" dependent on both the creator, and listener; and does the sweet spot change over time/generations?

How does this impact the way you approach recording?

Of course there is the "norm," which fluctuates over time; but are we hamstrung by the bell curve. or is the bell curve really a circle?

What recording/composition/performance techniques have mattered most over time?

Sorry to be so abstract random, but the new forums don't have a tab for "esoteric extrapolations."

the blind horse

Guitarhacker
    Max Output Level: 0 dBFS
    • Total Posts : 24398
    Re: Theoretically? 2014/10/01 07:53:43 (permalink)
    blindhorse

Sorry to be so abstract random, but the new forums don't have a tab for "esoteric extrapolations."

the blind horse

You have much to learn.... yes we do... it's called: The Coffeehouse 

as far as sweet spots.... and bell curves.....

Bell curves.... I try not to be found near the top of the curve.... but generally on the right hand side near the base line.

Sweet spot. I hear people talk about such things, but I don't really pay much attention to them or the concept of which they speak. I record and playback music in my humble studio and with the acoustics and setup and room shape and all the other factors.....I'm probably on the left side of this bell curve..... I simply try to make things sound as good as I can without having to deal with the so called sweet spot. 

I understand the concept and know that it sounds best in the small area right in front of the speakers..... other parts of the room have varying levels of satisfying acoustics....

Having said that.... I do have ARC, and I have run the setup on it..... and I do find myself leaning back looking for that point of triangulation to hear the proper stereo image from time to time.

My website & music: www.herbhartley.com

MC4/5/6/X1e.c, on a Custom DAW   
    Focusrite Firewire Saffire Interface

BMI/NSAI

"Just as the blade chooses the warrior, so too, the song chooses the writer 
    blindhorse
    Re: Theoretically? 2014/10/01 16:58:20 (permalink)
    Thanks for the info guitar hacker, I'll check out that coffee house. 

I checked out some of your tunes on your website.  I like your style.  It sounds kind of like country music.  You are a good song smith.  Keep up the great work.  Nice motorcycle picture.  I can tell by the other pics that you have a special relationship with you family.  That is cool.

the blind horse
    Jump to:
    © 2024 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1